• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Emma Quayle dissects the draft

titan_uranus

She agrees with rpfc that the draft will be thinner and weaker than other years, due largely to the lack of 17 year olds.

This is not opinion this is fact, ie the world is round, the 2009 AFL draft is compromised, etc.

I found that to be a HUGE quote. The fact that Sydney were willing to give the Toigs 6 and 14? And only go 3 stops better on the top pick? Massive call. Though perhaps not THAT massive given the gist of the article (the whole, nothing past #10 thing).

Were they trying to get their hands on Morabito or Martin, though?

Fascinating insight, and I for one didn't know ANYTHING about that deal til I read it today.

Martin I believe. It was reported in the Scum & on the AFL website last Wednesday or Thursday. Agree, it certainly says a lot about how the top handful are rated compared to the rest of the pack.

It'd be interesting to know what sorts of trades like this have gone through in the past and which players were the targets.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin I believe. It was reported in the Scum & on the AFL website last Wednesday or Thursday. Agree, it certainly says a lot about how the top handful are rated compared to the rest of the pack.

It'd be interesting to know what sorts of trades like this have gone through in the past and which players were the targets.

Morabito I believe. The clue being they didn't offer Fremantle the same offer. Who have pick 4. Richmond are keen on Martin.

I can't believe people are missing the really big quote in this article...

"Anthony Morabito, a 190-centimetre wingman from Western Australia. They seem the distinct top five at this early stage. That Sydney offered Richmond draft picks six and 14 for No. 3, but didn't make Fremantle the same offer, tells us something."

I found that to be a HUGE quote. The fact that Sydney were willing to give the Toigs 6 and 14? And only go 3 stops better on the top pick? Massive call. Though perhaps not THAT massive given the gist of the article (the whole, nothing past #10 thing).

Fascinating insight, and I for one didn't know ANYTHING about that deal til I read it today.

How do you know it was Morabito and not Martin they were after?

Morabito I believe. The clue being they didn't offer Fremantle the same offer. Who have pick 4. Richmond are keen on Martin.

??? Which would mean Morabito would still be available at pick 4, so you'd offer the same deal to Freo...

I don't understand your logic here, but I'm convinced the swans would be aiming for Martin

??? Which would mean Morabito would still be available at pick 4, so you'd offer the same deal to Freo...

I don't understand your logic here, but I'm convinced the swans would be aiming for Martin

Its clear they wanted someone who was unlikely to be available at 6!

Well IMO, they'd (sydney) want to come in before Freo at pick 4, most likely knowing that Freo are after Morabito. Hence why aiming for exchange for pick 3 from Richmond with picks 6 & 14.

Well IMO, they'd (sydney) want to come in before Freo at pick 4, most likely knowing that Freo are after Morabito. Hence why aiming for exchange for pick 3 from Richmond with picks 6 & 14.

I'm with KS. Your logic makes no sense. If Richmond want Martin then Morabito will still be available at pick 4, yet they didn't make Freo the same offer. All reports have been stating the Swans want Martin.

I'm with KS. Your logic makes no sense. If Richmond want Martin then Morabito will still be available at pick 4, yet they didn't make Freo the same offer. All reports have been stating the Swans want Martin.

I haven't seen the reports on Swans and Martin. If true, that would explain that version then.

How do you know it was Morabito and not Martin they were after?

The article claims it was about Mora.

But I asked the question quite literally... Which one? If you look closely it could be either. Either they asked for pick 3 to get in ahead of Richmond for Martin... basically like saying picks 6 and 14 for Martin. Then by NOT asking Freo for the same trade for pick 4, it shows they believed Martin would be gone by then and that Morabito was not worth trading 2 early picks for...

OR

They wanted to get in BEFORE Fremantle. Richmond have already gone public in saying they want Martin, which means that pick 4 is the first active one. Maybe they KNEW Freo have intended to take Mora all along, and didn't bother to approach them as the Toigs pick would have made pick 4 redundant.

Well I for one am confused. But it's still fascinating. What's more fascinating is, let's say the proposed Sydney trade did actually go through. Then we pull a shifty and take Morabito or Martin instead of Trengove. I wonder if the club that misses out on their intended pick (Martin for Toigs, Mora for Freo) would be even MORE excited to pick up Trengove?

I haven't seen the reports on Swans and Martin. If true, that would explain that version then.

I haven't seen any reports about Sydney wanting him either. I have seen reports about Martin going to Richmond at 3, and extrapolated that Sydney's desire for Pick 3 and not Pick 4 is because they want what Richmond want - Dustin Martin.

Come on, HT.

You're better than that.

The article claims it was about Mora.

You think? The only place it was mentioned is here:

Who are the really good players?

Tom Scully and Jack Trengove seem, at this point, likely to be wearing Melbourne jumpers next year. All going well, they will play round one. Midfielders Dustin Martin and Ben Cunnington are in the top group, as is Anthony Morabito, a 190-centimetre wingman from Western Australia. They seem the distinct top five at this early stage. That Sydney offered Richmond draft picks six and 14 for No. 3, but didn't make Fremantle the same offer, tells us something.

Nothing to suggest Mora from that.

No, the Swans making the offer to a club with pick 3 that wants Martin & not a club with pick 4 that does not want Martin explains that version.

Not entirely.

I find this fascinating. Here's the other version.

Let's say firstly, Fremantle are going to select Morabito, lock stock and barrel at pick 4.

Secondly, North Melbourne who have pick 5, lets say they have Cunnington locked in at their selection.

Now Sydney's offer to Richmond was picks 6 and 14 for pick 3.

Perhaps' Sydney's pitch to Richmond would of been, "you guys want Martin, we want Morabito, here is picks 6 and 14 for pick 3, we know North want Cunnington, you can still perhaps get Martin at 6, because we think if Freo miss Morabito they're next option will be Rohan, not Martin, which leaves you guys to get him at 6. We get our guy, you guys get what you want plus another pick at 14. Deal ?

Richmond: "No. P!ss off"

:lol:

Not entirely.

Yes, entirely. People are coming to the conclusion that the Swans want Martin entirely from the fact that they offered a deal for the Tigers pick 3 and not to anyone else.

Whether or not it is true or not is another story but there is no doubt that the above conclusion makes logical sense. Whereas yours does not.

Not entirely.

I find this fascinating. Here's the other version.

Let's say firstly, Fremantle are going to select Morabito, lock stock and barrel at pick 4.

Secondly, North Melbourne who have pick 5, lets say they have Cunnington locked in at their selection.

Now Sydney's offer to Richmond was picks 6 and 14 for pick 3.

Perhaps' Sydney's pitch to Richmond would of been, "you guys want Martin, we want Morabito, here is picks 6 and 14 for pick 3, we know North want Cunnington, you can still perhaps get Martin at 6, because we think if Freo miss Morabito they're next option will be Rohan, not Martin, which leaves you guys to get him at 6. We get our guy, you guys get what you want plus another pick at 14. Deal ?

That would be about 6,238, if Land was to rank every contribution you have made, HT.

That makes less sense than Flash Forward...

And yes, I will keep watching, but it better go somewhere quickly.

have played school footy against TOY and although he is obviously good i saw him get torn apart in the Grand Final against Assumption. Didnt look like he gave a [censored] to be honest and it was a pretty big match

Maybe he was disinterested because he was playing school footy?

I'm going to believe Emma on this one.

Of all the draft hopefuls, Trengove is sounding more and more like being closest to the perfect package. Midfield marking ability in the corridore is something that has hurt us greatly over the last few years.

Yeah, what I like about Trengove is his ability to be damaging up forward and that he can take a mark. Good stuff for mids.

"Anthony Morabito, a 190-centimetre wingman from Western Australia. They seem the distinct top five at this early stage. That Sydney offered Richmond draft picks six and 14 for No. 3, but didn't make Fremantle the same offer, tells us something."

When I read that, I thought she was just using that deal as an example of how clubs rate the top 5 as being well out in front of the rest. Not necessarily that Sydney had their eye specifically on Martin or Morabito (or anyone). Just that Sydney felt pick 14, even at 14, was going to be a bit speculative, and they'd really prefer to get a certainty out of that top 5.

That makes less sense than Flash Forward...

And yes, I will keep watching, but it better go somewhere quickly.

Flash Forward pisses me off. I thought it was going to be good. Like Lost. Now there's a decent TV show.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, Dappa see's the scenario fwiw, anyway Richmond made the right decision. And good on Sydney for putting an offer like that up.

He sees the scenario because he read the article arse backwards. It wasn't about Morabito, it was about there being a talent at 3 that wouldn't be there at 4 and it was either Martin, Morabito, or Cunnington. Richmond's reported desire for Martin leads all (rational) people to conclude that Sydney wanted Martin very badly.

As much as hangon007 wants Ball, titan wants Flash Forward to be decent, and I want better quadriceps (honestly first game of cricket for the year and they are TENDER!).

You think?

Nothing to suggest Mora from that.

Looks like I misread the article. I didn't see the fullstop. Just read the Morabito/pick trade sentences as one.

Never mind me. Might go change my name to Dyslexic Dan.

I like your creativity HT. But no, I think the Richmond "[censored] off" part was the only thing that you got right there. Still... fun to think about.

When I read that, I thought she was just using that deal as an example of how clubs rate the top 5 as being well out in front of the rest. Not necessarily that Sydney had their eye specifically on Martin or Morabito (or anyone). Just that Sydney felt pick 14, even at 14, was going to be a bit speculative, and they'd really prefer to get a certainty out of that top 5.

Yep. As Torpedo pointed out, I misread that bit.

He sees the scenario because he read the article arse backwards.

Ahh no. Just missed the point on one sentence there, thinking it was about Mora. But I got the gist of it regarding Martin. Take a deep breath, we're all human.

it was about there being a talent at 3 that wouldn't be there at 4 and it was either Martin, Morabito, or Cunnington. Richmond's reported desire for Martin leads all (rational) people to conclude that Sydney wanted Martin very badly.

That IS how I read it all along. The other scenarios I posted were just for shits and giggles.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Sydney tried to trade pick 6 because it is a graveyard. Pick 7's get the awards and picks 6's just ride off into the sunset.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Yeah. Especially if they're 192cm...

True. Pick 6 192cm players are the worst. Best just to pay them out and send them home.