Grand Final Draws

titan_uranus

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People may go down yes, but a team should be allowed to bring in replacements.

If it was Melbourne in that position you would be screaming Blue Murder.

It's a rule we have all known, and just because it has now been used is no reason to change it.

Enough questionable rules have been tampered with in this game over the las 15-20 years, lets not have another one please.

Fair enough..

Yeah i see positives and negatives for both options..

So i suppose when i hear my self saying that, maybe keeping it would be the best choice.

My only worry is in the future if it happens for an interstate team in the final, unless the AFL pays for them to stay in Melbourne for the week?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough..

Yeah i see positives and negatives for both options..

So i suppose when i hear my self saying that, maybe keeping it would be the best choice.

My only worry is in the future if it happens for an interstate team in the final, unless the AFL pays for them to stay in Melbourne for the week?

Having gone to the 2004, 2005 & 2006 Grand Finals i really don't think it would make much difference.

If 2 teams play a draw it means it going to be a cracker. Right now its Half Time-Scores are level. Enjoy the moment, don't change it. B)

could allow the 3 emergencies to be used?

15 min recouperation break enough time to get the kit on

That is a possibility if extra time is voted in, and the only way i could even start to remotely support it!!!

Teams must be able to put people on the bench to rotate.

That is a possibility if extra time is voted in, and the only way i could even start to remotely support it!!!

Teams must be able to put people on the bench to rotate.

I don't personally mind either way, just so long as there is no shootout rubbish

Wouldn't even be too fussed if it was dual premiers. They do it for Brownlow

My main reason with being disappointed with the 1977 GF replay was that it was not played to the standard of what was expected for a GF. Both teams were more or less knackered from the week before and lacked intensity. It was just a matter of who was going to wilt first. Everyone raves about Phil Manassa's famous run but IMO the reason he got away with it was due to the lack of pressure and intensity around the ground. He just basically strolled around the members wing with no North opponent chasing hard. By then North already had a comfortable winning lead. It was kind of a loose game and not fit for a GF.

I would be glad to see emergencies played, perhaps up to four of them for each team if extra time was adopted.

Edited by america de cali

My main reason with being disappointed with the 1977 GF replay was that it was not played to the standard of what was expected for a GF. Both teams were more or less knackered from the week before and lacked intensity. Everyone raves about Phil Manassa's famous run but IMO the reason he got away with it was due to the lack of pressure and intensity around the ground. He just basically strolled around the members wing with no North opponent near him. By then North already had a comfortable winning lead. It was kind of a loose game and not fit for a GF.

I would be glad to see emergencies played, perhaps up to four of them for each team if extra time was adopted.

I would have said the same about the intensity from the 88 and 2000 Grand Finals myself sadly. I must try and find a DVD of that 77 replay game to watch it again, i think i have only watched it on the day.

If Extra Time is bought in from this year onwards...how is the emergency Bench scenario worked out??? Can of worms there.

I can see the arguement, but i still say Australian Football is too brutal. Someone could seriously die in that 10 minutes, Addrenalin would be through the roof.

Thats why i say just leave it alone, if it happens once every 30 odd years so be it.

I would have said the same about the intensity from the 88 and 2000 Grand Finals myself sadly. I must try and find a DVD of that 77 replay game to watch it again, i think i have only watched it on the day.

If Extra Time is bought in from this year onwards...how is the emergency Bench scenario worked out??? Can of worms there.

I can see the arguement, but i still say Australian Football is too brutal. Someone could seriously die in that 10 minutes, Addrenalin would be through the roof.

Thats why i say just leave it alone, if it happens once every 30 odd years so be it.

What happened in 88 and 2000 was that we were outclassed and really had no chance. Hawthorn and Essendon played like true premiers. I was at 88 and the power of Hawthorn was awesome. When one side is not up to it then the inevitable blowout occurs. We are talking about two evenly matched teams here.

Should be straight forward for the emergencies. Have the emergencies kitted up and doing their preparations during the game. The coaches can have a few minutes to address the players and make the required changes.

I'm dead against the notion of extra time. Our game is tough ... and it's never tougher than it was at 5.30 on Saturday, for the players or the fans. Our game is utterly uncompromising ... and extra time is a compromise. Keep the replay!

The only other sport I can think of that has anything remotely similar is, oddly enough, golf: some championships have an immediate tie-breaker, but others have the tied players come back the next day and do a full 18 holes. And when Rocco Mediate matched Tiger Woods for the entire 18 hole playoff at the 2008 U.S. Open, it was epic in a way that no 1 or 2 or 3 hole playoff could ever be. (Tiger eventually got him on the 19th hole on the Monday.)

Can anybody think of other examples of 'replays' in other sports? I don't think there's many ...

I honestly can't believe the results of the poll. I was dead set certain it would be in favour of extra time. Interesting.

How would a replay work if one of the teams was from interstate? Already at a disadvantage, they'd be put even further back.

I can't recall any finals game (other than GF) being a drawn game

Anyone remember differently?

2007 - Semi Final between West Coast and Collingwood. Tied at the end of the fourth quarter, extra time was played. Collingwood won.

As recently as 1990 there was a drawn 'regular' final, which was again between the Eagles and Pies, but it was replayed the following week. So we've been able to change the rule regarding non-GF finals. Sooner or later the GF should be brought into line.

Can anybody think of other examples of 'replays' in other sports? I don't think there's many ...

Gaelic football apparently has a replay.

2007 - Semi Final between West Coast and Collingwood. Tied at the end of the fourth quarter, extra time was played. Collingwood won.

As recently as 1990 there was a drawn 'regular' final, which was again between the Eagles and Pies, but it was replayed the following week. So we've been able to change the rule regarding non-GF finals. Sooner or later the GF should be brought into line.

see post #17 - there have been 5 non-GF finals draws

I honestly can't believe the results of the poll. I was dead set certain it would be in favour of extra time. Interesting.

How would a replay work if one of the teams was from interstate? Already at a disadvantage, they'd be put even further back.

Well there ya go....many of us respect the unique quality it represents to the game.

Maybe the Interstaters would.....just stay here !! or not..who cares. They will work something out.

Its not like this happens all the time..it is ..part of the game. It might provide serious impetus, youd think...to win the bloody thing !!

What's the Big Deal with the interstate Clubs & a replayed GF??

The AFL make a packet so i am sure they could put a team up for a few nights in comfort at a 5 star. Hardly a solid reason to change a rule that has stood for 120 years.

Modern Society has no patience anymore do they-That's more to the point. Too Many Energy Drinks and party biscuits these days...Just enjoy GF Part 2, it will be a beauty B)

Edited by why you little

The AFL make a packet so i am sure they could put a team up for a few nights in comfort at a 5 star. Hardly a solid reason to change a rule that has stood for 120 years.

Modern Society has no patience anymore do they-That's more to the point. Too Many Energy Drinks and party biscuits these days...Just enjoy GF Part 2, it will be a beauty B)

couldnt agree more.. all about instant gratifications etc.

I just see it as half time in the GF

though I do agree in a way with Maxwell... there ought to have been a result..... Collingwood loss by one point would have done nicely....would that have made the idiot happy I wonder ?? :rolleyes:

Its not like this happens all the time..it is ..part of the game. It might provide serious impetus, youd think...to win the bloody thing !!

Right...so if there was extra time, neither side would want to win?

That can't just happen at the click of the fingers. Plus would spending a week away from home be the ideal preparation for a Grand Final? I'll answer that: no it wouldn't, and if you were a supporter of an interstate side you'd want the best preparation possible. Having Fremantle or Brisbane preparing for a GF away from their home base, and their families, just isn't ideal. Nor is it fair.

That can't just happen at the click of the fingers. Plus would spending a week away from home be the ideal preparation for a Grand Final? I'll answer that: no it wouldn't, and if you were a supporter of an interstate side you'd want the best preparation possible. Having Fremantle or Brisbane preparing for a GF away from their home base, and their families, just isn't ideal. Nor is it fair.

A 3 hour Flight on Business Class won't kill anyone...Cripes the Australian Cricket Team used to sail to England which would take around 6 weeks.

Modern Society wants instant gratification these days. I am really enjoying this week. The unknown still exists.

I know where ya coming from.... but in all reality...if at the end of normal time..and its a draw..thats what i want as the result. I appreciate this is part of the game.

What i think they might want to consider is showing a live clock....hten EVERYONE knows that time's a running out. Ought to make for some real liveliness.

Your premise is slightly flawed.. of course every team wants to win... but they ought to from the moment the first whistle of the day is blown.

Extra time for me.

The build up of Grand Final Week is huge now. For it to happen then not get a result is just disappointing..

Agree it would suck if it was an interstate team battling it out. Must fix now in case it does happen in the future...

10 minute quarter! Let em go at it and get a result!

As people have said it hardly ever happens, BUT when it DOES happen in the future it should be decided with extra time!

NO, an extra time situation or a shootout just Does Not do the game justice. It just cheapens it, IMO.

I think the fact that this GF is/will be 'The Peoples GF, & 40,000 tickets sold out in 40 minutes suggests to me that this game is very popular, the replayed GF.

So,,,, If it is between 2 interstate teams or just one interstate side,,, the answer in the future I think, with the growing No's in the competition, then one day we will have a best of 3GF's.

Just like the NRL "State of Origin",,,,,, with the first Final to be played @ Sydney,,, Then 'MCG',,,, then say the 3rd in Perth.

This would cover those 'draw' situations, but also cover many more supporters who currently can't get a ticket or can't afford a ticket. It also takes our game to all AFL supporters across the country.

A lot of interesting thoughts. But I still think extra time is the solution. The players who gave it their all in the GF deserve better than to do it all again. But I'd prefer first goal wins it with no time limit. And behinds don't count. I'd hate to see a mad scrambles to rush a behind at every forward thrust .

Spot On...we didn't pinch the GF. The MFC won it fair and square & easily a week later.

My Dad would have been there.

The Essendon FF in the first GF kicked something like 1 Goal 13 out of Essendons 7. 27. for the match and the story goes that he never really recovered from it.

Go Demons. B)