Watson and Watts

I assure you I don't find it fun at all. There are so many fabricated garbage opinions fed to us by the media and opposition clubs.. that is one thing. What I can't stand is our own supporters adopting these "myths" (correct rjay) as if they were facts and potting the club for them.Watts' debut was an attempt by Stynes to generate some publicity and passion for the club, and was engineered by the revered Jimmy Stynes.

There is nothing wrong with that, it is us trying to raise our pitiful profile in the public arena, something every person on this board would agree is an important things for us to do. The way it was handled does not have the slightest thing to do with where Watts is at now, to say otherwise just shows a lack of common sense and logic.

What else? Neeld's recruiting? Yeah that's right let's just join the media and pot his so-called 'moneyball' strategy that apparently hasn't worked. Never mind the fact that he gave up almost nothing and has brought a handful of decent assets to the club, and in one draft we secured Viney, Toumpas, Hogan and Barry. It is the same garbage about bagging Prendergast because of Morton, even though picking him at 4 was an auto-pick that every single club in the comp would have done. I've already mentioned this 'alienating the senior players' rubbish, this is the group of players that have been universally blamed for our woes for years. Most backed this approach at the time, but now we are on the bottom of the ladder everyone looks back and goes 'gee that was the wrong thing to do'. These myths go on forever.

Look I am obviously not blindly defending Neeld or the past and present club in general, how can I with the rubbish they are serving up. I am just saying it helps nothing to perpetuate these fairy tales about was and is going on at the club.

You make some valid points here, but my opinions of Watts are not formulated by the media. Once again, I am not making any comment on how Watts' debut impacted upon him mentally, only he can honestly answer that question. I'm merely saying that I disagreed with the manner it was carried out, and would add that a 17 year old should never have to shoulder that much responsibility in lifting a club's profile.

After watching today's game, I don't think Watts' problem is just with the coach... I can't believe how many times his own teammates have burnt him today. Even guys like Tom McDonald, who seems to avoid kicking the ball when possible, turns back into traffic to avoid giving him the ball.

Big fan of Watts, and I thought his game was better today. But I don't know how he can continue at the club next year.

• Like 1

Was burnt by the umpires early in the game, did not get paid a thing when the ball was going forward and then had a "holding the man" against him. Had a go at the umpires following this.

The guy has all the skill and pace, but no appetite for the physical contest. He loses his feet against midgets. Keep your frigging feet in the contest. And bowl blokes over that get in your way. In fact, hurt them.

I just can't see this guy ever being a force to be reckoned with despite his undoubted talent. It's not impossible, but he needs some kind of therapy.

• Like 1

Agreed. A bit of agro as well. gave the umpire a spray at one point.

Didn't want to run in a straight line when the ball was on offer in the pocket - he and Pies player both running for it.

i think Jack can still be a player, but probably sprayed the umpire because he knew he wouldn't get anything back.

The guy has all the skill and pace, but no appetite for the physical contest. He loses his feet against midgets. Keep your frigging feet in the contest. And bowl blokes over that get in your way. In fact, hurt them.

I just can't see this guy ever being a force to be reckoned with despite his undoubted talent. It's not impossible, but he needs some kind of therapy.

In the first quarter today I saw something in Watts I've never seen before. He attacked the contest & had the confidence to force the play. There's a glimmer of hope for him. Hopefully he can learn from Jobe Watson to harden up.
  • Like 1

In the first quarter today I saw something in Watts I've never seen before. He attacked the contest & had the confidence to force the play. There's a glimmer of hope for him. Hopefully he can learn from Jobe Watson to harden up.

I agree, I also saw a bit of it early against freo before they started smashing us. He seems to have learnt some appetite and attack at the contest. Hopefully he can learn to sustain it.

I saw that too.

Isn't it an indictment that we all applaud an effort that should be standard fare ?

I saw that too.

Isn't it an indictment that we all applaud an effort that should be standard fare ?

I applauded it because it wasn't standard fare.

And a right wing nutter as well!

I thought that's what we wanted these days. Jeff can become president. We can then appoint Alan Jones as coach. Mat Burgan can be replaced by Andrew Bolt on the website and we can finish things up with Karl Stefanovic doing pre match announcements.

I thought that's what we wanted these days. Jeff can become president. We can then appoint Alan Jones as coach. Mat Burgan can be replaced by Andrew Bolt on the website and we can finish things up with Karl Stefanovic doing pre match announcements.

Frightening. And Rupert can buy us.

• Like 1

I saw that too.

It is an indictment on Watts that he hasn't been able to get this out of himself on a regular basis. I'm not applauding him, just stating that there is something to work with if his mind set changes.