BENNY HOLLAND...WHERE ARE YOU???

Billy Baxter

Yep. One of the most underrated players at the club. People underestimate his influence on the field.

Not sure if you're taking the mickey, but I don't think we have any choice and I know Benny has his limitations, but at least he gives 110%, which is alot more than most other players gave on Sunday afternoon.

How far have we fallen when we desperately need Ben Holland back into the team :(

He is actually pretty damn under rated.

How far have we fallen for Garland to warrant selection?

Guest MFC4Life

Agree. We are going to be a different proposition with Holland, Whelan and Rivers back.

Garland has played 3 friggin games. Sure he hasn't won a Brownlow yet, which is a complete disgrace, but he still has 2-3 more games left in the tank :rolleyes:

For the love of god, players with 150 extra games under their belt were worse than him on Sunday, but no, lets pick on the new kid!

I disagree, he is slow and one dimensional and the game has clearly gone past him.

Garland and others are selected to try an unearth our next batch of KPP's, but of course we could still stick with the same old dinosaurs that have gotten us absolutely no where over the last four years.

Not sure if you're taking the mickey, but I don't think we have any choice and I know Benny has his limitations, but at least he gives 110%, which is alot more than most other players gave on Sunday afternoon.

Nah I'm serious.

Garland has played 3 friggin games. Sure he hasn't won a Brownlow yet, which is a complete disgrace, but he still has 2-3 more games left in the tank :rolleyes:

For the love of god, players with 150 extra games under their belt were worse than him on Sunday, but no, lets pick on the new kid!

Another Melbourne supporter who has rose coloured glasses to the kids.

Playing a game doesn't change your natural talent.

I don't want a player who will adapt over time to the game, I want players who have proven they can do something.

There are other players who you can see have a hope, not a guarantee or a chance but a hope. Buckley, Newton and Petterd all have a hope.

Lets re-visit this in a few years, when everyone should see that Garland is another Warknock, and a lesser Fergie.

He has shown nothing, at AFL level, or in my opinion VFL level.

Playing a game doesn't change your natural talent.

I don't want a player who will adapt over time to the game, I want players who have proven they can do something.

There are other players who you can see have a hope, not a guarantee or a chance but a hope. Buckley, Newton and Petterd all have a hope.

Lets re-visit this in a few years, when everyone should see that Garland is another Warknock, and a lesser Fergie.

He has shown nothing, at AFL level, or in my opinion VFL level.

im with jaded on this...i think we can all agree that we are not gonna win the premiership and hopefully we need to fast track a lot of our players because it is likely to be the last season for neitz, yze, whelan, wheatley, holland, white, etc

You have got to be kidding me!

How the hell can you make a judgement on a player who has played 3 games? What did he do on Sunday that was worse than 21 of his teammates?

He certainly showed more than Newton who ducked and weaved his way through physical contests in the most pathetic fashion.

IMO Garland has good pace and agility and we need to give him more than 3 games before we crucify him. I've seen about 50 crap games in a row from some of our senior players and for some reason they are still getting a game. Garland is the least of our worries and should be persisted with for a couple more seasons at least.

And please show me a KPP who dominated in this 3rd AFL match... Even Jonathan Brown struggled for impact in his first few matches, and he is probably the best player in the competition.

We need to back in the side ASAP. I cannot believe the MFC overlooked you last weekend, to play either CHB, BP or CHF.

Anyone who believes the Brad Miller can play down back is kidding themselves. He is a one dimensional CHF and an average one at that!!!

Miller would go close to having the best record against Barry Hall of any player still playing.

Holland is too slow to play on 90% of key forwards (imagine him lining up on Franklin on the w/end?) and isn't a good enough kick to play forward.

Pick a kid ahead of him cos the club isn't going to improve long term with him in the team

You have got to be kidding me!

How the hell can you make a judgement on a player who has played 3 games? What did he do on Sunday that was worse than 21 of his teammates?

He certainly showed more than Newton who ducked and weaved his way through physical contests in the most pathetic fashion.

IMO Garland has good pace and agility and we need to give him more than 3 games before we crucify him. I've seen about 50 crap games in a row from some of our senior players and for some reason they are still getting a game. Garland is the least of our worries and should be persisted with for a couple more seasons at least.

And please show me a KPP who dominated in this 3rd AFL match... Even Jonathan Brown struggled for impact in his first few matches, and he is probably the best player in the competition.

Haha what???

How can you say J Brown in this paragraph??

Like I said, games won't make a difference, it is obvious the talent isn't there, especially to be a KPP.

Brown had shown something, everyone knew Brown was going to be special, he is talented and was going to be number 1 draft pick barring father/son.

That's like me attacking Morton already, you can't, he is a very talented 18 year old.

Garland is not good enough.

Take Godfrey, Miller, Fergie, Jamar etc etc the list goes on, players who didn't have the talent but we continued and continue to plug away with.

Game time does not make you a good player.

i'm sorry, but i have said this before, and please, i admire what Benny Holland has given this football club. But if we need him in our side, then we ARE in trouble.

Having said that though... Miller or Holland... if miller had Hollands determination..then he would still be average because Brad Miller is struggling..

Take Godfrey, Miller, Fergie, Jamar etc etc the list goes on, players who didn't have the talent but we continued and continue to plug away with.

Jamar could be alright, just about an inch or 2 too short to be a ruckman.

Absolutely dominates at VFL (bit like Paul Johnson) but hasn't gone anywhere near making the next step

Absolutely dominates at VFL (bit like Paul Johnson) but hasn't gone anywhere near making the next step

Agree with you on that.

But that is the problem, these guys are great VFL footballers, but they are not naturally talented enough for the top level.

Guest Schtacker

We had 6 players on 10 games or less on Sunday and unfortunately ALL OF THEM WERE BLOODY ORDINARY

But this is to be expected in an absolute belting when the senior blokes aren't standing up

It is a horrible culture to be raised in and it will continue unless changes are made

Guest Schtacker

Oops forgot to say that Ben Holland has actually played a number of good games for us but the majority of the time he has been completely useless. Wouldn't have made a shred of difference on Sunday.

Haha what???

How can you say J Brown in this paragraph??

I wasn't comparing the talents of Brown to Garland's and you know that.

But what makes you such an expert on talent? If Dean Bailey believes he has what it takes to be a good player, and he does, than I will take his opinion anyday of the week over some fan in the outer who feels the need to get stuck into a kid who is still raw and finding his feet.

To say that game time won't make a difference is crazy. With experience comes confidence, a better understanding of the game, etc etc.. So far I haven't seen anything from Garland that suggests he is hopeless beyond help. His disposal is not great at the moment, but that can be worked on.

I don't think Holland would have helped our backline greatly - probably didn't have a great match-up.

While Holland, at this stage of proceedings, is better at AFL level than some of the other guys, he's not part of our future.

Maybe he could have had a role up forward, but we already had a few tall forwards, and playing a small forward (where are you, Davey?) would have helped.

I don't think that's his problem - moreso that he can't find the footy at AFL level, and doesn't have the agility etc.