Any of our young players potential star material? And who?

And you are saying - knowing our record of not developing players - only Jurrah might make it.

I am saying that we have plenty of 'potential stars' and turning them into stars should be easier with our new setup.

So we can all make pointless predictions that can be measured in 5 years time or we can have a discussion.

Ok I get it now we cannot be frivolous on Demonland.

Everything has to be serious

Am I on the right track now?

You are correct the only one I see at this point that has the star potential is Jurrah.

It is my estimation, that does not make it necessarily correct just what I see based on current performances.

You no doubt see more than that, I hope you are correct I have no desire to continue at the current level of performance.

Guest José Mourinho

Yes, he's so fantastic that in his 4th year he's running around in the VFL team, while the club he represents is stone motherless last of 18 teams almost a third of the way through the season.

The guy is bloody marvellous.

It's his 3rd year on the list - drafted 2009.

But the rest stands.

Needs to get bigger and much fitter.

Guest José Mourinho

Sorry to disagree Jm but he was drafted in 2008 and played his first game in round 11 2009

Who are we talking about? Gysberts?

Drafted 2009 with pick 11.

Debuted against Geelong in Round 10 of 2010, at Kardinia Park.

edit: link

http://www.melbourne...io/default.aspx

edit 2: my mistake - thought we were discussing Gysberts.

Saw steve jurrah's post directly above and it distracted me.

Edited by José Mourinho

Who are we talking about? Gysberts?

Drafted 2009 with pick 11.

Debuted against Geelong in Round 10 of 2010, at Kardinia Park.

edit: link

http://www.melbourne...io/default.aspx

edit 2: my mistake - thought we were discussing Gysberts.

Saw steve jurrah's post directly above and it distracted me.

No problem JM It happens to most of us even on a good day

Ok I get it now we cannot be frivolous on Demonland.

Everything has to be serious

Am I on the right track now?

That's not the moral.

You were chasing me around the thread because I was apparently missing the point, I am just telling you what the point of the thread was in my eyes.

The end.

And i'm plenty frivolous...

Fairly offensive and IMHO ignorant comment.

Just because a player isn't the toughest on the park, doesn't make him a "pea heart."

I've seen some brave acts from Bennell on the field.

JM i have been to every game that Bennell has played Ive seen no brave acts in fact his lack of go and poor skills costs us during the game and he adds absolutely nothing to the team in fact he is one reason the team cannot get on a roll during the game because of the weak displays he produces All my opinion of course

• Like 1

JM i have been to every game that Bennell has played Ive seen no brave acts in fact his lack of go and poor skills costs us during the game and he adds absolutely nothing to the team in fact he is one reason the team cannot get on a roll during the game because of the weak displays he produces All my opinion of course

+100%

Your use of absolutes ("absolutely nothing", "no brave acts" etc) tells me you're looking through biassed eyes and you'll probably never give credit where it's due. No doubt Bennell has had some embarrassingly soft moments - especially early in his career, but I struggle to believe that he's never, ever gone hard at the ball or the man.

• Like 1

Your use of absolutes ("absolutely nothing", "no brave acts" etc) tells me you're looking through biassed eyes and you'll probably never give credit where it's due. No doubt Bennell has had some embarrassingly soft moments - especially early in his career, but I struggle to believe that he's never, ever gone hard at the ball or the man.

You are right re the last comment Nasher.

IMO he is close to the poorest player on our list

After 53 games one would expect he would be getting more than 4 posessions a game.

He has been given a lot of games in his four years at the MFC.

Seldom has he produced a game that would warrant a game the following week.

Every time I see him selected I think we are starting with 21 players again this week.

I truely struggle with what the FD see in him.

• Like 1

You are right re the last comment Nasher.

IMO he is close to the poorest player on our list

After 53 games one would expect he would be getting more than 4 posessions a game.

He has been given a lot of games in his four years at the MFC.

Seldom has he produced a game that would warrant a game the following week.

Every time I see him selected I think we are starting with 21 players again this week.

I truely struggle with what the FD see in him.

yep...youd think , if not setting the world on fire , that at least youd see a bright flame of sorts. Seems just another pedestrian nqr in a Melblurne jumper for mine.

i.e he can play football but weneed more than that. Hes not alone though by a long shot.

Totally agree , after 50 games there ought to be some real indication of whats about to happen

The reason why this is a hard call is because the players that we have to chose from (ie Trengove, Watts, Tapscott, etc), are needing to step up and carry the load that other teams have decent/reliable senior players carrying. Because of their age/development/etc, carry such responsibilities will see more poor performances than good ones (hence our ladder position), and in turn, will see us supporters losing faith and confidence in these kids abilities.

This is probably the biggest challenge Neeld will have as a coach; keeping the spirits and confidence of these kids as high as possible, all while they are continually getting their arses kicked both during games, as well on the training track. It will get to a stage in the very near future where they are official senior players, as the likes of Green, Rivers and Davey are not in the team. They will then be the ones that have to stand up, as they will be leading the next bunch of "potential young stars".

That said, and so that I'm not seen as sitting on the fence, I think the 5 players that have the potential to be stars are (in no particular order);

* Trengove

* Watts

* Howe

* Blease

* McKenzie

When the likes of the named players above have played 50-100 games, and have got Frawley, Jones and Grimes as the "older" players, it's then when the likes of Jack Viney and hopefully our number 1,2 & 12 pick from this year will have decent players to look up to and take a lot of the hard tags, freeing them up to thrive and reach their potential quicker.

• Like 2

The reason why this is a hard call is because the players that we have to chose from (ie Trengove, Watts, Tapscott, etc), are needing to step up and carry the load that other teams have decent/reliable senior players carrying. Because of their age/development/etc, carry such responsibilities will see more poor performances than good ones (hence our ladder position), and in turn, will see us supporters losing faith and confidence in these kids abilities.

This is probably the biggest challenge Neeld will have as a coach; keeping the spirits and confidence of these kids as high as possible, all while they are continually getting their arses kicked both during games, as well on the training track. It will get to a stage in the very near future where they are official senior players, as the likes of Green, Rivers and Davey are not in the team. They will then be the ones that have to stand up, as they will be leading the next bunch of "potential young stars".

That said, and so that I'm not seen as sitting on the fence, I think the 5 players that have the potential to be stars are (in no particular order);

* Trengove

* Watts

* Howe

* Blease

* McKenzie

When the likes of the named players above have played 50-100 games, and have got Frawley, Jones and Grimes as the "older" players, it's then when the likes of Jack Viney and hopefully our number 1,2 & 12 pick from this year will have decent players to look up to and take a lot of the hard tags, freeing them up to thrive and reach their potential quicker.

Agree with all you have said and would only add that I am not dismissive of Morton

From my v limited viewing (free TV only) he seems to be often in position and does display good skills

Like Watts has an efortless efficiency which is easily overlooked when we do need some authority (ie Mitch)

It appears to me that Morton like Watts sometimes is about to make his instictive move and then hesitates due to those around him not being aware of that instinctive move, As they play together these moments mesh together seamlessly. I did see some moments in the Casey game where this instinctive action occurred so maybe success and confidence has somethging to do with it

yep...youd think , if not setting the world on fire , that at least youd see a bright flame of sorts. Seems just another pedestrian nqr in a Melblurne jumper  for mine.

i.e  he can play football but weneed more than that.   Hes not alone though by a long shot.

Totally agree , after 50 games there ought to be some real indication of whats about to happen

You are right not even a flicker Nor smoke nor warmthOh sorry for absolutes