COL GARLAND'S HONEST INTERVIEW (must watch)

Yze Robbo and White may have felt let down because they were no longer good enough for AFL. It's interesting each player tried to find a new role through the PSD after being "retired" by MFC. No takers whatsoever. Tells a truth.

Might say something about the attitude of some players back then. Clearly the culture infection goes back a long way and probably started when those guys were around. Players being bigger than the club and refusing to admit that their time was up? Then the club may have tried to anticipate this with McDonald and stuffed up severely.

P.S. Port didn just turn it around with a new coach btw, that new president accordig everyone involved has completely rejuvenated the place FROM THE VERY TOP DOWN!!!!

Edited by thevil1

Terlich doesn't have the polish required

Strauss is as soft as butter

The rest show some potential.

Watts, Hogan, Clark, Grimes, Trengove, Blease all playing fully fit should help as well.

Neeld may have marked his cards on Sunday but whoever takes over needs to get this draft spot on.

If they do we'll improve quickly.

you goin off a bit soon Roost it, Strauss is playing well & we'll see. Terlich& polish, hmmn, I think of a young Nathan Jones who lacked polish.

So, If all you want to do is just focus on Negatives, & have no balance in your view, then I can only think all you want to do is damage. anger without purpose is nothing but vitriol.

• Like 2

I'll make two points.

Firstly I really feel for the players. They get one go at a footy career and at the moment it's being trashed. If anyone thinks there is no link between the dysfunctional state of the FD and the results then they are kidding themselves. This FD is not providing the players with an environment in which to thrive and for whatever reason has sapped the players confidence and spirit.

Secondly it's genuinely sad to hear the comment that winning doesn't matter, having a crack does. We are so low that our expectation is not winning, it's trying.

Col comes across as a really genuine person with no answers and just frustrated and depressed with where we are. Those that simplify things to "the players aren't trying" just don't get it. Neeld told me we were going to lose last week when he was at pains to point out GCS were more experienced than us.

Very sad but I feel for the players.

Im sorry, but do you mean Neeld told you bb that the team was going to lose??

For heavens sake don't use this as an excuse to bag Bailey. After 2009 his gameplan

Started to show dividends.it was a discernible gameplan. I know bailey was coach when Junior was let go but I don't recall other senior players were disregarded

Here are a few name's off the top of my head to Bailey's credit (though I agree with the decisions):

Yze, White, Robbo, Whelan, Wheatley.

Bailey and Neeld have taken hardline approaches to senior players thought to be past it.

EDIT. Been answered a few times actually.

Edited by AdamFarr

Seriously, who friggin cares what we say to the media anymore?

Show it on game day or shut the hell up.

Someone has to front up to a media conference though. I'm glad it was a clearly hurting Col Garland, rather than Neeld with his nonsense. That's what I liked about it. My love for Col Garland increases. Already one of my favourites, but he was vulnerable in this interview. Truly hurting. I want to see that from our players. It's better than a lack of care or patronising crap that we'd been fed too often over the past few seasons. Ultimately, I thought Col put in yesterday and had more of an impact than Nathan Jones (who I'm not knocking, just pointing out that Jones is never questioned and neither should Col's attitude).

• Like 2

It's too simplistic to say it's the players' fault.

It's also too simplistic to say it's not the players' fault but the FD's/coach's/CEO's.

There is absolutely no way you can apportion 0% of the blame, for want of a better word, on the playing group. There have been so many instances this year of players not doing the small things which are doable whether you're 100 points up or down.

Clearly the state of the club off the field has hurt the players and has created an environment in which it is difficult/impossible to be elite. That is why our draft picks have continually floundered over the last few years, and as such, until we fix it, no new players are going to make us any better. But as we begin to attempt to fix the off-field stuff, we can, and should, still expect our players to put in more of an effort than has appeared to be the case in about 4 games so far this year.

• Like 4

It's too simplistic to say it's the players' fault.

It's also too simplistic to say it's not the players' fault but the FD's/coach's/CEO's.

There is absolutely no way you can apportion 0% of the blame, for want of a better word, on the playing group. There have been so many instances this year of players not doing the small things which are doable whether you're 100 points up or down.

Clearly the state of the club off the field has hurt the players and has created an environment in which it is difficult/impossible to be elite. That is why our draft picks have continually floundered over the last few years, and as such, until we fix it, no new players are going to make us any better. But as we begin to attempt to fix the off-field stuff, we can, and should, still expect our players to put in more of an effort than has appeared to be the case in about 4 games so far this year.

oohh yes ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I though Garland was oustanding. Great to see him stand up and show what I consider to be great leadership in the face of the crap dished up on Sunday. I am the same as everyone probably including the players, I walked away from the ground on Sunday angry and frustrated and wanting blood. By today logic kicks in an I know the last thing we need is instability and change driven by a rabid media pack. Garland is right we need to stick together through this. Great to see Jackson come in with a clear mind and new perspective to manage any change that is needed in a considered and calm way. Change will happen but the last thing we need is another knee jerk based on media pressure. The playing group and coaches are all working overtime as attested by Col to fix the problems but it cant be done overnight and cant be done by simply sacking coaches and or players. the relatity is we do have a young list that also has older players with bugger all games due to long term injuries that need time. We also have to sort the results of poor selection and risk management over a number of years. This will take time and all genuine Melbourne supporters should see this and support the club throuigh it. Neeld and co have come in and inherited a bascket case and I the cold light of day I can see the direction. The list is being cleaned up and new blood brought in, none of the one we delisted are getting gajmes else where and I for one would rather have Terlich, M Jones, and Kent than Morton, Martin and Pettard. They had their chance and blew it. I would have liked to have kept Rivers but he wanted to leave. And lets not forget last years recruit of the year Mitch whcih was a master stroke by Neeld. I can see improvement in a number of players, Garland, Evans, N Jones and Grimes. Neeld has turned Mitch from a bit part player at the Lions to a potential superstar. Great to see the leadership by people like Garland within the paying list developing.

• Like 3

I watched the Interview and if the rest of the players are feeling this way it would show a true passion for the MFC

However I listened to the interview and saw two obvious statements,

One they need to have 22 players ready to compete on game day.

Which we obviously don't , lack of belief, lack of confidence are both evident

Two we need to put what we put into training on the field on game day we don't.

Even the Jones interview indicated the same .

We have a youngish list which is obviously fragile, physcologically, we need to address this .

As Neeld says it I tough work to rebuild a team

We have the talent but not the experience.

but I feel now this also applies to the coach, he does not have the experience as a no1 coach, he doesn't know how to give them that confidence nor belief

I personally like Neeld , and I wouldn't want him to go but he needs help.

From their own mouths it is obvious

The team does not have that mental toughness that is so badly needed and is so obviously lacking as to be competitive on game day !!!

Edited by Demon Stalwart
  • Like 1

One they need to have 22 players ready to compete on game day.

Which we obviously don't , lack of belief, lack of confidence are both evident

Two we need to put what we put into training on the field on game day we don't.

Even the Jones interview indicated the same .

We have the talent but not the experience.

but I feel now this also applies to the coach, he does not have the experience as a no1 coach, he doesn't know how to give them that confidence nor belief

The team does not have that mental toughness that is so badly needed and is so obviously lacking as to be competitive on game day !!!

Spot on DS (well almost!). I had the much the same thoughts. Though i would add the following:

• By emphasizing we need 22 players to compete the inference Garlo makes is that some players are just not putting in (which is obvious to observers)
  • To further emphasis this he reiterates the point about missed tackles
  • Garlo clearly cares about the club and appeared completely genuine and truthful
  • It was instructive that when asked about support for the coach from the team he could/would only speak for himself - if all players were behind Neeld he would have said so (and my feeling was he was not going to lie)
  • And most damning of all Garland made much the same point as Dawes did in the article he wrote - players are training well but not turning up on game day ready to play AFL footy and he does not know why - this is an indictment on Neeld unfortunately and i hate to see the players so confused about this (several others have commented on it in pressers). They should not have to worry about it (other than doing what they are instructed to do and preparing properly) - the coach should be taking care of this part
  • Like 1

Is this meant to be a positive or negative comment? I don't understand the repeated use of the +.

Plus plus plus plus plus plus?

I think it's very positive.

What continues to hurt our player's development is very simple: a lack of senior talent to guide them. Even the Dogs have this, which is why their youngsters, almost without exception, are coming along nicely. The void in this area makes the appointment of talented coaches that much more pivotal.