Jack Watts News Article:

DemonDan...

Was thinking that myself - ripping him off already too! :angry:

Ripping him off how? He's doing what any good manager should do who is managing a really young bloke earning a ridiculous amount of money. Managing it. Personally I'd be disappointed if managers didn't offer this service, especially for the younger players.

$ 130 a week.... bloody hell, centrelink pays better than that!

How much money does an 18 year old who still lives at home need on a weekly basis? I'm sure if he wanted to use his finances to purchase a car or property (or some other sensible investment) his manager would help him arrange it. A player like Watts would have next to no living expenses at all.

I think it's very important that all players in the AFL system are helped in managing their money from the very start. It's an industry where you go from being a kid, to instantly earning a lot of money. For most people, that would completely blow their perspective on how the real world works. Then they get to 30 odd, can't play any more, and all of a sudden their income stream dries up and they are left up the creek.

Guest Watts=Saviour

I thought we might see an article like this during pre season, but I was suprised to see it this early.

This is Jack Watts at the start of pre season. I cannot wait to see him round 1 2010.

He's going to be a bloody gun.

Nope. Great player, but I take the KP forward every time.

He does not look like a boy anymore, he is now a man,no superstar of the history of VFL/afl have been a superstar from there first 3 games,riewoldt, only played 6 games in his first year. lethal is going to eat his words,he said on TV, that he cant see any reason, why watts was the number 1 pick.

But lethal hates melbourne

Remember, most teenagers keep growing until their early twenties.

It may be that he's got taller over the last 12 months and that may acccount for a few of those kilos.

I reckon we should get at least another couple of centimetres out of him.

Riewoldt is only 193cm. A faster, taller and younger Riewoldt ... very exciting.

C: If I was to choose one player from those pick #1s, I'd probably pick Riewoldt first... But after that I'd take Watts. Seriously. And even then Jack has the potential to knock Nick off the top.

That is an outrageous quote. Reiwoldt is a superstar of the highest order. If he is anywhere near as good it will be great for us! And its too early to be saying you would take him over the likes of Hodge Cooney ect.

My jaw dropped when I saw the back page today. He is HUGE already. Imagine another 7-10kg's on his 195cm frame. He's going to be a mountain of a man.

He's far from huge - when you're holding a dumbbell and have your tricep pushed up against your body its not hard to look muscular.

I saw him the other day - still very spindly. No way known he is 89 kegs, but he'll keep putting on size in the next few years so nothing to worry about

Guest delicious jurrah coffee
He's far from huge - when you're holding a dumbbell and have your tricep pushed up against your body its not hard to look muscular.

I saw him the other day - still very spindly. No way known he is 89 kegs, but he'll keep putting on size in the next few years so nothing to worry about

agreed, went to training last week, J WATTS is a bean pole, hes got a chest like a 17yr old boy.

That is an outrageous quote. Reiwoldt is a superstar of the highest order. If he is anywhere near as good it will be great for us! And its too early to be saying you would take him over the likes of Hodge Cooney ect.

Think what you want about the quote. It's not at all outrageous. What we're talking about here is how the players were regarded AT THE POINT THEY WERE RECRUITED. ie, Cooney on draft day (and for a number of years after it) and Hodge on draft day (also for a number of years afterwards) were not the players they are now. Comparing Cooney and Hodge at 100 games to Watts at a handful is silly. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough. I thought this would have been taken "as read."

It's ridiculous to EXPECT Watts to be better. But we're not talking about expecting. Based on what I've seen him do, how much upside there is, the skills and brains he has, the side being built around him... it's only going to be a matter of time before he comes out of his shell. And when he does he VERY WELL could shade names like Cooney and Hodge...

That's two names I have MASSIVE respect for, and they're in different weight divisions, so let's go like for like. I think Watts' ceiling could be a fraction higher than Rieweoldt. It's as simple as that. Please note, however, that I use the word "could" be. It's still a massive mountain to climb.

agreed, went to training last week, J WATTS is a bean pole, hes got a chest like a 17yr old boy.

That's cos he WAS a 17 year old boy less than a year ago.

I look at the comparison between Morton and Watts. Morton has us all worried... I reckon Watts has the frame. Brown looked a bit skinny like that at a similar age.

Think what you want about the quote. It's not at all outrageous. What we're talking about here is how the players were regarded AT THE POINT THEY WERE RECRUITED. ie, Cooney on draft day (and for a number of years after it) and Hodge on draft day (also for a number of years afterwards) were not the players they are now. Comparing Cooney and Hodge at 100 games to Watts at a handful is silly. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough. I thought this would have been taken "as read."

It's ridiculous to EXPECT Watts to be better. But we're not talking about expecting. Based on what I've seen him do, how much upside there is, the skills and brains he has, the side being built around him... it's only going to be a matter of time before he comes out of his shell. And when he does he VERY WELL could shade names like Cooney and Hodge...

That's two names I have MASSIVE respect for, and they're in different weight divisions, so let's go like for like. I think Watts' ceiling could be a fraction higher than Rieweoldt. It's as simple as that. Please note, however, that I use the word "could" be. It's still a massive mountain to climb.

Fair enough, makes a lot more sense now. Only time will tell, one thing he certainly does have is that he seems to be a better kick already than Reiwoldt is now which is pretty crucial for a key forward. If he can watch and learn a lot off reiwoldt he should become exactly the player we need more than anything!