armstrong35

B: Colin Garland, Jared Rivers, Clint Bartram

HB: Jordie McKenzie, James Frawley, Cameron Bruce

C: Jamie Bennell, Nathan Jones, Brad Green

HF: Lynden Dunn, Jack Watts, Tom Scully

F: Colin Sylvia, Matthew Bate, Liam Jurrah

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Brent Moloney, Aaron Davey

I/C: Joel Macdonald, Paul Johnson, Rohan Bail, Cale Morton

Pretty good team IMO - only Grimes, Trengove, Junior, Gysberts, Petterd missing from our best 22. I wonder how we'd fit em all in if everyone was fit?

As I and others have mentioned, we are headed to having a large (in number), quality mid-field. We may well end up trading 1 or 2; much as how Moloney came to us from the cats (for a 1st round draft pick I think as well).

Interesting times ahead.

Pretty good team IMO - only Grimes, Trengove, Junior, Gysberts, Petterd missing from our best 22. I wonder how we'd fit em all in if everyone was fit?

Agree, we're close to full strength at the moment.

Gysberts IMO isn't best 22.

To get the others in, Johnson, MacDonald and two of Jones, Bartram or Bennell could make way to fit Grimes, Trengove, Petterd and McDonald.

To get the others in, Johnson, MacDonald and two of Jones, Bartram or Bennell could make way to fit Grimes, Trengove, Petterd and McDonald.

I don't understand why Jones is one of few touted as a player to "give way"!! He is 22 years old and imperative to our in-and-under play!!! He's a tough nut and we need those type of players at Melbourne as we only have himself and Moloney and perhaps McKenzie as those types of players!

I don't understand why Jones is one of few touted as a player to "give way"!! He is 22 years old and imperative to our in-and-under play!!! He's a tough nut and we need those type of players at Melbourne as we only have himself and Moloney and perhaps McKenzie as those types of players!

I thought I was the only one

I wouldn't be trading away any of our midfielders.

Jones (and Beamer) are integral to adding size and grunt and clearances to the midfield. They are there to nurture and guide the other youngsters. People have to remember that in todays day and age of high rotations, you need about 10 to 12 players capable of rotating through the midfield in every game. We need to be able to win the ball out of the guts and you can't do that consistently with 3 blokes all weighing 80kg in there. Jones is safely in our best 22.

I wouldn't be trading away any of our midfielders.

Jones (and Beamer) are integral to adding size and grunt and clearances to the midfield. They are there to nurture and guide the other youngsters. People have to remember that in todays day and age of high rotations, you need about 10 to 12 players capable of rotating through the midfield in every game. We need to be able to win the ball out of the guts and you can't do that consistently with 3 blokes all weighing 80kg in there. Jones is safely in our best 22.

Eeeexactly. Concur 100% with all of what you said. It's ludicrous to say otherwise. Ludicrous.

Right now Jones is required for the very reasons you mention. He has his critics because he's a player of limited ability. If we're a genuine cance for a flag in 2015 I don't see Jones in our best 22. He doesn't have the elite reflexes, or decision making of the very best mids. How often have you seen Jones carrying 3 or 4 of the opposition mids on his back ? There's a reason that Scully and Trengove, or the best midfielders at other clubs don't evoke those same visions. They're adept at getting a quick and clean disposal to a player in a better position and they can do this under extreme pressure. Jones simply doesn't have the class to dispose in the same manner.

We better hope that when we're genuinely challenging that Jones is on the periphery, because the same pressure that exposes him now goes up 3 notches in finals.

Right now Jones is required for the very reasons you mention. He has his critics because he's a player of limited ability. If we're a genuine cance for a flag in 2015 I don't see Jones in our best 22. He doesn't have the elite reflexes, or decision making of the very best mids. How often have you seen Jones carrying 3 or 4 of the opposition mids on his back ? There's a reason that Scully and Trengove, or the best midfielders at other clubs don't evoke those same visions. They're adept at getting a quick and clean disposal to a player in a better position and they can do this under extreme pressure. Jones simply doesn't have the class to dispose in the same manner.

We better hope that when we're genuinely challenging that Jones is on the periphery, because the same pressure that exposes him now goes up 3 notches in finals.

He. is. 22. years. old!!! It's a hell of a lot different going in for the ball than playing on the outer aka G Ablett, D. Thomas (who has improved), Judd et al.

Anyway... he is 22 years of age and has ample room for improvement! You need those rugged players and when he grabs the ball he can run and split the pack open as he did in the last qtr of the Queen's B'day match where he was on FIRE!

Of course, there is plenty of room for improvement for Jonesy but, at 22 years old, he has plenty of time to fine-tune his skills and be an integral part in Melbourne't next tilt at the premiership. He'll be there.

He. is. 22. years. old!!! It's a hell of a lot different going in for the ball than playing on the outer aka G Ablett, D. Thomas (who has improved), Judd et al.

Anyway... he is 22 years of age and has ample room for improvement! You need those rugged players and when he grabs the ball he can run and split the pack open as he did in the last qtr of the Queen's B'day match where he was on FIRE!

Of course, there is plenty of room for improvement for Jonesy but, at 22 years old, he has plenty of time to fine-tune his skills and be an integral part in Melbourne't next tilt at the premiership. He'll be there.

Have to agree with Hannibal. Jones has the body of an inside player but is naturally outside but does not have the skills to match. A midfielder at 22 (as long as they show work ethic) should not have much to improve on development wise aside from consistency in their game. They dont suddenly wake up with better skills, athleticism and decision making. Jones fits a need at the momemnt but I expect him to get overtaken as other players develop. If does prove me wrong good luck to him.

Separate point, if you think that Ablett and Judd are outside then I dont know what game you watch.

Have to agree with Hannibal. Jones has the body of an inside player but is naturally outside but does not have the skills to match. A midfielder at 22 (as long as they show work ethic) should not have much to improve on development wise aside from consistency in their game. They dont suddenly wake up with better skills, athleticism and decision making. Jones fits a need at the momemnt but I expect him to get overtaken as other players develop. If does prove me wrong good luck to him.

Separate point, if you think that Ablett and Judd are outside then I dont know what game you watch.

Considering that he'll be 26 in the year I expect us to win the flag (2014) he'll be at his peak - he has plenty of time to improve. If he gets overtaken I think that will definitely say something about the quality of our midfield.

I accept your point Hannabal. Yes when we are genuinely challenging he may have been overtaken by a few and may be on the periphery, but i still see no reason for trading or getting rid of him. You still need the grunt players with the big bodies. He should still improve and be in the mix.

Scully has all the hallmarks of being a great of the MFC. However Hannabal, i would disagree with you when you say he can hit a team-mate under the pump. This is perhaps his biggest flaw at the moment. In no way does that mean that i do not think he will be great or rate him highly, just merely pointing out that every player has flaws. It is what they bring as a collective unit that will determine how far they go!

Assuming Junior retires at the end of the year, this might be our best 22 for our first crack at top 4:

B: Colin Garland, Jared Rivers, Jack Grimes

HB: Jordie McKenzie, James Frawley, Cameron Bruce

C: Jack Trengove, Nathan Jones, Brad Green

HF: Ricky Petterd, Jack Watts, Tom Scully

F: Colin Sylvia, Matthew Bate, Liam Jurrah

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Brent Moloney, Aaron Davey

I/C: Jordan Gysberts, Lynden Dunn, Rohan Bail, Cale Morton

This team has one ruckman so it would depend who we're playing / if Jamar can ruck all day etc..

Jamie Bennell, Joel Macdonald, Clint Bartram, Paul Johnson, Neville Jetta

Come in for injuries & matchups

Ablett is a receiver of the ball - always outside the packs. Don't tell me he goes in hard for the ball and is always under the packs ala Jones!!

But that's beside the point. I agree with the "best 22 team" above. 100%

Agreed, I see Jones as a possible back pocket looking forward, or 'Run with player'.

Agreed, I see Jones as a possible back pocket looking forward, or 'Run with player'.

I think the club might as well, he's played that role a few times and he's not too bad at it he can stop a player and also get a bit of it himself.

From what I see of him in the middle he just does everything the hard way, he never seems to take the path of least resistance. I've never seen a player run himself in to trouble as much as he does.

I've never seen a player run himself in to trouble as much as he does.

This is true. Gets caught with the ball far too often. That's my only qualm with Jonesy. He should be able to break the lines a lot better but he is improving on it since a couple of years back!

I agree that Jones' potential may be less than some of our other mids so good move by the club to develop him as a tagger over the last few weeks. Given his strength, intensity and persistence he could become very effective in this role.

Ablett is a receiver of the ball - always outside the packs. Don't tell me he goes in hard for the ball and is always under the packs ala Jones!!

Let me be the one to tell you he gets plenty of his own ball. No, he isn't under the packs often, because he gets the ball and does something with it.

What's with the Ablett (and Judd) put downs. They are absolute guns. Jones isn't in the same chapter, let alone the same page.

And no one is suggesting Jones be traded. I was merely suggesting we may end up with plenty of quality mids, with not enough room for all. Those not getting a regular game may want to be traded. I'd love to keep them all, but that may not be possible. Remember, Truscott looks the goods (with the Jones/Moloney body type), and Blease is beginning to show a bit. Add them to the earlier list.

There again, we may have a few with career ending injuries; then we will be looking good.