Tom Scully

So What....?? Blucher is being paid by Scully to be his manager, not to be coersed into the darkness of Gubby Allen.

i am sure he also has a legal representative to keep an eye on his business.

The fact that Blucher and Allen worked together is not important, the AFL family is pretty small anyway.

I disagree. I mentioned on this post last night that Velocity Sports' positioning throughout this affair has more holes in it than a piece of swiss cheese.

This is a business run by Alistair Lynch and formerly Michael Voss. They employed another former Lions employee in Peter Blucher who was a sports journalist in a previous life and later the club's media manager. They have close relationships with Graeme Allen. Their change of tack throughout this entire scenario hasn't been put under scruting so far.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its rather easier to ask , how hasnt he ? I mean..really..who is he ? Yes the club saya a lot publically..and youd beleive all of that ?? You can bet a very different line is taken behind closed doors.

The club want this over with. its trumped the situation by placing an offer on the table.. It want this expedited and put to bed. Unfortunately it my be over trumped by the WildCard.

Theres no reason now not to sign with the club. Many from boths sides of , what shal lwe describe al this as , "a view" can see that there's no logical impediment to signing now. he doesnt .. Thats mucking the club around.

Yes , hes sticking to a "line" made last year but is that reasonable under the circumstances and conditions as theyve evolved ? Many dont think so.

Rubbish...Did the Team looked bothered at all by this saga last saturday night??

No. If Tom was mucking the club around, Beamer Bailey and our CEO would not have all stuck up for Tom last week, a point many people have skimmed over.

I can accept the compensation WYL. What I don't accept are the lies.

And yes it does make me angry. Because we Melbourne supporters don't deserve it.

Lies....? You know of these lies categorically coming from Tom's Mouth do you..

Sorry i actually believe Tom's word until i am shown something else.

Tom put his body on the line for our club just before 3/4 time last saturday....would he do that if he has signed for a different club????

Theres no reason now not to sign with the club. Many from boths sides of , what shal lwe describe al this as , "a view" can see that there's no logical impediment to signing now. he doesnt .. Thats mucking the club around.

Yes , hes sticking to a "line" made last year but is that reasonable under the circumstances and conditions as theyve evolved ? Many dont think so.

At least he is consistent.

If you are made two offers of ridiculously large amounts of money, but you need to make a decision as to which one is the best fit for you going ahead, have to make life decisions regarding family, friends, relocation, etc etc and you are just 19 years old... would you be able to give an answer in a matter of days, weeks or months?

There was no concrete offer from GWS until AFTER MFC had made their offer... prior to that was a lot of rumour and hearsay. He may well have been considering options prior to MFC tabling theirs, but once the two offers are there and very real, I would imagine all of the imagining and fantasizing prior to that moment would go out of the window.

In my opinion, the only truly selfish "participants" in this are the supporters. It's easy for us to make demands and accusations as we aren't in his shoes. He must make probably the biggest decision of his life at a very tender age... give him a break FFS.

Edited by hardtack

Rubbish...Did the Team looked bothered at all by this saga last saturday night??

No. If Tom was mucking the club around, Beamer Bailey and our CEO would not have all stuck up for Tom last week, a point many people have skimmed over.

What ...youd expect them to run around like headless chooks ... . This is brinkmanship....a game of poker.

Guest 36DD

Make no mistake, we are being shafted here WYL.

Bullied by the AFL and punk'd by a shady clique of player managers and recruiters.

We gave this guy the # 31 guernsey.

Number 31.

So that means he's a dead cert to leave then...Barassi wore 31, Barassi left to join Carlton is this more or less pertinent than the little tidbit before bout Alistair Lynch, Gubby Allan and Blucher???

I disagree. I mentioned on this post last night that Velocity Sports' positioning throughout this affair has more holes in it than a piece of swiss cheese.

This is a business run by Alistair Lynch and formerly Michael Voss. They employed another former Lions employee in Peter Blucher who was a sports journalist in a previous life and later the club's media manager. They have close relationships with Graeme Allen. Their change of tack throughout this entire scenario hasn't been put under scruting so far.

Ricky Nixon also ran one of these businesses as well, does it matter??

Do you really think Tom's Fingers will be broken or disfigured if he does not sign with whom Velocity want him to sign with??

You are reading to deep IMO Strawbs.

So that means he's a dead cert to leave then...Barassi wore 31, Barassi left to join Carlton is this more or less pertinent than the little tidbit before bout Alistair Lynch, Gubby Allan and Blucher???

Barrassi played 204 games for 6 flags in Melbourne colours. The rest is window dressing.

The man has a Demon Heart.

And yes, Scully is a dead cert to leave.

Guest hangon007

I can accept the compensation WYL. What I don't accept are the lies.

And yes it does make me angry. Because we Melbourne supporters don't deserve it.

Its yet to be proven beyond doubt he has lied. Time will only tell that ... assuming the whole truth is delivered and by whom.

At this stage its only allegedly.

Edited by hangon007

Loved Robbie, and loved the fact that he was Melbourne through and through.

But if you remember him, you must also remember a time where footballers trained Tuesday and Thursday nights and had to have a day job during the week. Robbie worked hard in a sports shop at Knox City six days a week (Saturday mornings before games). For Robbie football was a part time job as he set himself up for life with his sport shop, later becoming Sporstco.

It was also a time of reserves, zoning, long lists and resting an older player in the forward pocket to nurse him through the last couple of years. Players would not be squeezed out as soon as they past their peak. In Robbies day James McDonald, Cam Bruce and Brad Miller would still be at Melbourne.

It's a different era, players are professionals and they get one shot at setting themselves up for life. They can't work a day job, and they are only wanted as long as they are needed.

Most posters who scream loyalty from Scully also argue that Melbourne should not pay him over the odds, and the club should not treat him any different than any other player.

It's a professional era, with both the players and the clubs treating the game like a business.

I understand your view Thomo. We often drove miles to go to Robbie's shop just to talk to him and ask for an autograph. So I'm well aware of the work he had to do outside of football to set himself up for life later on. But humour me for a minute as I transcribe a section from page 110 of his autobiography titled Robbie, published in November 1987. It shows just what he turned down at the time which would have been huge.

He said: "A rival club once offered to pay off the mortgage on the new house I had just bought - all I had to do of course was sign to play with them. The deal would have been worth $60,000 there and then - and it did not include a playing contract. That would have been extra. This happened eight years ago, when I had not been married long. It was an enormous amount of money then and very tempting. But I said no. For one thing it would have meant selling my loyalty, and I was never able to bring myself to do that, even though there were plenty of chances over the years to cash in on my ability."

Edited by Strawbs

Guest 36DD

But if you remember him, you must also remember a time where footballers trained Tuesday and Thursday nights and had to have a day job during the week. Robbie worked hard in a sports shop at Knox City six days a week (Saturday mornings before games). For Robbie football was a part time job as he set himself up for life with his sport shop, later becoming Sporstco.

It was also a time of reserves, zoning, long lists and resting an older player in the forward pocket to nurse him through the last couple of years. Players would not be squeezed out as soon as they past their peak. In Robbie’s day James McDonald, Cam Bruce and Brad Miller would still be at Melbourne.

It's a different era, players are professionals and they get one shot at setting themselves up for life. They can't work a day job, and they are only wanted as long as they are needed.

Most posters who scream loyalty from Scully also argue that Melbourne should not pay him over the odds, and the club should not treat him any different than any other player.

It's a professional era, with both the players and the clubs treating the game like a business.

Offer Scully what he is worth. If he takes it great, if he doesn't so be it. But don't hold Scully to the standards of players from another era, because when it comes down to the hard decisions, the club wont.

Bought a few pairs of boots off Robbie but thought his store was at Forrest Hills before the days of Sportsco. He was almost a mythical figure to a little kid.

If you are made two offers of ridiculously large amounts of money, but you need to make a decision as to which one is the best fit for you going ahead, have to make life decisions regarding family, friends, relocation, etc etc and you are just 19 years old... would you be able to give an answer in a matter of days, weeks or months?

There was no concrete offer from GWS until AFTER MFC had made their offer... prior to that was a lot of rumour and hearsay. He may well have been considering options prior to MFC tabling theirs, but once the two offers are there and very real, I would imagine all of the imagining and fantasizing prior to that moment would go out of the window.

In my opinion, the only truly selfish "participants" in this are the supporters. It's easy for us to make demands and accusations as we aren't in his shoes. He must make probably the biggest decision of his life at a very tender age... give him a break FFS.

Rumour , hearsay. Thats the plausible deniability aspect of it. Its very clever. You cant honestly believe Velocity havent been 'chatting' to GWS.?? They will be talking with everyone. Its their business to do so. Gubby and Co will have been sounding out all the manangement teams to see who and what..and how much. Nothing gets put on paper til it has to be..or indeed sometimes.. when it can be officially be seen to have been.

We arent talking chicken feed here. Its big big money. There is bound to be subtefuge and trickery.

Were seeing somethng played out NOW in public thats been scripted and choreographed over a longer period. In theory GWS isnt even supposed to put anything on the table now.. but it has. .

Yes its a big decision..., wont be his last. Not if hes half as good as he supposed to be.

Youre entitled to your take on this but I dont for one second think this is only now being nutted out. Theres a public "image' of this..and theres the real one.

Hardtack, with the utmost respect: when I hear our player say that he hasn't had an approach from GWS, but when presented with a lucrative Melbourne contract his management says it's only fair to invite GWS to submit a counter offer, I consider that "mucking the club around".

When as a direct result of this saga, I see supporters lower themselves to holding up banners pleading with a 20-year old kid in his second season not to leave, I consider that "mucking the club around". When the media coverage surrounding our club has nothing to do with our on-field performance, but how much money he is going to earn, I consider that "mucking the club around." We may be different in our views, but these are things that will always stay with me.

This is a good arguement, but if Scully signs with the MFC, i'll forget all this in a heart beat... :P

Yes, he left. After giving his blood, sweat and tears for the club and captaining it to two flags. Not after a season and a bit.

Guest 36DD

Barrassi played 204 games for 6 flags in Melbourne colours. The rest is window dressing.

The man has a Demon Heart.

And yes, Scully is a dead cert to leave.

You may be right but do you have anything concrete?

Or just assumptions by twisting and manipulating history to support your stance?

Edited by 36DD

It was also a time of reserves, zoning, long lists and resting an older player in the forward pocket to nurse him through the last couple of years. Players would not be squeezed out as soon as they past their peak. In Robbies day James McDonald, Cam Bruce and Brad Miller would still be at Melbourne.

Offer Scully what he is worth. If he takes it great, if he doesn't so be it. But don't hold Scully to the standards of players from another era, because when it comes down to the hard decisions, the club wont.

I understand your view Thomo. We often drove miles to go to Robbie's shop just to talk to him and ask for an autograph. So I'm well aware of the work he had to do outside of football to set himself up for life later on. But humour me for a minute as I transcribe a section from page 110 of his autobiography titled Robbie, published in November 1987. It shows just what he turned down at the time which would have been huge.

He said: "A rival club once offered to pay off the mortgage on the new house I had just bought - all I had to do of course was sign to play with them. The deal would have been worth $60,000 there and then - and it did not include a playing contract. That would have been extra. This happened eight years ago, when I had not been married long. It was an enormous amount of money then and very tempting. But I said no. For one thing it would have meant selling my loyalty, and I was never able to bring myself to do that, even though there were plenty of chances over the years to cash in on my ability."

That says it all really. In later years G.Lyon, J.Stynes and T.Viney did the same thing.

Edited by Strawbs

Guest 36DD

Yes, he left. After giving his blood, sweat and tears for the club and captaining it to two flags. Not after a season and a bit.

How is this at all related to the current situation disregarding Scully wears 31?

You may be right but do you have anything concrete?

Or just assumptions by twisting and manipulating history to support your stance?

1) Weight of circumstantial evidence.

2) Silence from the Scully camp.

3) The player's willingness to put his own interests ahead of the club's.

Yes us greedy supporters who donate hundreds per year to follow their club. How dare they question teenage millionaires. PS I actually don't think this saga is bothering the playing group at all, this is the culture live and work in. Based on the last two games maybe the same can't be said for TS.

Edited by bush demon

Guest 36DD

1) Weight of circumstantial evidence.

2) Silence from the Scully camp.

3) The player's willingness to put his own interests ahead of the club's.

= kangaroo court