Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

He looked alright from what I saw, but it looked like a very good spinners wicket.

Pakistan bowled 29 of its 47 overs with spinners, including 10 from an opening bowler. 3-94 from 29 overs in total.

Also, without having seen any footage, I've heard that Krejza bowled quite well. Seems like he got some bounce to go with his turn, which is good, as that will improve his wicket-taking ability immensely.

Krejza did bowl well, and deserved more than one wicket, without getting those faint edges.

Brett Lee was outstanding. We just didn't get out of 2nd gear whilst batting.

Will india play for a win or a quiet loss tonight? The result will make for very different opponents.....

As Umar Akmal batted Pakistan towards victory, Lee, who still had three overs up his sleeve, was not recalled until the 40th over. By that stage Pakistan needed only 10 runs.

It was pretty clear that if the game went 50 overs we were going to lose. Thus, I can't understand why Ponting didn't bowl Lee out earlier.

PS. White must be in trouble.

Krejza like Tait have not been successes on this tour. I thought Krejza was predestrian against Pakistan where his only wicket was a poor shot by the Paki batsman. The conditions in this match and for most of the tour were tailor made for spinners and Krejza was lacklustre.

He is certainly not the only ordinary performer. However for a guy given an opportunity from the blue, he has done little to impress in my opinion.

Although the pitch was poor with inconsistent bounce, the batting was indeed poor with poor shot selection by Watson, Clarke and Hussey. White ran himself out on a suicide run to complete his trail of misery since Christmas. I would drop White for David Hussey who at the very least can provide some offies.

While at the end of his career, Lee has been a standout of the bowlers. After that bowling has been D grade or thereabouts with both Canada and Kenya showing up the deficiencies. Tait and Johnson have been poor.

Some months ago, I thought we would struggle to get to the semis and after Australia get done by India on Thursday then the ACB should start a careful examination of the side for the future covering both on and off field matters. On form it would be a miracle if we beat India at home. The outcome of this tournament was not unexpected. The spate of injuries before the tournament sapped a struggling Aust side of some glimmer of upside. But the options to replace incumbents or correct issues are not as clear cut or simple to resolve. The hard decisions will need to be made. Ponting should be "retired". White has blown a big chance to have scaled the mountain to the top. Clarke is streaky in form and I am not sure he is the best option in the short term. But who else is there? Brad Haddin??? Hmmmm

It was pretty clear that if the game went 50 overs we were going to lose. Thus, I can't understand why Ponting didn't bowl Lee out earlier.

PS. White must be in trouble.

I thought that too. Ponting gave Tait I think three overs at the time when Pakistan required ~35-40 runs. After Tait's second over - which was unsuccessful and wayward a little - I thought at the time, right bring Binga on now with about another 20-25 runs required. Krejza and Tait bowled another 3 overs between them after that and by then they only needed 10 runs. Granted, Ponting probably could have opted for Lee instead of Tait, so in essence it probably was a bad call given the figures of the respective bowlers. But I thought he definitely should have mixed it up a bit and brought Lee on two overs earlier. A double whammy you could say. I wonder what Clarke would have done in Punter's absence ? Doesn't matter now, it's all been done.

I think they just have to bite the bullet now and select D.Hussey for White. Hussey provides a bowling option and arguably Hussey is a better bat facing spin as opposed to White. No brainer for me. White has had all Summer to put forward his case - ample opportunities - and IMO probably a bit fortunate to have remained in the side with Mike's recall.

Just on Krejza { I haven't really commented on him } - I query his field placings and also that of the captain for his bowling. Not so much against Pakistan, but the previous game his first two overs were horrible ( Canada I think ?), he repeatedly bowled down leg side and even bowled around the wicket ! Which left me bewildered (being a spinner myself). He had a deep fine leg and was milked for around 6-7runs (all singles* !) down to fine leg, before (highlighted to emphasize) one of Ponting, White or Clarke suggested either Krejza either bowl to his field ! or bring fine leg up !?

* = After the third single I screamed at the TV for Punter to bring fine leg up (Tait) or get Krezja to go over the wicket - or get him off ! After each subsequent single after that - well, you don't want to know what i said ! [i'll leave it to the imagination]

I would have said - being Captain and all :P -, "Jason, either you bowl over the wicket and get it on or just outside off stump or you're on the first flight out of here, I'll bring Hussey in."

I think Ferguson should come in for White, and Hussey for Smith. Ferguson was batting very well for Aus before he got injured, and since Smith isn't getting much of a bowl he should be judged on how whether he's a better bat than a potential replacement. I'd take Hussey - he can roll the arm over if needed.

I don't think we can do much in terms of bowling, given only Hastings is on the bench.

Watson

Haddin

Ponting

Hussey M

Clarke

Ferguson

Hussey D

Johnson

Lee

Kreza

Tait

Just on Krejza { I haven't really commented on him } - I query his field placings and also that of the captain for his bowling. Not so much against Pakistan, but the previous game his first two overs were horrible ( Canada I think ?), he repeatedly bowled down leg side and even bowled around the wicket ! Which left me bewildered (being a spinner myself). He had a deep fine leg and was milked for around 6-7runs (all singles* !) down to fine leg, before (highlighted to emphasize) one of Ponting, White or Clarke suggested either Krejza either bowl to his field ! or bring fine leg up !?

Roebuck referred to Ponting having to give Krejza remedial bowling coaching on the field.

On the brigher note go Tassie Tigers for the Sheffield Shield.

I think Ferguson should come in for White, and Hussey for Smith. Ferguson was batting very well for Aus before he got injured, and since Smith isn't getting much of a bowl he should be judged on how whether he's a better bat than a potential replacement. I'd take Hussey - he can roll the arm over if needed.

I don't think we can do much in terms of bowling, given only Hastings is on the bench.

Agree re: Smith. He's not bowling, and when he does it's not any good anyway. David Hussey's bowling is better, and so is his batting. Should be in the side. White I'm not so sure about. Ferguson was good back in 2009 but White could be the factor that wins us a quarter/semi final.

Agree re: Smith. He's not bowling, and when he does it's not any good anyway. David Hussey's bowling is better, and so is his batting. Should be in the side. White I'm not so sure about. Ferguson was good back in 2009 but White could be the factor that wins us a quarter/semi final.

I like White, but he's been in a prolonged slump. He does have power hitting that we would very much like, but if he can't stay at the crease it doesn't matter how far he can hit the ball. I'd be interested to know whether he also seemed out of form in the nets.

I think Ferguson was amongst the runs late last year, and IIRC he looked okay against England in his two games (including one run-a-ball 45-ish).

I like White, but he's been in a prolonged slump. He does have power hitting that we would very much like, but if he can't stay at the crease it doesn't matter how far he can hit the ball. I'd be interested to know whether he also seemed out of form in the nets.

I think Ferguson was amongst the runs late last year, and IIRC he looked okay against England in his two games (including one run-a-ball 45-ish).

Agree, White's not in form at all. But against India, the possibility of White going off like he did in Vizag last year (his last meaningful innings btw) appeals a lot more to me than a potential run-a-ball 30-50 from Ferguson. Of course, White could easily make a duck, but we beat England 6-1 and won 4 out of 5 group WC matches with nothing from White, so if he can find some form we can only go skywards.

The key, though, is not the batting IMO, as India's bowlers aren't that good. The key is to prevent their batsmen from setting a big total or running down whatever we post. They are good enough to make 400 if the pitch is amenable. Sehwag, Tendulkar, Kohli and Yuvraj are all in top form, and Dhoni, Pathan and Gambhir add to a stellar top 7. We have to bowl tight, with plenty of short stuff, and not let them get away.

If you look at how the team is selected it sends out a very clear message: "We aren't good enough to win the World Cup so we're going to have to fluke it"

If we picked a team that had our most solid, effective bowlers and our most clinical batsmen, then we still wouldn't be good enough to beat South Africa. By picking Tait, White, Smith, Krezja etc, we are still unlikely, but if one of them comes off then we are a real chance.

Given that, White stays in the team no matter how badly he's hitting it. Why? Because if he does rediscover form in a game then he can single handedly win us a game a la Symonds in 2003. We won't drop Tait for Hastings, (or Bollinger when he was there) because Tait could possibly single handedly win us a game against South Africa if he clicks.

Basically we aren't good enough, but if we throw a Hail Mary or two then our chances increase from 0% to something above 0%. Albeit not far above 0%!!

If you look at how the team is selected it sends out a very clear message: "We aren't good enough to win the World Cup so we're going to have to fluke it"

If we picked a team that had our most solid, effective bowlers and our most clinical batsmen, then we still wouldn't be good enough to beat South Africa. By picking Tait, White, Smith, Krezja etc, we are still unlikely, but if one of them comes off then we are a real chance.

Given that, White stays in the team no matter how badly he's hitting it. Why? Because if he does rediscover form in a game then he can single handedly win us a game a la Symonds in 2003. We won't drop Tait for Hastings, (or Bollinger when he was there) because Tait could possibly single handedly win us a game against South Africa if he clicks.

Basically we aren't good enough, but if we throw a Hail Mary or two then our chances increase from 0% to something above 0%. Albeit not far above 0%!!

Correct. We're relying on the hope that if it all clicks (i.e. Tait, Lee, Johnson all bowl fiery spells, and Watson, Haddin, White launch into some power hitting) we can beat the better teams. But our 'regular' form, if you like, isn't good enough.

South Africa and Sri Lanka's regular form will beat us most days.

Given that, White stays in the team no matter how badly he's hitting it. Why? Because if he does rediscover form in a game then he can single handedly win us a game a la Symonds in 2003.

Is/was David Hussey out of form for a prolonged slump ?

I think David Hussey is a better player of spin than that of White and the additional aspect is that D.Hussey offers another option of slow bowling (spin) - also helps out with the over rate in getting through his overs (not that that is a huge factor in proceedings !).

David Hussey can turn it on with the bat. Because he has a reasonable record against spin, gives him the nod over White for me.

Is/was David Hussey out of form for a prolonged slump ?

I think David Hussey is a better player of spin than that of White and the additional aspect is that D.Hussey offers another option of slow bowling (spin) - also helps out with the over rate in getting through his overs (not that that is a huge factor in proceedings !).

David Hussey can turn it on with the bat. Because he has a reasonable record against spin, gives him the nod over White for me.

For those reasons he should be playing, but not in White's spot. In Smith's.

Smith is not going to win us a game off his own bat, nor off his bowling. White, in current form, won't either. But he could, and that for me is the difference.

David Hussey provides middle-order stability and is equally good with the ball as Smith. Then, if White gets going, we're actually a chance.

For those reasons he should be playing, but not in White's spot. In Smith's.

Smith is not going to win us a game off his own bat, nor off his bowling. White, in current form, won't either. But he could, and that for me is the difference.

David Hussey provides middle-order stability and is equally good with the ball as Smith. Then, if White gets going, we're actually a chance.

Fair point titan. Point taken.

My only concern here (Smith for D.Hussey) would be given the reports of the pitches to be played on - they could well be slow turning wickets. Could we do with slow bowling options ie. have Smith & D.Hussey ? Furthermore White doesn't seem to handle the spin when batting.

From the vibe I get reading through reports, they might just stick fat and go in unchanged.

I disagree with the reasoning presented here.

First, carrying someone who is out of form doesn't help you win, regardless of how good they could be - it hurts you unless they turn it around.

Second, you don't need guys who are able to smash it out of the park on a consistent basis to win (a run a ball gets you 300, after all).

Third, Ferguson has a better strike rate than White.

Well they did what I wanted, but unfortunately White again failed to live up to his end of the bargain. If we win who knows if he will keep his spot again. I hope he does, but that was a poor innings ended with a terrible shot.

Ponting's currently on 86. I'd absolutely love to see him go on and make 100.

Ponting 102 not out.

243-5 two overs to bowl.. Wack anything now!!!

Update...Ponting out for 104....is that his last innings????

At least we have set the Curries a target...

Edited by why you little

Ponting 102 not out.

243-5 two overs to bowl.. Wack anything now!!!

Update...Ponting out for 104....is that his last innings????

At least we have set the Curries a target...

Well considering he is playing on regardless (unless he gets a tap on the shoulder) it definitely will not be his last innings. Ponting has stated as such. And CA have backed him in the Bangladesh series following the World Cup.

Masterful innings, supreme temperament at the crease in over 40 C. Best I've seen him move his feet for some time, from the outset today. Not many in the world can play an innings like that, under that amount of pressure in a quarter final of a World Cup for his country. I can think of three - Ponting, Tendulkar and maybe Kallis of the current crop. Steve Waugh of the recent past.

Ponting may have just had a big say in the journey of winning the 2011 World Cup. That's how big the innings was. Stand up Australia.

Well considering he is playing on regardless (unless he gets a tap on the shoulder) it definitely will not be his last innings. Ponting has stated as such.

Masterful innings, supreme temperament at the crease in over 40 C. Best I've seen him move his feet for some time, from the outset today. Not many in the world can play an innings like that, under that amount of pressure in a quarter final of a World Cup for his country. I can think of three - Ponting, Tendulkar and maybe Kallis of the current crop. Steve Waugh of the recent past.

Ponting may have just had a big say in the journey of winning the 2011 World Cup. That's how big the innings was. Stand up Australia.

I agree. I don't buy that we can't win the World Cup, or that our chances are near zero. We need to win three consecutive games and no teams - not even SA - are looking unbeatable. We're certainly not favourites, but it's a pretty open season. (I reckon most teams are lucky this World Cup isn't on a more seam-friendly continent, because SA would be super hard to beat then).

I agree. I don't buy that we can't win the World Cup, or that our chances are near zero. We need to win three consecutive games and no teams - not even SA - are looking unbeatable. We're certainly not favourites, but it's a pretty open season. (I reckon most teams are lucky this World Cup isn't on a more seam-friendly continent, because SA would be super hard to beat then).

sure we can win, but we have to bowl real well, and we have just used up a review early. This game is going to go right down to the wire.

Tait and johnson need to be spot on tonight. Cometh the man.

15.6 Lee to Tendulkar, 1 run, Sachin survives, how did he manage that, he backed away initially before deciding to late cut in the air, the ball looped slowly to Krejza at third man, he looked to have it covered, maybe was a bit slow in coming forward, maybe lost it in the lights, dropped just short of him

Argh.