Schwab's shock resignation

daisycutter

I have quite a few mates who follow Fremantle and they are scolding of their criticism of Cameron Schwab

Still yet to tell me why in concrete examples

He involved himself heavily with list management and on field decisions when it wasn't his place.

Led Freo down the path of trading picks to give them a shot at the flag. It back fired terribly.

And he also went to the united states and completed a course on management (fully paid for by freo) when he came back he resigned and promised not to work at another club.

(These are all rumors from big footy freo supporters)

I don't see why they hold such a grunge. Freo were a basket case before Schwab, he made them an off field powerhouse. (although in a two club state, it might not be hard)

Also I would prefer to top up on ready mades and have a shot at the top than come close and give up.

Edit: I've started a thread on Freo's big footy board asking them. You can check it out here.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933757

Edited by UTAH

He involved himself heavily with list management and on field decisions when it wasn't his place.

Led Freo down the path of trading picks to give them a shot at the flag. It back fired terribly.

And he also went to the united states and completed a course on management (fully paid for by freo) when he came back he resigned and promised not to work at another club.

I don't see why they hold such a grunge. Freo were a basket case before Schwab, he made them an off field powerhouse. (although in a two club state, it might not be hard)

Also I would prefer to top up on ready mades and have a shot at the top than come close and give up.

Edit: I've started a thread on Freo's big footy board asking them. You can check it out here.

http://www.bigfooty....ad.php?t=933757

Was CS really that involved in the Shockers trading...or are they just using him as a scapegoat for the recruiting teams inept decision making??

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933757

'Imperial Purples' answer to your Big Footy question is intriguing! I'd post it

In here but alas I am on my iPhone. Follow the link and have a read. It comes from the heart of a bitter Freo supporter but his beliefs of what Schwab did/didn't do for their club is highly intriguing.

interesting, but I think CS is being made a scapegoat on the trading, which has been bad since day one...long before CS. Interestingly only a few years ago their head of recruiting resigned, it had been the same guy since they formed. So that had the guy n charge the whole time...the results speak for themselves, same MO in almost all trades...not CS, besides on memory Freo at the time was "topping" up.

Is he involved in our recruiting -- no...maybe he busted wanted to capture his early days at the MFC as a recruiter and feels he still has it?

But the points of being a micro manager, yes he is..many obsessed people are..no not a good trait, but good oversight fixes that problem once indentified.

Involved too much in the footy department, yes by all accounts, think that has been solved now..time will tell.

Financially had be with the rest of the club righted the financial ship, yes...did he get a huge sponsor (Yes we just dumped it) on great terms yes, are we int he black and actually growing our assets..yes.

Basically CS puts in the time and effort we need to save this club financially. Is he perfect no way, does he love the MFC, yes. Basically with good oversight and clear separation of duties , which I think the club has address. He one of the best CEO's around I think, and he has righted one basket case (freo) and so will we.

Guest José Mourinho

It was Schwab that brokered the deal that saw us send the #1, 20 and 36 pick to the Hawks in 2001. (That in itself is enough for the vitriol). We got Croad and McPharlin. (We kept pick 4 and got Polak.)

Hawks picked up a couple of handy players in Hodge and Mitchell with two of those three picks.

Then 2 years later, Schwabby was at it again when he traded Croad back to the Hawks in exchange for pick 10.

So Hawks end up with Hodge and Mitchell - we got McPharlin. Now I love McPharlin, but we probably could have got him anyway as a homesick 20 year old at the time.

The very next year he sent off pick 3 (I think) to Brisbane and Adam McPhee to Essendon in exchange for Des Headland. This was after a bidding war with WCE which saw them pull out when the stakes became too high, and sign Daniel Chick instead. Now I am happy that we never had that cancerous creature at our club, but Des never really reached any great heights under CC's coaching, Brisbane picked up Brennan, and McPhee went onto become AA and a B&F winner at the Bombers. Our second round pick went to the Dees for Farmer so we were out of the first two rounds of the 2002 draft.

Schwab then stuck his hand in things again in 2004, when in cahoots with Connolly he traded our first, second and third picks in the draft for Josh Carr. Again, Carr was a good player, but was he worth compromising our entire draft year for (after having done it in 2002 also)? I would think not.

In 2006 after reaching a prelim, Schwabby and CC were determined that a big signing would be the final piece of the premiership puzzle. They packaged up our pick 13 + the only player from the 2001 debacle in Polak, and sent it to Richmond for pick 8.

Richmond used pick 13 to get Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt. Plus they also had Polak.

So then, Schwabby waves pick 8 under Collingwood's nose and says - "Give us Tarrant". Collingwood say that pick 8 is not enough. So Schwabby and CC pack favourite son Paul Medhurst off as the "sweetener" and send him along with pick 8 to Collingwood.

Collingwood used pick 8 to get AA CHB Ben Reid. Plus they also had Medhurst.

Net gain Freo: Tarrant and a Bottom 8 finish in 2007.

Net gain Richmond: Riewoldt and Polak (who was handy till he ran in fron of a tram).

Net gain Collingwood: Reid and Medhurst (who despite not really doing a whole lot more there than with us, scores himself an AA guernsey).

Schwabby loves to get his hands dirty and get involved when it comes to trade time. He loves the thrill of outbidding other clubs when he has a target. He will continue to up the ante and pay way overs, rather than back down. He will happily mortgage the future and pay a player more than he is worth to put a #11 on the back of a big signing where he has "beaten all comers"... oh sorry, didn't mean to get so specific... but I think you see a pattern here and let me tell you - the end will not be pretty.

When Schwab and Connolly were given their marching orders I swear there would have been a huge number of FFC members who would have volunteered to drive them to the airport and personally see them onto the plane and far, far away from our footy club.

Ok, so CS sin't much of a list manager - that's why we now have Tim Harrington in place, Mark Neeld will be all over these decisions, and Schwab should rightly be nowhere near them.

That shouldn't be a concern for us.

'Imperial Purples' answer to your Big Footy question is intriguing! I'd post it

In here but alas I am on my iPhone. Follow the link and have a read. It comes from the heart of a bitter Freo supporter but his beliefs of what Schwab did/didn't do for their club is highly intriguing.

F

From BigFooty's ImperialPurple:

It was Schwab that brokered the deal that saw us send the #1, 20 and 36 pick to the Hawks in 2001. (That in itself is enough for the vitriol). We got Croad and McPharlin. (We kept pick 4 and got Polak.)

Hawks picked up a couple of handy players in Hodge and Mitchell with two of those three picks.

Then 2 years later, Schwabby was at it again when he traded Croad back to the Hawks in exchange for pick 10.

So Hawks end up with Hodge and Mitchell - we got McPharlin. Now I love McPharlin, but we probably could have got him anyway as a homesick 20 year old at the time.

The very next year he sent off pick 3 (I think) to Brisbane and Adam McPhee to Essendon in exchange for Des Headland. This was after a bidding war with WCE which saw them pull out when the stakes became too high, and sign Daniel Chick instead. Now I am happy that we never had that cancerous creature at our club, but Des never really reached any great heights under CC's coaching, Brisbane picked up Brennan, and McPhee went onto become AA and a B&F winner at the Bombers. Our second round pick went to the Dees for Farmer so we were out of the first two rounds of the 2002 draft.

Schwab then stuck his hand in things again in 2004, when in cahoots with Connolly he traded our first, second and third picks in the draft for Josh Carr. Again, Carr was a good player, but was he worth compromising our entire draft year for (after having done it in 2002 also)? I would think not.

In 2006 after reaching a prelim, Schwabby and CC were determined that a big signing would be the final piece of the premiership puzzle. They packaged up our pick 13 + the only player from the 2001 debacle in Polak, and sent it to Richmond for pick 8.

Richmond used pick 13 to get Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt. Plus they also had Polak.

So then, Schwabby waves pick 8 under Collingwood's nose and says - "Give us Tarrant". Collingwood say that pick 8 is not enough. So Schwabby and CC pack favourite son Paul Medhurst off as the "sweetener" and send him along with pick 8 to Collingwood.

Collingwood used pick 8 to get AA CHB Ben Reid. Plus they also had Medhurst.

Net gain Freo: Tarrant and a Bottom 8 finish in 2007.

Net gain Richmond: Riewoldt and Polak (who was handy till he ran in fron of a tram).

Net gain Collingwood: Reid and Medhurst (who despite not really doing a whole lot more there than with us, scores himself an AA guernsey).

Schwabby loves to get his hands dirty and get involved when it comes to trade time. He loves the thrill of outbidding other clubs when he has a target. He will continue to up the ante and pay way overs, rather than back down. He will happily mortgage the future and pay a player more than he is worth to put a #11 on the back of a big signing where he has "beaten all comers"... oh sorry, didn't mean to get so specific... but I think you see a pattern here and let me tell you - the end will not be pretty.

When Schwab and Connolly were given their marching orders I swear there would have been a huge number of FFC members who would have volunteered to drive them to the airport and personally see them onto the plane and far, far away from our footy club.

There have been some good responses. It seems very odd that Cam Schwab gets the blame for the bad trades. What the hell were the recruiting and list managers doing?

I feel that Cam Schwab left at a low point and therefore gets a lot of the blame. Just have a look at our opinion of Barry P now that he has left. A lot have turned on him because things are going bad while they were praising him back in 2010.

F

From BigFooty's ImperialPurple:

The Josh Carr trade was utter madness. At the time I thought it was crazy and in hindsight its even worse!

Guest Jackie

There seems to be a continuity of ineptness with both clubs starting at Fremantle and now continuing on to us. With all roads and finger pointing leading to CS and CC.

Interesting to hear Mark Robinson talk about a dinner with Cam and our prez a few years ago where Cam detailed how he thought football and as an extension the type of player required to play that game was going, we selected that type of player and here we sit.

Was he reflecting or directing the football department?