Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc?

H_T

Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nice report RB. I greatly admire your work in this area, in conjunction with the Melbourne Footy Club.

I certainly believe that this is just another sign of a new and famous era for the MFC, both on and off the field. The club has not blown any trumpets to herald this trip and clearly will let the words and pictures speak for themselves.......unlike others. Understated, but full of real substance and that's what really matters. AFL headquarters will love this, which can only be good for us in the long run. Not that I'm saying that it was the primary motivation for this worthwhile trip.

Once again, thanks for the report and well done. I can't wait to read the article and to see the vision.

Does Young Australian of the Year for the NT make him a star?!

Liam just won the Young Australian of the Year for the NT. In the running for Young Australian of the Year...

Martin Flanagan should have a story in The Age tomorrow, so I don't want to spoil his thunder. However, let me just express a huge thanks to the MFC for inviting me to accompany them on such an amazing journey...

Wow. Cheers for the Info guys. B)

EDIT: Article from MFC. http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsart...21/default.aspx

Edited by DemonDan...

Does Young Australian of the Year for the NT make him a star?!

Liam just won the Young Australian of the Year for the NT. In the running for Young Australian of the Year (each state/territory has one entrant) on Australia Day. This was not just based on his incredible football story of courage, strength and leadership in coming from a remote desert community.

But also his profound work here in Yuendumu with the Mt Theo Program in the Jaru Pirrjirdi project, where he worked with us as a youth mentor (www.mttheo.org) from the age of 16-19. He was incredibly strong in helping us create positive life pathways for at risk youngfellas. In getting their lives on strong, proud and meaningful road. He carries on his inspiration with his new journey.

It is testament to the incredible person that he is, even better than the footballer he is, which is really saying something. All Warlpiri proud.

///

We had an incredible visit over the last few days from the Melbourne Footy club. Jimmy Stynes, Dean Bailey, Cameron Schwab, Don Mclardy, Chris Connolly, Ian Flack and Liam were joined by Rudeboy from here (!) and Collingwood Industrial Magpies as well as Rupert Betheras (as well as CH 7 Tim Watson and Martin Flanagan). They came with great respect, interest, kindness and generosity. Liam brings people together, he is a leader of men, across cultures. l will let Rudeboy write of his adventures here, in Alice, then journeying out to Yuendumu, greeting all of Liams family, the school, us at Mt Theo, the Arts Centre, a trip out bush and a footy clinic and scratch matches.

But most importantly the community was overwhelmed with joy at seeing Liam home but also at the grace and care with which Melbourne came here (Rudeboy and Rupert have been out before). And thus obviously the respect and love they have for Liam. You should be blood proud of your club fellas. This is history being made, beyond football.

Bugger the draft picks - this is the highlight of the MFC year for me. Thanks Japaljarri for this account and I am proud of the club for its part in this. It is almost impossible for us in the suburbs of Melbourne to fully appreciate the massive upheaval it must have been for Liam to play and live here.

My 2 sons attended a recent Akon concert which they enjoyed but their highlight was talking and getting a photograph with Liam. He is a humble man with great talent and qualities that the club and the city is blessed to be able to experience. I really hope he stays at the club over the next decade as he has the potential to change our little part of the world in the way another long distance traveller has. When people ask me what has MFC has achieved in recent history I now point to Liam as well as Jimmy. Every year some team has to win the Premiership but what club has stories like these two trailblazers.

Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc? - no. There are trillions of stars but only one Liam Jurrah. We are lucky and privileged to be able to see you in our jumper. Well done Liam - no matter what you do from now on you will always be a legend of the MFC, your people and Australia.

So..to pose the devils advocacy, if those suggesting hes not a star yet, then he must be by the 'yet" a star in the making. If he's a star in the making( bysuch definition ) then he is already a star, just not quite so bright.

A star is a star... whether YOU see its light is a factor of you ability to see it...not whether the light exists !!

Do you call a tadpole a frog? It's a potential frog.

I keep telling my fiancee that I have a six-pack. Well, we all have abdominal muscles don't we? Isn't that what a six-pack is?

(Not sure where this thread headed, got halfway down the first page so thought I'd contribute my rubbish! Apologies if this has nothing to do with where the thread is now at!) ;)

Bugger the draft picks - this is the highlight of the MFC year for me. Thanks Japaljarri for this account and I am proud of the club for its part in this. It is almost impossible for us in the suburbs of Melbourne to fully appreciate the massive upheaval it must have been for Liam to play and live here.

My 2 sons attended a recent Akon concert which they enjoyed but their highlight was talking and getting a photograph with Liam. He is a humble man with great talent and qualities that the club and the city is blessed to be able to experience. I really hope he stays at the club over the next decade as he has the potential to change our little part of the world in the way another long distance traveller has. When people ask me what has MFC has achieved in recent history I now point to Liam as well as Jimmy. Every year some team has to win the Premiership but what club has stories like these two trailblazers.

Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc? - no. There are trillions of stars but only one Liam Jurrah. We are lucky and privileged to be able to see you in our jumper. Well done Liam - no matter what you do from now on you will always be a legend of the MFC, your people and Australia.

Top post Crystal.

What I would reeeeeeally like to see the Club do is get every listed player to visit Liam's community and spend a few days there (similar to Jimmy and co's recent trip). They would have even more respect for Liam, and our other "brothers", and the joy that it would bring to that community would be unimaginable. I also think it would be a special bond between all our players, a strong bond that hopefully sees our players want to stay and play as a team rather than chase the big bucks. While players have to look after themselves (financially), experiences like that can change they way a person thinks. This trip could be done during the pre-season, as well as around the same weekend as our Darwin match. I know the players have tight routines/schedules each week, but if the Club can work something out, it would be great.

The other bonus of the above would be that every one of those kids would want to play for the MFC. If our team (players) goes out of its way to visit these places, all of these kids will be wearing red and blue for their entire life. It will also show Liam that we are serious about making his AFL life as easy as possible, and hopefully see him play for us for a decade.

Top post Crystal.

What I would reeeeeeally like to see the Club do is get every listed player to visit Liam's community and spend a few days there (similar to Jimmy and co's recent trip). They would have even more respect for Liam, and our other "brothers", and the joy that it would bring to that community would be unimaginable. I also think it would be a special bond between all our players, a strong bond that hopefully sees our players want to stay and play as a team rather than chase the big bucks. While players have to look after themselves (financially), experiences like that can change they way a person thinks. This trip could be done during the pre-season, as well as around the same weekend as our Darwin match. I know the players have tight routines/schedules each week, but if the Club can work something out, it would be great.

The other bonus of the above would be that every one of those kids would want to play for the MFC. If our team (players) goes out of its way to visit these places, all of these kids will be wearing red and blue for their entire life. It will also show Liam that we are serious about making his AFL life as easy as possible, and hopefully see him play for us for a decade.

You are spot on billy. The MFC has really matured over the years and I believe now sees itself as more than just a football club. It has correctly identified its responsibility to its employees and its moral obligation to use its position to positively influence society. The lifestyle of an AFL footballer is not 'real world' and the potential for players to get highly inflated egos and develop bad habits is dangerously high. There are a few 'car crashes' out there and I'm sure we could all name a few. Clubs including MFC by their own admittance did not understand, appreciate nor facilitate the assimilation of the wonderful indigenous players very well until recently, and what a gift they have been to the game and their club. To share their amazing stories and courage they have displayed just to get to where they are now to the club and the community would be our 'Kakoda Trail'.

We owe it to our players to give them life experience outside of the insular AFL world. Instead of flaunting its riches like some clubs with overseas junkets in the name of 'high altitude training' I agree with you billy, that the players, the club and all AFL supporters would grow from a better understanding, respect and acceptance of our brothers through your suggestion.

I think this should be the answer to the O/P.

All these highlights from only 9 games, with some time also spent on the pine for being too dangerous ;)

One thing I noticed was how well Jurrah and Petterd linked up on numerous occasions, exciting times ahead for us all.

Enjoy the ride fellow Demons supporters, our time has come !!!!

Edited by DeeMfc

I think this should be the answer to the O/P.

All these highlights from only 9 games, with some time also spent on the pine for being too dangerous ;)

One thing I noticed was how well Jurrah and Petterd linked up on numerous occasions, exciting times ahead for us all.

Enjoy the ride fellow Demons supporters, our time has come !!!!

Thanks Dee.

Non-sexual man crush. Unblemished record too.

Some key points (in no particular order), and let's face it, these are only a few;

1. As mentioned, his awareness with Petterd - NEVER delist Petterd while the Wizard is listed!

2. The other "brothers" non-verbal communication with him. They know where to kick it - he knows where they are kicking it!

3. He is quick, but not lightning fast. Wont hurt to bulk up a bit as it wont hinder his pace too much.

4. Defenders, quality defenders can't match up on him.

5, The respect opponents have for him already (you can tell by the looks on their face when he marks, it's like "oh sh!t, he's got it again - how did he do that???!!!"

The number 4 point is vital. Please, everyone on Demonland, do not have LJ as a KPF in your starting 18. At best, he is our 3rd tall. We need him starting in the pocket where he will get 3rd best defender and will absolutely kill them.

Regardless of if he comes back as good or better, or if he gets injured, or goes "walkabout", at worst, we have experienced a truly memorable 9 games of AFL football. We are honored to have witnessed what he has achieved, and it is a special feeling to be a part of it. Thanks Liam.

Thanks Dee.

Non-sexual man crush. Unblemished record too.

Some key points (in no particular order), and let's face it, these are only a few;

1. As mentioned, his awareness with Petterd - NEVER delist Petterd while the Wizard is listed!

2. The other "brothers" non-verbal communication with him. They know where to kick it - he knows where they are kicking it!

3. He is quick, but not lightning fast. Wont hurt to bulk up a bit as it wont hinder his pace too much.

4. Defenders, quality defenders can't match up on him.

5, The respect opponents have for him already (you can tell by the looks on their face when he marks, it's like "oh sh!t, he's got it again - how did he do that???!!!"

The number 4 point is vital. Please, everyone on Demonland, do not have LJ as a KPF in your starting 18. At best, he is our 3rd tall. We need him starting in the pocket where he will get 3rd best defender and will absolutely kill them.

Regardless of if he comes back as good or better, or if he gets injured, or goes "walkabout", at worst, we have experienced a truly memorable 9 games of AFL football. We are honored to have witnessed what he has achieved, and it is a special feeling to be a part of it. Thanks Liam.

We might classify him as our 3rd tall forward but the opposition won't rank him as such. He will get a lot more attention next year which will make his job harder. That's not such a bad thing as, like you said - how do you match up on him? You can't defend against 'freakish' but sides will try with their best, or at worst their 2nd best defender, making life easier for our other key forwards. Either way - we win. Gee I like the sound of that - WE WIN. Got a feeling we'll be saying it more often!

I fail to see how Jurrah will attract the third best defender next year - who will the other take?

Possibly one to Bate... and then?

My line of thinking was if we were to play Geelong, who would line up on him? I couldn't see their number 1 - Scarlett, and I couldn't really see their number 2 - Taylor, I thought possibly a Milburn, Mackie type would be the best match up, hence me saying that he will attract the 3rd defender.

You would think if we draft Thorp, he will be our main KPF, and therefore, will probably attract the number 1 defender. For a majority of the game, our 2nd or 3rd ruck will play in the forward 50m (thinking mainly Stef Martin, with Jamar there at times). A big body like that will need the 2nd best defender, then Jurrah can claim that 3rd defender. If the oppositin give Jurrah the respect he deserves and plays the number 1 or 2 defenders on him, it will allow Thorp or the Stef Martin/resting ruck a weaker defender and that will result in a bag of goals (similar to Jamar's 5 goal haul).

If anything that only builds the view that there really are no set positions in the game anymore as they have all become fluent.

I see what you're saying, and it may well be right, but in general I believe he will attract at least their second best defender - assuming match ups work.

If anything that only builds the view that there really are no set positions in the game anymore as they have all become fluent.

I see what you're saying, and it may well be right, but in general I believe he will attract at least their second best defender - assuming match ups work.

In reference to Geelong, I see a Mackie type going with Jurrah, mainly because I think he would be the best suited to defend in the air. Mackie is pretty agile too, which would suit Geelong and might want to hurt Melbourne coming out of defence by pushing high up the ground. Another perhaps is Harry Taylor. However, someone like Taylor would suit the Dees, because they might be inclined to keep Taylor predominantly down back, unlike Mackie who may have a licence to roam.

Agree with the view that set positions seem to being diluted, (ie. becoming more fluent due to the game evolving) but depending upon the individuals there is still a place for them.

You would think if we draft Thorp, he will be our main KPF, and therefore, will probably attract the number 1 defender. For a majority of the game, our 2nd or 3rd ruck will play in the forward 50m (thinking mainly Stef Martin, with Jamar there at times). A big body like that will need the 2nd best defender, then Jurrah can claim that 3rd defender. If the oppositin give Jurrah the respect he deserves and plays the number 1 or 2 defenders on him, it will allow Thorp or the Stef Martin/resting ruck a weaker defender and that will result in a bag of goals (similar to Jamar's 5 goal haul).

:huh: Jack Watts doesn't get a mention here because.....

liamjurrah.jpg

Fantastic photo by Jason South.

You and your photos! ........there is a bit of 'Cale' about him tho :blink:

:huh: Jack Watts doesn't get a mention here because.....

He will be in about 3 years time. Can't see him playing as a KPF anytime in the next 2 seasons at least. I love the boy, but would prefer him on a wing/hff for the time being, with some time (small bursts?) at FF to get a feel.

Nup. Hate to break it to you but Jurrah is merely a flash in the pan at this stage. In terms of accomplishments. He has the potential to be anything and I think we'll just enjoy his progression for the time being! :)

Flash in the pan? Isn't flash in the pan something that flairs up then dies down? Whilst I agree we have seen a glimpse of potential he is no flash in the pan just yet. I also think with a few preseasons let alone a full preseason we will see something special from LJ.

He will be in about 3 years time. Can't see him playing as a KPF anytime in the next 2 seasons at least. I love the boy, but would prefer him on a wing/hff for the time being, with some time (small bursts?) at FF to get a feel.

Id go with fp / hff. I think our centreline will be too busy to fit him in, even on a wing..

May not be KPF yet, but at 196cms and 90+ kgs already- he's going to have to get used to bigger opponents now anyway. Plus he'll take another defender off LJ!

Which is great.

For 2010, I would start with:

- Martin / resting Jamar at FF

-Watts in a f. pocket (soon to be KP)

-Miller at CHF (No other choice atm)

-LJ on a hff (soon to be KP.. in place of Miller)

Id go with fp / hff. I think our centreline will be too busy to fit him in, even on a wing..

May not be KPF yet, but at 196cms and 90+ kgs already- he's going to have to get used to bigger opponents now anyway. Plus he'll take another defender off LJ!

Which is great.

For 2010, I would start with:

- Martin / resting Jamar at FF

-Watts in a f. pocket (soon to be KP)

-Miller at CHF (No other choice atm)

-LJ on a hff (soon to be KP.. in place of Miller)

:lol: @ "No other choice atm"

So you've squeezed him in at CHF just for the hell of it ? Was there any other candidates for CHF in your thinking ?

I would like to see Morton given some time at CHF.

PS. Yeah, I think it's a very good photo....the red, the blue....a picture tells a thousand words....one word in this case.

Edited by High Tower

I don't think I've seen a first year MFC player with KPF so emblazened on him as I've seen from Jurrah - yet posters maintain a desire to see him play the sneaky fill, off to the side role.

I don't think I've seen a first year MFC player with KPF so emblazened on him as I've seen from Jurrah - yet posters maintain a desire to see him play the sneaky fill, off to the side role.

I would like to see him play that sneaky role because it's what he did so well. Who knows, in 2 or 3 years time when he has had a couple of full preseasons, as well as a couple of extra years in the whole system, he might be one f the greatest KPP to play for us.

Until then, give him a licence to be as sneaky as he wants, without the added pressure of needing to be our main goal kicker. I'd hate to see him have a downer in 2010, if it were to happen, playing him at FF/CHF would make it more noticeable, which will result in people jumping off the band wagon.

Jurrah strikes me as the sort of man who WANTS to be our main goal kicker.

I don't give two f's about people on his band wagon - he is a KPP who should learn his craft now. Especially considering that he will be 21 next year.

Jurrah strikes me as the sort of man who WANTS to be our main goal kicker.

Couldn't agree more. He definitely stikes me as a player who wants to take the game by the scruff of the neck and wants the ball, wants to kick goals.

welcome to the bandwagon ;)