List improvements

jayceebee31

Our strategy should be fairly obvious - in 2010/2011 expect we will some what "exit the draft" and concentrate 80-90% of our energies on the trade table.

I don't think you'll see any change in strategy.

We'll stick to developing our own and bringing in suitable talent if it's on offer.

Taking the different tact, I think, leads a club to what we experienced in 2006/2007 onwards.

No doubt you would. The only reason we had Robbo up forward all the time is that he did not chase and was not mobile.

Re backs: We have Warnock, Frawley, Garland, McDonald. We have Rivers, Martin and McNamara in the wings. How much depth in defenders can you carry in a list of 40. You need to get over your fixation with height and really look at what we do have. And I worry when posters recommend we recruit for depth. Shudder.

Up forward, we will have Watts and Jurrah returning from injury. We have marking forwards in Sylvia and Bate with possibility of Green and Morton pushing forward. We have recruited Spencer, Fitzpatrick and GAWN to develop and if they do you have a contested mark big called Jamar who can go down there.

As always in the draft with our first 2 to 3 picks I suggest we take the best available. Our midfield is developing but is not established. We need to focus on quality We will probably have Junior retire, Bell to be delisted and Maric (if out of contract) is looking problematic for the future. So there is 3 potential players in the midfield.

Best post I've read on here..........ever!

Way too early to call.

Its all spectulation.

8 weeks ago, Bartram had his locker cleaned out and his bags were packed. He was gone,

Miller was our only forward. (read the past threads)

Sheeze.

Bartram has been going ok, Miller is at Casey.

Things can turn around very quickly. making calls on the list at this stage,is way too early in the season.

But heard a 'whisper' MFC has been down at Sandy Dragons sniffing out a young tall. I was told his name, but this info was passed on 2nd hand, but they heard it from the player concerned. Unless I had heard it 1st hand,I'm not about to 'speculate/confirm' any names. I would expect MFC to sound out all potental talent way before the season ends, then decide who they will target to draft,along with who will be moved on.

I hope they keep an eye on Scott Simpson who signed up with Casey this year,he was delisted by Geelong.

A 20yr tall powerful FF on our doorstep,but havent seen him listed to play at Casey in the 2 games thus far.

Then he has to show something down there to be considered.

But heard a 'whisper' MFC has been down at Sandy Dragons sniffing out a young tall. I was told his name, but this info was passed on 2nd hand, but they heard it from the player concerned. Unless I had heard it 1st hand,I'm not about to 'speculate/confirm' any names.

Wow. Devastating stuff! :blink:

In essence you have told us nothing and wondered why you bothered at all?

Dodgy source and so what information.

Cliff from Clematis on the Coodabeens had more reliable sources and info.

Guest hangon007

I don't think you'll see any change in strategy.

We'll stick to developing our own and bringing in suitable talent if it's on offer.

Taking the different tact, I think, leads a club to what we experienced in 2006/2007 onwards.

I never used the word "change" - you did.

I never suggest the term "different tact" - you did.

I will stick by my comments ... "Our strategy should be fairly obvious - in 2010/2011 expect we will some what "exit the draft" and concentrate 80-90% of our energies on the trade table."

Edited by hangon007

Wow. Devastating stuff! :blink:

In essence you have told us nothing and wondered why you bothered at all?

Dodgy source and so what information.

Cliff from Clematis on the Coodabeens had more reliable sources and info.

Good response!

My point that went over YOUR head was ....They are looking at who to draft,whos available for 2011. Then decide possibles,and who to cut.

But go back to reading your comic books.

Way too early to call.

Its all spectulation.

8 weeks ago, Bartram had his locker cleaned out and his bags were packed. He was gone,

Miller was our only forward. (read the past threads)

Sheeze.

Bartram has been going ok, Miller is at Casey.

Things can turn around very quickly. making calls on the list at this stage,is way too early in the season.

But heard a 'whisper' MFC has been down at Sandy Dragons sniffing out a young tall. I was told his name, but this info was passed on 2nd hand, but they heard it from the player concerned. Unless I had heard it 1st hand,I'm not about to 'speculate/confirm' any names. I would expect MFC to sound out all potental talent way before the season ends, then decide who they will target to draft,along with who will be moved on.

I hope they keep an eye on Scott Simpson who signed up with Casey this year,he was delisted by Geelong.

A 20yr tall powerful FF on our doorstep,but havent seen him listed to play at Casey in the 2 games thus far.

Then he has to show something down there to be considered.

He is(Simpson) injured. They thought alot of him in early training--maybe kept in cotton wool.

He is(Simpson) injured. They thought alot of him in early training--maybe kept in cotton wool.

They didnt have him listed as injured,I havent been able to get down there lately,so thanks for the update.

A far better response, as opposed from the tripe above.

Hope they do keep him under wraps,but I was surprised he

wasnt picked up as a rookie this year.

Well tell me what type of players you would like to add to our list..knowing we have to pick at least 3 or four..Whom should our recruiters be lookinbg at..Surely this is part of our strategy.. We have enough midfielders/ small forwards/ small defenders...so tell me please...whom??

We take the best available talent, be he tall or small, forward or back.

Edited by Roost It

Firstly, the game plan has not changed. The players are now more adept at doing what Bailey has been seeking them to do for the past 2 and a bit years. We have recruited skilled players that can use the ball competently by hand and foot even under pressure.

Secondly, I am not sure why we need another tall backman when we have Warnock, Garland, Frawley. I just cant see a settled back six to handle match ups week in week out with another tall.

Thirdly, our recruting of Watts, Jurrah, GAWN and Spenser reflects the Clubs understanding of the need to cover those positions but they recognise they take time to come on.

Finally, we have been lucky not to have been exposed by oppositions when playing Newton and Dunn in the ruck. Dunn has yet to convince me that he is a long term AFL player and he certainly is not a ruckman. And Darcy got one wrong if thinks Miller will take the centre bounces. He like Newton offers little up forward so its not worth sacrificing a running player for a questionable pinch hitter in the ruck.

The biggest improver in this side this year without a doubt is Mark Jamar who has profoundly impactly the last 3 games single handedly. I trust him good health and fitness. By god we need him.

I think our recruiting of Jurrah was nothing more than common sense

I think our recruiting of Jurrah was nothing more than common sense

It was hardly common sense as a number of other Clubs had looked at Jurrah and taken all the related risks as being too high.

There was no surety that Jurrah would either cut in AFL or in the big city.

Hardly common sense but a careful assessment of the cost benefit and the recruiting team should be congratulated for it.

It was hardly common sense as a number of other Clubs had looked at Jurrah and taken all the related risks as being too high.

There was no surety that Jurrah would either cut in AFL or in the big city.

Hardly common sense but a careful assessment of the cost benefit and the recruiting team should be congratulated for it.

Should they?

After one season? Thing's can change very quickly and Jurrah has shown some glimpses of

excitement last year.

I wouldn't be congratulating anyone just yet. Let's wait a few years.

Should they?

After one season? Thing's can change very quickly and Jurrah has shown some glimpses of

excitement last year.

Way to sit on the fence.

Should they?

excitement last year.

How many PSD picks go on to being good footballers let alone actually play an AFL game?

The selection took some guts. I think he is a wonderful recruit with strong prospects. I can think of many PSD picks that are just ordinary and not AFL standard

Way to sit on the fence.

I'm struggling to understand what you meant by that comment. Am I a fence sitter on whether or not Liam Jurrah

was a good pick up? I am simply saying he has played one season and we have no idea of what could happen in the future

so rather than congratulate our recruiters, why don't we wait a couple of seasons, see him settled and playing consistent footy before

we congratulate anybody. Collingwood once had him and he left due to unfortunate circumstances. Just like the Jack Watts issue, just

like the Melbourne making finals issue, we need to be a little more patient.

How many PSD picks go on to being good footballers let alone actually play an AFL game?

Jason Porplyzia

Eddie Betts

Shane O'Bree

Tyson Edwards

Peter Bell

Simon Goodwin

Shane Woewodin

Ben Graham

There are many more...

The selection took some guts. I think he is a wonderful recruit with strong prospects. I can think of many PSD picks that are just ordinary and not AFL standard

And in contrast the list above proves there are also quite a few who have turned out to be jems.

I agree with you Rhino that it was a courageous selection. For me however, it's far too early to judge

whether he was/is a good pick up. The potential is there and I wish all the best to him and I really hope

we continue to support him in an AFL football club environment.

Let's hope he can get a few games this season and show us some more of that magic.

Let's hope he can get a few games this season and show us some more of that magic.

The names you list are the exception out of alot of crud that goes nowhere in the AFL.

If a PSD pick who has not played AFL before does get to AFL level as a productive footballer then that an achievement particularly given the background to Jurrah. Culturally and sporting wise he has developed outside the "system" of AFL. In addition given the high number of players that have gone through the PSD and done nothing, the list of names you give represent a low number and exceptions to the rule.

The PSD is not the goldmine people think. As a result I think the recruiting team should be congratulated for that notwithstanding what the future holds. In 9 games he has been exciting and is a definite talent that can make it. I look forward to him to doing it.

The names you list are the exception out of alot of crud that goes nowhere in the AFL.

If a PSD pick who has not played AFL before does get to AFL level as a productive footballer then that an achievement particularly given the background to Jurrah. Culturally and sporting wise he has developed outside the "system" of AFL. In addition given the high number of players that have gone through the PSD and done nothing, the list of names you give represent a low number and exceptions to the rule.

The PSD is not the goldmine people think. As a result I think the recruiting team should be congratulated for that notwithstanding what the future holds. In 9 games he has been exciting and is a definite talent that can make it. I look forward to him to doing it.

I will settle and agree.

They are the cream of the crop of the PSD in recent years and I am very aware of the transition

Liam has had to make and how different all aspects have been for him in moving to Melbourne.

I guess I am just worried about all this expectation Melbourne supporters exert on our players. Players

that could potentially crumble from such pressures. (Watts)

With Liam I think I am extra sensitive because he really has come from such a remote part of Australia,

surrounded by a culture that is so different to that of big city life. (Western Civilization).

I still believe that if we really nurture this kid through the system and we continue to establish a strong relationship

with the NT, then we can congratulate not only the recruiting dept, but the whole club.

Here's hoping.

Should they?

excitement last year.

What a silly comment!! If you really believe this, you would have to argue exactly the same point about each and every recruit ever drafted by any AFL club.

LJ has already provided great enjoyment for Melbourne supporters and generated a heap of positive publicity for our club. After only one season and a handful of games, he is one of the 'faces' of our membership campaign, and is regarded with the likes of early draft picks Watts, Grimes, Scully and Trengove as critical to our on-field future. Further, he is widely seen as the sort of player who will draw people through the gates, and dare I say it, boost our membership stocks.

His recruitment was a masterstroke, and the way the footy club has supported his transition from Yuendumu to Melbourne, and from outback footy to the AFL is magnificent.

Congratulations to everyone involved at the Melbourne Football Club.!

With Liam I think I am extra sensitive because he really has come from such a remote part of Australia,

surrounded by a culture that is so different to that of big city life. (Western Civilization).

I still believe that if we really nurture this kid through the system and we continue to establish a strong relationship

with the NT, then we can congratulate not only the recruiting dept, but the whole club.

Here's hoping.

I understand where you are coming from but it should be remembered than despite the challenges, Jurrah is an elder in his community and from all reports comes across as a natural and responsible individual who loves playing footy. Its pity the AFL does not have more of his type of character. All power to him. I look forward to his return.

What a silly comment!! If you really believe this, you would have to argue exactly the same point about each and every recruit ever drafted by any AFL club.

LJ has already provided great enjoyment for Melbourne supporters and generated a heap of positive publicity for our club. After only one season and a handful of games, he is one of the 'faces' of our membership campaign, and is regarded with the likes of early draft picks Watts, Grimes, Scully and Trengove as critical to our on-field future. Further, he is widely seen as the sort of player who will draw people through the gates, and dare I say it, boost our membership stocks.

His recruitment was a masterstroke, and the way the footy club has supported his transition from Yuendumu to Melbourne, and from outback footy to the AFL is magnificent.

Congratulations to everyone involved at the Melbourne Football Club.!

I'm not sure you have read every post deeoldfart.

Read my last post.

It has been one year. I like your enthusiasm but can we just wait a little longer before stating

the recruitment of him was a masterstroke?

I'm not sure you have read every post deeoldfart.

Read my last post.

It has been one year. I like your enthusiasm but can we just wait a little longer before stating

the recruitment of him was a masterstroke?

You are correct stmj, as is my usual habit, I responded to your initial post as I was reading my way through the thread (and I type at a pretty slow rate, especially with my <2yo grand daughter wanting to 'help' me).

Anyway, I am pleased that you have 'settled and agreed'.

As for my use of the term 'masterstroke', I would argue that LJ's selection has already proved to be a major coup for the MFC, both on and off the field. I hope you are happier with those words.

PS. my grandaughter is very bright ... she has a toy sea-horse named 'Jurrah' and already knows the words of the Grand Old Flag with very little prompting. I suspect that she will be singing our song a great deal over the next decade, and barring injury, I'm very confident that LJ will be a very important part of the reason why.

You are correct stmj, as is my usual habit, I responded to your initial post as I was reading my way through the thread (and I type at a pretty slow rate, especially with my <2yo grand daughter wanting to 'help' me).

Anyway, I am pleased that you have 'settled and agreed'.

As for my use of the term 'masterstroke', I would argue that LJ's selection has already proved to be a major coup for the MFC, both on and off the field. I hope you are happier with those words.

PS. my grandaughter is very bright ... she has a toy sea-horse named 'Jurrah' and already knows the words of the Grand Old Flag with very little prompting. I suspect that she will be singing our song a great deal over the next decade, and barring injury, I'm very confident that LJ will be a very important part of the reason why.

Did not notice LJ at training Friday, hope he hasn't got onto Wona's magpie geese as well.