• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The forward line is in good shape

Yencks

Come to think of it, I like the way our forward line is heading.

With Watts and Jurrah as the two main focal points.

With two great small forwards in Wonna and Maric (who I hope can also run through the midfield)

With half-forward options in Bate, Tapscott, Sylvia

With stelwarts like Green and Bruce to float through

With medium options such as Petterd

With tall options such as Martin, Morton and Garland in whom the FD have a lot of faith in

With very tall options to potentially float through and "crash the packs" in Jamar, Gawn and potentially Fitzpatrick if he puts on a million kilos

I think we are looking pretty good in this regard

HF: Tapscott Watts Bate

FF: Wonna Martin Jurrah

others: Sylvia, Garland, Gawn, Jamar, Green, Bruce, Fitzpatrick, Maric, Petterd, Morton

Take of it what you will but I don't think it is worth freaking out over not taking a Talia or a Black. IMO, it is worth taking best available and if that is midfielders, then so be it.

edit: forgot to add Morton, cheers Akum

Edited by Gawn with the wind

Agree, but even more so because Morton is rarely mentioned as a forward option. He got 3 straight in a half against Geelong (pretty sure it was Geelong) playing CHF in lousy conditions. OK, he's not the "pack-crasher" option, but he's great overhaed one-on-one, very mobile and a great kick (notwithstanding the occasional scrubber). He needs to be considered in everybody's "forward options" mix IMO.

We still need to recruit another key position forward or two.

Watts should become the CHF we need and we can structure the team around him.

Hopefully someone like Fitzpatrick will come good, and wil support from Jurrah will be focal points up forward.

We're getting enough players who can run through the midfield, so hopefully we'll be right in a few years time.

I think we'll rely on a more mobile forward line, with plenty of midfielders rotating and running through the forward line.

I think it is clear that MFC plans Morton to be our future CHF when he bulks up fully. Morton has been quoted as saying this.

Garland is another one CAC and others have mentioned might make a move forward.

We have now added Fitzpatrick who according to all coaching staff at the draft event, has been recruited as a forward.

Martin is also being developed as a swingman who can play forward.

With all these, options is makes sense we didn't just pick up a KP forward in the draft bc we didn't rate any of them!

Future forward line:

Morton Bate Pettard

Jurrah Watts Wona

Then add Maric, Jetta, Sylvia, Tapscott as medium forwards floating through.

Also Garland, Martin and Fitzpatrick as potential big forwards also!

It's very interesting to see our forward line change from the past few years to what it will be next year and in the future. We had two key marking forwards in Neitz and Robertson who were excellent marking players. However they were both poor defensively and, combined with players like Yze, the ball was often run out of defence very easily with little pressure. That's why we had three ruckmen in the forward line at the same time against Carlton this year (although Jamar kicked 5 so it superficially looked like a positive move).

In the future our forward line could contain Watts, Jurrah, Morton, Bate, Tapscott and Maric/Aussie. All of these players are athletic and capable of providing excellent defensive pressure. The game has changed and the defensive ability of our forward line could make the opposition kick to more contests, where our midfielders excel.

It was interesting in the Hun this morning where Schwab had written down a potential team and in the middle of it he had circled the word "Run". I'm happy to sacrifice a deep power forward for more run. Especially given that all of those players are capable overhead.

A case of "watch this space" as far as our forward line is concerned. I'm not sold that we have covered all bases up there but we can address that in future if we need to. It doesn't change the fact that we had a great draft.

According to Josh Mahoney, Martin is going to be developed as a Tall forward into the future to compliment Watts, with Jurrah and Bate to be the more versatile X-factor forwards.

He also noted that Maric, Jetta, Sylvia and Tapscott are should be goal-kicking midfielders/high half forwards. None he considered true full-time forwards.

He said Wona is very highly rated, but don't want to limit him to the small forward role. Hope he turns into a Davey type, playing everywhere.

Josh thinks we need an extra gun crumming forward, but that he didn't think there were any major deficiencies with our forward line.

Fitzpatrick will be developed as a tall forward.

He said that the only tall forward worthy of a first rounder was Butcher, and even he had deficiencies. The other tall forwards available- Black, Panos and Tahlia- were 192cm mobile type forwards in the mould of a Bate or a Dunn. None of them were true key forwards. Thus, none of them were really worthy of pick11, and they also wouldn't have filled any 'need' for the key forward.

According to Josh Mahoney, Martin is going to be developed as a Tall forward into the future to compliment Watts, with Jurrah and Bate to be the more versatile X-factor forwards.

He also noted that Maric, Jetta, Sylvia and Tapscott are should be goal-kicking midfielders/high half forwards. None he considered true full-time forwards.

He said Wona is very highly rated, but don't want to limit him to the small forward role. Hope he turns into a Davey type, playing everywhere.

Josh thinks we need an extra gun crumming forward, but that he didn't think there were any major deficiencies with our forward line.

Fitzpatrick will be developed as a tall forward.

That all sounds good and I have also read that Garland will be put up forward as a forward option as well. I'm not suggesting the club hasn't addressed the issue simply that I will wait to see how it pans out rather than pencil it in now as a successful long term solution.

He said that the only tall forward worthy of a first rounder was Butcher, and even he had deficiencies. The other tall forwards available- Black, Panos and Tahlia- were 192cm mobile type forwards in the mould of a Bate or a Dunn. None of them were true key forwards. Thus, none of them were really worthy of pick11, and they also wouldn't have filled any 'need' for the key forward.

All good, the club certainly did it's homework on this. The mids we got all sound like class prospects - great draft.

Edited by 1858

Like most of our team, it is far too early to claim that it is in good shape IMO.

The backline is the closest to being in good shape I believe.

But it does make it harder now to argue that our forward line is in bad shape

Miller's days of commanding a starting-spot in our side are over, with the obvious exception of a number of injuries. Unless he kicks 40 goals in 2010, I find it highly unlikely that he will still be at Melbourne in 2011.

Everyone forgets about Miller as a KPP. He plays CFH/FF and has another 5 years left.

Put in some good forwards around him and a good midfield and he will be a better player.

Must admit that I don't really consider Miller as a long term option. However if he sticks with lead / mark / handpass to whichever of Morton, Sylvia, Maric, Strauss, Trengove, Tapscott, Davey, Blease, Gysbert, Scully, Grimes or Wonna who happen to be running past towards goal he could cause some problems.

That's interesting. Griffith's seemed like the other true power forward after Butcher. Injury prone-ness too much of a risk?

I can see Fitzpatrick being our Koschitzke to Watts' Riewoldt...hopefully without the same capacity to injure oneself in new and interesting ways.

That's interesting. Griffith's seemed like the other true power forward after Butcher. Injury prone-ness too much of a risk?

I can see Fitzpatrick being our Koschitzke to Watts' Riewoldt...hopefully without the same capacity to injure oneself in new and interesting ways.

[/quote

i'd be happy if Watts ended up anywhere near Reiwoldt's standing.

I mentioned this in a pinned thread, and as no-one will see it I will ask again:

Is Gawn our Tippett?

Everyone wanted Talia (shorter than Watts, slower than Jurrah, not an out-and-out forward) but Gawn is different in that he is 5 inches taller and plays a role not unlike Tippett (Good presence, uses body in marking contests).

He would be the release player for a mid under pressure - kick it to the top of the square where Gawn is towering over a 'ruckman trying to play defender.'

This mitigates one of my concerns - that any player introduced into our forward line would have to compete for a midfielder's attention with Watts and Jurrah. A competition that Watts and Jurrah would win.

However, if Gawn has a role (in 3 to 5 years time, and let's be honest, that's all we care about) as a part-time ruckman/part-time forward he would attract ball through his sheer size, and from the 'release kick' when players are under pressure outside the 50.

This is how I would develop him at Casey for the next couple of years. Jamar can play this role with Martin while Gawn is developing.

I mentioned this in a pinned thread, and as no-one will see it I will ask again:

Is Gawn our Tippett?

Everyone wanted Talia (shorter than Watts, slower than Jurrah, not an out-and-out forward) but Gawn is different in that he is 5 inches taller and plays a role not unlike Tippett (Good presence, uses body in marking contests).

He would be the release player for a mid under pressure - kick it to the top of the square where Gawn is towering over a 'ruckman trying to play defender.'

This mitigates one of my concerns - that any player introduced into our forward line would have to compete for a midfielder's attention with Watts and Jurrah. A competition that Watts and Jurrah would win.

However, if Gawn has a role (in 3 to 5 years time, and let's be honest, that's all we care about) as a part-time ruckman/part-time forward he would attract ball through his sheer size, and from the 'release kick' when players are under pressure outside the 50.

This is how I would develop him at Casey for the next couple of years. Jamar can play this role with Martin while Gawn is developing.

Gawn really excites me a lot.

And if Fitzpatrick can turn out to be merely at least an average AFL player that can hold a position up forward, even as a decoy for Watts and Jurrah we could be onto something.

Let's just fast forward to Sept 2013.

I love it.

But then copious amounts of wine will do that to you.