THE WILSON FILE - the arrogance at the heart of the innuendo

Whispering_Jack

More subjective opinion and conjecture. A couple of weeks ago anyone else who lay down for draft picks were OK in light of Melbourne doing the same basically because Melbourne is different according to this goose. Now she is wanting to revise punishments from a decade ago in light of the Crows (as yet unknown) punishment . These are classic cases of choosing a position to suit your agenda, just pathetic, agenda driven BS. Did she study Journalism or Creative Writing?

Neither would be my guess because even if it was the latter she should have learned how to take responsibility for her fictions.

he never put in the $3m he promised.

This is an example of someone not lying but knowing very well they are misleading.

He put in $2.7m.

Can we just stop bringing up this crap?

We are a divided club at the minute (as an anonymous few are trying to bring down Schwab) and I know that you yourself, jnrmac, have riled at my suggestions we are divided but what do you think your views are?

They are divisive.

Just move on.

The Merger ©, Gutnick, Szondy, Gardner...

We all need to move the F___ on.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 6

She's referring there to our salary cap breaches of a decade ago. I wonder what Melbourne officials she wanted sanctioned?

She said exactly the same thing last night on AW. It was during a discussion about Adelaide but she couldnt help herself but to get a offside jab into MFC. What got me was Dwayne "I hate Melbourne" Russell asked her what she would be happy with as in the penalty that AFL should hand down to Adelaide. Hang on when did she become arbiter of all things AFL. She doesn't need anymore puffing up otherwise she would explode. When it came time to discuss Melbourne's "tanking" she said that CC was in deep doo doo depite the Clubs and CC's argument that the statement was made off the cuff. That CS is still in trouble but not as much as CC. I didn't quite understand her statement about the Club taking on legal representation and the AFL's reaction. I'm not sure whether she was inferring that MCG was either pressuring or threatening the AFL or whether the AFL did not want this to go to court. Did anyone else hear that conversation. Of course there was the comment about Melbourne supporters having their heads in the sand about the tanking issue, comments on social media from supporters etc. Does she read Demonland. If she doesnt she should.

I must confess to not having read this whole thread but I'd imagine there are few if any posts in support of Caro. Personally I think she is a must read and an important cog in the business of the AFL because she keeps everyone pretty honest.

I have no issue with her treatment of MFC. She is sussing out the facts and reporting them and then just offering an opinion. I don't like what I hear but I can't see she's done anything wrong.

I'm with her all the way on Adelaide. Without the likes of her clubs would be much freer to break rules and the larger clubs would hold the whip hand. She keeps them honest.

She also reports on the part of the game I enjoy, the politics and the uneasy relationship that exists between the AFL and the Clubs. Without her we would be more ignorant of issues than we are now and there would be much greater reward and willingness for "bending the rules". What club now would risk being as blatant as MFC or Carlton in pursuit of draft picks?

There is no doubt she has hurt our club with her attacks in the last few weeks but the only reason we are in this position is because we were incompetent in the execution of an AFL approved methodology and one that we probably all thought was "tacky" at best. She has been in part responsible for removing the PP which is a good thing.

Keep up the good work Caro.

• Like 2

I must confess to not having read this whole thread but I'd imagine there are few if any posts in support of Caro. Personally I think she is a must read and an important cog in the business of the AFL because she keeps everyone pretty honest.

I have no issue with her treatment of MFC. She is sussing out the facts and reporting them and then just offering an opinion. I don't like what I hear but I can't see she's done anything wrong.

I'm with her all the way on Adelaide. Without the likes of her clubs would be much freer to break rules and the larger clubs would hold the whip hand. She keeps them honest.

She also reports on the part of the game I enjoy, the politics and the uneasy relationship that exists between the AFL and the Clubs. Without her we would be more ignorant of issues than we are now and there would be much greater reward and willingness for "bending the rules". What club now would risk being as blatant as MFC or Carlton in pursuit of draft picks?

There is no doubt she has hurt our club with her attacks in the last few weeks but the only reason we are in this position is because we were incompetent in the execution of an AFL approved methodology and one that we probably all thought was "tacky" at best. She has been in part responsible for removing the PP which is a good thing.

So "at best" we were tacky, but you have 'no issue' with the club being called "pathetic and disgusting."

She has read too much into things, gone too early with her claims, and has given very little evidence for her claims that we will be severely punished.

So yes, you have got the reaction that you wanted, Fan. Well done.

• Like 1

She could do all that 'good stuff' without the prejudicial attack-dog attitude she has displayed towards the MFC. If what you say is true, why hasn't she also gone after the other obvious tanking cases at all? She doesn't even mention them in passing, but in a Tippet article she can't resist mentioning MFC in passing.

• Like 2

Caro is presenting pieces on information in a distorted way to push an agenda. She is not presenting facts and an opinion - as if they were separated in any of her articles! She is presenting information shaped by an opinion - the information may or may not contain 'facts'. The distortions evident in her pieces on the MFC to date call into question the manner of her reporting, the quality of her sources and her own motivations.

That is not, to my way of thinking, journalism of any quality beyond muckraking. The investigative reports of Nick McKensie into racing, into the RBA; the articles of Michael West about power companies both represent good journalism: a heavy reliance on information, corrorborated sources, careful argument and balance. Caro's articles about the MFC lack any semblance of that.

• Like 6

This is an example of someone not lying but knowing very well they are misleading.

He put in $2.7m.

Can we just stop bringing up this crap?

We are a divided club at the minute (as an anonymous few are trying to bring down Schwab) and I know that you yourself, jnrmac, have riled at my suggestions we are divided but what do you think your views are?

They are divisive.

Just move on.

The Merger ©, Gutnick, Szondy, Gardner...

We all need to move the F___ on.

I'm not sure we are a divided club at the moment ........ but I agree we do need to move on

Unfortunately Wilson just keeps throwing up the past - not just 2009 but now the "salary cap breach"

I'll keep my views on Gutnick to myself - but I will say that - in this context - his knee-jerk admission was most unfortunate for it has muddied on our record of compliance with AFL rules. As Ridley's book explains in detail, it is by no means clear that we did actually breach the salary cap that year.

Back to topic it is amazing how regularly Wilson manages to have a dig at CS and the MFC . Let's not follow her lead by digging up divisions of the past

you are kidding mate. And you are a moderator on this site!!

What facts has Wilson bought up?

Apart from a personal vendetta on our CEO she has invented her own facts.

You are happy for the club to roll over and take whatever punch is delivered.

I am happy all this Tanking Bullsh is finally being dealt with but only because the Laws will be rewritten.

As a mod. Do us all a favour and delete yourself. You are not a demon.

Wilson is running out of words. Thankfully.

• Like 1

Caro is surprisingly accurate in many of the things she says, she has exceptional sources and that is why she has been called in to the Tippett issue. She can find stuff out.

Yes, she offers opinion, yes, it's often harsh and yes she takes the high moral ground. But I've not seen any "false facts" reported in her articles about us of a material nature or perhaps the odd typo.

Everyone here is just making her great. She is there to report AFL footy for The Age and sell papers. She's done it wonderfully for years and is more interesting to read than any other reporter IMO. And if it was Collingwood or Carlton on the end of her attacks people here would be cheering her on. But of course they were too smart to get caught.

It was MFC incompetance that has invited these critiques - blaming Wilson is just shooting the messenger.

Fortunately, I'm confident the AFL is not as effected by her views as many here and I don't think her attacks will influence the outcome of their investigation.

• Like 1

Caro is surprisingly accurate in many of the things she says, she has exceptional sources and that is why she has been called in to the Tippett issue. She can find stuff out.

Yes, she offers opinion, yes, it's often harsh and yes she takes the high moral ground. But I've not seen any "false facts" reported in her articles about us of a material nature or perhaps the odd typo.

Everyone here is just making her great. She is there to report AFL footy for The Age and sell papers. She's done it wonderfully for years and is more interesting to read than any other reporter IMO. And if it was Collingwood or Carlton on the end of her attacks people here would be cheering her on. But of course they were too smart to get caught.

It was MFC incompetance that has invited these critiques - blaming Wilson is just shooting the messenger.

Fortunately I'm confident the AFL is not as effected by her views as many here and I don't think her attacks will influence the outcome of their investigation.

wilson is suprisingly accurate??

And how would you know this?

If you read the whole thread paying particular close attention to Jack's opening post including it's links, you may have a different perspective.

Btw, how do you know she is reporting/sussing out the facts?

What about the "Secret Meeting" that was actually a routine meeting?

What about name of the meeting being called "The Vault" even though it is what the tin shed was called?

I mean god damn it, Fan. You can have your preconceptions and you don't have to embrace the current Admin, McLardy or Schwab but Wilson has had an awful month on this and embracing her now seems indefensible.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 4

Caro has historically broken the big stories and has been accurate in her reporting. She has excellent contacts, particularly into the MFC. Schwab's loan from the Club, the Neeld appointment process ant the Nathan Carroll delisting issue in 2008 are just examples where she's broken stories and had that facts right.

AFAIK she was the first to report the CC comments made to people in the Vault. Nobody has denied these comments were made and to date they are the most damning public information on our "processes". I strongly suspect the AFL have more.

Her success over a long period is because she is right the vast majority of the time.

I think she's right this time.

I appreciate the "loyalty" of people denouncing her articles because they attack something we love. Sadly we've given her more than enough ammunition which is nobodies fault but our own.

Fortunately I'm confident the AFL is not as effected by her views as many here and I don't think her attacks will influence the outcome of their investigation.

Misfud?????

• Like 1

Caro has historically broken the big stories and has been accurate in her reporting. She has excellent contacts, particularly into the MFC. Schwab's loan from the Club, the Neeld appointment process ant the Nathan Carroll delisting issue in 2008 are just examples where she's broken stories and had that facts right.

AFAIK she was the first to report the CC comments made to people in the Vault. Nobody has denied these comments were made and to date they are the most damning public information on our "processes". I strongly suspect the AFL have more.

Her success over a long period is because she is right the vast majority of the time.

I think she's right this time.

I appreciate the "loyalty" of people denouncing her articles because they attack something we love. Sadly we've given her more than enough ammunition which is nobodies fault but our own.

you sound like one of those contacts particularly close to the MFC Fan....?

What about the "Secret Meeting" that was actually a routine meeting?

What about name of the meeting being called "The Vault" even though it is what the tin shed was called?

I mean god damn it, Fan. You can have your preconceptions and you don't have to embrace the current Admin, McLardy or Schwab but Wilson has had an awful month on this and embracing her now seems indefensible.

You can nitpick all you like. The point is there was a meeting and CC did say some very provocative things at worse or cracked a very poor joke at best.

My view on McLardy, Schwab and others is totally irrelevant to my view on Wilson but you'll struggle to see that as you do with so many issues that are not straightforward.

Fan - I suggest you do read this thread - because it contains a great deal of evidence of a journalist's determination to damage one club - and one executive. Before you defend her I suggest you familiarise yourself with the facts.

A quality journalist focusing on tensions between the clubs and the AFL - would give equal considerations to all clubs. Why hasn't Wilson insisted on a full enquiry into the Kreuzer Cup? Why hasn;'t she described the actions of the Adelaide Football Club as "disgusting and pathetic"? Yes- I guess she has called for Steven Triggs's resignation - but then she has more evidence of that than merely his facial expression after one game ? Has she looked at the Adelaide Annual Report for evidence of executive loans as she has for Melbourne ? Why hasn't she considered that Brock McLean disillusionment with the MFC stemmed from the fact that he was relegated to starting on the bench - and saw Scully and Trengove pushing him down to the VFL?

The only work Caro can keep up is prejudiced work

• Like 1

perhaps you should watch the caro vs brayshaw video's on footy classified too.

just to give you an idea of her "accuracy"

You can nitpick all you like. The point is there was a meeting and CC did say some very provocative things at worse or cracked a very poor joke at best.

My view on McLardy, Schwab and others is totally irrelevant to my view on Wilson but you'll struggle to see that as you do with so many issues that are not straightforward.

Nitpick? lol

You are making my point for me.

Before any of the bolded was known - and the varying views on what CC said were gathered - she 'reported' it as a 'threat' and she did that in a news piece, not an editorial. She didn't say it might have been in jest, she flatly said it was a threat.

I have little issue with editorials - I have an issue with the plummeting standards of news (as I have bored a few on here with that view over the last couple of years) and Wilson drove it down further with her quick, messy, and meandering articles malnourished with hard facts.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

R&B I said "in many of the things..". She's been terrible on occasions, specifically her comment on disabled Olympics.

But she's very good for a lot of the time. And Misfud?? She knew of the Misfud/Davey issue well before it became public and didn't report it because she didn't think it held water. She, unlike Thomas, did her homework.