Chairman Jim Stynes

Guest unstable punt

yencks mate- you should care what our name is- your the exact person i'm talking about- we need more passion

Yes we need fire, yes we need everything but I'm telling you now, the afl getting rid of Melbourne is like getting rid of the New York Yankees. Like getting rid of the LA Lakers

Yes we're struggling, but we need everyone to continue supporting our club- Carlton have finished bottom the past 5 years, and we lose one game by 100 points and everyone's talking about re-location and the end of this fine football club??

I DON't THINK SO

CHINS UP

To transfer your analogy to English soccer, it would be more like letting Leeds United fold than Manchester United. The danger is absolutely real.

The two clubs you have mentioned are still exceptionally wealthy powerhouses of their respective competitions. We are not and have not been for 40 odd years.

For what it's worth, I think there have been some very positive steps made regarding MFC in the last 6 months. It may be best if there is a new chairman (and either Stynes or Walker would be ideal) so that the warring factions among members/groups from the last 10-15 years can be reconciled.

Guest wheres_jacka

Are you all stupid?

Ron Walker is a chrony of Ian Johnston, and both together were integral in alienating every day members, providing sensitive information to the media and most importantly trying very hard via propaganda to merge our great club into existence. (12 yrs ago)

Yeah he would be great.

We'll just have to see who sticks their mitt in the air :) and we can decide then.

Bit like Schwarta saying on SEN yesterday that he will be supporting the Dogs this week.

I remember at a club function several years ago that he said he really thanked the MFC for looking after him whilst he was out injured, how quick he forgets.

Schwarta said he was selecting the dogs to win this week whilst adding that his heart was always with Melbourne.

I dont think there is much dount reading between the lines that PG will stand down at next elections. All the signals are there.. I would go as far as to say had there not beenas many changes already happenig that he might have not beenthere this year. I think he has taken the stance to see these changes through and for this stewardship ( possibly at personal harmonious costs ) I thank him.

Its often charged of one leader to find their replacement and I think thats exactly what Gardner is doing. Im a little non-plussed to be truthful at the notion of Stynes stepping straight in the role of Chairman. In fact I find it bizzare. Some time on the board would be requisite I would have thought. I would welcome gladly both Jim and garry to such positions.. Election time this year might be very interesting.

I agree on all counts there.

He is copping a battering from all these supposedly 'in the know' fans.

PG splits his time 60-40 Sydney/Overseas way.

I'm looking forward to the new cadidates platform and vision come election time and i'll decide then which bandwagon i'll jump on.

yencks mate- you should care what our name is- your the exact person i'm talking about- we need more passion

Yes we need fire, yes we need everything but I'm telling you now, the afl getting rid of Melbourne is like getting rid of the New York Yankees. Like getting rid of the LA Lakers

Yes we're struggling, but we need everyone to continue supporting our club- Carlton have finished bottom the past 5 years, and we lose one game by 100 points and everyone's talking about re-location and the end of this fine football club??

I DON't THINK SO

CHINS UP

Yes but its stupid for us to sit here and think....yes we're fine, the AFL will keep us bizzing along all happily...no need to be creative, no need to try knew things, lets just sit here and wait for another 43 years to pass by...i take care in what are name is and i dont want to lose it, so it is us as supports that have to do something about it...we still have $2 mil in debt FCS

as RR often points out, we get no real extra hand outs from the AFL than any other club, they just make it seem that way. We need to step up of the tempo. The AFL would be all for the Melbourne football club running to them and saying they will accept the $100 mil package ourselves Tom. "It is still on the table for any AFL club that is interested," to quote the big boss. It would take a lot of pressure off him if we signed the dotted line and moved elsewhere...it wont happen, but the AFL would not be afraid to move us if we wanted to....we need to make sure that we "do not except mediocrity" ourselves and fight to become greater than what we are now.

"Whilst I think its good that the 'old boys' are feeling warmer about coming in from the cold. I dont see that a club run by favourite sons is necessarily the answer. That same said sons are involved is wonderful but I want to know what they are on about... What is their platform, their vision etc."

Spot on, Beelzebub. Jimmy was a great player, and has done great things for charity. I don't see it qualifying him to run a struggling multi-million dollar business.

Any other involvement by him or other past players is beneficial to a club which has lacked that support since the division of the Ridley days.

Mike Sheehan is correct but there was an approach made to Ron Walker and as I understand it he is very interested if Jimmy declines Walker is just the man to lead us he does not know the meaning of the word FAILURE and would be tough and get on board those with $ and clout

The same Ron Walker that along with Lloyd Williams tried to merge us with the Hawks??

Ron Walker is a chrony of Ian Johnston, and both together were integral in alienating every day members, providing sensitive information to the media and most importantly trying very hard via propaganda to merge our great club into existence. (12 yrs ago)

The same Ron Walker that along with Lloyd Williams tried to merge us with the Hawks??

Not that I'd particularly like to re-start this debate

But surely at this point, we can put the merger issue behind us.

People like Ridley, Walker, Guest would probably admit, they made the wrong decision at the time (I know Ridley has)

And I know there are question marks over the way they went about things

But I don't doubt that they thought they were doing the best thing for the club

Time to forgive? Do we have enough prominent Melbourne supporters out there, to keep holding a grudge?

Last I checked, issues such as mergers get voted on by the membership. Last I checked, we voted in favour of the merger and it was the determination of Hawthorn that saved us.

Just because I put forward a bad idea at work, doesn't mean my boss will exclude me from any input in the future, I don't see why we have to apply that rule to Ron. It sounds to me like there are still some open wounds there. Perhaps we augh to build a bridge.

Past greats such as JS & GL are not only welcomed, they are needed at a board level. They are the people that remind us of our identity. Our identity is something that has been toyed with over the past five years and it shouldn't be. Our identity should be steadfast and unwavering.

We are Melbourne, we are the Demons, we need the men who have bled for this club in the past to step up and remind the board exactly who we are. It is a MUST if we are going to let our current group of players know what it is they are playing for. Right now they do not know and it shows on the field. Nathan Jones needs to be told "You are Robbie Flower!". Someone tell Paul Wheatley "You are Ron Barassi" someone needs to get our playing group playing with the passion of our past legends, give them something to play for and be proud of. Right now it appears devoid of any passion, at board level and that extends down to the playing group.

Schwarta said he was selecting the dogs to win this week whilst adding that his heart was always with Melbourne.

I sat with schwarta's mum a few times in the early 90's His heart deep down will always be red and blue. At present he is working in the media and part time for the dogs so i say let it be. After 3 knee reco's The demons looked after the ox, he's ok.

Not that I'd particularly like to re-start this debate

But surely at this point, we can put the merger issue behind us.

People like Ridley, Walker, Guest would probably admit, they made the wrong decision at the time (I know Ridley has)

And I know there are question marks over the way they went about things

But I don't doubt that they thought they were doing the best thing for the club

Time to forgive? Do we have enough prominent Melbourne supporters out there, to keep holding a grudge?

Im all for forgiveness, but you know the saying.. Fool me once.. shame on you.. fool me twice, shame on me.

If he categorically states merger will NEVER EVER be on his agenda as president.. then great but you can't expect us to just forget.

Im all for forgiveness, but you know the saying.. Fool me once.. shame on you.. fool me twice, shame on me.

If he categorically states merger will NEVER EVER be on his agenda as president.. then great but you can't expect us to just forget.

Well..if he stands...then we can ask him cant we !! then we'll know.

In a way I hope Gardiner does step down sooner rather than later, not because he has done or is doing a terrible job, but because I'm sick of hearing about how it's not the most important thing to him and that he's going to leave "soon". I think his Presidency came at a really important time in the footy clubs history, he led our first stable board in well over a decade, and ended the vicious cycle of board elections that we had to suffer through, for that he and the board deserve an enourmous amount of credit.

At the same time, we can no longer have a quiet behind the scenes President. James Brayshaw and Eddie McGuire are the two "media personality Presidents" everyone points out, and I think that's exactly what we need right now. If Garry believes he isn't the man to do that, and he's not comfortable doing it, then that's fine. Jimmy? Certainly has the brains to do it and has a profile, loved by the past players and respected in both the footy and general community. Can he be that public face for us? Is he in a position when he can be the leading club personality off-field? I don't know if he can be. From the time I've met him and heard him speak his nature is to be busting his arse behind the scenes rather than out the front shouting from the rooftops.

In political terms he'd be the Deputy PM, not the PM. He'd be a fantastic addition to the board, but as President? I'd like to hear him speak a bit about it and see how he comes across discussing the club in the media before making a decision.

Does Paul Gardner live here or in Sydney? I was told by someone close to the board that the perception is that he now resides in Sydney. Anybody else heard this?

I know for a fact that he is based in Melbourne, but he does travel a lot for work.

It seems very likely that PG will step down at the end of the year, due to family and work commitments. PG has done a great job for the MFC, and has put in so much of his own time and money into this club.

Anyone who replaces him will have some big shoes to fill in terms of dedication to the cause.

Guest unstable punt
Personally I would like a wealthy Businessman like a Ron Walker ( Melbourne supporter ) who would lead by example by putting his hand in his pocket and getting his wealthy mates to do the same.

have to agree, if Walker wanted it he would be the ideal man for the job, influence in very high places, jimmy on the board though

Maybe Joe Gutnick can come back and wipe our debt. We all point the finger at Paul Gardiner but what about the rest of the board. Which members on the board have been there a long time, Bev comes to mind she has been their for what three maybe four president/Chairman. Who else have long stay and in that time not much has changed. Gardiner I believe has addressed some big issues at the MFC items that should have been addressed 10 years ago.

I know for a fact that he is based in Melbourne, but he does travel a lot for work.

Thanks Jaded.