Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Has there ever been a loss in a Test Match where the first day is lost due to rain, we've put on over 400 in the first dig, and lost it inside 4 days?

Agree with Titan.

After day 2 the squad and contingent most likely thought blue skies had finally arrived....

Cricket can be a funny and and also unforgiving game.

• Like 1

I'm a disillusioned Victorian supporter.

I think we have a captain with very low intelligence.

What a catastrophic decision to send Tassie in on a perfect pitch, when all our fast bowlers were out injured, and we had the best (?only) spinner in the match.

I think it was a gutless decision. White saw a bit of greenness in the track, thought about Hilfenhaus, and tried for the easy option. He does it over and over again. There is no inspiration or leadership skill in his demeanour. And he's too scared to bowl himself, even after getting 3 for 4.

He just made enough runs at the end of the season to get another contract after a shocking first two thirds of the season.

I say drop him, and make McDonald captain if he's fit again next year.

I hear what you;re saying Jumping Jack.

I actually think that one of White or Hussey may be in the firing line this off season. We've probably underachieved for a few seasons now and White's leadership and the ageing Hussey who despite just scoring a century did have a very ordinary season underperformed.

McDonald or Finch (if he could score runs against the red ball) would be good options to lead the Bushrangers. With McDonald coming back into the Victorian middle order (4-7) next seson as well as Maxwell who I don't think will be a permanent member of the Aussie team, not yet anyway and whoever our keeper is (Wade, Handscomb or Carters) that leaves only one spot in the middle order between White and Hussey as neither of them will bat at 3.

Rogers and Quiney will keep their spot at the top of the order with Finch, Handscomb or Hill hopefully capable of takign the no 3 spot.

I can see change coming next season and it will be at the expense of one of White or Hussey in my opinion.

Losing a Test after making 400 in the first innings is bad. Losing that Test in 4 days is pathetic. Our fight to the end masks that.

David Warner's series has been terrible. The manner in which he has gotten out belies his bad attitude and inability to change his game to the conditions. Swiping at a half-volley without moving his feet in the opening over was just despicable; in previous Tests he's gotten out sweeping hastily, too. I know he's made a couple of half centuries, but these batting tracks are roads and we should be getting runs out of everyone. His attitude is a problem.

Hughes got a rough deal, but I doubt he'd have gone much further with that innings, he looked bogged down against spin. He's still a problem.

Henriques is terrible, shouldn't be playing. He's riding on credits earned from his batting in the first Test, but that's not fair. He has to be able to bat in the top 6 or be a frontline bowler. He's neither. Get him out of there.

Smith did his best, but Smith showed how bad his bowling is, meaning he has to be a top batsman to hold his spot. His 92 was good, but if he holds his spot, he needs to lift his average and score runs heavily, as he's not close to an all-rounder. If he can't average 40+, he can't stay. I don't hold high hopes for him doing this.

I thought Siddle's effort was fantastic; Starc bowls well at times, but goes missing for far too long. Doherty is pathetic, Lyon tried much harder but just isn't good enough to get Indians out in India.

We will be able to take 20 wickets in England. Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Johnson, Bird, Hilfenhaus, Cummins, Hazlewood, Harris. Lyon will also bowl better with the bounce he should get from English pitches. I'm confident we can bowl them out, we just need to be able to score more than them (highly unlikely, at this stage).

To me, Clarke and Siddle are the only two members of the current XI who are certainties for the first Ashes Test.

Can't fault to much of what you said there Titan, although I think Pattinson gets a start in the first Ashes test even before Siddle does.

Sadly there's no obvious answer.

Warner I think has enough brownie points in the bank to excuse a poor series in India, but he'll want to play well in the Ashes.

Hughes I'm now convinced just wont make it at Test level, and there's no shame in that. Michael Bevan and Nathan Bracken couldn't make it at test level but had very good ODI careers, maybe Hughes falls into that category?

I think you're right about Henriques and his first class career suggests so. This is a reason why we need Watson back bowling and Mitch Marsh to come on. I don't think there's much of an international career ahead for Henriques, will probably be an Ashes squad member due to McDonald and Marsh missing most of the Shield season but beyond that I can't see much ahead.

Smith I also agree, don't think he's quite a good enough batsman and certainly not a good enough bowler yet. Maxwell has his measure in both fields and I don't think Maxwell's ready yet either. I'd rather see Bailey, Burns, Voges, Klinger or Khawaja playing ahead of Smith as a batsman.

We will do betetr on the bolwing front over in England then in India no doubt. I see us sending 5 fast men, Pattinson, Siddle, Cummins (If he gets through the Australia A series in the lead up), Starc and Bird over there with Harris, Hilfenhaus and Johnson coming into consideration also.

Fawad Ahmed will hopefully have his citizenship by then and be over there also with Lyon as his back up. If Doherty or god help us Michael Beer make it over there then we're in serious trouble.

By the First Ashes Test with any luck our XI may look something like:

Chris Rogers

David Warner

Ed Cowan

Michael Clarke

George Bailey

Shane Watson

Matthew Wade

Peter Siddle

James Pattinson

Patrick Cummins

Fawad Ahmed

Other Squad Memebrs:

Usman Khawaja

Steven Smith

Moises Henriques

Brad Haddin

Jackson Bird

Mitchell Starc

Nathan Lyon

I hear what you;re saying Jumping Jack.

I actually think that one of White or Hussey may be in the firing line this off season. We've probably underachieved for a few seasons now and White's leadership and the ageing Hussey who despite just scoring a century did have a very ordinary season underperformed.

McDonald or Finch (if he could score runs against the red ball) would be good options to lead the Bushrangers. With McDonald coming back into the Victorian middle order (4-7) next seson as well as Maxwell who I don't think will be a permanent member of the Aussie team, not yet anyway and whoever our keeper is (Wade, Handscomb or Carters) that leaves only one spot in the middle order between White and Hussey as neither of them will bat at 3.

Rogers and Quiney will keep their spot at the top of the order with Finch, Handscomb or Hill hopefully capable of takign the no 3 spot.

I can see change coming next season and it will be at the expense of one of White or Hussey in my opinion.

Can't fault to much of what you said there Titan, although I think Pattinson gets a start in the first Ashes test even before Siddle does.

Sadly there's no obvious answer.

Warner I think has enough brownie points in the bank to excuse a poor series in India, but he'll want to play well in the Ashes.

Hughes I'm now convinced just wont make it at Test level, and there's no shame in that. Michael Bevan and Nathan Bracken couldn't make it at test level but had very good ODI careers, maybe Hughes falls into that category?

I think you're right about Henriques and his first class career suggests so. This is a reason why we need Watson back bowling and Mitch Marsh to come on. I don't think there's much of an international career ahead for Henriques, will probably be an Ashes squad member due to McDonald and Marsh missing most of the Shield season but beyond that I can't see much ahead.

Smith I also agree, don't think he's quite a good enough batsman and certainly not a good enough bowler yet. Maxwell has his measure in both fields and I don't think Maxwell's ready yet either. I'd rather see Bailey, Burns, Voges, Klinger or Khawaja playing ahead of Smith as a batsman.

We will do betetr on the bolwing front over in England then in India no doubt. I see us sending 5 fast men, Pattinson, Siddle, Cummins (If he gets through the Australia A series in the lead up), Starc and Bird over there with Harris, Hilfenhaus and Johnson coming into consideration also.

Fawad Ahmed will hopefully have his citizenship by then and be over there also with Lyon as his back up. If Doherty or god help us Michael Beer make it over there then we're in serious trouble.

By the First Ashes Test with any luck our XI may look something like:

Chris Rogers

David Warner

Ed Cowan

Michael Clarke

George Bailey

Shane Watson

Matthew Wade

Peter Siddle

James Pattinson

Patrick Cummins

Fawad Ahmed

Other Squad Memebrs:

Usman Khawaja

Steven Smith

Moises Henriques

Brad Haddin

Jackson Bird

Mitchell Starc

Nathan Lyon

Not a bad squad 'TD'. Possibly find room for a Doolan or a Burns though - maybe both. Might be a surprise pick or 2 - there often is. The squad will no doubt be dubbed "The worst to ever tour". Think I'm right in saying the last time that happened was in 1989. The 2005 squad were favoured to win and the 2009 team had high hopes as well (We'd cleaned up England 5 - 0 in 2006/07) 1989 remains as one of my favourite ever series and the 4 - 0 series win came as a complete surprise. It all came together in the batting. Who knows how this 2013 squad will fare? I'm not confident but you never know.

I was of the opinion that Cummins wasn't going to come up for England but would be ecstatic if he was fit and firing for the Ashes. We're quite well off for seamers so that area of our team is probably not the main concern. Let's hope that Fawad Ahmed is ok to go. Our batting is a major worry and it looks like we're in all sorts again in this Test (currently 5 - 118). The wicket is already giving up a fair bit of spin. Ojha and Ashwin are again looking mighty dangerous.

Edited by Macca

How much longer can we keep carrying Warner? His irresponsible batting is getting beyond control.

Cowan becomes the third (at least) Australian to get out sweeping. That's really dumb.

Watson's not in good enough form to be in the side, let alone captain.

The decision to give Wade out looked a shocker.

Lol Johnson thought they were appealing for a stumping.

They may as well try and smack a few. Trying to hang around against these 3 spinners on this track ain't gonna work.

If we lose 4 - 0, is that the 1st time since 1969/70 in South Africa? We lost 5 - 1 to England in 1978/79 but that was during the WSC years. Bob Willis described our team then as our 3rd eleven! (Lambs to the slaughter was an aptly named book by Graham Yallop)

Some of the dismissals today have been embarrassing.

I think it's also important to note that the conditions in India are unique.

These are strange pitches for Australian batsmen and bowlers, and the style of bowler India has is ideally suited to the conditions. If you look at the spinners that India has (that are successful) you will note that they are spinners that would not do well in Australia (or most pitches).

Indian spinners are accurate and bowl mainly sidespin. In Australia these balls just go straight because there's no purchase in the pitch, and Indian spinners have very little success in Oz. Aussie spinners have to bowl with lots of overspin to get the bounce, which is dangerous on our pitches (like Lyon, but also mainly leggies). But the lack of speed and bounce in India means that these balls spinner slowly and predictably. Indian spinners, with their darty, accurate sidespinning deliveries, can get good variation with fairly pedestrian deliveries. They don't need many revs (as seen by Jadeja) to turn the ball. Too many revs can mean being ineffective because you know every ball will turn.

What does this mean? Our batsmen have seen very little of this bowling, and have had to respect it even less. Our bowlers aren't used to being played so easily.

But, most of all, I don't see this as being detrimental to our Ashes preparation at all. It's irrelevant. The game will be won and lost with pace and the ability to deal with it. India means nothing.

Also, India is going to do well at home with these pitches, but it will ruin them overseas because they will have the same problems we have had in India. The difference is that there's only really one place in the world that has conditions just like India.

I think it's also important to note that the conditions in India are unique.

These are strange pitches for Australian batsmen and bowlers, and the style of bowler India has is ideally suited to the conditions. If you look at the spinners that India has (that are successful) you will note that they are spinners that would not do well in Australia (or most pitches).

Indian spinners are accurate and bowl mainly sidespin. In Australia these balls just go straight because there's no purchase in the pitch, and Indian spinners have very little success in Oz. Aussie spinners have to bowl with lots of overspin to get the bounce, which is dangerous on our pitches (like Lyon, but also mainly leggies). But the lack of speed and bounce in India means that these balls spinner slowly and predictably. Indian spinners, with their darty, accurate sidespinning deliveries, can get good variation with fairly pedestrian deliveries. They don't need many revs (as seen by Jadeja) to turn the ball. Too many revs can mean being ineffective because you know every ball will turn.

What does this mean? Our batsmen have seen very little of this bowling, and have had to respect it even less. Our bowlers aren't used to being played so easily.

But, most of all, I don't see this as being detrimental to our Ashes preparation at all. It's irrelevant. The game will be won and lost with pace and the ability to deal with it. India means nothing.

Also, India is going to do well at home with these pitches, but it will ruin them overseas because they will have the same problems we have had in India. The difference is that there's only really one place in the world that has conditions just like India.

Agree, especially re: Lyon. He cops a lot (even getting dropped) for not taking wickets when people expect them on India's turners, but India's pitches are so much drier than ours, it's a different type of spin that gets wickets. Lyon's a better bowler in Australia (and South Africa, even), where the pitches bounce more. His best bowling is when he gets bounce, not when he gets ripping turn.

The reality is that apart from Clarke, the rest of our batsmen struggle against quality spin bowling. Our performance in India has been poor. Now our blokes have to cope with quality seam bowling on decks that could seam around a bit. Swann and/or Panesar will provide a handful as well.

We are going to have to bowl exceptionally well and our batsmen will need to post some big scores in the forthcoming Ashes. Big centuries are required and Cowan, Hughes, Watson and Warner need to start converting their starts. (that's if they all play). We need a no.6 batsman as well.

Our batting line-up in England could include 1 or 2 other batsmen not currently in India. If Watson is bowling then he's good value and we will probably need a 5th bowler in England. Henriques' bowling in England could be effective but can he bat in the top 6? He impressed in his debut and he should be given more opportunities. Wade should bat at 7. Smith seems to have come back a better player but it's difficult to judge him on an overall basis. It remains to be seen whether he's improved against quality seam bowling. Khawaja is another player who has a nice technique and just needs some more opportunities.

Our side is far from settled and touring the subcontinent hasn't helped things at all. A lot will depend on how the selectors view things. They could wield the axe or they could understand that the tours are vastly different and pick the squad accordingly.

England bat a lot better than our blokes and that's where the advantage lies. Plus their spinners are far superior to ours. We can match them in the fast bowling stakes. We need to get a lot better and that can happen. '89 was a great example of how things all came together. Fawad Ahmed could prove to be a factor if he's available and picked.

Given that there is usually at least one draw in an Ashes series in England, we'd possibly have to win 3 Tests in England to regain the Ashes. 2 wins might do the trick but then there would have to be 2 draws. Can we stop England from winning more than 1 Test in a 5 Test series in England?

Edited by Macca

Not a bad squad 'TD'. Possibly find room for a Doolan or a Burns though - maybe both. Might be a surprise pick or 2 - there often is. The squad will no doubt be dubbed "The worst to ever tour". Think I'm right in saying the last time that happened was in 1989. The 2005 squad were favoured to win and the 2009 team had high hopes as well (We'd cleaned up England 5 - 0 in 2006/07) 1989 remains as one of my favourite ever series and the 4 - 0 series win came as a complete surprise. It all came together in the batting. Who knows how this 2013 squad will fare? I'm not confident but you never know.

I was of the opinion that Cummins wasn't going to come up for England but would be ecstatic if he was fit and firing for the Ashes. We're quite well off for seamers so that area of our team is probably not the main concern. Let's hope that Fawad Ahmed is ok to go. Our batting is a major worry and it looks like we're in all sorts again in this Test (currently 5 - 118). The wicket is already giving up a fair bit of spin. Ojha and Ashwin are again looking mighty dangerous.

You're probably right about Doolan or Burns there Macca, either of them could get a call up in favour of Smith or Bailey. I have no doubt that Khawaja will be in the squad. I guess it depends on what way the selectors go. If they're looking at current form Doolan would have to come into calculations, although his long term First Class form isn't overly flattering, while if they look to the future Burns would be a geat pick although his summer was under par compared to what he did in the two summers previously..

Here's an article I found on Cummins http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/west/australian-bowlers-pat-cummins-eyes-a-spot-in-the-upcoming-ashes-tour/story-fngr8j33-1226580570202

If he can make that Australia A squad it would have to put him firmly in contention for the Ashes. Would love to see Pattinson and Cummins terrifying the English batsmen!

We've said it a thousand times but Fawad Ahmed could be really crucial to our chances also. A good leggie who can take wickets consistenly would be the icing on the cake.

The batting is obviously where we need the most work. Outside of Clarke there's 6 spots up for grabs and everyones auditioning. Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson, Smith, Maxwell, Wade, Henriques, Haddin, Paine, Khawaja, Rogers, Burns, Bailey, Doolan, Klinger, Hartley. You could fish any 6 of those names out of a hat and could argue that they'd do just as well as any other combination.

You're probably right about Doolan or Burns there Macca, either of them could get a call up in favour of Smith or Bailey. I have no doubt that Khawaja will be in the squad. I guess it depends on what way the selectors go. If they're looking at current form Doolan would have to come into calculations, although his long term First Class form isn't overly flattering, while if they look to the future Burns would be a geat pick although his summer was under par compared to what he did in the two summers previously..

Here's an article I found on Cummins http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/west/australian-bowlers-pat-cummins-eyes-a-spot-in-the-upcoming-ashes-tour/story-fngr8j33-1226580570202

If he can make that Australia A squad it would have to put him firmly in contention for the Ashes. Would love to see Pattinson and Cummins terrifying the English batsmen!

We've said it a thousand times but Fawad Ahmed could be really crucial to our chances also. A good leggie who can take wickets consistenly would be the icing on the cake.

The batting is obviously where we need the most work. Outside of Clarke there's 6 spots up for grabs and everyones auditioning. Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson, Smith, Maxwell, Wade, Henriques, Haddin, Paine, Khawaja, Rogers, Burns, Bailey, Doolan, Klinger, Hartley. You could fish any 6 of those names out of a hat and could argue that they'd do just as well as any other combination.

I like Bailey as well and the selectors may decide to go with a more 'seasoned' player or 2 for the Ashes. Our middle order needs to be strengthened so George could fit the bill. You do need a good blend of experience and youth in order to win. Cummins would add a lot if he comes up. That extra pace would be vital and he's certainly got it. Klinger and Rogers have a stack of runs behind them.

To wrest the Ashes back from England we'll need to bat big or at least better their batting. I reckon we might take at least 1 batsmen who is not in India to England ... one young batsman or one more seasoned. Or one of each. There is nearly always a surprise selection or 2 - it's almost a tradition! We may also take 6 quick bowlers to fit in with the rotation policy. Alternatively, we could always call up another quick at short notice. Harris and Hilfenhaus could come into the reckoning as well but it's the batting that remains a concern.

I'm always reminded that anything can happen in sport. Cricket and the NFL are 2 sports where things can change dramatically in a short space of time. If you've got 2 or 3 players who suddenly excel, it can make a huge difference to a teams performance (imagine if we could add Ablett, Pendlebury and Cotchin to our midfield group right now - leaving off the last 3 players on our list) Whilst I'm not confident about wresting back the Ashes in England, it wouldn't surprise me if we did wrest them back.

Fingers crossed on Cummins and Fawad Ahmed, TD ! If we can bowl England out cheaply enough on a consistent basis, then we've definitely got a chance. :)

Edited by Macca

The last two balls are possibly the worst pair I've seen in Australian cricket.

Mitchell Johnson throws at the keepers end when the batsman was in his crease, not looking for a run, the ball goes a meter of Wade's head for four. Pattinson bowls one a mile down legside, unlucky for Wade that it was called byes not wides.

Finally something of a contest in this series. Lyon is bowling his heart out, has 3 and should have 4 (Tendulkar was pretty adjacent on a missed sweep earlier). Siddle also bowling well (as per usual).

I really hope Lyon can get a bag of wickets, to make the haters shut up, to give him more confidence, and to show that we do have a spinner who can get it done if we just let him try.

Edit: Next over, Lyon has Dhoni dropped, but then gets Tendulkar LBW. Good stuff. They're 5/180, a very different look to their score compared to recent Tests. Their lower order finally to be tested properly; Jadeja, Ashwin and Kumar can all bat, but they're all flakey.

Edited by titan_uranus

Nathan Lyon bowled very well and we looked a different team out there today. Very competitive and good to see. Maxwell bowled ok as well and he should have had another wicket (a stumping)

The track is really playing some tricks and if we can set India anything above 200, it might be enough. The ball is turning quite a lot and the quicks are getting some variable bounce. We need to bat with some real intent once we finish off their 1st innings.

Ojha bowled really well for them and he is such a classical bowler to watch. He deserved so much more than the one wicket he got in our 1st innings. He could be quite a handful in our 2nd innings (along with all their other bowlers, Ashwin and Jadeja especially)

The match is set up for a great finish and we've got a real chance to push for victory. It was great to see some good old fashioned Aussie fight out there today.

Edited by Macca

So if we win, big deal there is very little positive to take from it if any at all.

A win on this pitch with no Clarke could boost confidence. Not losing 4-0 is pretty big, too. But you're right, it won't change a great deal.

Will the Haus play in the Ashes?

Geez, if injuries go our way we could have a very strong bowling line up to take to England.

I think we'll get fairly outplayed in England for the most (although, 2009 was much closer that it seemed IMO) but I think the return series here will be almost dead level - we need to find at least two quality bats in that time, however.

Personally this match is a who-gives-a-[censored] anyway as we have lost the series and there is little to be gained from winning this match anyway.

A win on this pitch with no Clarke could boost confidence. Not losing 4-0 is pretty big, too. But you're right, it won't change a great deal.

The way I generally view sport, there is nearly always something to be gained in winning games when it doesn't really matter. For any number of reasons. Primarily, it's the 'Never give up factor'. If we win this match it could easily help us win a close game in the future. There's the belief and confidence factor. Hating to lose anytime, breeds a winning attitude.

You take a win anytime and you never give up - ever. Do we really want to lose 4-0? To India? Aren't we supposed to hate losing to teams that we hate? India are like the Pies, Bombers or the Blues. Any loss to any of those teams, anytime, is unacceptable. Even if you're clearly not good enough, you have to fight it out.

We're finally showing a bit of gumption after showing very little in the first 3 Tests. Lyon could end up with a big match haul which would do his confidence the world of good (the coach has 'stated' that Lyon is low on confidence) A win is a win is a win.

Edit : England currently 9 for 204, just after Tea on the 3rd day of the 3rd Test in New Zealand (the Kiwi's made 443 in their 1st innings) Considering the first 2 Tests were drawn, England are staring down another series defeat. (they've lost series to Pakistan (3-0) and South Africa (2-0) in the past 15 months)

C'mon New Zealand !

Edited by Macca

I don't really know why but I just hate it when we (Australia, Melbourne and any other team I am rooting for) wait until a series or season is lost to win a game; it feels pathetic and very hollow. I'm not quite sure why I feel like this but it could stem back to my junior footy/cricket days...

My respect for the black caps is growing quickly, all over England at the moment! If someone told me Peter Fulton was going to make a test hundred against that bowling attack I would have told them they were insane but good on him! Liking the emerging pace brigade, it'll look even better with Bracewell back too.

Fair enough, there's possibly a bit in what you're saying.

By the way, I have heard that story about the yacht ... I reckon I'd be straight on it. The choice between a smelly, dank, darkened change rooms with some semi warm beer and some pretzels at the SCG, or a fully laid on spread of crayfish, champers and with lots of nice ladies is an easy one in my eyes.

Yes James, we'll see you there ... just give us 10 minutes or so !

I think they gave up on the series back just before they played that game, with suspending the players,,,, or just prior, to protect Lyon from the conditions in the past tests.

Possibly to shield him, to keep him in one mental piece before the Ashes. where I think he'll be much needed.

Everyone has had a rest thru this series in one (name-term) or another. whether suspended for 1 game or just rested????? Watson for the birth, then back to capitarn...

lots of mental games going on between team management & team in the last 6 months.

I think they gave up on the series back just before they played that game, with suspending the players,,,, or just prior, to protect Lyon from the conditions in the past tests.

Possibly to shield him, to keep him in one mental piece before the Ashes. where I think he'll be much needed.

Everyone has had a rest thru this series in one (name-term) or another. whether suspended for 1 game or just rested????? Watson for the birth, then back to capitarn...

lots of mental games going on between team management & team in the last 6 months.

There's been some strange goings on, that's for sure. A month long training camp to help with team bonding could help fix things. (a training camp doesn't necessarily have to be a hard slog) Trouble is, many of our available players will be otherwise occupied in the IPL. Straight after that, the 'Champions Trophy' will be held in June (in England) There literally isn't any time for many of our players to draw breath. Not enough time to freshen up.

The England players don't have the same problem as many or most of them aren't playing in the IPL. Our players have a whole host of distractions to deal with. There is a huge change going on in the sport as a whole and I'm not sure how it can be addressed. The money on offer is enormous (in t20)

Lyon picks up a career best 7/94 ... bowled beautifully.

Edited by Macca