Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Victoria cruising at the moment. Let's hope one (if not both) of Jewell and Quiney push on to 100.

Meanwhile North's day of reckoning has come. 4/176. We need a big innings here.

And Clarke comes to the rescue....putting his troubles behind him...just the tonic he and his team need...scoring a century.

4/316 at stumps

Clarke 100* (10 x 4's; 2 x 6's)

North 52*

Meanwhile at the G the Vics are in a great position now: -

Vics 2/177 (lead by 225 runs)

Jewell 70

Quiney 73

Hussey 18*

Finch 5*

Well batted Michael Clarke.

And Clarke comes to the rescue....putting his troubles behind him...just the tonic he and his team need...scoring a century.

4/316 at stumps

Clarke 100* (10 x 4's; 2 x 6's)

North 52*

Meanwhile at the G the Vics are in a great position now: -

Vics 2/177 (lead by 225 runs)

Jewell 70

Quiney 73

Hussey 18*

Finch 5*

That is a top effort from Pup Clarke after the shameless Media Circus that has followed his every move. SHAME CH 7 SHAME.

I have always had my doubts about clarke but the next 6-12 months might be the making of his career.

North turns it on just when needed.

Go the Big V put those Banana Benders away....

Well, I guess you have to congratulate North on his century. Whether he likes it or not, he was lucky to keep his spot, but he's done exactly what he needed to do.

Interestingly, on each tour North's had, he's scored a century in the first innings of the tour (debut in South Africa, Cardiff in the Ashes, now Wellington). Plus his first innings of the summer (a 70 something) was his highest for the summer. So it'll be interesting to see if he keeps going through this tour.

As for New Zealand, again it's Vettori that saves them. It borders on ridiculous how many times he comes to the crease with the team in strife. But he's reliable and skilled. Good man.

And Victoria's done the job in the Shield final. Lead by 629 runs. Payback for a few years ago when Queensland batted till they reached 900.

Well, I guess you have to congratulate North on his century. Whether he likes it or not, he was lucky to keep his spot, but he's done exactly what he needed to do.

You do. When you get a soft attack bowling at 125kmh you cash in. He did. And you Mr Hussey?????

NZ 0/36 in their follow on, after losing 6 wickets in an hour to be bowled out for 157. Doing well to not have lost a wicket so far, but they're a long way behind with about half the Test remaining. Weather permitting, a win is on the cards for Australia.

And at the MCG, White is bowling himself for the first time in who knows how long. He'll say it's because Wright can't bowl, but truth be told, I reckon he's hoping he picks up a couple of wickets, if only to show selectors he can do anything Steven Smith can do.

You do. When you get a soft attack bowling at 125kmh you cash in. He did. And you Mr Hussey?????

To be fair, their bowlers are OK, and conditions were slightly worse for Hussey than for North. But he still failed.

I can't understand how the same man can be so utterly dominant at ODI cricket (he rarely gets dismissed for less than 30 and he always, always, does his job), yet one week later when the whites come on he suddenly looks timid and fails. The answer might be to drop him down the order, as he bats at 6 in ODIs. Clarke is more than good enough to bat at 4, and North might actually benefit from moving up the order.

Clarke announced. I wonder if he will be allowed to return. Time will tell if Bingle will let him go. :lol:

I think he answered all the critics and their vitriol......

To be fair, their bowlers are OK, and conditions were slightly worse for Hussey than for North. But he still failed.

Their "quick" bowlers are pedestrian without Bond and O'Brien. Even their own commentators think so.,,and that's a big admission for them.

The conditions were fine. The batsman got themselves out not the bowlers.

Awesome win to Victoria. Quite unbelieable that Queensland could bowl for 2 days to take just 9 wickets, and we take half a day to take 10.

Big gap in ability between the two sides, and it showed in the final. Queensland only made it this far due to their tail continually chipping in, and when they don't, like this match, they don't score enough runs.

But superb stuff from Victoria to fight back from 6/75 to win by 450+. Wade MOM, and deservedly so.

Also, NZ are 5 down in their follow on innings, still 140 runs or so behind. At least Vettori's still in.

And also, Bangladesh have just made 419 runs against England. That's pretty good for them. More so considering they were 8/314.

Their "quick" bowlers are pedestrian without Bond and O'Brien. Even their own commentators think so.,,and that's a big admission for them.

The conditions were fine. The batsman got themselves out not the bowlers.

The ball was swinging when Hussey came in. By the time North came in (not too long after though), it wasn't swinging as much.

Still, it's true to say that their bowlers aren't exactly top-class (Vettori aside). Pakistan's were a lot better.

I think he answered all the critics and their vitriol......

Agree.

Superb win for the Vics, giving them back-to-back. Given the circumstances early on day 1 it was a wonderful performance. Man of the match M.Wade. :)

Edited by High Tower

Game over. Australia 0/106, Hughes scoring 86 off 75, Katich 18 off 65. NZ bowled out early for 407.

Hughes is going to feel very hard done by if Watson is fit, as it seems unlikely the selectors would drop Hussey to keep Hughes in the team. But once again, as it was through 2009, Hussey seems the most vulnerable of our batsmen, and he was the only one not to look at all comfortable in this Test.

Game over. Australia 0/106, Hughes scoring 86 off 75, Katich 18 off 65. NZ bowled out early for 407.

Hughes is going to feel very hard done by if Watson is fit, as it seems unlikely the selectors would drop Hussey to keep Hughes in the team. But once again, as it was through 2009, Hussey seems the most vulnerable of our batsmen, and he was the only one not to look at all comfortable in this Test.

He has had one good knock on a flat deck with an ordinary attack that was already one down. He knows the requirement. Next time he will take his opportunities when they come. Good to see its competitive for some spots in the team.

If Hussey goes I would prefer Smith or White to Hughes and move Clarke up.

There is absolutely zero chance of Cameron White ever holding a permanent test spot. Rightly or wrongly he's been stereotyped and discarded for tests just like the likes of Michael Bevan and Nathan Bracken were.

There's three possibilities contingent on Hussey going. Until Hussey is gone which is surely on the horizon (next two or so years), the status quo will remain -- Hughes, Smith and co will fill gaps as they appear, but the core team will remain constant. Once Hussey is out the door, the three possibilities I see, in likelihood order are:

1. Hughes to open, Watson to go down the order, Smith to remain on the fringe. I hate the idea of breaking up Watson and Katich from the opening partnership and I'm sure the selectors will too, however I think this is the best way to get all of the best available players in to the side at once.

2. Openers stay as is, Clarke to move to 4, Hughes in the middler order (5 or 6). Hughes is an opener, but this has worked in the past with the likes of Hussey, who was a permanent shield opener before finally getting the nod. Nobody seems to be a fan of this option, but I am.

3. Smith in to the middle order (6), Hughes to remain on the fringe (biding time until Katich is in the gun, not yet on the horizon). Smith is a good bat and a good bowler -- is he/can he be elite with either? Hughes is a pretty safe bet for being a fantastic test batsman for years to come. I'd prefer to go with the near-sure thing, rather than hedging my bets with Smith.

North's century changed the entire equation, really. The selectors showed an enormous amount of faith in him by bringing him to NZ despite a woeful summer. They're not going to drop him now that he has finally paid back what he owed them.

There is absolutely zero chance of Cameron White ever holding a permanent test spot. Rightly or wrongly he's been stereotyped and discarded for tests just like the likes of Michael Bevan and Nathan Bracken were.

You wouldn't say that if he was Tasmanian!! :)

3. Smith in to the middle order (6), Hughes to remain on the fringe (biding time until Katich is in the gun, not yet on the horizon). Smith is a good bat and a good bowler -- is he/can he be elite with either? Hughes is a pretty safe bet for being a fantastic test batsman for years to come. I'd prefer to go with the near-sure thing, rather than hedging my bets with Smith.

I like Smith but Hughes has to bide his time. It will come

North's century changed the entire equation, really. The selectors showed an enormous amount of faith in him by bringing him to NZ despite a woeful summer. They're not going to drop him now that he has finally paid back what he owed them.

Its clear that Ponting does back his players, Clarke, North and Hauritz when it gets tough.

Hehe, you wouldn't be championing his selection if he wasn't Victorian! :P

I just get the impression White's not on the Australian selectors' radar, that's all.

If he was from NSW then he would be in.

You're probably right there Nasher about the selector's radar. If he does not get another Test by the end of next summer while maintain good Shield form then he never will

Selectors would have had the blinkers off during the clarke-bingle drama. white may have been in the back of their minds for the Test team if things continued on their course off-field. Clarke's personal decision may have now put the selectors minds to rest re: captaincy.

White might well have to take a back seat regarding future test selection.

1. Hughes to open, Watson to go down the order, Smith to remain on the fringe. I hate the idea of breaking up Watson and Katich from the opening partnership and I'm sure the selectors will too, however I think this is the best way to get all of the best available players in to the side at once.

2. Openers stay as is, Clarke to move to 4, Hughes in the middler order (5 or 6). Hughes is an opener, but this has worked in the past with the likes of Hussey, who was a permanent shield opener before finally getting the nod. Nobody seems to be a fan of this option, but I am.

I think the second is more likely than the third. I think Hughes is actually better suited to batting at 6, where he can counter-attack if necessary, or pile on runs before a declaration. His practice with opening the innings also allows him to take things slow if required. So I think he could bat down the order, allowing the Watson-Katich partnership to be preserved.

Agree, and you have to give them credit for this. Most (me included) didn't think North deserved his spot in the team, but he did what was required. Hopefully he carries his form through the series, and into the Ashes.

Agree, and you have to give them credit for this. Most (me included) didn't think North deserved his spot in the team, but he did what was required. Hopefully he carries his form through the series, and into the Ashes.

It was too easy. He wasnt breaking up with his gf too was he????? B)