Lynden Dunn

nutbean

I have now watched Sundays game twice. Is Lynden Dunn having the same impact as the second half of last year ? no. Is he worthy of his place in the team ? I think so. He pushes up hard. He does create pressure and he is on using his bigger body to the teams advantage. I like that he plays in front. I thought he did ok on Sunday. People are calling for Ricky Bobbie to replace him and as much as I love Petterd, Dunn plays an entirely different role and I think we need what he offers in the team. The players review gave some pointed comments regarding some players but seemed happy with Dunn's performance so maybe they saw what I saw.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see what you did.

Dunn gets his couple of goals, does his couple of chases, shows a couple instances of false bravado, but I also see the short steps, the skirting contests, the chases that never were, and the bravado he doesn't show.

His drop in application from the end of 2010 to the start of 2011 is marked and Petterd will take his spot before too long.

Especially now that we will have a ruckman permanently in the square.

Edited by rpfc

Dunn gets his couple of goals, does his couple of chases, shows a couple instances of false bravado, but I also see the short steps, the skirting contests, the chases that never were, and the bravado he doesn't show.

His drop in application from the end of 2010 to the start of 2011 is marked and Petterd will take his spot before too long.

I must be marking too low ! I know the player review can paint too rosey a picture but I actually thought this week that the review took some shots at a few players - Frawley, Garland, Davey. It described Dunn as performing a team role and thats what I saw. I would be surprised if he is dropped - if he is then we need to question the player review that they put out every week. (which is a given - it should be questioned !)

Finally, someone else who sees the impact that Dunn has. I swear some of the people who continually call for him to be dropped must just look at the stats.

He does a heap of good work off the ball and I too would be very surprised to see him dropped.

Read rpfc's post again, then tell me which stats he looked at to see shirked contests, false bravado and short steps. I'd love to know who keeps these statistics.

dunn is our new brad miller.

it's interesting to note both bate, dunn and pettard are averaging around a goal a match for us. which just isn't enough

I think the call on Dunn is harsh and the three players you mentioned are all so different.

1/ Ricky Petterd plays the mid size forward role - he can take a grab but I dont see him competing with Dunn or Bate for a position

2/ Bate - I am concerned for his future - he seems to be treading water ( and taking in great gulps of sea water) - when he is on he can be good but he doesnt create enough defensive pressure

3/ Dunn was settled in the forward line to be the "defensive forward" that has become fashionable. Since so much drive is created from the half back line teams want a shut down forward to take out the creatives that set up play in the back half. Whilst he hasnt been as good as last year I think that Dunn has done his job ( would like to think he was a 25-30 goal per season goal kicker)

Comparing him to Brad Miller - firstly Dunn is a better kick at goal, Dunn is not as one dimensional and has better defensive skills a a forward.

dunn is our new brad miller.

it's interesting to note both bate, dunn and pettard are averaging around a goal a match for us. which just isn't enough

This ignores his role in the team.

Dunn is defensive forward. Every team needs a forward who can strangle an oppositions most damaging opposition rebounder and still be dangerous in front of goal. Dunn plays this role well and will continue to be in the team while he is doing that job. Not every player is going to be a star- some guys need to play their role. Dunn's role is one of the more important in the team.

I think some are just disappointed he hasn't continued kicking 3-5 goals a game like he was in back end of 2010. Well firstly he might get back to that. I think he had 6 scoring shots in round 1. Secondly, if he keeps nullifying the opposition's best rebounders, he will still be in my best 22

Hate to do this to you ...... but i agree whole heartedly

For some of his good work he simply stuffs up or stuffs around. Little impact for all his chest puffing.

oh...and btw....for all the new age football scientists... teh best thing a forward can do is...... kick goals...

ALl this crap about being offensively defensive or defensively negating or impacting the rebounding bloke all forgets the primary role of football....to kick goals....to assist in kicking goals and so on.

The ideaof a forward is to worry the scoreboard and worry the opposition...not worry about the oppostion...its their job to worry about you !!!

I have now watched Sundays game twice. Is Lynden Dunn having the same impact as the second half of last year ? no. Is he worthy of his place in the team ? I think so. He pushes up hard. He does create pressure and he is on using his bigger body to the teams advantage. I like that he plays in front. I thought he did ok on Sunday. People are calling for Ricky Bobbie to replace him and as much as I love Petterd, Dunn plays an entirely different role and I think we need what he offers in the team. The players review gave some pointed comments regarding some players but seemed happy with Dunn's performance so maybe they saw what I saw.

Well done 'nutbean', good post. I think exactly the same as your thoughts.

The only difference I took about Dunn, was about his form 2 weeks back. Then I thought he needed dropping, but he's gradually improving. still not back to his Urgency of last year, but neither is the side, Yet.

Petterd could come in for Dunn, or Watts. He gives a bit more overhead marking power. And is better on the ground.

Read rpfc's post again, then tell me which stats he looked at to see shirked contests, false bravado and short steps. I'd love to know who keeps these statistics.

Well..if you go to the afl website, select the round & game from the "match centre slider" and then click on "full time stats" you can view a selection of stats from that game. You can then add/remove selected stat categories by clicking on the buttons / labels for a particular stat. A mouseover will give you the full description of the abbreviation - EG DE% - "effective disposal percentage".

Obviously rpfc added the sc, fb & ss categories - duh :rolleyes:

I think the call on Dunn is harsh and the three players you mentioned are all so different.

1/ Ricky Petterd plays the mid size forward role - he can take a grab but I dont see him competing with Dunn or Bate for a position

2/ Bate - I am concerned for his future - he seems to be treading water ( and taking in great gulps of sea water) - when he is on he can be good but he doesnt create enough defensive pressure

3/ Dunn was settled in the forward line to be the "defensive forward" that has become fashionable. Since so much drive is created from the half back line teams want a shut down forward to take out the creatives that set up play in the back half. Whilst he hasnt been as good as last year I think that Dunn has done his job ( would like to think he was a 25-30 goal per season goal kicker)

Comparing him to Brad Miller - firstly Dunn is a better kick at goal, Dunn is not as one dimensional and has better defensive skills a a forward.

dunn is a shocking kick at goal...i don't know why you would say he's a better kick than miller...not even an argument.

This ignores his role in the team.

Dunn is defensive forward. Every team needs a forward who can strangle an oppositions most damaging opposition rebounder and still be dangerous in front of goal. Dunn plays this role well and will continue to be in the team while he is doing that job. Not every player is going to be a star- some guys need to play their role. Dunn's role is one of the more important in the team.

I think some are just disappointed he hasn't continued kicking 3-5 goals a game like he was in back end of 2010. Well firstly he might get back to that. I think he had 6 scoring shots in round 1. Secondly, if he keeps nullifying the opposition's best rebounders, he will still be in my best 22

dunn is a taller version of nathan jones with hair and dirty mustache

Like the Seinfeld episode where the cashier dumps Jerry after seeing his act, 'he just doesn't do it for me, it's just a lot of fluff'.

No I'm not talking the fluff around his face, his game is a whole lot of fluff and not much else. Acts the enforcer but is far from that when it's time to go.

Ricky Petterd offers much more IMO, especially as an attacking threat. If Dunn's best ability is to keep a tight rein on an opponent, I'd suggest that Ricky Bobby being a continual threat (which Dunn is not) more than occupies his opponents time.

You could see a mile away that he was going straight at Karmichael when given that 50 mtr penalty on Sunday, it's how he operates. I can't stand that false bravado.

i'd prefer newton in the team than dunn. They have both been on the list for ages, and apart from a nice patch last year neither has shown much. Newton was in good form prior to the suspension, if he continues that form i'd send Dunn back to Casey.

Casey seem to be using Petterd on the ball a bit which might suggest that the FD want him to be a forward who can rotate through the middle? If this is the case i doubt he's competing for spots with dunn?

dunn is a shocking kick at goal...i don't know why you would say he's a better kick than miller...not even an argument.

I said he is a better kick than Miller. Miller has played 134 games for 90 goal and 61 behinds, Dunn has played 74 games for 69 and 51 behinds so you are right - on the statistics Miller was more accurate ( but never kicked enough goals ) - My observations tell me that I would rather have Dunn kicking from 30 metres out than Miller but thats just opinion ( again its opinion but Dunn takes quite a few shots from long distances - look at Millers easy misses on Friday night). The most interesting stat and why he is in the team - Dunn has hit 200 tackles compared to Millers 161 and thats in half the amount of games.

We talk about being a strong man which Miller was perceived as for the first two thirds of his career - he didnt lay nearly enough tackles.

oh...and btw....for all the new age football scientists... teh best thing a forward can do is...... kick goals...

ALl this crap about being offensively defensive or defensively negating or impacting the rebounding bloke all forgets the primary role of football....to kick goals....to assist in kicking goals and so on.

The ideaof a forward is to worry the scoreboard and worry the opposition...not worry about the oppostion...its their job to worry about you !!!

And whilst you are at it - lets get rid of all taggers - lets let Swan run free - just make our mids get more kicks than he does so he has to worry about us. What is the difference between the Bombers last year and this year ? The emphasis on defense.

Sorry to disappoint but it is not new age football science - it is the way the game is played. So much attack is now created from the back half that all teams at some stage use a defensive forward to try and shut down that drive. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Dunn play on Heath Shaw twice last year and negate his set up play from the back ?

Ricky Petterd offers much more IMO, especially as an attacking threat. If Dunn's best ability is to keep a tight rein on an opponent, I'd suggest that Ricky Bobby being a continual threat (which Dunn is not) more than occupies his opponents time.

I will take into consideration that Ricky has played half the games of Dunn ( 37 as opposed to 74) but they are almost identical on goals kicked per game and that doesnt take into account the amount of time that Dunn played as tagging midfielder and Dunn being better defensively. So whilst Ricky still is establishing himself, to suggest that he offers more as an attacking threat doesnt stand up to scrutiny (at this stage).

What I do like about Ricky is his kamikaze approach to the contest ( boy's gonna get hi'self killed)

We talk about being a strong man which Miller was perceived as for the first two thirds of his career - he didnt lay nearly enough tackles.

Dunn has all the physical attributes of a mature bodied AFL footballer...just doesn't do enough...like miller never did enough....miller was only ever any good when we had neitz around.

And whilst you are at it - lets get rid of all taggers - lets let Swan run free - just make our mids get more kicks than he does so he has to worry about us. What is the difference between the Bombers last year and this year ? The emphasis on defense.

Sorry to disappoint but it is not new age football science - it is the way the game is played. So much attack is now created from the back half that all teams at some stage use a defensive forward to try and shut down that drive. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Dunn play on Heath Shaw twice last year and negate his set up play from the back ?

He's done a good job covering both Swan and Shaw at the same time!

Agree he's important as a defensive forward, but he's badly out of form and not finding the ball enough.

2010 Dunn would be nice to have back. If his drop in possession count is due to instructions, then the instructions are wrong.

Persisting with Dunn is persisting with mediocrity and we won't win a Premiership doing that.

Thanks for your time Lynden....next.

Next being Petterd. When uninjured and in touch shows he could be a real weapon in our forward line. God knows our forward line needs someone who has eyes only for the ball.

Read my post again, then tell me where I specifically referred to rpfc.

I was referring to the 'Changes for next week' thread that appears every week, where every second poster wants Dunn dropped. Thankfully, our football department is not so stupid.

As for what rpfc alleges though, I disagree entirely with allegations of shirked contests and the like. Likewise, our football department doesn't see it.

Edited by Stylus

Dunn has all the physical attributes of a mature bodied AFL footballer...just doesn't do enough...like miller never did enough....miller was only ever any good when we had neitz around.

Glad you brought up the big Neita - perfect example of how the game has changed and why Dunn is in the team. Over Neitz's 300 plus games he laid less than a tackle a game. Fantastic player and goal kicker but would have had to add another dimension to his game if he was to play now - defense. My only criticism of the big boy ( and dont get me wrong - most of the greats of the time - except Jason Dunstall) is letting the ball out of the forward line with way too much ease - different time - different game.

To me Chris Dawes is the new breed of forward - almost averaging two goals a game and ferocious defensively.

He's done a good job covering both Swan and Shaw at the same time!

Agree he's important as a defensive forward, but he's badly out of form and not finding the ball enough.

2010 Dunn would be nice to have back. If his drop in possession count is due to instructions, then the instructions are wrong.

You corrected me because I was wrong ! (glad I put the disclaimer in).

He certainly has a purple patch towards the end of the year which is what we should judge him for - if you compare his 18 games last year against his 4 this year - he is tracking about the same ( two less disposals but a slightly higher mark and goal rate). The interesting one is his tackle count is down so that does indicate that he is not going hard enough as he did last year.

Persisting with Dunn is persisting with mediocrity and we won't win a Premiership doing that.

Say hello Cameron Mooney - twice ! ( well actually thrice). Coaches see different things in players then obviously we do.