Membership madness

flog

Trade time is a strange period of the year. Rumours fly around all over the place. People make huge calls about there football club and there players but one has caught my eye more so than other years. There seems to be an enormous amount of people calling radio stations declaring they will rip, tare, cut, burn and destroy there memberships. Some people are stating they will leave the club and follow another. For example people have stated if Fevola was to be traded to Sydney they would follow him with there support. I heard the same type of thing this morning over the brown to Port rumour.

What kind of a weak, low life moronic idiot do you have to be to state such a thing.

Often these people are life members of the club. Do they really think these threats will sway the clubs thinking? Put your faith in the clubs board because when the push comes to shove there in a better position than we are to make judgments.

I'd love to know how often it actually happens. Fair enough if you want to have a rant, but if anyone actually does jump ship to another side they should be shot.

What kills me is when people ring up and they're all "I've been a member for 30 years but if they do XYZ then I'm done with them". As if there's any club in the country that hasn't had a worse era in the last thirty years than whatever they're going through now. Yesterday an Essendon fan rings up SEN and gives that exact line about the Lovett trade. So he didn't have any problems when they were finishing 15th and losing by 100 points every second week? Or when they gave Sheedy the boot, but pick 16 for a good ordinary player is a dealbreaker. Nutbag.

It's one of the more ridiculous things you repeatedly hear from supporters. I think it comes from the fact that we really only have control over whether or not we're members. We can only threaten by voting with our feet. If there were another way to get back at the decision makers in your club, you'd probably hear that said more often...

The amount of people who threaten to tear up their membership vs the amount that actually do would be pretty funny.

I'd love to know how often it actually happens. Fair enough if you want to have a rant, but if anyone actually does jump ship to another side they should be shot.

What kills me is when people ring up and they're all "I've been a member for 30 years but if they do XYZ then I'm done with them". As if there's any club in the country that hasn't had a worse era in the last thirty years than whatever they're going through now. Yesterday an Essendon fan rings up SEN and gives that exact line about the Lovett trade. So he didn't have any problems when they were finishing 15th and losing by 100 points every second week? Or when they gave Sheedy the boot, but pick 16 for a good ordinary player is a dealbreaker. Nutbag.

heard that fan ring in yesterday and then i heard him ring in again this morning. Having had a night to sleep on his comments he still felt it necessary to once again state his beliefs.

Lovett wanted out and the club took the best available option but i supose some people don't see it like that.

'We' (and I don't include myself in that because I didn't give a rats about either) had the same sort of outbursts with Woewodin and to a much lesser extent Johnstone.

I can understand people cracking the sads, even holding a grudge but unless you're a 13 year old kid (i.e me when Allen Jakovich stopped playing and I paid little more than casual interest for the next two years) surely you've seen worse things happen. Over 30 years hundreds of players would have come and gone - is it really worth losing sleep over?

Maybe I should have rung up and threatened to tear up my membership when Phil Read got delisted and my #28 jumper made it look like I was an Isaac Weetra fan :(

'We' (and I don't include myself in that because I didn't give a rats about either) had the same sort of outbursts with Woewodin and to a much lesser extent Johnstone.

I can understand people cracking the sads, even holding a grudge but unless you're a 13 year old kid (i.e me when Allen Jakovich stopped playing and I paid little more than casual interest for the next two years) surely you've seen worse things happen. Over 30 years hundreds of players would have come and gone - is it really worth losing sleep over?

Maybe I should have rung up and threatened to tear up my membership when Phil Read got delisted and my #28 jumper made it look like I was an Isaac Weetra fan :(

Who is 28 now?

Who is 28 now?

Nobody. I'd like to think its been retired as a retrospective tribute to the great man Philthy.

I upgraded to a #34. Less mongrel and more of a hairdresser name but why not - I liked his snap against Hawthorn.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.