Reserves

B: Mansell, Young, Banks

HB: Ralphsmith, Miller, Brown

C: Green, Ross, Smith

HF: Clarke, Bauer, Costagna

F: Campbell, Nyuon, Pickett

FOLL: Soldo, Dow, Sonsie

IC: Ryan, Colina, N\A

Richmond have a spot left for a train on player.

• Thanks 1

Too old, too slow? Bupkis. A good spine holds you in good stead and the Tiges have some key pieces there in Balta, Tarrant, Grimes and Lynch. Jack may be on the 18th green but get him enough shots and he'll still bin them. Liked what I saw in Gibcus as well he's got a bit of swagger. 

Taranto and Hopper will be important inclusions. Prestia will love to have a few more hard runners alongside him. 

• Like 3

Agree with DD it’s going to be an interesting watch Tiges have the firepower and strengthened midfield to be up there but injuries could play a role with their aging group of players.!!

• 2 months later...

OK here’s one for the superstitious amongst us to watch as the season unfolds.  Currently both Melbourne and Richmond are on the second line of betting after the premiers.  The market can’t split them.  That puts us and the Tiges in the gun for a top 3 finish.  The last three times the Tigers won the premiership they did it all three times from third.  Melbourne are 9 from 10 having won the minor premiership… watch this space.

Well firstly the draw their draw is ranked equal 6th  hardest along with ours, but it’s got a lot of unknowns in there:  they play Us, the Swans and Bulldogs twice as the only finalists from last year, but they also play   Port, Saints and Eagles twice as well and there’s some doubt over whether they can all get their 2021 mojo back - or are they all on the slide?  I certainly think the Tigers can get their mojo back though and it would be a mistake to think that this side is finished as a contender.  Most of their matches appear evenly spaced in terms of competitive sides and there’s 13 games at the G and 3 at Marvel.  Other than the second round against the Crows, they have no other 5 day breaks before the bye.  

1.  As stated, I have three sides locked in my top three- two I consider to be among the best defensive teams in the competition the other is the Tigers, whose defensive record last year definitely pales in comparison.  They missed Grimes (8 games), Balta (4), Vlaustin (5) when they were needed as well having to rely on a very young Josh Gibcus to shoulder the load. I think they're susceptible down back due to the age and injury history of the likes of three above, but their support cast of Gibcus (injury interrupted preseason), Rioli, Broad, Short and Balta is solid and they've got games into Miller who should continue to develop.  While I don't expect them to be impenetrable like they were a few years ago, I think they could be better defensively this year than they were in 2022 where they coughed up in excess of 90 points a game 9 times with 5 losses over 100 points. 

2.  As for their midfield they've spent big and got what they needed for now. Taranto (whose had a full preseason for the first time since he won the Giants B&F in 2019 when they made the GF) and Hopper who I rate highly will help get first hands on the ball. Both are serious additions to the one problem area of the ground that was always hampered by injury for the Tigers of late (as recently seen in their EF loss to Brisbane).   It means there's less reliance on Prestia and Cotchin (who came 6th in their B&F last year) who will play predominantly forward this year.  Add in Bolton and Baker who are coming into their prime as footballers and make their midfield/forward line super dangerous.  It probably means regulars in previous season like Pickett and Castagna might need to show some serious form or they play twos.  Prestia being available is a bonus now rather than a necessity. 

3.  The X factor of course is Dusty.  I think he’ll bounce back and in a big way.  The effect of his dad dying shouldn't be discounted on his season last year – he’ll be driven to make up for last year and along with Bolton swapping between the midfield and forward line it’s a nightmare for any defensive coach to contemplate.  Throw in B&F winner and almost Coleman Medallist Tom Lynch with a capable support cast of Rioli, Riewoldt, Cotchin (probably) and there’s a fair bit of experience down there, not hard to see why they were the #1 scoring team at the end of the H&A.  They might not have a top three defensive outfit anymore, but it’s going to take one to put the brakes on them going all the way. 

The player they can least afford to lose for mine is Tom Lynch.  He is critical to them going all the way, without him I don't think they can because Jack Riewoldt simply can't be that player from five years ago before Tom arrived to lighten the load.  I don't think Cumberland has enough exposed form to judge whether he's up to it yet or a flash in the pan similar to the purple patch young forwards sometimes have (Jake Riccardi).   As good as their mid sized and small forwards are (critical to winning a premiership) you have to make a GF first and without a tall forward structure that becomes almost impossible. 

I’m picking them to finish 3rd.  I think they’ll get a lot of sides this year, but their defence just isn’t where it needs to be.   

Edited by grazman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 11:33 PM, WERRIDEE said:

Today Richmond Tomorrow St.Kilda

B: Vlaustin, Tarrant, Grimes

HB: Cotchin, Balta, D.Rioli

C: Baker, Prestia, Short

HF: Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton

F: M.Rioli, Lynch, Graham

FOLL: Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper

IC: Gibcus, McIntosh, Pickett, Broad