Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
McQueen

The Ashes - 2019

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yep any minute now Macca! 13th over tho is rather early, but it is England i guess. Good start so far this morning. Nothing like prime time cricket!

Whats with the dinner napkins hanging out the back of several players trousers?

Along with the gaudy big numbers on the back of the shirts.

It's just not cricket Wadda!

Why didn't they go upstairs with the LBW appeal off Lyon?  Looked out to me.  And Hawkeye reaffirmed it ... hitting leg.

Edited by Macca
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening lads

i saw all of Smith’s innings last night with Siddle and Lyon

Magnificent

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macca said:

Along with the gawdy big numbers on the back of the shirts.

It's just not cricket Wadda!

Why didn't they go upstairs with the LBW appeal off Lyon?  Looked out to me.  And Hawkeye reaffirmed it ... hitting leg.

Both teams seem hesitant to use up their DRS picks early, but then if your right it doesnt count as a pick. I thought it was damn close. Easy from the armchair though. The skipper was right behind it though, hes in a pretty good spot. Lyon needs to get Burns soon now.

The numbers are stupid. Thats the good thing about test cricket, its relatively free of BS. Not sure why they bought them in. Root 66 are they taking the pizz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Evening lads

i saw all of Smith’s innings last night with Siddle and Lyon

Magnificent

Well done SWYL, you saw one of the great Ashes innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Well done SWYL, you saw one of the great Ashes innings.

Yes. I just had a feeling Siddle would dig in so i made another coffee ️....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Both teams seem hesitant to use up their DRS picks early, but then if your right it doesnt count as a pick. I thought it was damn close. Easy from the armchair though. The skipper was right behind it though, hes in a pretty good spot. Lyon needs to get Burns soon now.

The numbers are stupid. Thats the good thing about test cricket, its relatively free of BS. Not sure why they bought them in. Root 66 are they taking the pizz?

Heard Boycott saying he liked the idea ... is Geoffrey trying to be thoroughly 'modern' after all these years? 

And that Lyon LBW appeal (that was out) could come back to haunt us.  You take every chance you get at this level. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the poms glued the bails onto the stumps? 

That's extraordinary

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ieard Boycott saying he liked the idea ... is Geoffrey trying to be thoroughly 'modern' after all these years? 

And that Lyon LBW appeal (that was out) could come back to haunt us.  You take every chance you get at this level. 

Boycott, surely he is no longer relevant!

Now we have a player given out caught behind when he was actually bowled! Amazing how they have trained the bails to lift off and land back down in the same spot. Must be done with mirrors or something. This is going to be one of those series.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Macca said:

Have the poms glued the bails onto the stumps? 

That's extraordinary

Osmium is the heaviest element Macca. The poms must have put some inside the bails.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

Have the poms glued the bails onto the stumps? 

That's extraordinary

There was big controversy during the World Cup with the flashing bails not dislodging.

Perhaps the same maker.

Four missed reviews by the Aussies and the two by England work in their favour.

We are not having the luck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

There was big controversy during the World Cup with the flashing bails not dislodging.

Perhaps the same maker.

Four missed reviews by the Aussies and the two by England work in their favour.

We are not having the luck.

1 wicket changes things DJ ... work for 1. 

Lyon could get amongst them especially the fresh batsmen.  The turn is there.

Just need 1 wicket to get on a roll

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macca said:

1 wicket changes things DJ ... work for 1. 

Lyon could get amongst them especially the fresh batsmen.  The turn is there.

Just need 1 wicket to get on a roll

nah... Root is on his way to 100

batsmen of his calibre thrive on luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

nah... Root is on his way to 100

batsmen of his calibre thrive on luck.

He doesn't look at all comfortable to me ... a painful 11 runs so far.  Off 57 deliveries. 

We've bowled well to him all the same.  He does have great temperament like Smith so we need to get him soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have had 3 wickets in that session and we would have them on the ropes. As it is i felt they won the session, just.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

We should have had 3 wickets in that session and we would have them on the ropes. As it is i felt they won the session, just.

Good point with them winning the session Wadda.  Marginally though. 

So we've possibly won only 1 session out of the 4 in this Test so far.  Albeit a comprehensive win in the session after tea yesterday.

We could score it like a boxing match ... I'll have a go

Day 1 Session 1  Eng 10 Aus 8

Day 1 Session 2  Eng 10  Aus 7

Day 1 Session 3  Aus 10  Eng 6

Day 2 Session 1  Eng 10  Aus 9

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burns looks all at sea against Lyon. Get Root out and they will be in trouble. Lyon looking dangerous.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Burns looks all at sea against Lyon. Get Root out and they will be in trouble. Lyon looking dangerous.

Yes he does dl and hes already got him once, but we didnt review. Lyon will just get bigger as the game progresses. They are going to be 1 down in their bowling department with the injury to Anderson and that is big.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wed be into the 3rd innings already if it wasnt for DRS.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Root is batting like Boycott

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Wed be into the 3rd innings already if it wasnt for DRS.

Technology was supposed to rid the game of the howler yeah?  I have seen nothing but the opposite.

We're back to where we started from where it's now a game-of-reviews with a LBW ruling that is highly questionable.  And that's if you trust the technology. 

In effect it makes for poorer umpiring where the umpires might end up 2nd guessing themselves anyway.

It sounds radical but do we actually need the umpires out there at all?  If all their decisions are governed by technology what's the point of having them out there?  They instead could act as orderly's

 Pointing the finger at the umpires effectively ignores a much greater problem.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Macca said:

Technology was supposed to rid the game of the howler yeah?  I have seen nothing but the opposite.

We're back to where we started from where it's now a game-of-reviews with a LBW ruling that is highly questionable.  And that's if you trust the technology. 

In effect it makes for poorer umpiring where the umpires might end up 2nd guessing themselves anyway.

It sounds radical but do we actually need the umpires out there at all?  If all their decisions are governed by technology what's the point of having them out there?  They instead could act as orderly's

 Pointing the finger at the umpires effectively ignores a much greater problem.

Cant remember seeing a match with so many reviews and so many wrong calls. It does seem as if its creating the opposite. It does indeed remove their job and ive never really liked that. Perhaps we could remove coaches as well huh? haha..

Im not happy with this no 3rd slip.

The draw is still 6.50 in from 13 this morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Cant remember seeing a match with so many reviews and so many wrong calls. It does seem as if its creating the opposite. It does indeed remove their job and ive never really liked that. Perhaps we could remove coaches as well huh? haha..

Im not happy with this no 3rd slip.

The draw is still 6.50 in from 13 this morning.

The umpires have got a lot of calls wrong and once that happens the whole review system becomes farcical.  It's like a perfect storm.

If the technology 'ruled' then it wouldn't matter what decisions the umpires make.  Human error is therefore just as prevalent if initial rulings by the umpires have importance.

Total technology or go back to the old ways ... by the way,  I have had no issue with England umpires over the decades.  They are renowned as the best in the world anyway.  Shepherd & Bird were exceptionally good umpires

Now we take away their impartiality by making sure they are nuetral (supposedly) ... effectively undermining the umpires. 

e.g.  Paul Reiffel can't umpire games involving Australia.  We are effectively then calling him a cheat in advance.

And Paul Reiffel is not a cheat. 

The insane hatred of umpires leads to even greater issues.  Lose the hate I say. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great reflex catch from Siddle. Well done. Paine needs to go on the attack here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macca said:

He doesn't look at all comfortable to me ... a painful 11 runs so far.  Off 57 deliveries. 

We've bowled well to him all the same.  He does have great temperament like Smith so we need to get him soon.

got him at last... only 57

Need another wicket before tea and then a strong last session

Can't let them get a hundred or so lead

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...