Where is our list at?

Travis Boots

He has no midfield because he chose to recruit Clark one trade period and Dawes the next while pushing out our main inside midfielder and not replacing him. So his own recruiting management has created the situation so he has no one to blame.

So he doesn't take Clark and Dawes, and instead recruits two gun mids. If that was the case, you could just replace the word 'midfield' on this forum with the words 'forward line'. We'd be all saying how we should have taken a key forward, that there is no point having midfielders if they have no one to kick it to, that we shouldn't be continuing to give games to Lucas Cook and James Sellar, that key position forwards don't grow on trees, etc.

Neeld's decisions to take Clark and Dawes were both absolutely fine. He's shored up our forward line. Midfielders are easier to find, and have an impact quicker. He's done the hard part first.

I'm not trying to absolve him - I don't want him here in 2014. But Clark and Dawes are two aspects of our list management which I'd give a tick.

He has no midfield because he chose to recruit Clark one trade period and Dawes the next while pushing out our main inside midfielder and not replacing him. So his own recruiting management has created the situation so he has no one to blame.

Yeah the culture is fantastic - trying is optional.

Do you really think that Moloney would make us THAT much of a better team?

These threads and our win/loss record would still be where it is with Brent in the team, we would have just one more player to lament the poor form of.

• Like 1

You're.

No. Give him a midfield and then let's see.

I reckon the culture is almost sorted.

Neeld is building relationships with those who understand what it takes to belong and succeed in an elite competition. Those who chose not to are kicking off the dew in the ressies.

close, I think... but the Culture isn't sorted, but the old soft crapp has been removed...

... so the New is yet to take root & grow... it'll take a few years to bed down a new, healthy & strong culture amongst the inner sanctum, but we also need to develop it, from the other end, at the same time... from within the supporters, up in the grandstands.

... abandon the applause button, & encourage the cheer button, the jump up & yell out the excitement button,,,, become outwardly passionate...

There is so much i could say about this but what the point. True believers never change their mind and so much has been said already.

All I will say is there no point having the best coach in the league if the majority of the Supporters don't support him, but that for another thread.

I just hope that the MFC recruit players in 2014 and beyond who respect and actually want to play for the Club.

Better to have less skilled players who put in 100% effort each week, Now thats a team worth watching!

they do,,,, & your a true believer of what your espousing... & you won't change, yet.

but some are bandwagon hoppers,,, & some others actually see where things are going, & understand the methodology.

some want change because they've lost faith in all... & they are blind to understanding the methodology. preferring to put their trust in a big name...

but not all are posting on this site & are waiting to see.

Yes and yes.

There are a couple at the moment who are working damn hard to improve. The coach has motivated them as has Jack Grimes. I'm an enormous fan of JT, (quality person) but JG is an enormous role model.

Consider that Collingwood scored 89 out of 122 (or whatever it was) from turnovers. Players are getting to contests and getting their hands on the ball. Mistakes relate to confidence and composure that comes with games, games, games.

This will turn around.

thankyou for the answer

Yeah the culture is fantastic - trying is optional.

... that's interesting Norms Smiths Curse.

Which gun Mids are you suggesting we should have snapped up? we sure could use them ?

Edited by dee-luded

Anyone can look good with good players, the test is what they are like with ordinary players. Neeld hasn't done very well in this test.

GWS are copping thrashings with a group of players that were the cream of the crop 2 years ago.

Where does this leave Sheedy?

I think Neeld is getting better at coaching after the non-negotiables are sorted. Fitness. Discipline. Respect. Intrinsic motivation.

Backline is sorted for talls (as long as Frawley stays). However we do need a rebounding attacking defender with good skills. I dont get the feeling that Strauss is going to make it.

Jones (2), Sylvia, Viney and Toumpas will be good. We need quite a few more though. Hopefully thats what will go after this year. Hopefully we can recruit an established midfielder as well.

Forwardline is sorted for talls. Some crumbing smalls would be nice too.

Few years time we will be far more competitive.

I reckon it's in a pretty reasonable shape and a new coach and even Neeld have a bit to work with. Just needs to get games into them.

My take:

1. Jesse Hogan: Potential future superstar. Already had comparissons with the likes of Carey, Brown & Brereton. Has a great work ethic and hunger the the contest and rough stuff. Not affriad to throw his weight around and is very good not only in the air but also on the ground. Only needs to work on his kicking at goal.

2. Nathan Jones: Heart and soul of the team, has turned into a B+ - A midfielder who would get a lot more recognition in a better team. Coming into his prime and still has another 5+ years in him and can certainly still experience some success in the red & blue.

4. Jack Watts: One of the most talented players on our list and I hope we hold onto him as I think we're more likely to get something out of Watts himself then from whatever he'd be worth in a trade now. Can see him forming a vital combination with Howe as vital utilities that can play as the 4th tall forward, 4th tall defender or off the wing causing match up headaches for the oposition. Has shown some encouraging signs recently with some aggresion that hasn't been seen before. The sooner we sign him up for 3 years the better!

5. Jimmy Toumpas: I've seen enough to be convinced that he'll be a good player. It may be a little early for him now, but the kid can use it and has shown in the VFL that he does know how to find the ball. Will be a valuable distributer of the ball off the wing or half back.

6. Chris Dawes: Think Collingwood will already be regreting this trade. The guy brings leadership, a physical presence and will form part of our menage a trois of KPF with Clark and Hogan, within no time I expect Dawes to have the third defender and we've already seen in the Hawthorn game what he can do to the best defender. Still has 5+ years of good football ahead of him.

7. Jack Viney: Don't think I really need to say much. Will be the backbone of our midfielder for the next 10-15 years. Can see him as our Sam Mitchell. Great with the contested ball and clearances but also able to use it on the outside.

8. James Frawley: AA KPD who we need to give a 2 year contract extention to as early as we can next year. Although he hasn't shown the attacking side of his game this year that we're used to, his stopping ability has still been first class as we saw against Buddy. Again he still has 5+ years left in him so there's no reason why he can't experience success here.

9. Jack Trengove: As others have said, I'm convinced he played last year while carrying some sort of injury. Throw in his injury effected pre-season I think he's starting to work his way back to some of his better form that we saw in his first 2 seasons. Needs to get more of it but I think that will come. I see him as a valuable midfielder/half forward and still see plenty of similarities between him and Jimmy Bartel. Fingers crossed he can reach the same heights. Still has close to 10 years ahead of him.

10. Shannon Byrnes: A handy pick up in the off season with his experience, ball use and ability to play as a crumbing forward. Don't think he'll play beyond the 2014 season but think he'll play a big part in the transformation of our culture due to the owrk he's doing off field.

11. Mitch Clark: Beast of a man and he reminds me of Neita in his attack on the ball and his very presence. I see him as our 2nd ruck/KPF over the next 5 years or so in the combo with Dawes & Hogan that I've already mentioned. Some concerns over his injuries and that's why I'd be keen to rookie a KPF in the up coming rookie draft to protect our structure.

12. Colin Sylvia: Important player for us to retain. With our lack of experience this is one 100 game player that we can't afford to loose. Has shown more consistency this year then in anyother and we should give him a 3 year deal to make him a demon for life. How much footy if any he has left in him after those 3 years is debatable.

13. Jordie McKenzie: While I think he does have some type of a future with the Dees, I don't think it's an overly long one. He's got 2 years to run on a contratc at the end of this year and I'm happy for him to serve those 2 years as he's clearly a good club man and can bring some midfield depth. However he's got a lot of limitations on the field and the less he plays I think that means the better we're getting as there will be better skilled players to take his spot. If Jordie only plays 10-15 games over the next 2 years due to other players getting a game ahead of him then I think that can only be good for the team.

14. Lynden Dunn: Is contracted for next year but I'm hoping we can trade him for a very late pick like we did with Morton last year. Dunn has no future here as evident by his horrible performance against Collingwood.

15. David Rodan: Will be gone at the end of the year, but like Byrneshas played a role in helping turn the clubs culture around in the way we train and go about hings off the field.

17. Sam Blease: Like Watts, one of the most talented players on our list and I hope we can get the best out of him. Needs to develop his tank and defensive side of his game so we can play him more on the wing and off half back which is where his best footy will be IMO.

19. James Strauss: Time is running out for Strauss and I fear he may not be up to it, but there is still time for him. HBF/BP is the spot for him and he does use it well, but he just doesn't get involved enough. Was very stiff to get dropped after his job on Nahas in the Richmond game, although when he did come back against Hawthorn he got stitched up Breust. 2014 will be a big year for him, however I wouldn't hve him in our best 22 at this stage and if I had to call it, I'd say he probably won't make it.

20. Colin Garland: If he was in another team he'd probably be getting talked about as an All Australian for this year. Has taken his game to a new level and is a very valuable 3rd tall defender for us who can also play small. Still plenty of years ahead for Col.

21. Cameron Pedersen: Amazing that he has a 3 year deal.... I guess he coul be auseful depth player with his ability to play back and forward when injuries arise. But I see Cam being a depth player at best.

22. James Magner: Will be gone at seasons end IMO. If he can't get a game now with the way our midfield's going and the numbers he's getting in the VFL then I don't see a spot for him going forward.

23. Josh Tynan: I really like Josh however I think he may go at the end of the year. He's got good courage and he's not affraid to get his hands dirty. However he lacks a yard of pace and he doesn't use the footy that well, and if you lack both those things as a HBF or wingman then I can't see a big future.

25. Tom McDonald: Love the way the kid goes about it. Can run all day, has good speed, is good in the air and loves the contest. Just needs to clean up his kicking and we have our CHB for the next 10 years. He should also have the ability to go forward if need be seeing as we drafted him as a forward.

26. Daniel Nicholson: Will be gone at years end IMO. Provides plenty of run but can't use the pill and doesn't shut down on his man that well. An issue when you're a HBF wingman.

27. Tom Gillies: Will be gone at seasons end. I'm still kind of curious as to why we recruited him.

28. Joel MacDonald: I'll never question Joel's effort and desire. But with him out of contract at seasons end and him struggling to get on the park due to injuries, I doubt he'll be here next year.

30. James Sellar: Could have potentially been a handy depth player with his ability to play down back and supposed ability to play forward. However with the three year deal given to Pedersen, I don't see the use for Sellar. Gone at seasons end.

31. Jack Grimes: Was one of, if not our best performed player over the first few rounds this year. Will be a valubale member of our midfield rotation, however I see him mainly playing off half back. Is really starting to grow into the role of captain I reckon. Still a big career ahead for Jack.

32. Michael Evans: I hold high hopes for Pickles. He's obviously got some way to go, but barely a week goes by where I don't see something from him that makes me think he could be a really good player. I see strong similarities to Leigh Montagna in the way Pickles goes about it. I hope in time we see the same form produced. Still only 20 which is great news going forward.

33. Dom Barry: Skilled, smooth running outside midfielder. To be fair I haven't seen a heap of him so the jury's still out given it's his first year on the list. I don't know why, but my gut says he won't make it, but time will tell. He still has plenty of that on his side.

34. Dean Kent: Really like what I've seen from the kid so far. He's hard at it, has a good turn of speed and is a beautiful long kick. Still in his first year but I see a lot of similarities with Adam Schneider. High hopes for Kent for many years to come.

35. Luke Tapscott: Four years in and I'd of liked to have seen a bit more from Tappy then what we have so far but I still haven't lost faith. Feel he can be our defensive forward ala Campbell Brown. Strongly built and a thumping kick. I feel he just needs to work on his ability to spread and run out the game as even in his better games, he seems to go quieter the longer the game goes. Jury still out I guess but I'm optimistic.

36. Aaron Davey: The vetran is playing the best footy he's played in at least 3 or 4 years. I think he's earnt 1 more year and I still reckon he'll slot into our best 22. Possibly often as the sub due to his ability to play forward, off a wing or even off half back with his brilliant use of the ball.

37. Max Gawn: Reckon he's one of our most important players going forward baring injury. I hope they sign him up for another 2 year deal ASAP. He's already got to the stage of dominating at VFL level and he could possibly pass Jamar as our number 1 ruck in the off season. Certain keep, he's got 8+ years ahead of him assuming his knees hold up. Touch wood.

38. Jeremy Howe: See my comments re: Jack Watts as to the role I see Howe playing, although I could even see Howe with an ability to play onball from time to time. With his marking ability he could become our most markatable player, although he hasn't taken quite as many screamers this year as last, although there's still half a season to go.

39. Neville Jetta: I love Jetta hardness and his attitude towards playing, but I don't think he's got a long term career ahead of him. Out of contract at seasons end, and I'd be happy to see him given another year as there's a lot of others who are worse that I'd rather ship off first, but unfortunatly I don't think there's a lot long term for Nev.

40. Mark Jamar: War horse ruckman who's best is past him but I think can still play an important role for us. He's contracted for 2 more years and I'd like to see him stay with us rather then trade him out. Gawn's & Clark have both had their injury issues and I don't think Spencer's up to it, so I see the Russian as a required player. His presence will also help Max in his development so I say he's a keeper. At the end of 2015 however it may be pension time.

41. Troy Davis: Hard to rate as he's 2.5 years into his career and yet to play a game. Having said that he's quite a good defender at VFL level, creates a lot of run out of defence, loves the rough stuff from all reports he's getting better at his disposal which hampered his first two years at Casey. As we have Frawley, Garland & McDonald as our 3 key posts you'd be tempted to say Davis has no career here, however given the speculation about Frawley leaving at the end of 2014 I'd be tempted to offer Davis a 2 year deal at seasons end in case Chip does leave, especially seeing as I think Sellar & Gillies will leave at the end of this year. I don't think Davis will be any star but I do think he will be a good solid defender, so much so that if we did delist him this year, I'd expect him to get picked up by someone else.

42. Jake Spencer: He tries his guts out, but after all this time I think it's fair to say that he's just not up to it. The fact that he's contracted for 1 more year and I can't see anyone trading for him will save him for 1 more year, but no future here IMO.

43. Rory Taggert: I along with a lot of others on here have great hopes for Rory. Not sure if he'll be a star or anything but I do think he could be a bit of a Mitch Robinson type half forward/midfielder. Has a great build and looks really strong through the body. Given he missed 90% of last year through injury, this is pretty much his rookie year and he seems to be getting better each week at Casey learning the caper. Another one where the jury's still out but I've got a good feeling about Rory, although we may not see him in the red & blue till next year.

44. Rohan Bail: Had high hopes for Bail for awhile to turn into our no 1 tagger but it's been a poor year for Ro. You wonder how much the concussions have set him back? Pretty sure he's contracted for next year but a don't see a lot for him from then. Disposal is to iffy, doesn't get enough of the ball and his tagging ability is still probably unknown?

45. Matt Jones: I've been really impressed with Jones this year and he's been far better then I was expecting. Not sure exactly where he fits into the team long term but he's certainly best 22 at the moment. Plenty to work with.

46. Dean Trlich: One of my favourites. I see a long career ahead for Terls in the BP/HBF. I see him as a bit of a Josh Hunt. He's been a bright spark in a bleak season.

47. Tom Couch: Very good VFL player but wont make it at AFL level due to his disposal and spread. Good kid though and can probably consider himself a little unlucky when he's delisted at the end of the year.

48. Jack Fitzpatrick: The great unknown. And that's the best way to describe Fitzy, I just don't know. Has become a very, very good VFL player and if Mitch can't get over his injuries Fitzy could have scope to becoming our 2nd ruck/forward. Incredibly quick for a man of his size and he's improving his overhead marking and ruck work every week. Strength and disposal are his biggest issues. Would be keen to give him another year at seasons end. A big ? for Fitzy.

49. Nathan Stark: Almost impossible to judge given his injury issues this year. Although I suspect he may get the chop just so it gives the club another pick come rookie draft time.

50. Micth Clisby: I really like what I've seen and what I'm hearing out of Melbourne about Clis. He's quick, uses the ball well, goes in hard and is pretty good overhead for a guy his size. He could becoem a very good player off half back for us if he keeps developing at this rate. I'd certainly be giving hima 2nd year on the rookie list at seasons end and if he has another good year next year, would upgrade him for sure.

So as you can see, there's a lot of upside to this list. It's just that it's very young and inexperienced. Once the core of our group get to the 50+ games mark I think we'll see significant improvement, which by my calculations would be from 2015. Meaning no matter who are coach is, it could still be a difficult year. You'd at the least though be hoping that the manner of our losses improves in 2014.

• Like 5

I don't automatically think Clark and Dawes were fails, or that Moloney would have provided a massive difference but the game is won and lost in the midfield and without one we shouldn't have been shocked we got smashed from round 1.

but a agree the injection of some midfield class and depth might turn things around quickly.

you hear that Rory Sloan might want to come home but we shafted him last time so I doubt he'd come to us.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Only 3, perhaps 4 mids on the list. The Swans have a dozen or so players that can rotate through the middle.

The irony compounds itself as under Daniher, we had too many mids, not enough KPPs.

Under a new regime, Neeld must be given the opportunity to see if he can coach or not.

Neeld cannot be given any more time because the way l read it is about 5-6 players on your list won't be at MFC if Neeld stays.

Neeld cannot be given any more time because the way l read it is about 5-6 players on your list won't be at MFC if Neeld stays.

It aint my list.

Which 5 or 6? Care to name them?

Source?

Methinks you're speculating and following the doomsdayers.

Gotta replacement??

• Like 1