Michael Clarke

Mike Hussey

Matthew Wade

James Pattinson

Peter Siddle

Mitchell Starc

Nathan Lyon

Ben Hilfenhaus

He states that Matthew Wade today will be named instead of Brad Haddin. That brings a smile to me.

The only question remains is who will be named 12th man. I think they will include Lyon, need a spinner. Either Starc or Hilfenhaus will be 12th man. Conn thinks Hilfenhaus will be a surprise 12th man. I'm unsure.

It would have been easy to have made the sentimental decision to select Brad Haddin. But I will applaud the selectors in naming Wade ahead of a busy summer and an ever important Ashes series approaching fast.

If the first test is in Brisbane, there is a chance they will play 4 quicks.

There is a chance but it's pretty small. Even with Lyon they'll have three quicks plus Watson who is very capable and not slow by any means as he showed in South Africa. I reckon Lyon will play.

I can't wait for the Test to begin. For one, it will be a good distraction from the whole tanking crap. For another, it should actually be very entertaining.

It's very interesting to consider who is the '7th best batsman' in Australia. If the top 6 starts with Warner, Cowan, Watson, Ponting, Clarke and Hussey, then the question of who's next in line is very important, not least because there are injury concerns with Watson and Ponting, and there's no certainty at all that Cowan will hold his spot through the six Tests we have.

IMO, Andrew McDonald will be a smokey to get a game if Watson goes down. Watson's clear value is the bowling he brings, and there's no doubt that McDonald's bowling is as good, if not better, than Watson's, whilst his batting has improved considerably since he last played a Test in 2009. The fact he's captain of the Australia A side must surely show the selectors have some faith in him. He'd have to bat low, though, at 6 or so, which would push Ponting to 3 and Clarke and Hussey up a spot probably, but I think Clarke would enjoy having the extra bowler.

In saying that, Steve Smith just made a half century for Australia A, and whilst most people recognise he's a shocking bowler at first class level and his batting is sporadic at best, the selectors and Clarke seem to love him. Another option I think.

If Cowan fails (I hope he doesn't, I like him), whilst Hughes would be considered, I'd be looking for someone more like Rob Quiney or Alex Doolan. A steadier hand to bat alongside Warner would be preferable to Hughes. Also, I have no confidence in Hughes at Test level after that NZ series a year ago. Having said this, I think Cowan is good enough to hold his spot.

In terms of bowling in Brisbane, if it's a toss up between Starc and Lyon (as I think it is), I hope they pick Lyon. Lyon bowled well at the Gabba last year. He's actually had a good year at Test level; he bowled well in the Windies. He bowls best when he gets drift and bounce, which the Gabba suits, so I hope they recognise that and give him his deserved spot. He's the best spinner we have at the moment (especially with Holland injured), so we need to persevere, and South Africa have a bunch of lefties (Smith, Rudolph, Duminy) who are all susceptible to off-spin, unlike the Indians who only had one left-handed batsman.

Long Long Summer....Siddle just had a catch put down..

F%^&*k it.

I thought you were going to come on and say Sth Africa should have put Australia into bat....

On another note....

I would like to know of the posters on the Anyone for Cricket thread, who are your favourite journalistsreporting on the Cricket currently?

Robert Craddock for mine. Gideon Haigh another. Haigh posted the following this morning on Kallis, who surely is one of the greatest cricketers to grace this Earth: -

http://www.news.com....9-1226513549339

Long Long Summer....Siddle just had a catch put down..

F%^&*k it.

We had our chances and Siddle not only dropped a return catch but failed to carry out a fundamental skill by dismissing Kallis with a no ball.

Goodness me, how dumb.

Pattinson was stiff as he had Amla LBW early but turned down by the incompetent Bowden.

As you suggest we may be chasing some leather this summer.

We had our chances and Siddle not only dropped a return catch but failed to carry out a fundamental skill by dismissing Kallis with a no ball.

Goodness me, how dumb.

Pattinson was stiff as he had Amla LBW early but turned down by the incompetent Bowden.

As you suggest we may be chasing some leather this summer.

Early days but didn't look great this arvo. Lyon has some work to do and I think Clarke should have bowled himself today (and if he doesn't tomorrow that is a big mistake). Pattinson was a bit wayward and Siddle didn't look very threatening. Need a bit of spark tomorrow!

I thought you were going to come on and say Sth Africa should have put Australia into bat....

On another note....

I would like to know of the posters on the Anyone for Cricket thread, who are your favourite journalistsreporting on the Cricket currently?

Robert Craddock for mine. Gideon Haigh another. Haigh posted the following this morning on Kallis, who surely is one of the greatest cricketers to grace this Earth: -

http://www.news.com....9-1226513549339

We lost the Toss...Not much you can do about that...Prolongs the agony though

Every chance this one will be drawn if the track today is any indication particularly with the threat of rain and rain it probably will as I'm heading to the ground for the next two days.

Just heard that Duminy was rushed to hospital with an injured ankle following a post stumps fall at the Gabba.

Sorry JP but it would help if you take no further part in the contest.

Day 1 really wasn't as bad for us as people seem to think. Amla was one millimetre from being out LBW for 0, Peterson should have been given out LBW for a bit less than what he made, Amla also edged one between Wade and Clarke which Clarke should have gone for, and had he, could have caught him, and Kallis was saved by the most minute of no-balls which Rauf wasn't prepared to call at the time (and which, IMO, should therefore mean it's not a no ball and so be it. Let the on field umpire decide. If it's too close to call, or even if he misses a bad one, so be it. None of this referring it upstairs or, as is now the law, requiring the third umpire to check each delivery).

People seem to hate Lyon but he bowled well yesterday. Got good bounce, which is a weapon he needs. It was that bounce which got Amla's edge, and Clarke should have gone for it. Hilfenhaus was pretty average yesterday, if he doesn't lift I don't see him holding his spot over Starc (or Hazlewood/Harris/Cutting).

Missing the Grieg/Lawry banter.

As much as I am sorry for Greig's terrible sickness, I really am not missing his voice at all, nor his 'banter' with Lawry (or anyone).

I would never wish that illness upon anyone, and I hope he recovers 100%. But I do not miss his commentary one bit.

Great day at the Gabba yesterday, really enjoyed watching Kallis probably for the last time and Steyn.

Pattinson showed a bit, Quinney started beautifully and was stiff whilst Punter copped a gem.

Morkel is a huge man and quick.

Another brilliant performance from the Captain!

31 and 1

Glad we are not depending on him to get us out of a hole.

I doubt he will make it to the next ashes series

Second rate player from NSW

Just a ripping, ripping post.

In fact, if you look up anti-mozz in the dictionary, this post will appear,

Before your post, Clarke had played 77 matches at an average of 45,81.

Since then, he has scored 927 runs at 103!

Just a ripping, ripping post.

In fact, if you look up anti-mozz in the dictionary, this post will appear,

Before your post, Clarke had played 77 matches at an average of 45,81.

Since then, he has scored 927 runs at 103!

It's about time .We carried the arrogant little bogan for long enough .At last he is doing his job .

These flat slow dead pitches take all the enjoyment out of the cricket, odds are Adelaide will produce a pitch similar to the Gabba's and be another dull event. Hopefully some people will turn up to create some atmosphere, it's a snooze fest there today.

I assume you forgot that a day was lost for rain?

I assume you forgot that a day was lost for rain?

South Africa would have batted for at least two days if there was no rain and it seems Australia could also, so I think a draw would have been reached with or without rain. That's not really my point though, this pitch and atmosphere is so dead it's boring. They should look at Melbourne or even test matches like Hobart's last year are far more enjoyable where the pitches are more lively and batsmen are challenged every ball.

The ball has been moving around enough and the bowling has been tidy but, for the most, impatient and unthreatening.

3 wickets off of no balls doesn't help, either.

If this was nearing stumps day 3, it'd be massively game on.

The rain would also have slowed up the development of the pitch. Test matches that favour the bowlers are fun, but 2 day tests aren't great all of the time. It's good to have a mixture.