COMETH THE HOUR?

Demonland

COMETH THE HOUR? by the Pinkster

With so many regular faces missing from the Demons line up for today's NAB Challenge Cup match against Brisbane, one would have thought that somebody in the team would have stood up to be counted in a game against the team touted by all of the pundits as being the red hot favorite for this year's wooden spoon.

However, there was certainly no hero today and very few consistent performers in the very hour when places for the opening round team were definitely up for grabs.

Melbourne left out Brad Green, Colin Garland and Liam Jurrah from a selected squad that was already missing Clint Bartram, James Frawley, Jack Trengove, Cale Morton, Jordie McKenzie, Jack Grimes Austin Wonaeamirri and Aaron Davey from among its recognised best 18 to 22 players but the fans were given very little to enthuse about.

The Dees led by a narrow margin at the first break after kicking the opening two goals but the Lions took control halfway through the second term with a dominant midfield and a superior ability to hit targets. They moved progressively further away in what was really a scrappy lacklustre contest to win by a comfortable margin of 29 points.

Melbourne's performance on the day was no improvement on last week's effort against Essendon with many disposal errors being committed. There was very little spirit shown either, apart from a little bit of a to do after Rohan Bail brought down Simon Black with a solid but fair bump in the last quarter but by then the game was, to all intents and purposes, well over.

The Demons are still searching for a tall, strong key forward. Jack Watts remains a work in progress. He kicked a couple of goals but didn't really impose himself on the game and needs to be more consistent with his marking. Recruits Jeremy Howe and Lucas Cook were given some opportunity but both are a way off top grade. Howe is a high flyer who will bring excitement to the game but needs more strings to his bow than just strong marking and Cook's a raw talent who will make a mark in the future. Stef Martin was forward early and causing the Lions' defence some problems with an early goal but he also had a couple of misses and faded out.

The smaller forwards fared better. Neville Jetta and Maric were the two players who stood up for the Demons up forward, the former

also having a run down the ground and impressing with his strong tackling. He provided a great example of commitment and endeavour to his teammates by running down every Lions player in sight and looks a big improver. Maric kicked three goals and should be a more regular player at AFL level this year. Ricky Petterd returned to the scene after his long lay off with a shoulder injury and took some good grabs but sprayed a couple of shots at goal.

The midfield was again undermanned and was well beaten on the day with Daniel Rich, Simon Black and Luke Power dominating out of the middle. Nathan Jones has still to find his feet after sustaining a back injury in the last game of 2010. Tom Scully struggled for possessions in his first hit out after suffering from knee soreness and showed signs that he has been under some pressure lately. He'll have to get used to this and, because he's a true professional, I'm sure he'll see it through. Colin Sylvia and Brent Moloney were workmanlike but not outstanding and the latter is still too much inclined to bomb the ball long, often to a two on one contest. Jordan Gysberts wasn't under as much pressure as his fellow first round draftee from 2009 and showed some good signs in his first game at this level since sustaining an injury in midseason last year after a promising start to his career.

The undermanned defence was under sustained pressure for most of the day and struggled without the likes of Frawley, Garland and Bartram. Neither Jared Rivers nor Joel Macdonald had their best days and Jamie Bennell was a bit inconsistent down back.

The much awaited first appearance of Luke Tapscott was pleasing. He had eleven touches in defence in a busy first half and should see much more senior action in the future. Other new faces to show a little bit were Dan Nicholson, Michael Evans and Tom McDonald.

All in all, it was a bit of an embarrassment and sadly, very few players stood up when the hour came for a player to be counted.

Melbourne 4.2.26 6.4.40 9.5.58 12.6.78

Brisbane Lions 3.4.22 7.8.50 13.9.87 16.11.107

Goals

Melbourne Maric 3 Watts 2 Bate Dunn Jamar Jetta Martin Petterd Sylvia

Brisbane Lions Power 3 Beams Bewick Clark O'Brien Polkinghorne Rockliff 2 Lester

Best

Melbourne Jetta Sylvia Maric Jamar

Brisbane Lions Power Rich Clark Redden

Injuries

Melbourne Bennell (shoulder)

Brisbane Lions Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

Brisbane Lions Nil

Umpires R Findlay S Ryan G Fila

Crowd approx. 3,000 at Visy Park

Guest 36DD

I should have mentioned, a big welcome to the Pinkster on his first match report.

Pity we couldn't get a better result!

Nice one pinkster, please forward to the sports desk at the Herald Sun, though the sub editor will tweak it to have scully finding Folau on a number of occasions...

I digress, really rapt with Nev Jett, didn't think there were many tricks to his games wean he came across, even had his mate Bennell ahead of him, but now i reckon Nev Jett has gone past Bennell and he is a dead cert for round one. Easily our best mid today, tackle on the Jack Elliot stand wing was bone jarring.

Pinkster??? Howe do you get a name like that,,, or do you like Pork?

Maybe the Demonlander going under the moniker of Pink Freud? (a great play on words by the way)

Maybe the Demonlander going under the moniker of Pink Freud? (a great play on words by the way)

Well done Pinkster and I can't describe my disappointment at the outcome today. From what I've read about the game, our structures were aweful with the forwards outnumbered when we got the ball there and played a pretty poor style of game with too many wasted kicks including a few shockers that cost goals.

I'm overseas and woke in the middle of the night to catch the half time score. Things were pretty ordinary at that stage so I went back to sleep and by the time I woke up again, two or three dictators from the region I'm visiting had been deposed and we lost to Brisbane by 29 points.

I have no idea what the football department has been doing since that first night in Adelaide when we went direct down the corridor and looked for and found targets in front of goals. The past two games have seen some sloppy ball movement, players being ignored when they're in good position to move the ball to the team's advantage and those costly defensive errors.

I also wonder why the AFL has drawn Melbourne to play Hawthorn in Tasmania next week when we play them in round 2. I'd say almost certainly that Bailey will refuse to show his hand next week. We should rest at least half a dozen players and no doubt will play a few out of position. The result will again be meaningless although I hope that there will be a marked improvement in how the players tackle the game.

I've heard some good reports on Dan Nicholson's game today. Any thoughts?

Well done Pinkster and I can't describe my disappointment at the outcome today. From what I've read about the game, our structures were aweful with the forwards outnumbered when we got the ball there and played a pretty poor style of game with too many wasted kicks including a few shockers that cost goals.

I'm overseas and woke in the middle of the night to catch the half time score. Things were pretty ordinary at that stage so I went back to sleep and by the time I woke up again, two or three dictators from the region I'm visiting had been deposed and we lost to Brisbane by 29 points.

I have no idea what the football department has been doing since that first night in Adelaide when we went direct down the corridor and looked for and found targets in front of goals. The past two games have seen some sloppy ball movement, players being ignored when they're in good position to move the ball to the team's advantage and those costly defensive errors.

I also wonder why the AFL has drawn Melbourne to play Hawthorn in Tasmania next week when we play them in round 2. I'd say almost certainly that Bailey will refuse to show his hand next week. We should rest at least half a dozen players and no doubt will play a few out of position. The result will again be meaningless although I hope that there will be a marked improvement in how the players tackle the game.

WJ I thought Dan showed some good signs and so to Howe although I am hesitant to have an opinion here before I get howled down. Stand out of new boys - TAPSCOTT. He cramped up in last quarter but I would definitely like to see him play next week.

Beware of deposed dictators with ill gained deposits!

I don't think he had a great game - too many errors (eg; the dropped mark in the 2nd qtr).

Jetta and Maric must be dead certs for round 1. Jetta has upped his possession count and is one of the best 'chase and tackles' in the team. Maric is sneaking his 2-3 goals per match and is our leading small forward at the moment.

Tapscott and Howe will also get a run this year. I think they'll play Tapscott in as many games as possible, subject to fitness, 'cos they need his boot.

Strauss and Martin are not showing marked signs of improvement. They both look fitter, but that's all. I think both are out of contract at the end of this year. We got rid of Buckley who played last night for Collingwood and was in their best players. He showed pace out of the backline and hit targets. We could regret delisting him in 2009.

We are playing Bate in the wrong position. We park him up forward and hope he can do something with our long bombs. He's a better player when he runs forward from midfield - as in 2009. Dunn and Moloney also had quiet games but Bate needs to show us why he should be selected ahead of Dunn, Petterd, Maric and Tapscott.

One thing i learnt yesterday - torpedo punts are now called 'Barrels'. Good name.

Here was my take whispering and i think it is pretty fair:

It's been a long day but i was at Pratt Park today and have 2 cents to offer:

People who are bemoaning the skill level, lack of pressure, poor delivery, lack of structure or targets need to realise a few things. It is not just a case that we had 10 of our best 22 out of the team today. It was that the 10 players who were playing in their place were made up mostly of blokes who've never played AFL or have only played very few games. Many rave about the performances of Howe, Cook, Nicholson, Evans, McDonald and Nicholson however from a brutally honest perspective, none of them are yet up to it. They did some nice things but often fumbled under pressure, missed targets, didn't apply the required pressure and don't have big engines by AFL standards. All of these things can and will improve with time and training but all are reasons why we looked so bad.

In turn it puts pressure on the rest of the team because of the poor use of the ball.

Jetta was good playing on ball or high half forward. Maric was good also although still good go harder when it comes to the defensive aspects of the game.

Tapscott started like a house on fire. Played off half back and it was a deliberate ploy on a couple of occasions for him to do the Daniel Rich and run past the bloke who took the mark or had a free kick, receive the handball and pump it long. He has mongrel in him and gave a good account of himself. He kept cramping up in the second half which is to be expected in your first hitout of the year.

IF he stays fit he will definately play early in the season.

Gysberts also started reasonably well, not getting a tonne of the ball but laying tackles, spoils, quick handballs and making a contest. He seemed a couple fo yards short of a gallop and will improve with more matches- he did however appear to have a slight limp after the game. Don't know if that's how he walks or he had some minor ailment.

Scully was out of it today and looked rusty. Was beginning to come good in the last quarter and will be better for the run.

For the Jones baggers out there:

There was not a bloke out there for Melbourne who played with more intensity or fiercness at the contest. He stuffed a couple of kicks but given the amount of times he won hard balls, you are not going to hit targets all the time when under the pump. If you think we are bad at the stoppages or in the middle at the moment, take Jones and Moloney out of there and see how easily we are brushed aside then. FFS people, if you are going to comment at least have an understanding of the roles each player has and the reason they are in the team. I see nothing that would make me think he (or Moloney) will be out of our best 22 this year. There physical presence alone is an absolute must given the slight builds of most of our other midfielders.

Bate did look out of sorts. I was a big Bate supporter and still have faith in him but at the moment i don't believe he has found the position in which he can settle down into. I still think he is best suited to a deep forward role but with the players we have, spots are hotly contested at the moment.

Watts hit plenty of packs today and whilst the marks didn't stick, it was encouraging from that aspect. He is a sublime kick of the footy. Set shot or in play.

I will admit though that twice he should have extended his arms in the marking contest instead of the Neitz style flying chest mark but he will learn from that.

Strauss struggled to have any real impact in the backline and did have his thigh strapped after he was subbed off- Hammy or Quaddy but likely out for a couple.

Spencer is big. Spencer is still pitiful around the ground at the moment. I can easily see come Round 1 him not getting a game, instead having Martin as either the versatile player (although he has deficiencies) or the sub. The sub rule has killed blokes like Spencer.

Bail is a real goer and even though he misses the target every now and then, he gets the ball a lot, is hard at it, has dash and a bit of mongrel.

As the game wore on blokes like Dunn, Sylvia, Moloney seemed to go out of it and i have no doubt that was due to it being just a praccy match.

The reason we often lacked a target up forward was because we played a flooding full ground press styled of game but the drawback being when we generated the turnover the forwards couldn't get back quick enough to make good position to receive the next kick. With the better players coming back in that problem will be alleviated to a degree.

Jurrah and Wonna sat on the same side of the ground near the interchange area. Juice was by himself in another section spending more time talking to reasonable looking females than anything else. He is dead wood.

Nothing overall to get too concerned about given the cattle out and the young calves still finding their feet that were in today.

The only injury was Strauss (Bennell hurt his shoulder but came back on) so that is no great loss.

Bring on the Hawks or Dockers and then the real stuff.

Edit:

I forgot to mention Warnock, Rivers and MacDonald. All three did some good things but all three suffered from poor skill execution at various stages which directly resulted in goals. That is going to continue to be a bug bear with these three until we get a fit Frawley and Garland back and someone else steps up.

Here was my take whispering and i think it is pretty fair:

It's been a long day but i was at Pratt Park today and have 2 cents to offer:

People who are bemoaning the skill level, lack of pressure, poor delivery, lack of structure or targets need to realise a few things. It is not just a case that we had 10 of our best 22 out of the team today. It was that the 10 players who were playing in their place were made up mostly of blokes who've never played AFL or have only played very few games. Many rave about the performances of Howe, Cook, Nicholson, Evans, McDonald and Nicholson however from a brutally honest perspective, none of them are yet up to it. They did some nice things but often fumbled under pressure, missed targets, didn't apply the required pressure and don't have big engines by AFL standards. All of these things can and will improve with time and training but all are reasons why we looked so bad.

In turn it puts pressure on the rest of the team because of the poor use of the ball.

Jetta was good playing on ball or high half forward. Maric was good also although still good go harder when it comes to the defensive aspects of the game.

Tapscott started like a house on fire. Played off half back and it was a deliberate ploy on a couple of occasions for him to do the Daniel Rich and run past the bloke who took the mark or had a free kick, receive the handball and pump it long. He has mongrel in him and gave a good account of himself. He kept cramping up in the second half which is to be expected in your first hitout of the year.

IF he stays fit he will definately play early in the season.

Gysberts also started reasonably well, not getting a tonne of the ball but laying tackles, spoils, quick handballs and making a contest. He seemed a couple fo yards short of a gallop and will improve with more matches- he did however appear to have a slight limp after the game. Don't know if that's how he walks or he had some minor ailment.

Scully was out of it today and looked rusty. Was beginning to come good in the last quarter and will be better for the run.

For the Jones baggers out there:

There was not a bloke out there for Melbourne who played with more intensity or fiercness at the contest. He stuffed a couple of kicks but given the amount of times he won hard balls, you are not going to hit targets all the time when under the pump. If you think we are bad at the stoppages or in the middle at the moment, take Jones and Moloney out of there and see how easily we are brushed aside then. FFS people, if you are going to comment at least have an understanding of the roles each player has and the reason they are in the team. I see nothing that would make me think he (or Moloney) will be out of our best 22 this year. There physical presence alone is an absolute must given the slight builds of most of our other midfielders.

Bate did look out of sorts. I was a big Bate supporter and still have faith in him but at the moment i don't believe he has found the position in which he can settle down into. I still think he is best suited to a deep forward role but with the players we have, spots are hotly contested at the moment.

Watts hit plenty of packs today and whilst the marks didn't stick, it was encouraging from that aspect. He is a sublime kick of the footy. Set shot or in play.

I will admit though that twice he should have extended his arms in the marking contest instead of the Neitz style flying chest mark but he will learn from that.

Strauss struggled to have any real impact in the backline and did have his thigh strapped after he was subbed off- Hammy or Quaddy but likely out for a couple.

Spencer is big. Spencer is still pitiful around the ground at the moment. I can easily see come Round 1 him not getting a game, instead having Martin as either the versatile player (although he has deficiencies) or the sub. The sub rule has killed blokes like Spencer.

Bail is a real goer and even though he misses the target every now and then, he gets the ball a lot, is hard at it, has dash and a bit of mongrel.

As the game wore on blokes like Dunn, Sylvia, Moloney seemed to go out of it and i have no doubt that was due to it being just a praccy match.

The reason we often lacked a target up forward was because we played a flooding full ground press styled of game but the drawback being when we generated the turnover the forwards couldn't get back quick enough to make good position to receive the next kick. With the better players coming back in that problem will be alleviated to a degree.

Jurrah and Wonna sat on the same side of the ground near the interchange area. Juice was by himself in another section spending more time talking to reasonable looking females than anything else. He is dead wood.

Nothing overall to get too concerned about given the cattle out and the young calves still finding their feet that were in today.

The only injury was Strauss (Bennell hurt his shoulder but came back on) so that is no great loss.

Bring on the Hawks or Dockers and then the real stuff.

Edit:

I forgot to mention Warnock, Rivers and MacDonald. All three did some good things but all three suffered from poor skill execution at various stages which directly resulted in goals. That is going to continue to be a bug bear with these three until we get a fit Frawley and Garland back and someone else steps up.

Spot on!

I do think Howe showed something special and can imagine him getting the odd game later this year. Cook also.

Best game I have seen Jetta play.

Still not convinced about Maric.

So good to see Petterd back.

Neville Jetta is showing good development this pre-season, and was good again yesterday. Ditto the A Maric. Jeremy Howe showed something, I thought. We've seen the hanger-thon in his highlight reel - and he had a go at adding to it yesterday - but I liked his work at ground level. He was quick, generally clean and used it well. Admittedly, he didn't exactly get leather poisoning, but I liked what he did, and looked like he has upside as a mobile forward with good aerial skills.

Also good to see Ricky Petterd back in good form - a very useful player for us if he can get an injury-free run.