Tom Scully

Rogue

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you said you were more intelligent than that?

You still haven't answered the question. You have used a number of tactics to avoid doing so on several occasions.

Sylvia and Scully, name the differences and justify why you would treat the players differently.......

Oh ffs can't you tell the difference between the two? If not I'm not going to bother.

You just want to argue for the sake of it i've explained my position.

I can't understand why it's so hard to get a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

I've stated the differences above. Put that aside and answer would you not want Sylvia at the club either, given your stated view on Scully based on the principle of addressing the contract at season's end ??

Just RELAX we will get our answer in 8 weeks... No EARLIER.. Get a grip. The more he gets pressure the more embarrassing it gets. Our future will never surround one player.

He's a 20 year old kid that can't deal with a tag yet. He's no superstar just yet. If he leaves he will get tagged for the next 2 years stunting his development and hopefully the Melbourne boys will fire up like never before. People out there should know the feeling if you've played local footy before. The feelinf when rival clubs throw cash at your star players. Theirs not much you can do other then take some of the slack and improve that little bit more. If he stays, great but tbh get over it.

Potentially he's a superstar but atm his best games are not as good as Trengoves best games.

Edited by Clanger King

I can't understand why it's so hard to get a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

I've stated the differences above. Put that aside and answer would you not want Sylvia at the club either, given your stated view on Scully based on the principle of addressing the contract at season's end ??

Because to our knowledge, Sylvia's delay is not choosing between two contracts - which Scully obviously will be. Sylvia is only negotiating with one party ( to our knowledge)

I dont ascribe to this but it is not illogical.

Have you got anything to add, other than that?

I have stated my point, and you had nothing to add other that "sigh". Not my problem if you can't see resason.

Dont disrespect this opinion.I dont agree with RobbieF's opinion and live in the camp that he has a right to decide his next contract at the end of the season.But the statement cited constantly that other players have put their contractual situations to bed and he hasnt is none the less valid and where there is a choice to postpone contract talks rather than commit (which he and has management have chosen to do) then the choice leaves itself open to two different views on that decision.Whilst I dont consider TS mercenary and dont consider this decision all about money - his management has talked about the new players payment scheme - so it is about money. It may not be about getting the most money or a certain amount of money and may only be about a fair amount of money. But since he has delayed his decision when there is another choice and player payments and TV rights has been mentioned then that leaves you open to claims of being mercenary.I dont believe he will go because I take his press conference at face value - loves coming to work, knows where we are going, wants to be a one club player and he answered questions on how you can turn your back on the big bucks. But I will go on the record and say that if he chooses to head north then he is mercenary and it is about only the money and flies in the face of what he said at his presser. As a passionate Melbourne supporter I will have lost all respect for him being mercenary but as a cool headed business person I will understand his decision to secure his future financially ( ie be financially better off). My problem is that I leave the cool headed business person at home when i head to the G to watch the Dees

I don't have a problem with RobbieF having an opinion, but going as far as calling Tom a mercenary is where I (and others) take affront. All one needs to do is read the meaning of the word in the dictionary, and if they know anything about Tom and his motivations, then they can see that mercenary is just an idiotic word to use in this case. Other than that I have no issue whatsoever with Robbie being all bitter. I prefer to go about my day without Tom and the situation he finds himself in upsetting me. We can cross that bridge when we get to it.

If Melbourne pay him $600k or more per year it will have a profound effect on the rest of the players at the club, mark my words.

So you know more about the financial viability of the club, and the state of our TPP than they themselves do you? Why on earth would they offer this amount if they can't afford it, and if it would have detrimental effect to any area of our FD at all?

Edited by Kento80

I prefer to go about my day withoust Tom and the situation he finds himself in affecting me. We can cross that bridge when we get to it.

This is exactly where I am at except I will change the word affecting me - to the word upsetting me. It is affecting me - I have posted 90% of my posts on this topic - now thats called affecting me.

This is exactly where I am at except I will change the word affecting me - to the word upsetting me. It is affecting me - I have posted 90% of my posts on this topic - now thats called affecting me.

Yep, fair enough, I may just make that edit :)

Sigh!

ditto..same highlighted bit...ditto ...

Guest 36DD

I have stated my point, and you had nothing to add other that "sigh". Not my problem if you can't see resason.

I don't have a problem with RobbieF having an opinion, but going as far as calling Tom a mercenary is where I (and others) take affront. All one needs to do is read the meaning of the word in the dictionary, and if they know anything about Tom and his motivations, then they can see that mercenary is just an idiotic word to use in this case. Other than that I have no issue whatsoever with Robbie being all bitter. I prefer to go about my day withoust Tom and the situation he finds himself in affecting me. We can cross that bridge when we get to it.

So you know more about the financial viability of the club, and the state of our TPP than they themselves do you? Why on earth would they offer this amount if they can't afford it, and if it would have detrimental effect to any area of our FD at all?

Yeh, I think labelling Tom a mercenary is a little misguided, but it is RobbieF after all.

I don't necessarily believe that the issue is whether or not Melbourne can afford the rumoured $600,000, it is the effect this will have on other players. As I mentioned in a post earlier, it is human nature to compare ourselves against our contemporaries, and it is a default setting from birth to be very self centered.

How would you feel if you stumbled upon a spreadsheet of wages at your company, one of your colleagues is on significantly more than you, yet is not as competent and nor productive? You're a bigger man than I, if you aren't a little peeved.

Yeh, I think labelling Tom a mercenary is a little misguided, but it is RobbieF after all.

I don't necessarily believe that the issue is whether or not Melbourne can afford the rumoured $600,000, it is the effect this will have on other players. As I mentioned in a post earlier, it is human nature to compare ourselves against our contemporaries, and it is a default setting from birth to be very self centered.

How would you feel if you stumbled upon a spreadsheet of wages at your company, one of your colleagues is on significantly more than you, yet is not as competent and nor productive? You're a bigger man than I, if you aren't a little peeved.

I would be a little peeved, I'll make no bones of that. But I think it is naive of us to think that the club wouldn't have thought long and hard about all of this. They aren't just going to go off half-cocked handing out paycheques that rock the boat. I wouldn't even be surprised if they had had conversations with the leadership group to gauge the feeling amongst the playing group. Obviously it would be stupid if it were to destabilise the club, but I am certain they would have done their due diligence to give it the best chance of success. And I also think that it is different to your average workplace, and is growing more and more so by the day. AD and his expansion revolution have made sure that equality levels amongst players are probably going to get worse. It would be a pretty petty player to cry about it when he can see the same going on at clubs all around him. I think they will have a level of understanding that perhaps we do not, due largely to the desire for success.

Guest 36DD

I would be a little peeved, I'll make no bones of that. But I think it is naive of us to think that the club wouldn't have thought long and hard about all of this. They aren't just going to go off half-cocked handing out paycheques that rock the boat. I wouldn't even be surprised if they had had conversations with the leadership group to gauge the feeling amongst the playing group. Obviously it would be stupid if it were to destabilise the club, but I am certain they would have done their due diligence to give it the best chance of success. And I also think that it is different to your average workplace, and is growing more and more so by the day. AD and his expansion revolution have made sure that equality levels amongst players are probably going to get worse. It would be a pretty petty player to cry about it when he can see the same going on at clubs all around him. I think they will have a level of understanding that perhaps we do not, due largely to the desire for success.

Yeh they seemed pretty switched on, I hope that they can let him go if its going to compromise our future and will avoid a head to head bidding war where ego takes over from common sense.

Guest hangon007

Just RELAX we will get our answer in 8 weeks... No EARLIER.. Get a grip. The more he gets pressure the more embarrassing it gets. Our future will never surround one player.

He's a 20 year old kid that can't deal with a tag yet. He's no superstar just yet. If he leaves he will get tagged for the next 2 years stunting his development and hopefully the Melbourne boys will fire up like never before. People out there should know the feeling if you've played local footy before. The feelinf when rival clubs throw cash at your star players. Theirs not much you can do other then take some of the slack and improve that little bit more. If he stays, great but tbh get over it.

Potentially he's a superstar but atm his best games are not as good as Trengoves best games.

Interesting ... but what you forget many times you dont buy the now you buy the "blue sky" ... called it a stock market if you want. Some you win some you lose ... but you can never win if you dont own it.

Dont focus on the now with some players you are allowed to focus on the future ... C Judd .. What Carlton paid for him was a bargain to what he is now worth from a sponsorship & membership perspective. Carlton are laughing all the way to the bank ... in the bank sits the very money they need to develop further in their WHOLE football department.

Edited by hangon007

Yeh they seemed pretty switched on, I hope that they can let him go if its going to compromise our future and will avoid a head to head bidding war where ego takes over from common sense.

Exactly. I think it will be a case of "this is what we can afford without compromising ourselves, we want you to stay, but if you want more we cannot accommodate you". It will be sad to lose him, but if it comes to that, it is the dawn of the new, harsh reality we will face after the introduction of FA.

Edited by Kento80

.....- his management has talked about the new players payment scheme - so it is about money. It may not be about getting the most money or a certain amount of money and may only be about a fair amount of money. But since he has delayed his decision when there is another choice and player payments and TV rights has been mentioned then that leaves you open to claims of being mercenary.....

I realise this was in teh context of al lthatyou wrote but id like to touch base on this notion about delaying til after the CBA.

I now consier this a total and utter piece of BS. ( not your writings ..but the idea itself) In reality it wlays was too. Tom's package is going to be of an order that blasts through the normal ceiling of neogitations and so renderes any reference to needing to evalutate the CBA's outcome as if not moot, then totally irrelevant. i.e he'll get his 3, 4, 5 million ( whatever ) irregardless of whatevers agrred to by the AFLPA and the AFL. So installing this as some sort of date reference for further talks with whichever club(s) is in essence a crock of sh!t.

Many here as we las myself see that theres no logical reason for delaying a descision any longer than is necessary. And its the notion of whats necessary that becomes the intrigue.

Things have changed since the seasons start. what might have been considered well meaning and sensible in approach is now being viewed ( with due weight ) as unecessary stalling.

The notion that only now have GWS clarified their bid is a lovely piee of spin that Im not buying. GWS will ( in its own interest of due dilligence in the recruitment of the best ) have sounded out Velocity ages ago. They will have been in cahoots in discussiion under the table. Velocity will have know al along what sort of ball park the numbers weer in. What we now see from them is a charade. Well done MFc for forcing things along.

If Tom doesnt think he's participant to this game of ducks and drakes then then he's very much wrong. He, not his management can change it all very simply, if he wishes too. That he doesnt want to suggests some other motives. Its not about the money...and I dont believe for a moment he has/had no idea what been touted ; its about his direction.

Either he does want to play for Melbourne as suggested by some ( in the know *wink* or otherwise ) and in which case it makes no real difference on the surface whther he signs now or later as the numbers are pretty well known and could certainly be agreed to in principle and nutted out later. What it would do is alow the club and the playing group to get on with things with a greater clarity and sense of purpose come planning.

What purpsoe to stand rigidly and stubbornly to a timetable that from the oputside only seems to indicate a desire to go elsewhere.

Whats really achieved by waiting til seasons end ? certainly nothing if to remain a Dee....and there in lays the real question.Is there some impediment not disclosed ?

Very interesting point Clanger, and one that i have considered most of today...Let's be honest THE AFL do not want Tom to be a Melbourne player do they....For some reason they are happy for Carlscum to continue outside deals to keep Ju$$.

But if Tom does leave....EVERY SIDE that plays GWS is going to target him weekly for a large chunk of his career. You can bet that one.

if he stays at the MFC after all this sh!te has gone down i am betting that the MFC players will look after him well.

Let's get one thing straight...Tom Scully did not ask for these contracts, they were offered.

How can the AFL get away with this latest piece of Bull?? Clubs and supporters are being Cheated....down the barrell.

Coulsnt see this written but Robbo was just talking to the OX on SEN,

Latest is Scully had a 3rd party deal knocked back i gather, missed half the story... to work for Jim Stynes Reach foundation, was to be worth 200K per year

Exact replica of the Judd deal, Robbo commented on how the AFL only announced yesterday of the new rules and how he hadnt heard this until then etc, also how it seems the AFL is on a mission to get Scully to GWS, also talk of how it affects salary caps etc

But yeah main point apparently MFC have had a 200K 3rd party deal knocked back...

How can the AFL get away with this latest piece of Bull?? Clubs and supporters are being Cheated....down the barrell.

because its all part of Evil Vlads Master plan. Everything and everyone will be collateral damge where reequired in order to achieve his "world" domination. Such is the way for this determined sociopath.

Latest is Scully had a 3rd party deal knocked back i gather, missed half the story... to work for Jim Stynes Reach foundation, was to be worth 200K per year

Exact replica of the Judd deal, Robbo commented on how the AFL only announced yesterday of the new rules and how he hadnt heard this until then etc, also how it seems the AFL is on a mission to get Scully to GWS, also talk of how it affects salary caps etc

But yeah main point apparently MFC have had a 200K 3rd party deal knocked back...

i heard that too....i think this is going to hurt the AFL in time, it just stinks so much. Blatant double standards, but reading our CEO's twitters this morning, he still doesn't seem too worried, so i haven't given up faith that Tom may actually prefer to stay at the MFC.

Would you want to be part of that crooked organization for a whole career?? Money is not everything so how this plays out will still be fascinating.

I almost wish I didn't love the MFC so much, so that I could feasibly abandon the game altogether. This whole mess absolutely drives me insane. It is so obvious that the AFL is meddling in this scenario as much as possible. How they can stand there and say with a straight face that it is ok for Carlscum to have this BS deal for Judd outside the salary cap, but no-one else can do it to protect the integrity of the competition absolutely beggars belief. I am fully aware that if we lose Scully the world will still turn, but that is not my problem. I just cannot stand this corrupt (and make no mistake, it is corrupt) behaviour, and hope that the club is exploring all legal avenues to take on this mongrel commission.

scully to gws what for???? he is hardly a marquee player , its getting to the point they can just have him, regardless of what people say he has put the club thru hell this year for selfish purposes to try and milk as much money as he can. He aint worth commenting on. Only committed players are worth a thought, and tom simply isnt. See ya tom

because its all part of Evil Vlads Master plan. Everything and everyone will be collateral damge where reequired in order to achieve his "world" domination. Such is the way for this determined sociopath.

Not every Emporer succeeded. This sort of stuff is going to alienate a lot of people....maybe even the AFLPA.

Why is Ju$ able to continue his "work" ( a few photos on a website???)

At least if Tom worked for REACH, you can be sure Jimmy would give him a real job that helps kids.

F@#$K the AFL.

Edited by why you little

Guest 36DD

scully to gws what for???? he is hardly a marquee player , its getting to the point they can just have him, regardless of what people say he has put the club thru hell this year for selfish purposes to try and milk as much money as he can. He aint worth commenting on. Only committed players are worth a thought, and tom simply isnt. See ya tom

It's getting to that stage for me as well, if he doesn't want to be at the MFC then just let him go. I for one would be uncomfortable that Reach would be paying Scully $200,000 a year, which we all know is a token payment, how often is Judd's deal with Visy made fun of?

Reach would be better spending the $200,000 (assuming it would be coming from their coffers)on what they do best, helping youth find their way in the world. I don't want the club to sully itself in this whole shame. We all know the AFL are willing to get dirty, lets be better than that. Let Tom go and lets get as much out of those pricks as possible in terms of compensation.