Movies/DVD's

Cards13

Watched Sarah's Keyast weekend... French flick of a lady who learns some things about her family apartment during WW2 and the people who used to live there and what happened to them. Gut wrenching.

House of Cards the Netflix series with Kevin Spacey is on the go at present. Interesting series about politics in Washington.

Has its moments, I get horrified of what people are capable of doing for themselves rather than the people who elected them and the pressures applied by lobbiest, interest groups and these so called not for profit organisations.

• 4 weeks later...

Shooting my first short in the coming month, pretty pumped!

Anyone seen The Raid? Apparently a kick ass kung fu cop movie, based in Indonesia.

Downloaded a version but it turns out it's subtitled in French (all the dialogue is in Indonesian). Unfortunately I'm not fluent in French, though I studied Indo at school. It's all gone now though.

Shooting my first short in the coming month, pretty pumped!

Anyone seen The Raid? Apparently a kick ass kung fu cop movie, based in Indonesia.

Downloaded a version but it turns out it's subtitled in French (all the dialogue is in Indonesian). Unfortunately I'm not fluent in French, though I studied Indo at school. It's all gone now though.

Haven't seen it, but re the subtitles, you may be able to find an English language subtitle online... just google the video's file name along with the word subtitles. There are plenty of sites that make subs available for download at no charge.

I've just put in a pre-order at Amazon UK for the Werner Herzog collection on Blu Ray... it comprises 7 discs with all of his films remastered:

1. The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz (1967)
  2. Last Words (1968)
  3. Precautions Against Fanatics (1969)
  4. Handicapped Future (1970)
  5. Fata Morgana (1971)
  6. Land Of Silence and Darkness (1971)
  7. Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
  8. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)
  9. The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1975)
  10. Heart of Glass (1976)
  11. How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck (1976)
  12. Stroszek (1977)
  13. Nosferatu, the Vampyre (1979)
  14. Woyzeck (1979)
  15. Huie's Sermon (1980)
  16. God's Angry Man (1980)
  17. Fitzcarraldo (1982)
  18. Cobre Verde (1987)

And it costs approx 44 quid (British pounds) shipped (releases on July 21st)... can't wait!

• Like 2

Haven't seen it, but re the subtitles, you may be able to find an English language subtitle online... just google the video's file name along with the word subtitles. There are plenty of sites that make subs available for download at no charge.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I've just put in a pre-order at Amazon UK for the Werner Herzog collection on Blu Ray... it comprises 7 discs with all of his films remastered:

2. Last Words (1968)
  5. Fata Morgana (1971)
  12. Stroszek (1977)
  14. Woyzeck (1979)
  15. Huie's Sermon (1980)
  17. Fitzcarraldo (1982)
  18. Cobre Verde (1987)

And it costs approx 44 quid (British pounds) shipped (releases on July 21st)... can't wait!

Quite a collection!

Gravity !!! Watched it last night ....Boring.. 87 minutes of Sandra Bullock and (part of the time) George Clooney floating around in Space... Special effects ??? Have been hundreds of Movies with better... Watched About Time straight after which was hilarious...!!! Brought me "back to earth" , so to speak

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching "the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" for about the 10th time. Don't know what it is about this film, but it manages to pull me in every time in watch it...the characters, the story, the scenery (in Jaipur, a place I have been and have fond memories of), just everything about it is perfect! This and the "Intouchables" (a beautiful French film) are two films I am completely in love with.

• Like 1

• The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz (1967)
  • Last Words (1968)
  • Precautions Against Fanatics (1969)
  • Handicapped Future (1970)
  • Fata Morgana (1971)
  • Land Of Silence and Darkness (1971)
  • Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
  • The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)
  • The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1975)
  • Heart of Glass (1976)
  • How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck (1976)
  • Stroszek (1977)
  • Nosferatu, the Vampyre (1979)
  • Woyzeck (1979)
  • Huie's Sermon (1980)
  • God's Angry Man (1980)
  • Fitzcarraldo (1982)
  • Cobre Verde (1987)

Watched 7 and 17 last year to practice my spanish and because we had just travelled to Amazonia via Peru. Good movies though.

Edited by The Hood

I was a bit disappointed I didn't see The Invisible Man ....Did ANYBODY see Him ???

wonder woman felt him.does that count?

wonder woman felt him.does that count?

I think our Mids were kicking the ball to him in the forward line last night.

Edited by DemonFrog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for those who are seriously into watching DVD and BluRay like myself, and just in case you aren't already aware of it....it might be worth your while looking at investing in the Laser BR1080P 3D BluRay player. It is region free for DVD and via the setup menu can be assigned to play any bluray discs from any region (A, B and C). The other good thing is that it comes with a 3 year warranty. The only other multi region bluray player I know of is the Kogan (there used to be a Soniq), which is pretty ordinary in terms of life... I had one and it died after about 18 months with just a one year warranty.

Quality is very good with the only issue I have found being the fact that it doesn't handle 48 frames per second 3D well... I brought this to their attention (they are a local Sydney based company - of course manufacture is in China) and they are looking into fixing the problem. So far the only 3D discs I have found that are 48fps are Life of Pi and The Hobbit - most others are 24fps which works perfectly. This issue only relates to the playback of 3d bluray... not the regular 2D discs.

I purchase most of my blurays from Amazon in the UK as well as from the US or Japan as even with the cost of shipping, it works out to almost 50% cheaper than buying locally (well, not the case with Japan... but certainly true for the UK and US).

Anyway.... cheap as chips and well worth a look.

2. Last Words (1968)
  5. Fata Morgana (1971)
  12. Stroszek (1977)
  14. Woyzeck (1979)
  15. Huie's Sermon (1980)
  17. Fitzcarraldo (1982)
  18. Cobre Verde (1987)

Have long been a fan of Werner's

His interviews with death row inmates in the US are also excellent.

2 disc set, but I can't recall the title.

Have long been a fan of Werner's

His interviews with death row inmates in the US are also excellent.

2 disc set, but I can't recall the title.

Yes, that was made for TV "On Death Row". I've been a Herzog fan since the early 70's and if there were ever any doubts I might have had about him, Fitzcaraldo erased them completely... superb film from a master of the craft... and lunatic to boot! He makes a film based on a true story about an opera lover who hauled a paddle steamer over a small "mountain" with nothing but local tribes people, a few logs, ropes and pulleys and so what does he do? He repeats the feat hauling a paddle steamer over a small "mountain" with nothing but local tribes people, a few logs, ropes and pulleys!! I believe he also ate one of his boots after losing a bet with his main actor Klaus Kinski.

Edited by hardtack

• 2 weeks later...

sat with a sick friend and they like comedy.

so we watched anchorman 2.

probably the 3rd worst movie ever made.

• Like 1

sat with a sick friend and they like comedy.

so we watched anchorman 2.

probably the 3rd worst movie ever made.

Worst sequel in recent memory.

• 4 weeks later...

just saw the movie CHEF.

5 stars for me,not about sex or swearing ,and a feelgood movie about fatherhood and life.

you are a new father cards?,learn to be there for the first 9 years no matter what.

Edited by jazza

Was wondering if that was going to be any good Jazza.

Started a tv series on a plane flight recently called Peaky Blinders. Set in post WW1 Birmingham about the local gangs. Interesting, hard. Sam Niell is one of the main characters.

Also got back into Gavin and Stacey with the wife, a great little UK comedy about an Essex boy who falls for a Welsh girl. Very amusing, Essex and Welsh stereotypes.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen 100 bloody acres? Low budget slasher flick, Australian and starring Angus Sampson and Damon Harriman.

Has the odd stat of being the third most illegally downloaded Australian film in the last few months. Also won a couple of awards and got some great reviews.

I've been meaning to. I was in Berlin for the European Film Market in 2013 and Screen Australia had it up everywhere. Really glad it did well critically. I'm not sure its distribution strategy was that tops though. I take it you've seen it, D? Edited by AdamFarr

The last great film I saw was Altman's 3 Women. I'd highly recommend it if you like weird, but psychologically complex narratives.

My favourite Altman film is Images... originally, the explanation for it not being released on DVD was that the original print was supposedly lost, but then suddenly it appeared on DVD. Excellent psychological thriller that I first saw around the same time as Polanski's Repulsion (which although rather more visceral, had a few similarities).

• Like 1