Dominic Sheed

I will preface this by saying that I haven't seen much of any junior players this year.

Sheed will need to become an inside clearance player at AFL level to be really good. I'm just not sure he has the quickness or innate ability to make space for himself in close to become a top level clearance mid. At AFL level you don't have the space and time that you get at under 18 level, so you need a few tricks to be effective. These might be in terms of size, ability to feed the ball quickly, agility, ability to buy yourself time with the footy or speed.

I just see an honest footballer who does a lot of good, boring things to a decent level. Many compare him to Priddis, but I don't think he has his tricks. Priddis has very quick hands, which makes him effecting as a stoppage mid, which I didn't see in Sheed. He's very meat and potatoes, but does appear to have a high level of maturity (physically and mentally in his understanding of the game). But I don't think that this production will translate as well at AFL level.

I think it would be spending pick 9 on Brad Sewell. I wouldn't do it.

I think you are reading him pretty well, looking at the highlights reel the only contested possession he got was in a marking contest in the forward line. Watching his game a couple of times where most of those highlights came from he didn't get any ball inside ball and no way on that game could I see a comparison with Priddis. I think a lot are over rating Sheed, he is as you say a good honest footballer, most of his possessions come on the spread and not in close.

I don't remember his being touted as a top 10 pick either. That's my point. Good player, but you'd expect more if you were drafting in the top 10. Pendlebury's highlights reel was great. His ability to buy time for himself, as well as his quickness inside packs, has made him the star that he is. Sheed does neither of these things and is also 3 inches shorter (and physically mature). Heppell was a completely different style of player. He was a hard running half back distributor, not an inside clearance midfielder. Plus he was far less physically mature than Sheed is.

You made the comparison with Brad Sewell. Which makes no sense as experts have Sheed going top 10/15 of this draft. Which means your comparison is silly.

As for Pendles and Heppell, I merely made a comparison to the way they move. Not positions.

Anyway, it's clear we have polar-opposite views so I'm happy to leave it there.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

I think you are reading him pretty well, looking at the highlights reel the only contested possession he got was in a marking contest in the forward line. Watching his game a couple of times where most of those highlights came from he didn't get any ball inside ball and no way on that game could I see a comparison with Priddis. I think a lot are over rating Sheed, he is as you say a good honest footballer, most of his possessions come on the spread and not in close.

What you really mean is this. "I've only watched one highlights reel which is up on the AFL website and it showed him winning only one contested possession, therefore I conclude he is a good-honest footballer. Most of his possessions come from on the spread, not in close."

It's absolutely obvious from your above post that you know very little about the player. Go and look at his carnival stats for the games he played and tell me what sort of contested possession numbers you find.

You're welcome.

• Like 1

Heppell and Pendlebury move very differently. All they have in common is that they were high picks and that they are left footers. Pendlebury makes space for himself better than anyone in the league with subtle movements. Heppell is an outside runner who is very clever with the ball, especially by hand. Both of these things are queries I have about Sheed. Sheed appears to lack these innate skills that turn a solid player (Sewell) into a top player (Pendlebury).

I compared Sheed in style of footballer to Brad Sewell. Why? Because Sewell is a good footballer who does many things right to a moderately high level. I see the same with Sheed. I have given evidence to back up my view. You just said my view was silly, and left it at that. Please provide some evidence, if you wish to argue the point.

I was at the match at Simonds Stadium where Sheed broke his collarbone & was named BOG.

He was clearly the best player out of 2 average teams that day.

He'll be a solid player, but he is being well overhyped.

He doesn't have one of those outstanding attributes that push him ahead of the pack, like a burst of speed or an elite kick.

Just a very good ordinary player.

Heppell and Pendlebury move very differently. All they have in common is that they were high picks and that they are left footers. Pendlebury makes space for himself better than anyone in the league with subtle movements. Heppell is an outside runner who is very clever with the ball, especially by hand. Both of these things are queries I have about Sheed. Sheed appears to lack these innate skills that turn a solid player (Sewell) into a top player (Pendlebury). I compared Sheed in style of footballer to Brad Sewell. Why? Because Sewell is a good footballer who does many things right to a moderately high level. I see the same with Sheed. I have given evidence to back up my view. You just said my view was silly, and left it at that. Please provide some evidence, if you with to argue the point.

I'm not going to respond to your first paragraph, it's clear we disagree so I don't need to continue arguing something that doesn't resonate with you. Vice versa.

As for this Sewell thing, it's not evidence Axis. Any recruiter you speak to will say that your comparison is silly. I understand you don't rate the guy and that's not what I am saying is silly. Not your view.

How about we come back to this midway through next year?

What you really mean is this. "I've only watched one highlights reel which is up on the AFL website and it showed him winning only one contested possession, therefore I conclude he is a good-honest footballer. Most of his possessions come from on the spread, not in close."

It's absolutely obvious from your above post that you know very little about the player. Go and look at his carnival stats for the games he played and tell me what sort of contested possession numbers you find.

You're welcome.

No I watched his big carnival game where he kicked 4 goals, and had a look at the replay again about a month ago to check my initial thoughts on him so I had a close look at him in one game. Not enough but more than what many on here are basing opinions on, I replayed parts of the game where he was involved and I thought he wasn't particularly good in close.

I don't base my opinions of a player on stats, write ups on phantom drafts or Kevin Sheahan's player comparisons. I don't think he works well in close, have a look at the game and you might see what I'm saying but I think your mind is closed.

Looked much better in the most recent AFL footage.

I got this wrong. Looks a really good player.

There seems to be some really strong choices at pick 9.

Did you watch him during the Championships on TV, Ben? That's the only time I've seen him. He looked fantastic and moved liked Pendlebury, but people still weren't convinced. I'll trust whoever we go with, but he was the one guy that really stood out.

• Like 1

I will preface this by saying that I haven't seen much of any junior players this year.

Sheed will need to become an inside clearance player at AFL level to be really good. I'm just not sure he has the quickness or innate ability to make space for himself in close to become a top level clearance mid. At AFL level you don't have the space and time that you get at under 18 level, so you need a few tricks to be effective. These might be in terms of size, ability to feed the ball quickly, agility, ability to buy yourself time with the footy or speed.

I just see an honest footballer who does a lot of good, boring things to a decent level. Many compare him to Priddis, but I don't think he has his tricks. Priddis has very quick hands, which makes him effecting as a stoppage mid, which I didn't see in Sheed. He's very meat and potatoes, but does appear to have a high level of maturity (physically and mentally in his understanding of the game). But I don't think that this production will translate as well at AFL level.

I think it would be spending pick 9 on Brad Sewell. I wouldn't do it.

Perhaps it's just me, but I love Sewell. If we could get a Sewell at pick 9 I'd be all over it.

No I watched his big carnival game where he kicked 4 goals, and had a look at the replay again about a month ago to check my initial thoughts on him so I had a close look at him in one game. Not enough but more than what many on here are basing opinions on, I replayed parts of the game where he was involved and I thought he wasn't particularly good in close. I don't base my opinions of a player on stats, write ups on phantom drafts or Kevin Sheahan's player comparisons. I don't think he works well in close, have a look at the game and you might see what I'm saying but I think your mind is closed.

Apologies, I thought you only watched his highlights. However it's still only one game, and what I was saying is that he averaged big contested possession numbers for the games he played. I hate stats also, but I'm pointing this out because you're worried he's not good in close. Again, let's just wait and see.

Apologies, I thought you only watched his highlights. However it's still only one game, and what I was saying is that he averaged big contested possession numbers for the games he played. I hate stats also, but I'm pointing this out because you're worried he's not good in close. Again, let's just wait and see.

Cheers 'steve', you are right it is only one game. It would have been good to see how he went after the carnival as he seemed to be building some good form but the collarbone put a stop to that.

The drafting efforts last year give me confidence we will get this right, really like the look of kolo- not sure how to spell it, ball magnet and leathal left foot, pretty handy inside or outside, good size, got abit of zip and very much a Paul Roos type player imo

You do realise I'm talking about a player of Sewell's ilk right? I'm not talking about the 29 year old Sewell. I'm talking solid team contributor for over 190 games like Brad Sewell.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is this guy the surest bet to be a 200 game midfielder at pick 9 ? He's tough, a good decision maker, a left footer, very good endurance, just a solid citizen. There may be players with more flair, pace, etc., and I'll be happy with whomever we pick, but I see merit in a strongly built tough young mid, who can play inside and out, that at worst be a really good player and at best a dominant onballer. Although there's a good chance Brisbane will take him at pick 7.

I understand our need for speed and am trying to reconcile that need with our other need for strong over the ball types that stand up in finals. Viney, Tyson and Sheed (all left footers) would dominate the centre square for the next 8-10 years.

None of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis or Sewell are quick. But they were complimented by Smith, Rioli, Hill.

None of Kennedy, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Hannebery, who is decent, are overly quick, but they were complimented by Jetta and the athleticism of Goodes. They've also got Rohan coming back from injury.

None of Selwood, Bartel, Corey, Chapman, are quick, but they had Junior, Motlop, Varcoe who had some toe.

We do need speed, but in some ways I'd like to get the grunt sorted first, as the outside pace should be an easier problem to solve. And if the team starts to win some contested footy and SPREAD, SPREAD, SPREAD, then you seem quicker than you are with quality ball movement. Michie, Viney, Watts all have decent pace, but it's an area to address. Barry in time ?

But this is about pick 9. I'd be going for the best pure mid and Sheed would have to weigh heavily on Demon recruiters.

• Like 3

Is this guy the surest bet to be a 200 game midfielder at pick 9 ? He's tough, a good decision maker, a left footer, very good endurance, just a solid citizen. There may be players with more flair, pace, etc., and I'll be happy with whomever we pick, but I see merit in a strongly built tough young mid, who can play inside and out, that at worst be a really good player and at best a dominant onballer. Although there's a good chance Brisbane will take him at pick 7.

I understand our need for speed and am trying to reconcile that need with our other need for strong over the ball types that stand up in finals. Viney, Tyson and Sheed (all left footers) would dominate the centre square for the next 8-10 years.

None of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis or Sewell are quick. But they were complimented by Smith, Rioli, Hill.

None of Kennedy, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Hannebery, who is decent, are overly quick, but they were complimented by Jetta and the athleticism of Goodes. They've also got Rohan coming back from injury.

None of Selwood, Bartel, Corey, Chapman, are quick, but they had Junior, Motlop, Varcoe who had some toe.

We do need speed, but in some ways I'd like to get the grunt sorted first, as the outside pace should be an easier problem to solve. And if the team starts to win some contested footy and SPREAD, SPREAD, SPREAD, then you seem quicker than you are with quality ball movement. Michie, Viney, Watts all have decent pace, but it's an area to address. Barry in time ?

But this is about pick 9. I'd be going for the best pure mid and Sheed would have to weigh heavily on Demon recruiters.

'Ben', I've seen nothing in Sheed that marks him as an inside mid apart from his size. This observation is only made on watching one game (his BOG) performance a couple of times and as others have noted his stats are good for contested possessions, so I may not be right. It's just I haven't seen this part of his game. I think he doesn't see the ball well enough in close to be a natural mid and doesn't read the ball well off hands, he get's most of his possessions off the spread. He certainly put himself in good position to get the ball (in that game) but he didn't generate the play.

If it's the best grunt player we want then that's Crouch. He picks the ball off hands well, is very hard in close, sees the ball well and distributes well by hand (it's his kicking that has been a knock). He is the best extractor in this draft. If he was in the centre bounce with Viney and Tyson I don't think we would lose to many.

From the latest interview on Paul Roos i would think Sheed is the type of player he is looking at for pick 9

The good part of having pick 9 is that there are several payers in the top dozen that can fill the needs of what Roos is looking for

We gave away pick 2 to gain Tyson and gained pick 9 so the difference between pick 2 and 9 is negligible

There is no way we would have done that if there was a standout Mid at pick 2 compared to everyone else assuming Boyd goes first

We unfortunately lost pick 20 but that might have been the sticking point of the deal with Tyson

Remember this isn't just about 2014

'Ben', I've seen nothing in Sheed that marks him as an inside mid apart from his size. This observation is only made on watching one game (his BOG) performance a couple of times

The views of others that have seen more of him:

# 7 Brisbane

Dominic Sheed - Subiaco / 184cm / 83kg / ’95

Lots of interest in this kid and presents as the type who will go pretty high. He is a big game player and has all the tools to be a player who has a long and successful career. Think of Simon Black insomuch as he has similar attributes to him as well as probably that yard of pace or the explosive sort of movement. Black was the same but smart footballers figure it out. He is a terrific inside player and just seems to have so much time and poise. He uses it well and he is very good on the outside where his endurance running is as good as anyone’s. Can go fwd and he can hurt because he is very good 1:1. The kid will be an elite footballer and has enough weapons to be a high first round pick.

#11 West Coast (Via Collingwood compensation) – Dominic Sheed (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 10/03/1995

Recruited from: Subiaco

Style: Simon Black

Player comparison: Mitchell Grigg

Range: 5-20

Profile: For mine Sheed was the best performed midfielder through the u18 champs and a worthy Larke Medallist and I’d also describe him as the most complete midfielder in this draft class. Sheed is a high production midfielder with some real class to him. Excellent both inside and outside which is rare for an 18 year old with most either capable at one or the other. He has some real ball winning ability inside the contest but then also a hard running game with his endurance excellent allowing him to also accumulate that outside ball with his running patterns also very good. Sheed is a damaging user of the footy by both hand and foot and has more time to use it than the next player making the correct decisions consistently hitting his targets. To finish off his game he also is excellent when he pushes forward because 1v1 he protects the drop zone like a natural forward and has above average ability overhead with his finishing ability also excellent giving him some potential to rest forward which is a big bonus.

Number 6 West Coast: Dom Sheed: WA (MID)

Height 183 Weight 82

This year’s Larke medallist had a very strong national campaign where he showed everyone how good he is. Is a very good inside outside midfielder and can kick goals which he showed in his 4 goal game against Vic Country where he dominated throughout the whole game. West Coast are lucky to get this home talent here with many other clubs hoping he slips through to them which he may due to some people considering him one paced. Needs to work on his endurance to be able to play at the AFL level but with a few pre seasons should be no trouble. Probably only plays about half of the games he could in his first year because of this limitation. He will complement Priddis in the middle being good on the inside but also good on the outside getting a pretty good spread of outside and inside ball. West Coast should be happy with this pick.

And from someone not as impressed:

19. St Kilda - Dom Sheed (183cm, 82kg midfielder - Subiaco)

There is a lot to like about Dom Sheed, chances are he goes to West Coast at #6 but I just think there is something about him that could see him slip through. All season, I've had him around the 10-20 position and his impressive form in the Championships has done little to change my opinion. It's not the 'lack of speed' that you keep hearing, it's just that I'm not convinced he truly is 'elite'. Would you select a Jack Redden or Brad Ebert in the top 5 or 10? That's the type of player I would put Sheed alongside - pretty bloody good, but not someone who will take the AFL by storm. I like his inside midfield game, just has that ability to read the play better than others and come out of the packs with the ball. And while I wouldn't call him an elite user of the football, he always seems to make the right decisions. And if he can find the same amount of time and space at the next level, I'm sure we'll see the same thing again. One of the question marks I had over him was his versatility, and how damaging a midfielder he would be. But I was pleased to see him kick some goals for WA, because it's not something he has done a lot of before this last month.

rjay, I suspect it's fair to say that others have seen more of him than you and I, and without exception they rate his inside game. You admit you've seen him once on tv.

On my limited viewing he seems like the perfect inside mid who can also spread and damage on the outside. He reminds me of Wayne Schwass, but a slightly slower version, but as others have pointed out, he isn't slow. I can't quite fathom how you don't see inside ability.

Its a no for me. don't get me wrong i would either pick him or Freeman at pick 9 (Maybe Scharenberg) but the minute he is out of contract he will go to WCE, he seems keen on them.

Its a no for me. don't get me wrong i would either pick him or Freeman at pick 9 (Maybe Scharenberg) but the minute he is out of contract he will go to WCE, he seems keen on them.

This doesn't usually happen. What just happened at Brisbane is atypical. He's also a very close friend of Jesse Hogan, which is significant. Players love their mates and play for their mates, so don't underestimate his friendship with Hogan and its importance if he comes to the Dees.

At the end of the day though most players won't leave if they're having success. That becomes the bottom line.