Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
McQueen

The Ashes - 2019

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

got him at last... only 57

Need another wicket before tea and then a strong last session

Can't let them get a hundred or so lead

Wasn't Joe's best knock but I'm glad to see the end of him all the same.  He's a top player.

1 wicket often brings 1 or 2 more and Lyon still remains the key DJ. 

And as Wadda said in the above post,  a terrific caught and bowled by Siddle.  Like to see him get a couple more wickets. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Wasn't Joe's best knock but I'm glad to see the end of him all the same.  He's a top player.

1 wicket often brings 1 or 2 more and Lyon still remains the key DJ. 

And as Wadda said in the above post,  a terrific caught and bowled by Siddle.  Like to see him get a couple more wickets. 

I thought he was going to be there till stumps. This is better with the attacking fieldsman in position now. Not long till tea, so attack. I always feels better when i see Steve Waugh sitting there.

I just looked at the long range forcast and theres a bit of rain coming in the coming days. Could get interesting.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Edgbaston+7+day+forcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macca said:

Good point with them winning the session Wadda.  Marginally though. 

So we've possibly won only 1 session out of the 4 in this Test so far.  Albeit a comprehensive win in the session after tea yesterday.

We could score it like a boxing match ... I'll have a go

Day 1 Session 1  Eng 10 Aus 8

Day 1 Session 2  Eng 10  Aus 7

Day 1 Session 3  Aus 10  Eng 6

Day 2 Session 1  Eng 10  Aus 9

 

Day 2 Session 2 Eng 9 Aust 7?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wadda We Sing said:

Day 2 Session 2 Eng 9 Aust 7?

In boxing whoever wins the round gets 10 or if it's level it's 10 each

So 10 - 8 in Englands favour for that last session Wadda?

Which makes the overall score as 46 - 42 or thereabouts depending on how one scores the battle (in England's favour)

Needless to say we need to win the last session. 

By the way,  the last time we were in England we were bowled out for 60 in (I believe) one session.  10 - 0?

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I thought he was going to be there till stumps. This is better with the attacking fieldsman in position now. Not long till tea, so attack. I always feels better when i see Steve Waugh sitting there.

I just looked at the long range forcast and theres a bit of rain coming in the coming days. Could get interesting.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Edgbaston+7+day+forcast

If we don't win this next session I will be doing the rain-dance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  I'll give that last session a slight win to England (10 - 9) as it looks like they're now going to gain at least a reasonable lead on the first innings.

But they still need to be at least 60 ahead to effectively be in front (and that is still 77 runs away)

And with Bairstow,  Moeen Ali & Woakes to come they might build a big lead.  A gritty ton to Burns being the chief reason why England are on top.

An early wicket changes everything but the early morning session tonight may well decide the match.  We'll need to bowl them out by lunch to stop them gaining a strong advantage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macca said:

Well,  I'll give that last session a slight win to England (10 - 9) as it looks like they're now going to gain at least a reasonable lead on the first innings.

But they still need to be at least 60 ahead to effectively be in front (and that is still 77 runs away)

And with Bairstow,  Moeen Ali & Woakes to come they might build a big lead.  A gritty ton to Burns being the chief reason why England are on top.

An early wicket changes everything but the early morning session tonight may well decide the match.  We'll need to bowl them out by lunch to stop them gaining a strong advantage.

Well i didnt see any of the last session unfortunately, as i was pretty tired after a long week together with a touch of the lergie that is flying around up here. The English middle order is their strength i think. The way this wicket is playing, they could still put on a big score and all the pressure will be back on us. An early breakthough is imperative and once again i will need 2 Tvs so i can watch the Dees, although that one may well end up in the backyard with the 12 others out there.....

The rain dance is probably the best idea at this point. It rained for 3 days before the test began, which kinda begs the question why wouldnt you send them in after we won the toss? You only do that 10% of the time, but i think that may have been one. The wicket had little preparation. To be honest im not loving Paines captaincy so far, his mindset is defensive.. But he may well turn it around and there is still a long way to go. Im sure he has plethora of good advice. If not he can always turn to Demonland.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Well i didnt see any of the last session unfortunately, as i was pretty tired after a long week together with a touch of the lergie that is flying around up here. The English middle order is their strength i think. The way this wicket is playing, they could still put on a big score and all the pressure will be back on us. An early breakthough is imperative and once again i will need 2 Tvs so i can watch the Dees, although that one may well end up in the backyard with the 12 others out there.....

The rain dance is probably the best idea at this point. It rained for 3 days before the test began, which kinda begs the question why wouldnt you send them in after we won the toss? You only do that 10% of the time, but i think that may have been one. The wicket had little preparation. To be honest im not loving Paines captaincy so far, his mindset is defensive.. But he may well turn it around and there is still a long way to go. Im sure he has plethora of good advice. If not he can always turn to Demonland.

As entertaining as ever Wadda ... love your work!

And yeah,  it's all ahead of us now.  We could assume that if we don't bowl them out before lunch then they'll have probably added 80 odd.  Which would give them a 60+ lead with wickets in hand. 

And if they only lose 1 or 2 wickets we're in allsortsa. Open fire ready with costumes and spears at the ready for the much awaited rain dance.  Demonland style!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Big session coming up here.

That missed lbw decision on Burns has burnt us big.

One down 5 to go! So glad Butler and Stokes are gone.....1 more wicket and we are right back in this. Get Lyon on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You Beauty!!!!!!! L.Y.O.N.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

Got him !!

okay .. time for a quick 3 or 4 more

and as soon as I type that another one..... go Nathan

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bails came off that time @Macca !!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Macca said:

In boxing whoever wins the round gets 10 or if it's level it's 10 each

So 10 - 8 in Englands favour for that last session Wadda?

Which makes the overall score as 46 - 42 or thereabouts depending on how one scores the battle (in England's favour)

Needless to say we need to win the last session. 

By the way,  the last time we were in England we were bowled out for 60 in (I believe) one session.  10 - 0?

Day 3 Session one...Australia 10 England 7

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Wadda We Sing said:

Day 3 Session one...Australia 10 England 7

Tempted to go 10 - 6 but you're right Wadda.  10 - 7 is the outcome.  Others may have their view of course as the numbers aren't written in stone!

So here's the blow-by-blow account ...

Day 1 Session 1 Eng 10 Aus 8

Day 1 Session 2 Eng 10 Aus 7

Day 1 Session 3 Aus 10 Eng 6

Day 2 Session 1 Eng 10 Aus 8

Day 2 Session 2 Eng 10 Aus 9

Day 2 Session 3 Eng 10 Aus 9

Day 3 Session 1 Aus 10 Eng 7

Overall score:  Eng 63 Aus 61

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

well... today decides this test match if not the next session

fingers crossed

I need a happy ending

PS I would have given it 10-6... this partnership is not nice

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree with 10-7 as we couldn't knock over this partnership in the last 40 minutes. the total score reads about right too. I think if we could nail the last 2 poms for 10-15 runs it is about even considering the wicket did more day one, but will be a dogs breakfast late tomorrow and day 5 (should it get there). Poms just ahead I agree.

Also agree this session could be the decider, if they got away to 100 in front or have us 3 or 4 for, we are in the same creek as our footy team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spud said:

I'd agree with 10-7 as we couldn't knock over this partnership in the last 40 minutes. the total score reads about right too. I think if we could nail the last 2 poms for 10-15 runs it is about even considering the wicket did more day one, but will be a dogs breakfast late tomorrow and day 5 (should it get there). Poms just ahead I agree.

Also agree this session could be the decider, if they got away to 100 in front or have us 3 or 4 for, we are in the same creek as our footy team.

Well summarised.

Re the session evaluations ...

Oddly enough there are 15 sessions in a Test match (if it goes the distance) which coincidentally matches the 'traditional' 15 rounds that a boxing match lasts for at Championship level (when boxing was more relevant of course)

England marginally ahead but that could change quite quickly.  We could clean up these 2 wickets cheaply or they could get away from us.  Or somewhere in between.

And as for the evaluations - whoever here gets in first (But get it right!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Macca said:

Tempted to go 10 - 6 but you're right Wadda.  10 - 7 is the outcome.  Others may have their view of course as the numbers aren't written in stone!

So here's the blow-by-blow account ...

Day 1 Session 1 Eng 10 Aus 8

Day 1 Session 2 Eng 10 Aus 7

Day 1 Session 3 Aus 10 Eng 6

Day 2 Session 1 Eng 10 Aus 8

Day 2 Session 2 Eng 10 Aus 9

Day 2 Session 3 Eng 10 Aus 9

Day 3 Session 1 Aus 10 Eng 7

Overall score:  Eng 63 Aus 61

Good work Macca, boxing scoring is new to me, so im on a learning curve here. This fightback has Steve Waugh written all over it as they said on the coverage. I cashed out my Australia win ticket this morning, so now we are a huge chance !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Good work Macca, boxing scoring is new to me, so im on a learning curve here. This fightback has Steve Waugh written all over it as they said on the coverage. I cashed out my Australia win ticket this morning, so now we are a huge chance !

I cashed out on a couple of Gator's tips so a happy camper here! Including a nice collect in the lucky last (Oliver is the master)

And I've always liked the way they score boxing ... working from 10 down.  A cricket session is more than quite similar but I've only thought about it that way in the last 2 days.  Never occured to me beforehand.

It's certainly an interesting way of scoring a Test match.  So if a novice to the game asks "Who's winning?" we now have a possible answer!

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a few fast yorkers to Broad!......Hes that tall.  ... killing us this game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give Smith an over or two, change it up. This could be the match right here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

How about a few fast yorkers to Broad!......Hes that tall.  ... killing us this game.

He's annoying isn't he (Broad) ... seems to often hold us up or take vital wickets.

Truth is he's quite a good cricketer who plays the villian role to very good effect.

73 ahead now and it's advantage England.  I'm now thinking ahead in the sense that we don't want to be any more than 2 down once we wipe off the deficit.  And we still have to get them all out!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Macca said:

He's annoying isn't he (Broad) ... seems to often hold us up or take vital wickets.

Truth is he's quite a good cricketer who plays the villian role to very good effect.

73 ahead now and it's advantage England.  I'm now thinking ahead in the sense that we don't want to be any more than 2 down once we wipe off the deficit.  And we still have to get them all out!  

Yep as Ian Healy just said dig em into him and put the short fielders in. This is Paine i think, he goes on the defensive very quickly. I noticed Smith moving fielders around before. Cant help himself!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...