Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

After day two the balance of the game is slightly in our favour but, as has often happened in the past, it's very much in Bell's hands.

Interesting tactics from England. They've gone very slowly with their batting today, when they're still 200-odd runs behind and 2-0 down in the series. Maybe they're trying to force our bowlers to spend a long time in the heat, and at least get out with a draw, but if we can get Bell early tomorrow we'll put ourselves in a good position to have a decent lead before we bat again.

As you say though, it's all Bell. If he gets in, we might be behind on first innings.

It's going to be tough for England to get out of this if we can restrict them to under 320 tomorrow. They'd need to get a lot more than that to draw level in this match. They'd probably need a lead of 60+.

Batting last on this wicket could prove a difficult assignment. The cracks on the wicket will almost certainly get worse as the match goes on ... and one or 2 of those cracks are right in the line of the stumps.

Bell is the stumbling block but if wickets keep falling at the other end, he may end up succumbing before he gets a big score. He's a class player and we might be best served to keeping him as quiet as possible.

Couple of poor shots from Cook and Pietersen today. Cook's shot was a bit out of character but KP is making a habit of his mode of dismissal. His was an awful shot, given the circumstances.

All in all, it's advantage Australia.

Test Match Special - England under pressure again (includes an interview with Craig McDermott)

Edited by Macca

Agree on Pietersen. I had the pleasure of dining with some friends last night at the Railway Hotel in Port Melbourne where the proprietors have installed strategically placed television sets for sports viewing. I had just finished saying how well Pietersen was batting and keeping his head down when he came up with that cross bat shot that was so embarrassing, not just in the context of this game and the series but at any time outside of 20-20.

Whilst at the pub, I noticed Tuddy patronised the place (reckon he must have spent a fair bit of time at the bar :wub: but definitely looked fit and enjoying himself) and also saw one of our trainers (Spike?) there as well.

Recommend the place, especially during a Perth Test Match.

On the Root DRS issue, if the lack of a hot spot and the lack of anything on real snicko is not considered conclusive evidence, then what is? What would have been required for the third umpire to overturn that decision? A visible gap between bat and ball?

It seems that not out decisions are easier to overturn than out decisions (compare Smith with Root), which flies in the face of cricket's mantra that the benefit of the doubt rests with the batsman, doesn't it?

Regarding the Root decision, I can only assume that the noise registered on snicko created enough doubt that Root may have hit it, therefore the on-field umpire's decision is upheld. The fact that the ball appeared to have passed the bat seemingly wasn't enough. There obviously needed to be NOTHING on snicko and NOTHING on hot spot to be deemed conclusive. I also heard that supposedly hot spot isn't reliable in extreme heat? Which would make the whole thing even more farcical.

I agree that there should always be a place for the fundamental of cricket that is benefit of the doubt going to the batsman. Perhaps they are also accounting for respecting the on-field umpire's decision, and only overturning when it is beyond doubt that a mistake has been made.

I'm beginning to think DRS is more trouble than it's worth and maybe the Indians are onto something. It was there to overturn the howlers, but instead has become a mechanism of review for any decision where there MIGHT be a chance of a wrong decision, no matter how slight. Basically it is being misused, which was perhaps inevitable. I think the number of times it can be used should be restricted further, but that's another story.

Regarding the Root decision, I can only assume that the noise registered on snicko created enough doubt that Root may have hit it, therefore the on-field umpire's decision is upheld. The fact that the ball appeared to have passed the bat seemingly wasn't enough. There obviously needed to be NOTHING on snicko and NOTHING on hot spot to be deemed conclusive. I also heard that supposedly hot spot isn't reliable in extreme heat? Which would make the whole thing even more farcical.

I agree that there should always be a place for the fundamental of cricket that is benefit of the doubt going to the batsman. Perhaps they are also accounting for respecting the on-field umpire's decision, and only overturning when it is beyond doubt that a mistake has been made.

I'm beginning to think DRS is more trouble than it's worth and maybe the Indians are onto something. It was there to overturn the howlers, but instead has become a mechanism of review for any decision where there MIGHT be a chance of a wrong decision, no matter how slight. Basically it is being misused, which was perhaps inevitable. I think the number of times it can be used should be restricted further, but that's another story.

I think this has to be the case. This article suggests that, where a sound on snicko comes in the frame or two after the ball passes the bat, it can still be the ball hitting the bat. Which is rather confusing, really. And if Hot Spot isn't reliable in the heat, or if there is tape on bats, or whatever, then it's not worth using.

I think the doctrine used by Hill here was to not disturb the on-field umpire's decision unless the evidence goes conclusively against it, and that is a fair doctrine. In the end, Erasmus gave Root out, so the real beef should be with him as much as the DRS. The issue facing cricket, though, is that there is no point having the DRS if it can't get rid of bad decisions due to flawed technology. That appears to be the situation at the moment, which is far less than ideal.

I don't think it's being misused anymore. In England it was; we continually used it to review LBW decisions where we thought there might have been a chance it was outside the line or missing the stumps, which is not what it's there for. However, I think that's been stopped now (case in point - in Adelaide, last ball of Day 2, Johnson hit Carberry on the pads, was given not out, we didn't review it because it looked like a decent enough call, but turns out if we had reviewed it it would have been out. Umpire thought it was going down the leg side, which was fair enough). Mind you, there haven't been many LBW appeals this series (one LBW wicket all series so far in fact), so it might heat up as we keep going.

I agree it is being used better, particularly by Clarke. It was also noteworthy that it was Watson on the right side of the Root dismissal. He typically hasn't had the best relationship with DRS. Perhaps they have kissed and made up.

I'm still open to a restriction on the number of times it can be used in an innings in order to meet the original intent, and please get rid of these stupid no ball reviews for every wicket. One of the great things about cricket, indeed sport in general, is its imperfections.

Siddle!!!

It's going to be tough for England to get out of this if we can restrict them to under 320 tomorrow. They'd need to get a lot more than that to draw level in this match. They'd probably need a lead of 60+.

Batting last on this wicket could prove a difficult assignment. The cracks on the wicket will almost certainly get worse as the match goes on ... and one or 2 of those cracks are right in the line of the stumps.

Bell is the stumbling block but if wickets keep falling at the other end, he may end up succumbing before he gets a big score. He's a class player and we might be best served to keeping him as quiet as possible.

Couple of poor shots from Cook and Pietersen today. Cook's shot was a bit out of character but KP is making a habit of his mode of dismissal. His was an awful shot, given the circumstances.

All in all, it's advantage Australia.

Test Match Special - England under pressure again (includes an interview with Craig McDermott)

well on our way Now.

wickets have been falling this test before lunch & after tea it seems.

we have to screw them after lunch.

Siddle!!!

well on our way Now.

wickets have been falling this test before lunch & after tea it seems.

we have to screw them after lunch.

I might describe it in a slightly different way but I get your drift :)

It's been an amazing turnaround if, as expected, we go on and win this Test to go 3-0 up (thus securing the Ashes) Sport occasionally throws up these sort of victories. There are a lot of factors at play but nearly all those factors have been in our favour.

The cracks on the wicket are another big factor now. We got our runs before the cracks appeared the way they have. As it is turning out, it has been another very important toss to win.

I might describe it in a slightly different way but I get your drift :)

It's been an amazing turnaround if, as expected, we go on and win this Test to go 3-0 up (thus securing the Ashes) Sport occasionally throws up these sort of victories. There are a lot of factors at play but nearly all those factors have been in our favour.

The cracks on the wicket are another big factor now. We got our runs before the cracks appeared the way they have. As it is turning out, it has been another very important toss to win.

the wicket is following the Poms form, they're both cracking; Up. ;)

...... and I think the Aussies have followed your hint, their giving them a right Rogersing.

a happy home fixes most things if you have the tools. from there, skills can get better; & then the kids can come thru. same for melbourne...

but our competative aggressive culture has to be the foundation.

Edited by dee-luded

We're only 50 runs away from setting them a world record run chase, so fair to say things are looking pretty good given the way England have been batting.

I reckon they might just bat normal for the first hour and then throw the bat for 20-30 minutes and set them something around the 450 mark for victory. Give themselves the best part of 5 sessions to bowl England out. But they may bat longer, who knows???

You wonder what England can do for the remainder of the series, especially if Broad can't ake any further part? It's a long, long way back for the right now....

What a morning. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. 134 runs at 8 an over.

The Watson dismissal is one of the most comical things I've seen on a cricket field. Junior cricket stuff. Very Watson-esque.

28 run over from Bailey. Equalling the record set by Lara.

And then, after all that, Cook goes for a golden duck off a Rhino jaffa.

Hard to top.

Well, still a fair bit of work to do tomorrow, with 5 wickets still needed (maybe 4, given Broad didn't look great practicing in the nets).

The evening session was definitely our worst bowling of the series. We didn't build the pressure we've been usually building, our lengths were also generally too short. If we keep bowling like that, we'll struggle to bowl them out.

Nonetheless, they'll have to bat most of the day to make the remaining 253 runs, and you'd think we're good enough to take those wickets. I've seen stranger things happen, though, and with Bresnan still to come, you never know.

Well, still a fair bit of work to do tomorrow, with 5 wickets still needed (maybe 4, given Broad didn't look great practicing in the nets).

The evening session was definitely our worst bowling of the series. We didn't build the pressure we've been usually building, our lengths were also generally too short. If we keep bowling like that, we'll struggle to bowl them out.

Nonetheless, they'll have to bat most of the day to make the remaining 253 runs, and you'd think we're good enough to take those wickets. I've seen stranger things happen, though, and with Bresnan still to come, you never know.

Your not wrong TU, I think we saw our bowlers looking tired for the first time this series in the afternoon session. That coupled with probably a little bit nervous as to what they know is ahead...

I expect McDermott would of had a good word to them overnight and hopefully we'll see a much improved performance today. Only 13 overs till the new ball also, so that will be telling.

I'd open with Harris & Johnsons, even if just for two overs each and then rest them before the new ball and let Lyon and possibly Watson go to work on them with the old ball for the next 9 overs. If England were to chase down 504 (86 runs more then the current world record for a 4th innings chase) then they deserve to win. But I'm not to nervous yet. If Stokes & Prior add another 100 runs without a wicket going down, then I'll start to feel a little concerned, but it's extremely unlikely to occur.

it's hard to believe the pich is playing so well with what looks like some of the worst cracking i've seen (a mobile phone virtually disappeared in one crack)

if lyon can't get something out of this pitch his reputation for failing to mop up in fourth innings deciders will grow

I would be a lot more nervous if they were only 3 down heading into today. Given Bell and KP pretty much threw their wickets away after getting themselves settled, that could've been a real possibility.

We absolutely should get the job done now, especially with Broad on one foot, but you never know in this game. Prior is horribly out of form but is capable of making a big score.

Good to see the poms finally showing a bit of fight, but it's come far too late me thinks.

it's hard to believe the pich is playing so well with what looks like some of the worst cracking i've seen (a mobile phone virtually disappeared in one crack)

if lyon can't get something out of this pitch his reputation for failing to mop up in fourth innings deciders will grow

I wonder if those shallow type dropin pitch boxes will be as good in the perth heat as over here. maybe they need be a bit deeper, or with a different soil.

Your not wrong TU, I think we saw our bowlers looking tired for the first time this series in the afternoon session. That coupled with probably a little bit nervous as to what they know is ahead...

I expect McDermott would of had a good word to them overnight and hopefully we'll see a much improved performance today. Only 13 overs till the new ball also, so that will be telling.

I'd open with Harris & Johnsons, even if just for two overs each and then rest them before the new ball and let Lyon and possibly Watson go to work on them with the old ball for the next 9 overs. If England were to chase down 504 (86 runs more then the current world record for a 4th innings chase) then they deserve to win. But I'm not to nervous yet. If Stokes & Prior add another 100 runs without a wicket going down, then I'll start to feel a little concerned, but it's extremely unlikely to occur.

I agree, start with Harris and Johnson, then after 2 overs each move to Watson/Siddle/Lyon until the new ball is good to go, then back to Harris and Johnson. We have to break this partnership quickly (preferably by getting Stokes out). If we let these two settle and add another 80-100, bringing the deficit down under 200, the nerves will start to set in, and the English tail is renowned for pulling batting performances out of nowhere when there is something on the line. Broad will bat if they can push things to tea/beyond (i.e. if we take 3 quick wickets in the morning, he might not bother).

We're certainly not home and hosed as some seem to think, though you'd clearly rather be in our shoes than theirs.

The cracks really don't seem to be that menacing, despite their appearance. There weren't too many deliveries yesterday that went berzerk (though some started to keep low, troubling Bell). I wonder if maybe they're just not in the perfect position for us to exploit. Hopefully today it's better for us.

I would be a lot more nervous if they were only 3 down heading into today. Given Bell and KP pretty much threw their wickets away after getting themselves settled, that could've been a real possibility.

We absolutely should get the job done now, especially with Broad on one foot, but you never know in this game. Prior is horribly out of form but is capable of making a big score.

Good to see the poms finally showing a bit of fight, but it's come far too late me thinks.

I'm still nervous, even at 5 down. 250 runs in a day is not unheard of, despite it being Day 5, and England have everything to play for. There's this small part of me that recognises that, Brisbane and Adelaide aside, we've been awful this year, and yesterday was a combination of our worst bowling and possibly their best batting.

We should be able to take 5 wickets (might only need 4 if we get a few early, but I think Broad will bat), and we should be able to wrap this up without too much fuss, but we'll need an early wicket. If they're still 5 down at lunch, we'll be in huge trouble.