Jurrah set to return!

Carn dees

Jurrah: First game back and very limited opportunities.

Wona: Was the only Melbourne listed player actually having a go, Remember long lay off aswell.

Maric: Rarely sighted, I really love this kid but when Addam when ??

Strauss: Terrible day, Hardly touched it delivery was there. First real season of senior footy.

PJ: Will be reported and will get weeks, Career all but over for a guy who has been in the system for 7 years.

Bell: Had fair dinkum crack but poor Belly reminded me of a broken horse.

Fitzy: Debut, Did a couple of nice things. Can't expect much ATM.

Bennell: Shone early but when the pressure was on he was nowhere to be found. Have to keep in mind has only played 20-25 games but still disappointing.

Cheney: If he was rated in the best, Maybe his last 8 weeks haven't been all that good. Was totally outplayed allday.

In a nutshell every single MFC listed player was beaten by their opponent.

Edited by Steamin Demon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ease up, just like the poster giving their opinion i am giving mine, think it is harsh. Its fine that he played like that i dont want to be told he played well if he didnt, but thought some slack might be offered in light of his comeback game.

Relax.

People weren't asked how well they think he should play given his injury circumstances, just how well he did play.

Next time I'll spoon feed people.

I saw that passage of play too, but I saw it as Jack arriving to the contest a moment too late and taking the option to not hit the player who had already secured the mark late and give away a 50m penalty in front of goal.

You saw it wrong. He didn't contest and he needed to. No doubt he's been told during his review with the coaches.

Strauss: he's soft. Great kick, but he won't make it.

Interested to know your thoughts on why Strauss can't improve on some aspects in order to "make it".

Or is it that simple ? Strauss simply doesn't have what it takes, so let's rule a line through him now, in your opinion ?

In my opinion, I agree that he does have a good kick on him and he has good speed. I think he can improve on certain aspects of his game and gain confidence in getting the ball more often, being more accountable to he's opponent, knowing when to assist a teammate(s) down back, as well as being stronger over the ball. He missed a portion of footy last year through injury, I think he's still finding he's feet. How long will it take ? I'm not confucious. But, I'd like to think he'll be ready to step up and grab a spot in 2011 in his third season.

Interested to know your thoughts on why Strauss can't improve on some aspects in order to "make it".

Or is it that simple ? Strauss simply doesn't have what it takes, so let's rule a line through him now, in your opinion ?

In my opinion, I agree that he does have a good kick on him and he has good speed. I think he can improve on certain aspects of his game and gain confidence in getting the ball more often, as well as being stronger over the ball. He missed a portion of footy last year through injury, I think he's still finding he's feet. How long will it take ? I'm not confucious. But, I'd like to think he'll be ready to step up and grab a spot in 2011 in his third season.

A young leading midfielder at another club told my Brother that he didn't rate Strauss. This was just after we drafted Strauss and Blease. They played Vic Metro with each other and Strauss was the captain of Scotch. It was mentioned that he's "soft". Since then I've watched Strauss reasonably closely. I can't say that I disagree with the assessment.

Like Watts, maybe he needs to take up a non contact sport.

A young leading midfielder at another club told my Brother that he didn't rate Strauss. This was just after we drafted Strauss and Blease. They played Vic Metro with each other and Strauss was the captain of Scotch. It was mentioned that he's "soft". Since then I've watched Strauss reasonably closely. I can't say that I disagree with the assessment.

Like Watts, maybe he needs to take up a non contact sport.

Unleash H.

Yeah, look, all your appraisals from this thread have been harsh, but I must say i think they've been fair also.

As much as I wish I didn't, I agree on pretty much all points.

I have an underlying feeling in the pit of my stomach Strauss won't make it in spite of his great skills because he is not hard enough.

I wonder, what was Lindsay gilbee like at the same age?

I've had a bad feeling about him since I first met him at a club function shortly after his drafting and he seemed scared to shake my hand. So timid. Still can't shake that feeling he gave me.

I feel like I've been living in denial over him ever since, desperately hoping he still makes it.

Spencer, regrettably I agree.

Same with Cheney.

Aussie needs to trim down, Jurrah may be coming back from injury but his effort wasn't there.

Bennell needs to make a spot his own and gets pushed off the ball too easily.

Edited by Enforcer25

With the advent of the new teams and their raiding of the drafts, guys like Strauss may get longer to show their wares than usual

I fear all that means is that we won't die wondering what may have been if we gave him more time.

Hope I'm wrong.

I know it's only a little thing, but I wish I had've seen him get on board for the boxing weekend.

Just to show he really wants to get amongst it, for my own peace of mind.

I fear all that means is that we won't die wondering what may have been if we gave him more time.

That may be the case, but at least we'll know for sure. It also means we have more time to help develop his game.

Hope I'm wrong.

I know it's only a little thing, but I wish I had've seen him get on board for the boxing weekend.

Just to show he really wants to get amongst it, for my own peace of mind.

There's no way he was given the choice of going or not. He would've had a compulsory recovery program to complete between VFL matches.

There was no AFL game at the weekend, so no opporumity to tear poor ol Cam Bruce apart on the board.......but wait there was a VFL game and there is Strauss.......let's do just like we did with Chip Frawley a couple of years ago...see how right we were...........Strauss has been in Brad Gotch's best for the last few weeks......and he has one bad game, Gotch acknowledges this in his review and possible reasons why..........but let's not let facts get in the way...

There was no AFL game at the weekend, so no opporumity to tear poor ol Cam Bruce apart on the board.......but wait there was a VFL game and there is Strauss.......let's do just like we did with Chip Frawley a couple of years ago...see how right we were...........Strauss has been in Brad Gotch's best for the last few weeks......and he has one bad game, Gotch acknowledges this in his review and possible reasons why..........but let's not let facts get in the way...

Not all posters like fawning over their team's players just because they play for the club that one supports. Some supporters like to be somewhat dispassionate and call it as they see it.

I hope Strauss makes it and he certainly has the ability to do so. To date, he hasn't shown me that he has the physicality or yearning for the contest to be an AFL player. If he's able to successfully address this aspect of his game then he'll become a good AFL player because he has the skill sets to do so.

Watts is in the same boat. Yes, he hasn't had a full preseaon in two years, but he also doesn't like physical contact, in fact, he tries to avoid it. This is why he plays from behind and loses his feet too easily. Watts has immense ability, but unless he starts changing the makeup of his game he'll only become a good AFL player, not a great one. Due to his height, marking ability, etc, I at worst see him as becoming a decent AFL footballer.

Perhaps he would have made a better basketballer.

Edited by Hannabal

Jurrah: played his opponent from behind and didn't work hard enough.

Aussie: has an ar$e the size of a poisoned pup.

Cheney: solid, but is on borrowed time. Not enough dash.

Fitzpatrick: showed pace for such a tall. Didn't contest a mark in the last where a Willi kid ran the wrong way with the flight and marked with no Casey player making body contact. Fitzy had a look and turned his toes up.

Bell: tries. The less said the better.

Strauss: he's soft. Great kick, but he won't make it.

Bennell: needs to find a position. Has class, but needs more strength.

PJ: pass.

Spencer: just won't be skilled enough to make a competent AFL ruckman.

I doubt I've ever seen a side fumble more. Just got back from my boy's under 10's match and they were cleaner in slippery conditions. I'm not exaggerating.

Fair dinkum.....nice observations from a group that got a 20 goal hiding. Were you expecting glowing reports on the players, hardly!!! If half this lot had of performed then a 20 goal loss would not have happened. But as a group, which the majority of these boys are currently at Casey, before last weekend they were 8-1 so pull it back a bit please.

Strauss - Soft? Ok could be some truth in that but this can change. Brad Green was soft at the contest IMO early on but his last 4 years have seen him transform this area of his game. But you cannot have been watching him that close with a comment like that as you obviously didn't see any of his work the previous four weeks and to say he won't make it......way over the top!!!

Fitzy - a big beanpole that can look awkward and was his FIRST GAME at casey and you stick it to him, harshly. No word on the great goal he kicked and he did show some signs in the first half. Hope he doesn't come out and kick 5 in a fortnight or you might be calling him the next Carey putting in context how bad a sting you give after one game!!

Even big Spence......ruckman take time and he still has time, Sam Jacobs at Carlton is a good one for Spence to watch and learn from. Meesen and Johnson are likely to go so I would expect that the Dees will give Spence that bit more time yet as Gawn and Fitpatrick are a year in.

Maybe if these boyswere in a team sitting 2-8 rather than 8-2 there would be a bit more evidence of these attacks on Strauss and Fitzy....it was a shocking performance by the entire team, hopefully one of few and they return to the football where they win the close ones and were gutsy in getting these results, results that Strauss has played a big part in.

Seriously!! :(

Edited by Demon Jack 16

If half this lot had of performed then a 20 goal loss would not have happened.

If they'd won by 5 goals I'd make the same observations. Have you heard of 'calling it as you see it' ?

You and others are welcome to spend your lives making excuses for players and I'll critique what I see - good, bad, or indifferent.

There's no need for me to outline any of the reasons why a player may have performed in a particular way, such as coming back from injury, lack of preseason, first year player, etc, as I've got 95% of forum members that do little else.

If they'd won by 5 goals I'd make the same observations. Have you heard of 'calling it as you see it' ?

You and others are welcome to spend your lives making excuses for players and I'll critique what I see - good, bad, or indifferent.

There's no need for me to outline any of the reasons why a player may have performed in a particular way, such as coming back from injury, lack of preseason, first year player, etc, as I've got 95% of forum members that do little else.

Not factoring in the circumstances around a player's performance is called "an uneducated opinion".

Well I must have missed your observations regarding the 9 previous games and these players involvements in those results.

Calling it as you see it is one thing, outlandish future predictions are narrow minded IMO especially when you use one game as the entire basis for your argument or even worse a 'mates' observation.

Call me one eyed, call me biased.....call me crazy but one game a career does not make.

Not all posters like fawning over their team's players just because they play for the club that one supports. Some supporters like to be somewhat dispassionate and call it as they see it.

I hope Strauss makes it and he certainly has the ability to do so. To date, he hasn't shown me that he has the physicality or yearning for the contest to be an AFL player. If he's able to successfully address this aspect of his game then he'll become a good AFL player because he has the skill sets to do so.

Watts is in the same boat. Yes, he hasn't had a full preseaon in two years, but he also doesn't like physical contact, in fact, he tries to avoid it. This is why he plays from behind and loses his feet too easily. Watts has immense ability, but unless he starts changing the makeup of his game he'll only become a good AFL player, not a great one. Due to his height, marking ability, etc, I at worst see him as becoming a decent AFL footballer.

Perhaps he would have made a better basketballer.

I assume from your insistence on the physicality of the players that you are approximately (using the old money) 6ft 6, and 17 stone, you can run 14km in two hours, crashing into the same size bodies, falling on rock hard grounds, having people fall on you, and not feel sore slightly afterwards and maybe have a couple of lingering niggles the next week..........and of course be 18 or 19.....I do not for one fawn over players, but I also understand what it takes and how long to consistently perform at an acceptable level in the AFL and VFL, one of Melbourne's most consistent players has been doing it for ten years........maybe when Mr Watts and Mr Strauss have been doing it for the same period of time they will be conistent.......my opinion Watts will be a superstar, but in a couple of years and Strauss will be a great rebounding defender in a couple of years....I can wait, and not meter out unwarranted criticism

There's no way he was given the choice of going or not. He would've had a compulsory recovery program to complete between VFL matches.

If you look at Jones' trip diary he does mention recovery work being done. Quite a few of the guys had played before going, so it shouldn't have been an issue.

If you look at Jones' trip diary he does mention recovery work being done. Quite a few of the guys had played before going, so it shouldn't have been an issue.

Nobody else on the trip had played the week before and was playing the week after.

Either way, if anyone is seriously suggesting James Strauss was invited on the camp and begged off because he's soft and didn't want to be punched or anything remotely like that, then there's probably no reasoning with you anyway.

Nobody else on the trip had played the week before and was playing the week after.

Did Fitzpatrick miss the week before? Gotch mentioned something about a shoulder injury, but I haven't been keeping track too closely so I really aren't sure whether he played that match or not.

Fair dinkum.....nice observations from a group that got a 20 goal hiding. Were you expecting glowing reports on the players, hardly!!! If half this lot had of performed then a 20 goal loss would not have happened. But as a group, which the majority of these boys are currently at Casey, before last weekend they were 8-1 so pull it back a bit please.

Strauss - Soft? Ok could be some truth in that but this can change. Brad Green was soft at the contest IMO early on but his last 4 years have seen him transform this area of his game. But you cannot have been watching him that close with a comment like that as you obviously didn't see any of his work the previous four weeks and to say he won't make it......way over the top!!!

Fitzy - a big beanpole that can look awkward and was his FIRST GAME at casey and you stick it to him, harshly. No word on the great goal he kicked and he did show some signs in the first half. Hope he doesn't come out and kick 5 in a fortnight or you might be calling him the next Carey putting in context how bad a sting you give after one game!!

Even big Spence......ruckman take time and he still has time, Sam Jacobs at Carlton is a good one for Spence to watch and learn from. Meesen and Johnson are likely to go so I would expect that the Dees will give Spence that bit more time yet as Gawn and Fitpatrick are a year in.

Maybe if these boyswere in a team sitting 2-8 rather than 8-2 there would be a bit more evidence of these attacks on Strauss and Fitzy....it was a shocking performance by the entire team, hopefully one of few and they return to the football where they win the close ones and were gutsy in getting these results, results that Strauss has played a big part in.

Seriously!! :(

Thankyou Demon Jack 16 for restoring some sanity and perspective into this thread. Lets not forget that a lot of these players are still teenagers playing in a team that before the weekend were 8-1, and I didn't hear to many people saying Strauss wasn't going to make it then?

Lets just take a breath people, if they put that type of performance in for the next few weeks then maybe there's some questions to be asked.

Young players will be inconsistent, all we need is time and patience people!

Did Fitzpatrick miss the week before? Gotch mentioned something about a shoulder injury, but I haven't been keeping track too closely so I really aren't sure whether he played that match or not.

Fitzy played in the Casey 2s.