CASEY: Rd 14 vs Northern Bullants

17 hours ago, samcantstandya said:

I'm a fan. I think he needs an extended run of 3-4 games to feel that he belongs.

As it happens I know his Aunt...  and we've chatted about Bailey..I've said exactly that...I don't think he thinks he quite yet belongs.  He might never.  But he needs a solid block with good mentoring..   He actually has a pretty good footy head on him, but i sense he second guesses himslef at times. He doesnt at magoo level. He does at Senior level. If he could bring his flair and coolness to the big game he would be an OK player imho..  we'll see...or not ...I guess.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sue said:

Watching on TV makes it hard to judge, but if Andrews was hampered from playing his usual role then how can you say Fritta had mimimal impact?  Given he's not been kickng goals recently maybe it was a brilliant coaching move.

Yes we did lose the game, but I bet we did a lot better than you expected.

If they wanted someone to play purely a defensive role on Andrews wouldn’t Petty or even Turner have been a better option ?  
Fritsch therefore having more freedom.

On the other hand perhaps they just wanted Fritsch to apply the normal defensive pressure expected from a key forward these days. 

In that case they would have been wanting Fritsch hit the scoreboard as well.

IMO, the end result of the match up was negative for us.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, deanox said:

Jesus. This selection was not about ready made depth.

Kentfield was overlooked in the ND and rookie draft last year, and after exposed form in the first half of this year we have given him a shot at development.

Imagine if we drafted a very late, key position prospect in the rookie draft last year. We would expect them to have 2-3 years development before they are AFL ready.

He is 1.5 years plus about 70 draft picks behind Jefferson for example.

Ready made depth is important since we are missing petracca for the rest of the year , J Smith and brayshaw gone forever 

We really needed someone like Sullivan from Collingwood or Jeremy sharp who can come in and impact straight away, instead of struggling to touch the ball at casey.

We are in grave danger of missing finals and the lack of depth is one of the biggest reasons why. 

Even still. Getting 4 touches at vfl even as a young forward doesn't cry out to me as afl potential

• Facepalm 1

On 29/06/2024 at 14:35, whatwhat say what said:

he has a lot of tackles as he's second man in at contests

chandler's frontal pressure is much better

He is second-guessing where the ball is going, rather than looking at the ruckman’s arms and being the first there.

He needs to study Neale, Merrett, and other smaller midfielders rather than trying to nullify.

Howes was asked to play very defensively today. So much so that it looked like the ball hit him in the shoulder while he was watching his opponent.

It was annoying watching Will Elliott hit Shack and Moodle with roundhouse forearms to the head without retaliation. Could have received some reciprocal late spoils.

Couldn’t anyone let them know it is Moodie? Or is he a teacher?

9 hours ago, Redleg said:

I only saw second half of Casey, did anybody who saw the first half see anything from Kentfield.

I know it’s only his second game and he will need an AFL pre season, but he was playing WAFL, which should be about VFL level and I didn’t see him touch it in the second half.

Just interested and I know he will need time.

I went to the game with my main interest being in the forwards, to see if any were putting their hand up for inclusion in the ones.  The three main players in my opinion were Fullarton, Jefferson and Kentfield. We kind of know what to expect from the smaller brigade (ie McAdam).  It was not a day for Kentfield. The conditions didn't suit him so much and the delivery was a bit average.  He did (from memory) hit the top of the goal post with a shot from 50, but also dropped a mark he should have taken after working his way into a good position.  He has a big body and tried to use it but at 18 years of age, I think he still has a bit of growing into his body to do.  I would persevere with him and see how he goes with a full pre season.  He tried, but couldn't quite get into the game. 

Jefferson is improving and he seems to be starting to believe he belongs, certainly at this level. He moved around a lot and contested marks, clunking a few and is now starting to show some presence.   He has good speed, seems accurate enough when shooting for goal and is starting to really become a target. 

Fullarton rucked most of the day and I thought played really well.  He lost a little ground in physical battles as he had an opponent who was a very solid but did well in the sloppy conditions stamina wise.   It would be interesting to see him play if Petty is injured.  He seems to only candidate to replace him if Petty doesn't come up.    

The down side is that the Northern Bullants have only won 2 games this year, so it would have been better to see them against a higher placed side. Anyway, just my opinion

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

His name is straight out of the old testament. Seeing him run-around with us is a sign from God. Do we move Hudson to CHF?

Neocleous Surname Meaningfrom the genitive case of the male given name Neoklēs from néos 'new' + the root seen in kléos 'fame glory'.

Can't find any reference to the name in the bible - please cite the context.

But new fame and glory sounds promising  (though glory and fame sounds nauseatingly like Bombers song)

9 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

His name is straight out of the old testament. Seeing him run-around with us is a sign from God. Do we move Hudson to CHF?

9 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Neocleous Surname Meaningfrom the genitive case of the male given name Neoklēs from néos 'new' + the root seen in kléos 'fame glory'.

Can't find any reference to the name in the bible - please cite the context.

But new fame and glory sounds promising  (though glory and fame sounds nauseatingly like Bombers song)

Hey @monoccular. I should have been clearer. I meant the comment by way of comparison (e.g. Nicodemus). Sort of like using comparators such as could have been mistaken for Yes Minister or feels like a scene out of a Monty Python skit.

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Thanks 1