Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Movies/DVD's

Cards13

Shooting my first short in the coming month, pretty pumped!

Anyone seen The Raid? Apparently a kick ass kung fu cop movie, based in Indonesia.

Downloaded a version but it turns out it's subtitled in French (all the dialogue is in Indonesian). Unfortunately I'm not fluent in French, though I studied Indo at school. It's all gone now though.

Nice. How did the short go? I never saw The Raid, but they've released the sequel now, haven't they?

My favourite Altman film is Images... originally, the explanation for it not being released on DVD was that the original print was supposedly lost, but then suddenly it appeared on DVD. Excellent psychological thriller that I first saw around the same time as Polanski's Repulsion (which although rather more visceral, had a few similarities).

I've been meaning to see Images, but have been busy with Hannibal (s2), True Detective (s1), Mad Men (s7) and Game of Thrones (s4).

I have a film playing at Sydney Film Fest, so the director and I get awesomely flown up there and put up in a hotel (for three days - fly back in time for the Melbourne v Essendon game ;) ), so I'm planning on checking out the Altman retrospective while I'm up there. I take it you'll be going to something, HT?

I never really got Repulsion. The story is fine enough I guess, but I just thought it was really clumsily and cheaply executed. The special effects are amateurish and I even remember a couple of out of focus shots. I much prefer Knife In The Water. That's wonderful.

Edited by AdamFarr

I've been meaning to see Images, but have been busy with Hannibal (s2), True Detective (s1), Mad Men (s7) and Game of Thrones (s4).

I have a film playing at Sydney Film Fest, so the director and I get awesomely flown up there and put up in a hotel (for three days - fly back in time for the Melbourne v Essendon game ;) ), so I'm planning on checking out the Altman retrospective while I'm up there. I take it you'll be going to something, HT?

I never really got Repulsion. The story is fine enough I guess, but I just thought it was really clumsily and cheaply executed. The special effects are amateurish and I even remember a couple of out of focus shots. I much prefer Knife In The Water. That's wonderful.

Not sure I will be able to get along to the festival yet - finances and other plans allowing or not. (what is the film you have playing there?).

Re Repulsion... I saw both that and Images for the first time in 1972, so not having been over exposed to SFX at that time, I found myself pretty immersed in Repulsion (especially the hallway scene with the groping hands)... also, considering Repulsion was made in 1965, the effects weren't too shabby - yes, not exactly Harryhausen, but still pretty ok ;-)

If you have time for a drink when you are here, let me know. Would be good to start connecting names with faces on this forum.

• Like 1

Not sure I will be able to get along to the festival yet - finances and other plans allowing or not. (what is the film you have playing there?).

Re Repulsion... I saw both that and Images for the first time in 1972, so not having been over exposed to SFX at that time, I found myself pretty immersed in Repulsion (especially the hallway scene with the groping hands)... also, considering Repulsion was made in 1965, the effects weren't too shabby - yes, not exactly Harryhausen, but still pretty ok ;-)

If you have time for a drink when you are here, let me know. Would be good to start connecting names with faces on this forum.

Ah, that's a bugger. Totally get you though. I probably won't be going along to much at MIFF, unless I get free tickets. It's a short film I produced earlier in the year. Quite female skewed, I suspect. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Yeah, I guess for the '60s it's okay, but I always had a problem with the groping hands. It reminded me of being in film school again. :P

Shall certainly let you know about that drink. I haven't even looked at which hotel they've booked us into yet. My old man lived in Sydney for a few years in the early 2000s. Haven't been back since, so I'm intrigued and vaguely looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Ah, that's a bugger. Totally get you though. I probably won't be going along to much at MIFF, unless I get free tickets. It's a short film I produced earlier in the year. Quite female skewed, I suspect. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Yeah, I guess for the '60s it's okay, but I always had a problem with the groping hands. It reminded me of being in film school again. :P

Shall certainly let you know about that drink. I haven't even looked at which hotel they've booked us into yet. My old man lived in Sydney for a few years in the early 2000s. Haven't been back since, so I'm intrigued and vaguely looking forward to it.

Well, I guess you could look at that as being due to the fact that film schools tried to adopt that as a standard wen the likes of Polanski, Bergman and Fellini were all de rigeur :)

Which film school by the way? I studied graphic art at Swinburne in the very early 70's and had some contact (more on a social level) with people in the Film & TV school - my only recollection of anything film related then in my studies, was some visiting "expert" talking to us on how they blue-screened everything in The Sound of Music... they sent just a camera crew to the alps to film the scenery; apparently not a single actor actually set foot in Austria (or Switzerland?).

As for me, I'm just a fan of film, so I'm not professing any knowledge on the technical aspects ;)

Well, I guess you could look at that as being due to the fact that film schools tried to adopt that as a standard wen the likes of Polanski, Bergman and Fellini were all de rigeur :)

Which film school by the way? I studied graphic art at Swinburne in the very early 70's and had some contact (more on a social level) with people in the Film & TV school - my only recollection of anything film related then in my studies, was some visiting "expert" talking to us on how they blue-screened everything in The Sound of Music... they sent just a camera crew to the alps to film the scenery; apparently not a single actor actually set foot in Austria (or Switzerland?).

As for me, I'm just a fan of film, so I'm not professing any knowledge on the technical aspects ;)

Bergman is genius and Polanski's done some beautiful work. Don't rate Fellini though. Prefer Bunuel. It's more the DIYness of those hands in the wall.

I went to Deakin, then did a couple of years as a production assistant, now I produce my own films - mostly docs.

Had no idea about the bluescreenness of TSOM. One of my favourites as a child. I would watch it religiously.

Some of the greats have been fans. Tarantino, Truffaut etc. You don't have to attend film school to know anything. Watching heaps of movies is education enough. They'll be those around the traps that can help with the technical aspects.

• 2 months later...

Just saw the movie LUCY.

dont waste your money,its krap

Going to see 100 foot journey next.

I finally got around to watching Ben Stiller's Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day and really enjoyed it... well written and well acted. And besides, just about anything with Shirley MacLaine and Sean Penn in it, cannot be bad!

One good thing about having young kids means I have an excuse to go and indulge in the occassional guilty pleasure... went and saw Godzilla (latest remake) recently and absolutely loved it and will go and see Guardians of the Galaxy in the next week or two.

Have to say though, that I am a sucker for Godzilla... having DVDs of every Godzilla and associated kaiju such as Baragon, Mecha Godzilla, King Ghidorah (and Mecha Ghidorah), Mothra and so on... I have roughly 45 of the TOHO films on DVD. The only dud was that appalling American effort in the 90's (or whenever it was).

Edited by hardtack

I finally got around to watching Ben Stiller's Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day and really enjoyed it... well written and well acted. And besides, just about anything with Shirley MacLaine and Sean Penn in it, cannot be bad!

One good thing about having young kids means I have an excuse to go and indulge in the occassional guilty pleasure... went and saw Godzilla (latest remake) recently and absolutely loved it and will go and see Guardians of the Galaxy in the next week or two.

Have to say though, that I am a sucker for Godzilla... having DVDs of every Godzilla and associated kaiju such as Baragon, Mecha Godzilla, King Ghidorah (and Mecha Ghidorah), Mothra and so on... I have roughly 45 of the TOHO films on DVD. The only dud was that appalling American effort in the 90's (or whenever it was).

I really enjoyed Walter Mitty too :)

Can't back you up on the latest Godzilla though. I thought it was aweful.

Also the adds heavily implied Bryan Cranston would be the lead. I was sorely disappointed.

Seeing Guardians tonight, can't wait :D

Edited by Choke

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Jazza. I saw the 100 Foot Journey last night and loved it. Done by the same crew who did Chocolat ( which I also loved).

It was a real feel good movie, set in a pretty French town with a great cast. Was foot tapping to the Bollywood music!!

They were showing previews for the sequel to 'The most exotic Marigold Hotel' which looks great.

Looking forward to Gone Girl next. I have just finished reading the book - a true thriller.

• Like 1

The other movie that I am excited about seeing is "Boyhood". It was shot over 12 years with the same cast and is basically about childhood. Apparently it is the only movie ever made over such a long period and has got rave reviews.

I am pleased to hear that there is going to be a sequel to "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". That is one of the few films I can watch over and over. The only other films that have made such an impression are "Intouchable", "Diva", "Monsoon Wedding", "Spirited Away" and "My Neighbour Totoro".

I'm now waiting on my Werner Herzog collection on blu ray to arrive (it finally shipped from Amazon in the UK after multiple delays in its release) and also Miyazaki's latest animation "The Wind Rises".

Took my sons to see "Guardians of the Galaxy" yesterday... what a hoot!! Absolutely loved it and is by far and away the best of all of the Marvel releases. Clever wit, great action and you even find yourself caring about the characters which for me was a little surprising.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

I have just been to see the new Woody Allen movie - "Magic in the Moonlight".

I really enjoyed it. Was witty, kind of cute and I enjoyed Colin Firth and Emma Stone's bantering. Whilst the age difference seemed a bit much from a romantic point of view, It was quite OK. Jackie Weaver also has a small role.

I was not a fan of Woody Allen's earlier movies but I did like "Midnight in Paris" and "Blue Jasmine" so I am warming to him.

Nice. How did the short go? I never saw The Raid, but they've released the sequel now, haven't they?

Having difficulties with the editor at the moment but the shoot went very well!

Recently saw the sequel to the Raid (The Raid 2: Berandal) and it's very good.

There's very little substance to the story of each movie but I haven't seen martial arts action sequences as brutal and physically impressive as these - both films are highly recommended though not for the squeamish or those who don't like foreign films with english subtitles (so much better than listening to stupid dubbed voices).

And I'm directing another short in three weeks! Hopefully the first will be finished soon and I can share it with the DL community.

Sin City 2

As good as the first, which i loved.

Looking forward to seeing that. I rate Rodriguez as Tarrantino's equal and find it very funny that he is able to create Spy Kids and films like Sin City, Desperado, Planet Terror etc without any difficulty in the transition at all... particularly the way he can have you looking at Danny Trejo (sp?) as pure evil one moment (the knife man in Desperado) and as the most gentle uncle you could imagine the next (Spy Kids). He's a very clever man!

Edited by hardtack

Looking forward to seeing that. I rate Rodriguez as Tarrantino's equal and find it very funny that he is able to create Spy Kids and films like Sin City, Desperado, Planet Terror etc without any difficulty in the transition at all... particularly the way he can have you looking at Danny Trejo (sp?) as pure evil one moment (the knife man in Desperado) and as the most gentle uncle you could imagine the next (Spy Kids). He's a very clever man!

Rourke is just sublime.

I saw both films within 48 hours of each other (sin City was on HBO Cable) it just rolls on seamlessly. Brilliant

Just saw Boyhood today and really enjoyed it. These used the same actors for 12 years and followed this boy Mason growing up from a six year old to an 18 year old. The cast were terrific - Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke played Masons parents. It was quite a deep and long movie ( nearly three hours) but I thought it was brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see The Equaliser last night with Denzel Washington. Apparently it was a series in the 1980's - I don't remember that. Basically he is a retired FBI agent trying to live the quiet life and takes on the Russian mafia.

I didn't mind it - it was very, very violent. I liked the story line and I thought Denzel Washington played the part well.

Off to see Gone Girl this week. I loved the book, couldn't put it down so I am really looking forward to the movie.

• Like 1

Went to see The Equaliser last night with Denzel Washington. Apparently it was a series in the 1980's - I don't remember that. Basically he is a retired FBI agent trying to live the quiet life and takes on the Russian mafia.

I didn't mind it - it was very, very violent. I liked the story line and I thought Denzel Washington played the part well.

Off to see Gone Girl this week. I loved the book, couldn't put it down so I am really looking forward to the movie.

I saw the trailer for The Equaliser - looked like a storyline that has been done to death but Denzel isn't in a lot of bad films, so I think I'll check it out.

I saw the trailer for The Equaliser - looked like a storyline that has been done to death but Denzel isn't in a lot of bad films, so I think I'll check it out.

Denzel Rocks.....Watch "The Fallen" again...what a classic!

Edited by why you little