Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

From the 'Mirror' online ... England have been utterly outplayed - and the truth is that it could be too late to salvage the Ashes

Test Match Special Podcast ... England defeated by 218 runs (includes interviews with both captains)
The predicted forecast for the first 3 days in Perth ... hot, dry and 36 degrees.

Win the toss and bat,...and bat..

Although other here may have other ideas. :wacko:

England should change things up a bit with their bowling line-up. Anderson will be praying for the doctor to fire up so he can finally produce some swing in this country with the Kookaburra. Swann needs to put on more revolutions although he may struggle in Perth. I'd still play him, despite cries for him to be dropped. He can get critical wickets - and boy do they need them. I'd play Rankin in Perth with bounce on the menu.

Cook is having a mare of a series to date with Johnson and Harris keen to bowl to him, having had success. The skipper needs to lead with his bat, to give his team a chance.

As I stated yesterday, unchanged line-up for the Aussies if all fit. Lyon can still play a small part in Perth.

P-man

id say Watson sadly out of form

he hasn't wasted one referral yet.he must be struggling

when hes wasting referals and plodding his front foot down the wicket,then hes in form

Win the toss and bat,...and bat..

Although other here may have other ideas. :wacko:

England should change things up a bit with their bowling line-up. Anderson will be praying for the doctor to fire up so he can finally produce some swing in this country with the Kookaburra. Swann needs to put on more revolutions although he may struggle in Perth. I'd still play him, despite cries for him to be dropped. He can get critical wickets - and boy do they need them. I'd play Rankin in Perth with bounce on the menu.

Cook is having a mare of a series to date with Johnson and Harris keen to bowl to him, having had success. The skipper needs to lead with his bat, to give his team a chance.

As I stated yesterday, unchanged line-up for the Aussies if all fit. Lyon can still play a small part in Perth.

Our cricket has improved dramatically. We seem totally switched on and there's a real purpose to just about everything we've done so far. It's been quite a revelation to a lot of fans - these are the best kind of wins.

As for England, I'm not sure they can right the ship enough to challenge. What do they do about Johnson? The wheel has turned and the Aussies will be going in for the kill.

And yep, win the toss and bat! :)

I agree that the team looks focused and up for the contest from the first ball, but it's also worth noting that England's catching has been abysmal. If they had held onto some at the GABBA, it could be a different story.

Right now their confidence is shot. Beefy thinks a draw is still possible. He should probably just keep his mouth shut after predicting a 5-0 whitewash. He may end up being right, just picked the wrong team on the end of it.

Edited by P-man

Our cricket has improved dramatically. We seem totally switched on and there's a real purpose to just about everything we've done so far. It's been quite a revelation to a lot of fans - these are the best kind of wins.

As for England, I'm not sure they can right the ship enough to challenge. What do they do about Johnson? The wheel has turned and the Aussies will be going in for the kill.

the changes that were needed have been made since the india/england debacles

GONE=after seemingly having no standard for referals,this has changed for the good

BOWLING=lyon was our best bowler in india and was shafted for the first 2 tests in england,reinstated and should of been

MITCH=glad the pie throwing days may be over,poms dont like the pace and 3 over spells.somebody has helped with tactics

BATTING=stick with smith at 5/6 and let him get 35 tests under his belt.good decision

ROGERS=hopefully having a defensive minded player at the top will lots of overs out of oppo bowlers

sometimes the worst can make you hungry and teach you how to improve and this has happened,

even if the lose this series ,the lessons will hopefully make them stick with class and not start the rotating of players every time we lose syndrome

with the bowling line up mostly settled pattinson/starc/cummings and others will get soild shield seasons under thier belt and gain more experience and knowledge

the changes that were needed have been made since the india/england debaclesGONE=after seemingly having no standard for referals,this has changed for the goodBOWLING=lyon was our best bowler in india and was shafted for the first 2 tests in england,reinstated and should of beenMITCH=glad the pie throwing days may be over,poms dont like the pace and 3 over spells.somebody has helped with tacticsBATTING=stick with smith at 5/6 and let him get 35 tests under his belt.good decisionROGERS=hopefully having a defensive minded player at the top will lots of overs out of oppo bowlers sometimes the worst can make you hungry and teach you how to improve and this has happened,even if the lose this series ,the lessons will hopefully make them stick with class and not start the rotating of players every time we lose syndromewith the bowling line up mostly settled pattinson/starc/cummings and others will get soild shield seasons under thier belt and gain more experience and knowledge

It will be a nice problem to have when Cummins, Pattinson and Starc are all fit and raring to go. Bird has a bit to offer as well.

The cricket they are playing is the same kind of level of cricket that I witnessed first hand at Old Trafford. The big and only difference is Mitch Johnson for Starc. And a fit and firing Johnson in great nic with the ball at that.

The Aussies showed more elsewhere at Durham.

I agree these are the best kind of wins, but for me it's not so much a revelation collectively. That said, Mitch Johnson has most definitely been a revelation and full credit to him and his mentors who have him on song.

The cricket they are playing is the same kind of level of cricket that I witnessed first hand at Old Trafford. The big and only difference is Mitch Johnson for Starc. And a fit and firing Johnson in great nic with the ball at that.

The Aussies showed more elsewhere at Durham.

I agree these are the best kind of wins, but for me it's not so much a revelation collectively. That said, Mitch Johnson has most definitely been a revelation and full credit to him and his mentors who have him on song.

It seems like DKL is the only one who gets him firing.

On another note-from those test teams we picked earlier my boys David Warner ,Stu Broad and Joe Root are firing .

Who had Mitch Johnson?

On another note-from those test teams we picked earlier my boys David Warner ,Stu Broad and Joe Root are firing .

Who had Mitch Johnson?

Just took a look. Django had Johnson.

And it's fair to say my team has crashed in price. For a start, Trotty is being examined on the couch back in the mother country. Tendulkar has now retired after a last innings 74 (better than many....hehe) and Starc has been put back at the end of the line thanks to the rejuvenated Johnson.

Who had Mitch Johnson?

Just took a look. Django had Johnson.

And it's fair to say my team has crashed in price. For a start, Trotty is being examined on the couch back in the mother country. Tendulkar has now retired after a last innings 74 (better than many....hehe) and Starc has been put back at the end of the line thanks to the rejuvenated Johnson.

My bowlers have done ok, I had Rhino Harris, Ravi Ashwin & Morne Morkel, but apart from that I've struggled.

I had Cook & Sehwag openning, Cook's hit struggle street and Sehwag's finished. Younis Khan at 3 who's been ok and Angelo Mathews at 4 who's only just approaching test match since I selected him now!

Colin Munro at 5 hasn't added to his 1 test, Matty Wade as the keeper at 6 lost his spot and Dwayne Bravo at 7 hasn't got back into the Windies team. I also had Abdul Rehman who hasn't played a test for some time!

Fair to say my XI hasn't been far from England's level over the last two tests....

My bowlers have done ok, I had Rhino Harris, Ravi Ashwin & Morne Morkel, but apart from that I've struggled.

I had Cook & Sehwag openning, Cook's hit struggle street and Sehwag's finished. Younis Khan at 3 who's been ok and Angelo Mathews at 4 who's only just approaching test match since I selected him now!

Colin Munro at 5 hasn't added to his 1 test, Matty Wade as the keeper at 6 lost his spot and Dwayne Bravo at 7 hasn't got back into the Windies team. I also had Abdul Rehman who hasn't played a test for some time!

Fair to say my XI hasn't been far from England's level over the last two tests....

Wow, interesting to look back on those.

I have Cheteshwar Pujara, who's had a great year, plus Ian Bell (enough said) and Shivnarene Chanderpaul, who's also been OK. I got Brad Haddin at bargain-basement prices, for clear rewards, as well. Boult and Herath have been OK this year.

However, I also had Dean Brownlie, Steve Finn and Mohammad Hafeez, who have all fallen out of favour with their respective sides. Jackson Bird looked promising in England but would be fifth or sixth in line now. So just so-so from me.

For those of us champing at the bit for more cricket leading up to the 3rd test, the 2nd Test between New Zealand & West Indies starts in Wellington in the net 15 minutes or so. It appears the Windies have won the toss ona green top and are sending New Zealand in.

Windies unchanged from the last test it appears and for New Zealand Kane Willimason returns from injury at the expense of Redmond. I'm suprised New Zealand didn't bring any fresh bowlers in given the bowled for 8.5 sessions straight in the last test. Was a great effort from the West Indies to save that match (help from the weather gods also I know).

Two pretty even matched sides, so could be an interesting remainder of the series. On a further note to this match, I know it's a green top and that's why the Windies have ellected to bolw obviously. But given the amount of work the New Zealand bowlers had to do in the last test and they haven't made any changes, I wonder if Sammy's missed a trick here by not electing to bat and hope to catch the Kiwis a little flat?

Lunch Day 1:

New Zealand 2/79

R. Taylor 32*

K. Williamson 21*

H. Rutherford 11

D. Sammy 1/20 (8)

T. Best 1/33 (6)

S. Gabriel 0/6 (8)

Pretty good session for the black caps considersing they've been sent in on a greentop. Fulton out LBW first ball but then overturned on review. Windies have dropped two catches including Taylor in single figures who they're still yet to dismiss this series.

Horrible bolwing by Tino Best, I know Roach & Rampaul are injured, but how he gets a gig I don't know? They'd be better off going back to Fidel Edwards or with the raw Sheldon Cottrell in my opinion.

If New Zealand can still be batting by stumps tonight you'd have to say the day's belonged to them!

Does the crowd outnumber those in the field, TD?

Haha, not far off P-Man.

Which is a shame, cause they've got the makings of a decent team New Zealand. Their quicks just need a bit more penetration, they have some talented batsmen around.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Tall Defence

Tea Day 1:

New Zealand 3/186

R. Taylor 70*

K. Williamson 45

B. McCullum 37*

T. Best 2/47 (11)

D. Sammy 1/63 (18)

N. Deonarine 0/5 (2)

Well disaster for the Windies winning the toss and bowling and the opposition being 3/186 at tea on a greentop. Ross Taylor dropped on 0 has hurt them, but they were very ordinary in that second session.

The problem the Windies seem to have is their bowling is very ordinary. I understand both Roach & Rampaul are injured, but surely there are others out there better then Best & Gabriel. Fidel Edwards & Sheldon Cottrell for starters. Also Darren Sammy isn't a threatening enough bowler to be 1st change and his batting isn't good enough to be top 6, so it puts a question mark on his position as a whole?

The problem the Windies seem to have is their bowling is very ordinary. I understand both Roach & Rampaul are injured, but surely there are others out there better then Best & Gabriel. Fidel Edwards & Sheldon Cottrell for starters. Also Darren Sammy isn't a threatening enough bowler to be 1st change and his batting isn't good enough to be top 6, so it puts a question mark on his position as a whole?

It's a very awkward position for them. They've made Sammy captain, they don't seem to have a suitable replacement, so they can't change that, which means they can't drop him. He's not good enough to bat in the top 6, nor is he a very good bowler, so he shouldn't be playing I don't think.

Very happy with my batting lineup as of recent times - Clarke, Taylor, Du Plessis, Bravo, Gambhir and Dhoni performing well.

Bowling aside from Johnson is not very good though. Anyone know where Ajantha Mendis is theses days? Just another mystery spinner to disappear into the annals of cricketing history?

Think Mendis is still doing decent things in T20, but unsure where he is with his test match playing? They have a series coming up against Pakistan, so we may see him there?

Taylor dropped for the 2nd time today, this time on 122 and a much simpler chance then when he was on 0.

The wheels are falling off for the Windies...

Stumps Day 1:

New Zealand 6/307

R. Taylor 129

K. Williamson 45

C. Anderson 38

T. Best 2/66 (14)

N. Deonarine 1/39 (16)

S. Gabriel 1/56 (18)

What can you say. A horrible day for the Windies and the black caps well and truely in the box seat!