How much better is Paul Johnson than Mark Jamar?

Yze_Magic

Guest baysidedave
He did win a liston trophy after all. A better player than Jamar in every facet of the game and he will get better. We need to promote Neaves ahead of Jamar in due course. The future is not with Jamar once White retires.

whites still got at least 2 more years in him

Last year I thought Jamar was better. His ruckwork was solid, but he was having little to no influence around the ground. PJ last year was horrible in the ruck, and was either going to develop as a big forward, or just plod along until he was delisted. He has such a big body, but seemed so timid and unsure how to use it. This year, Jamar went backwards, and PJ has got his shot and taken it. He is now a far better player than Jamar. Not only is his ruckwork much improved, but he's learnt where to run to to fill spaces, how to throw his body around, and how to influence games. He has strung a few games together now and his confidence is growing every week. He will only get better, and is still very young for a ruckman at 22.

We should keep Jamar, purely because we need backups, but we should still be drafting a good ruckman soon, as White only has 1-2 years left in him.

PJ is looking better than Jolly; more agile, better mark and quicker across the turf. But in regards to Jamar, I think that Jamar is better at rucking, but in this modern game he needs to improve in the other areas. But there is still time Sandilands showed lots but didn't play consistently until last year at 24.

The only positive about Jamar is he can take a serious grab in the goal square and is a far more accurate kick at goal than PJ at this stage. However this is countered by his average disposal per match of about 3.

Its funny how only 9 months ago this website nearly went into meltdown when he missed the Freo final last year.

Until White or PJ gets an injury, he'll be long forgotten at Sandringham, but I wouldn't write him off totally.

Go Dees - and Go Blues (one more win and they lose their priority pick. Haha)

Heh heh.

My brother is a Carlton supporter. He pointed out last week that it was the first time in two years that Carlton & Melbourne both won on the same weekend.

How far back would we have to look to find two wins in a row for both clubs?

Possibly 2000?

Have faith with PJ. I dont dislike the Russian at all but he seems a little more one dimensional in his game. I like jmar in the middle.. but PJ IS coming on..

Normally I would have put beers on PJ slotting those set shots.. maybe the occasion ot to him a littlel. This will improve with more game time. The really nice aspect of Johnson's game is he knows how to use the space of the forward line and can wheel around and kick 50 on the run.. again the suprise at his misses.

He will be especially dangerous for us as say a resting Ruckman down the sharp end. His marking is improving dramatically.. and for a tall bloke can pick a ball off the ground very nicely!!

With Jeff likely to see out at least one more season and PJ coming along... with neaves in the wings, you really have to question whther Jamar is just one bloke too many.

Given that I predict we will be an active club come trade time I have the inkling that Jamar will be put up for sale.

The only positive about Jamar is he can take a serious grab in the goal square and is a far more accurate kick at goal than PJ at this stage.

Are you serious?

Jamar may have kicked 10.3 last season, but thats because the majority of his shots were from inside 30m, due to him playing deep in the square. He doesnt lead when playing forward, and I dont think i've ever seen him connect sweetly on a kick over 50m. Even his goal in the final against St Kilda last year wobbled ugly off the boot thru the middle. He has some serious (fundamental) problems with his kicking technique and action.

Both of PJ's kicks were from 50m or more, and the first one he just shanked, the second was a very tough kick from outside 50 on the boundary that sailed thru at goalpost height and only just missed.

To say Jamar is a better shot at goal than PJ is either, (a) totally dissing PJ's kicking ability, or ( b ) totally overrating Jamar's....

Jamar = one of the worst kicks in the AFL. Period.

Normally I would have put beers on PJ slotting those set shots.. maybe the occasion got to him a little. This will improve with more game time.

Agree 100%...

The only reason i can think of for him missing the first shot would have been the pressure of the occassion. Directly in front 50 out, 71,000 fans (majority being filth supporters) yelling and booing at ya... he just shanked it....

The 2nd shot was a lot tougher, and he almost got it too just faded late right, but i'm sure with a bit more time in the forward line and more shots on goal, he will soon be slotting those on a regular basis.

There is no problems with his kicking action or technique (he is probably one of the better field kickers in our side), and he is a huge kick. It was all mental i'd suggest, as well as the swirly, slippery conditions not helping. But he's done it many times at VFL level no sweat, and will only get better at AFL level with the opportunity to do so.

It's great to see him improve his game.

I'm a fan of Jamar as well, and it's now up to him to lift again, and keep improving!

White won't be around forever, so there is a place for both of them at the club IMO.

There is no way known you would get rid of Jamar.........look at Collingwoods feeble ruck duo today of Fraser and Bryan (ex Carlton).

very sensible post...

im really happy for PJ he does seem like he has cemented his place in the team...

but im also a fan of jamar he will benefit from being down at sandy... hope he can improve too

The thing to like about Paul Johnson is he is a mobile ruckman who can get around the ground, take Marks and Kick Goals

( eg Spider)

This is the most games he has played in a row, since crossing to the Dee's, so I imagine being a big bloke would be just starting to reach peak fitness, so expect him to improve further and be more consistent.

I also doubt we have seen the last of Jamar.

It is great watching him develop, he was always going to take time considering ruckmen don't peak until late 20s, but he is playing some very good footy.

His rucking has improved immensely and he is really starting to use his mobility now. If we rest him forward he could be quite a danger considering he has taken a step forward in his overhead marking.