Trade Brock McLean?

Don24

The biggest joke in football at the moment is putting the ball out in front of Brock McLean and expecting him to run onto it! I have seen hapless Demon players do this for two weeks running and the result is comical. My U/14 son could leave him for dead on the run. Is he injured? Must be... (take note of the kicking as well). Will he recover to be the medium slow player we remember in his first full year? I hope so. I'm ready to see him play for Casey as of three weeks ago, and I'm only being a realist! His lack of pace is the only embarrassment I have from today's clash.

He is slow. But after his pretty serious injury last year a huge pre - season awaits Brock at the end of this year. If he can stay injury free try and work on this area of his game and improve it to a half decent AFL standard I think he becomes a very valuable player. I think he is a far better player than N.Jones whose decision making and skills are no where near Brock's. He is a great clubman and someone who cannot be traded.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately agree! but I doubt you would ever get a top 10 pick for him...early to-mid 2nd round pick is all I would expect from the GC raiders (if they would even want Brock on their list)

Yep, trade him.. Lets get some players who can play, Kick, win the footy, & run all day, & play for the Jumper. Oh, hang on, maybe we should keep him... :blink:

Some blokes live in a dream world!

Lets trade Brock for a Judd!

Lets trade Miller for a Brown!

Lets trade Whelan for a Scarlett! Ain't gonna happen!

Get real dreamers! He is a great tough clubman and when he is surrounded by quality players he will be the solid backbone this club will build on.

All clubs need a mix of speed,strength,skill, etc if your too top heavy in one department it won't work.

Argh this is so frustrating. Are people seriously this stupid that they can not understand the concept of this topic? It really is painting the intelligence level of this group to be quite low.

For the FINAL TIME i will repeat.

THis thread IS NOT about Brock being too slow to be valuable or not up to it or someone who is not a valuable player. Quite the contrary, i proposed that he is a valuable player and as such would command a high value on the market place and is something that should be considered for the reasons i have stated. I think he is a better player than Jones and Moloney, as stated twice already, however he is our best chance to get another classy midfielder into the mix which we lack.

Anyway i figured that this forum was somewhere where you can discuss important real life practical issues relating to the club. Obviously i was wrong because about 60% of the responses have been nothing short of idiotic writing off the notion without even understanding it or giving it any thought.

Its embarrassing that so many people on here are supposedly "the true supporters of our club". I guess it does explain why we have the reputation of posh unknowledgeable supporters

Argh this is so frustrating. Are people seriously this stupid that they can not understand the concept of this topic? It really is painting the intelligence level of this group to be quite low.

THis thread IS NOT about Brock being too slow to be valuable or not up to it or someone who is not a valuable player. Quite the contrary, i proposed that he is a valuable player and as such would command a high value on the market place and is something that should be considered for the reasons i have stated. I think he is a better player than Jones and Moloney, as stated twice already, however he is our best chance to get another classy midfielder into the mix which we lack.

Anyway i figured that this forum was somewhere where you can discuss important real life practical issues relating to the club. Obviously i was wrong because about 60% of the responses have been nothing short of idiotic writing off the notion without even understanding it or giving it any thought.

Its embarrassing that so many people on here are supposedly "the true supporters of our club". I guess it does explain why we have the reputation of posh unknowledgeable supporters

Again I ask name one player in the a top 3 or 4 sides that he would replace?

Well name one player in the a top 3 or 4 sides that he would replace? absolutely none, the man is not a top midfielder in this comp.

I would say that Bulldogs would take him over Boyd for sure.

Passions might be a little high on this topic, considering a lot of people see this player as the next potential captain of the club (but you already knew this). So as "the true supporters of our club" do you blame them for getting their backs up and disagreeing with you (but being so clever you were ready for this)?

But why would you get rid of our best (slowest) midfielder,potential captain,clubman,leader,strongman on the off chance we might get a (Fast) midfielder in return.

Do you think trading him is worth the risk and will be more of more benefit for the club than keeping him?

What odds do you place on getting a better player than Brock in return?

Its funny how some supporters are so blinded and one eyed that they cant see any thing logically and are so quick to jump at any one who even comes close to insulting a MFC player.

For all those saying joke thread, re read what i wrote and not just the heading. I was not saying Brock is no good, i was not saying he is too slow to be a good player, i was not saying Jones is better than him. I made it clear i thought he was a good valuable player and it was for this very reason that he would make good trade bait because other clubs will also value him. More so than Jones and Moloney. Both of who would also be better players in a better team. My statement was we need more speed and class in the midfield and with GC coming in needing leadership and strong bodied senior players it was a good chance to capitalise.

If this is too much forward thinking for some supporters i apologise, i did not mean to confuse you with logical thinking. But i can assure you club staff and officials would be thinking of ways to capitalise on the GC now. I doubt they would be thinking its too early in the season to plan list management.

I stand by what I said still. I don't see why a team with McLean, Jones, Moloney, Blease, Davey, Scully, Morton & Grimes making up the midfield wouldn't be able to take it up to and beat most other midfields. Will have the right mixture of pace, toughness and skill needed.

I would say that Bulldogs would take him over Boyd for sure.

Bulldogs highly rate Boyd and frankly so do I.

But IMO Geelong would not miss a beat if Mclean replaced a Geelong Corey or a Kelly or even a Bartel or Hawks Lewis or Bulldogs Cross or Boyd.

Mclean will be a good to great player but IMO he is a Robin to someone's Batman.

Before you all castrate me, we need to think logically here.

For me, Brock is too slow and is too often getting caught and slowing us down in the midfield. I know injuries are not helping but he is still too slow. A premiership midfield can not carry too many of these players and we already have Jones and Moloney that play a similar role. Im not saying he is not good but he would be a valuable asset on the trading block, especially with Gold Coast coming in looking for some hard bodied midfielders to support their young list. A trade to GC could yield us a very high pick, id imagine getting a top 10 at the least for him. Which we could use to get some more class into the midfield.

Its just a though but hard decisions need to be made to get the right midfield mix and Jones Moloney and Brock are too similar. We need more class. Finishers.

Thoughts?

You have got to be joking! Brock is a required player who is young and tough. Born leader!

His heart beats red and blue through and through! Trade him you might as well trade the team.

I would just like to make three points:

1- McLean had 8 clearances today (that's one more than Moloney & Jones combined, and 4 more than Sam Mitchell). If we were to trade him, where are those 8 clearances going to come from? Our midfield is already struggling when it comes to getting first use of the footy. Take out McLean and we may as well shut up shop

2- McLean is worth more to us, than he is to other clubs. For the pick you'll get for him, you will most likely end up with an ordinary footballer, in what is an ordinary draft. To the MFC, McLean is an incredibly valuable asset, on and off the field

3- :rolleyes:

The midfield doesn't consist of 4 onballers, nor 3 centreline players. More likely a team needs about 10 mids capable of high quality inside & outside football for a team to become an elite side. Brocky is one of our tough inside workers who can also play high quality on the outside as well. When he gets over these niggles he's got he'll get back to his best.. In the mean time we're just gunna have to bide our time & recruit Scully & hopefully Butcher as well.

I have been thinking about this since the start of the season and after alot of thought I am convinced to

TRADE! TRADE! TRADE!

I love the guy but my supercoach team needs someone who can at least average over 100. He is averaging 85

and my midfield needs more. Only problem is I have lost nearly 60G on him to date and I aint getting that back.

Hes Gooooonnnnnneeeeee!!!!!!

Seriously though. What makes people think a guy of Brocks ability, ( and yes he is slow, so what! ) is compensated

by a second round draft pick, in a less than spectacular field of unproven youngsters. Cmon people, he may not be in

his best form to date but like it was said above, he will add even more value to our team when he is surrounded by a

bit of quality. Supercoach trade - YES, Real Life trade - BIG NO!

I would just like to make three points:

1- McLean had 8 clearances today (that's one more than Moloney & Jones combined, and 4 more than Sam Mitchell). If we were to trade him, where are those 8 clearances going to come from? Our midfield is already struggling when it comes to getting first use of the footy. Take out McLean and we may as well shut up shop

2- McLean is worth more to us, than he is to other clubs. For the pick you'll get for him, you will most likely end up with an ordinary footballer, in what is an ordinary draft. To the MFC, McLean is an incredibly valuable asset, on and off the field

3- :rolleyes:

Hey Jaded you need to update your tracker. Aren't you going to start it afresh again and have Rivers down for 1.0 games uninjured?

Plenty before Brock

You completely miss the point. One of the most frustrating thing is when supporters come on here and throw around names like Newton, Bell, Jamar and Wheatley as trades. You would have to pay other clubs to have these guys play elsewhere... such are their reputations in the AFL at the moment. The idea of trading Brock, and ANY player for that matter, is that in order to get something you have to offer something. This theory shows itself best when you consider the Trav trade. The lions top up well, we get Grimes, everyone wins... but mostly the price we got for him was worth the loss of him from our list. In this sense Brock would be VERY high on the list of potential trades at the club when you consider the value of him in the market.

Personally, I think what we'd get for him wouldn't warrant letting him go. He'll be a better player at MFC than anywhere else, and has shown tremendous loyalty. Unless it was a first rounder, there'd be no point in letting him go, so he stays.

Again I ask name one player in the a top 3 or 4 sides that he would replace?

Again i will say, my suggestion was to trade him to the gold coast, what does the top 3 or 4 sides have to do with it? But if you must know this information, id have him ahead of Gwilt and McQualter for saints, ahead of Morton for hawks but its irrelevant really......

You completely miss the point. One of the most frustrating thing is when supporters come on here and throw around names like Newton, Bell, Jamar and Wheatley as trades. You would have to pay other clubs to have these guys play elsewhere... such are their reputations in the AFL at the moment. The idea of trading Brock, and ANY player for that matter, is that in order to get something you have to offer something. This theory shows itself best when you consider the Trav trade. The lions top up well, we get Grimes, everyone wins... but mostly the price we got for him was worth the loss of him from our list. In this sense Brock would be VERY high on the list of potential trades at the club when you consider the value of him in the market.

Personally, I think what we'd get for him wouldn't warrant letting him go. He'll be a better player at MFC than anywhere else, and has shown tremendous loyalty. Unless it was a first rounder, there'd be no point in letting him go, so he stays.

Cheers Dapper Dan!! Finally someone has understood the concept of this discussion! Well said!