Matthew Bate

Sorry, Liam Jurrah was the best forward on the ground by quite some distance.

This is a bumped thread.

That comment was from May - against the Bulldogs.

Bate can go missing in games - Dunn has gone missing for entire seasons.

I know HT loves the Respect Ladder - Dunn is well below Bate on that ladder, while in terms of current talent and performance Dunn is ahead.

However, I believe that sometimes (alot of the time) fans get stuck on the last match(es) they saw.

I know you are only as good as the last snap judgement you make...err, last game you play, but more reflection is required.

Bate was struggling with injury this year and I would not be trading him yet. They both have hard work to do - but they both should be kept in 2011.

This is a bumped thread.

That comment was from May - against the Bulldogs.

Bate can go missing in games - Dunn has gone missing for entire seasons.

I know HT loves the Respect Ladder - Dunn is well below Bate on that ladder, while in terms of current talent and performance Dunn is ahead.

However, I believe that sometimes (alot of the time) fans get stuck on the last match(es) they saw.

I know you are only as good as the last snap judgement you make...err, last game you play, but more reflection is required.

Bate was struggling with injury this year and I would not be trading him yet. They both have hard work to do - but they both should be kept in 2011.

Dunn has stepped up this last half of the year. He is a good kick for goal, has good hands and is hard at it. I'd be more confident knowing Dunn was in the forward line than Bate. I still think Bate is really a HFF when all is said an Dunn ;)

Dunn has stepped up this last half of the year. He is a good kick for goal, has good hands and is hard at it. I'd be more confident knowing Dunn was in the forward line than Bate. I still think Bate is really a HFF when all is said an Dunn ;)

And what is Dunn?

He ain't a CHF.

He's a HFF too. In a negation role for the most part. Who, incidentally, went missing in the biggest game of the year against the Hawks.

I am pleased with his form turnaround but I don't want to give him a bigger rap than he deserves.

He has done nothing for years, and 5 or 6 effective to good games and we are marrying him to a position to our long term forward line?

Please...

BUMP

(this thread was in response to the Bulldogs game - to jog your memory - Scully 39, Pink Jumpers, and Brian Lake)

As many know, I have a lot of time for Bate.

It really is amazing how perceptions change so quickly, I really don't think it is reality that has changed - I think Bate is capable of playing in the future forward line of a competitive MFC.

With that said, he must deliver in 2011.

He is compared to Dunn a lot as they are vying for similar spots, however, if given the choice - I would still go with Bate.

Dunn had done nothing up until mid year 2010. From there he played 5 or 6 good games.

Bate has more runs on the board, and I realise that in list management, and in selecting the 22 - opinions must change as the facts change but I have seen more, more often from Bate than Dunn.

I would keep both for 2011.

rubbish dunn was playing good all year , bate has been usless all but 2-3 games

I have never rated either Bate or Dunn particularly highly (even when in form) and always considered them a stop-gap solution until we recruited a talented young CHF. But Dunn has been very impressive since his return to the seniors and gone past Bate for the moment.

Dunn has shown he can take a mark over head, create pressure in the forward line and negate his opponent, kick long goals from a set shot and even kick a few magic/lucky goals from nothing. But what I like most is his energy and in your face attitude he seems to have developed lately (almost bordering arrogance) which I believe is required for most players to reach their potential. Dunn does tend to have a brain snap occasionaly that cost us certain goals... think it was against Adelaide when he played on 40m out right in front and dribbled the ball along the ground.

In contrast Bate has plenty of flaws which need improvement. He lacks agility, is poor when the footy is at his feet, struggles to stick a tackle, and doesn't have a big leap and rarely takes overhead marks. Bate does have a long kick and is reliable in front of goals but don't know if this makes up for everything else. Hopefully he just needs a good pre-season and a fresh start next year to regain his place in our best forward line set-up.

Edited by big tuna

rubbish dunn was playing good all year , bate has been usless all but 2-3 games

No, that's rubbish. Dunn's first half of the season was pitiful. His 'effort' against the Bulldogs on the Friday night was atrocious. It was only in the second half of the year that he began to string together some decent football, to the point where he carved himself a spot in the 22.

Bate had a couple of decent games early but for the most part looked slow and ineffective. Didn't really progress from last year. Whether that's injury-related or not will likely remain to be seen.

dunny is a better footballer than matthew bate....sorry to break it to u matthew bate lovers but thats just fact n for u to say bate is wayyy ahead of dunn as a footballer is laughable. Bater for mine is a midfielder as he has the engine to play there, as a forward he cannot take a overhead mark to save himself and its sooo frustrating to watch. As our midfield is so strong i just don't see a spot for bater in our best 22 in the future like i do for dunn in our best 22.

dunny is a better footballer than matthew bate....sorry to break it to u matthew bate lovers but thats just fact n for u to say bate is wayyy ahead of dunn as a footballer is laughable. Bater for mine is a midfielder as he has the engine to play there, as a forward he cannot take a overhead mark to save himself and its sooo frustrating to watch. As our midfield is so strong i just don't see a spot for bater in our best 22 in the future like i do for dunn in our best 22.

HA!

One of the worst posts I've ever read.

oh yer n when matty bate runs my eyes start to water, his sooooooooooo slow

Yeah. Might have been a bit harsh there.

But you're just not right about Bate and Dunn.

Both players have their pluses and minuses. Dunn's kicking technique is probably better in set shots. Bate's doesn't look pretty by foot but I'd prefer the ball to be in his hands while on the run than Dunn's.

And if there's one thing Bate is not, it's slow. The guy is a jet in straight lines. It's his turning circle and general agility that lets him down. I reckon this might be the biggest difference between the two. Dunn's actually not too bad when crumbing at times. For Bate, it's not exactly what you'd call a strength.

Honestly though. Go back over the tapes. Bate deserves more respect than you've shown.

RE dunns first half of the year, didn't he kick about 1 goal 14 in his first 7 games? if he had of kicked with similar accuracy that he had when he came back into the side I don't think his start of the year would've been considered as poor.

Yeah, a bit revisionist recent history going on in this thread.

Dunn's firs half of the season was really underwhelming and I recall being very disappointed in him because he was one that I'd predicted to take the nex step in 2010.

By the end of the season, I'd say he has taken another step, but to put him ahead of Bate is a bit far.

I'd say his career is now back on track.

Bate, like Dunn at the start of 2010, has a bit of work to do and would want to show some progression in 2011.

No doubt Dunn became the most improved--whilst Bater slipped badly.I hope both become stars on our forward line next year.Bate needs a very big pre season.He got a terrible one the last year and the year before was not much better by memory.With all the new facilities the whole list should come on in fitness.

Edited by jayceebee31