MITCH MORTON

LITTLE STINGA

Based on what evidence was he a culture problem at West Coast and again at Richmond?

Selfish and undisciplined on the field at both Clubs. Off field issues did not help at WCE.

His inabilty to abide by the team rules have already seen him dropped for disciplinary reasons at Richmond. His efforts against PA and subsequent reaction post match evidence that this continues.

Mitch Morton is a known problem. Worsfold wouldn't play him because it was poisonous to the team. It's not Wallace's fault that Morton is a [censored], but it is his fault for bringing Morton to his club.

We're developing a young team and Bailey is is developing a strong culture of competitive team oriented football. IMO, we wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Agree

Mitch Morton is that Russel Robertson type of forward, not key position and not a runner and to be honest I think his types are a dime a dozen.

Sylvia could easily play Robbo's role if needed. Bate is essentially the same sort of player as Morton.

I have to object to this line. No way in hell is Sylvia in Robbo's league. The type of forward may be a dime a dozen, but he's as good as this type get.

Selfish and undisciplined on the field at both Clubs. Off field issues did not help at WCE.

His inabilty to abide by the team rules have already seen him dropped for disciplinary reasons at Richmond. His efforts against PA and subsequent reaction post match evidence that this continues.

At the time of the trade from WCE to Richmond, it was clear that the eagles wanted to keep him. The tigers did well to get him for pick 35 - not sure whether he was out of contract or not at that stage.

The rumour is that he was dropped after the Sydney game for "not putting the team first", but again that has happened to many very good player including also Nick Dal Santo last year. While he made a bad mistake late in the game against Port Adelaide, he also racked up 17 possessions and kicked two goals - a reasonable return for a mid-sized forward.

If what was reported about post match on the weekend, he seems to me to have been a scapegoat by Wallace. I still haven't seen any compelling evidence from anyone that he is such a poisonous influence on a footy club that would mean you wouldn't seriously look at him if available. Certainly nothing to the extent of an Angwin for instance....

I didn't see the game against Port, just saw the highlight of him playing on and kicking it out on the full. What exactly happened after the match with him and Wallace?

At that instance, when he played on, there was approx. 1 minute 30 seconds left on the clock, with the tigers in front. What he should have done is follow team rules. He should have milked the clock for another 10 seconds or so and kicked to the top of the goal square for a contest - if there was nothing on in the Forward 50m. Instead he gave Port first use of the ball by an act of stupidity in playing on and kicking out of bounds. Incredible.

What was said after the match? Well it's been reported Wallet singled out Morton, during his spray. Words to the effect, "You've just cost me my career" ie Coaching Job.

He was quite within his rights to give Morton a bake, however those words are a bit rich considering they're 1 and 7.

At the time of the trade from WCE to Richmond, it was clear that the eagles wanted to keep him. The tigers did well to get him for pick 35 - not sure whether he was out of contract or not at that stage.

The rumour is that he was dropped after the Sydney game for "not putting the team first", but again that has happened to many very good player including also Nick Dal Santo last year. While he made a bad mistake late in the game against Port Adelaide, he also racked up 17 possessions and kicked two goals - a reasonable return for a mid-sized forward.

If what was reported about post match on the weekend, he seems to me to have been a scapegoat by Wallace. I still haven't seen any compelling evidence from anyone that he is such a poisonous influence on a footy club that would mean you wouldn't seriously look at him if available. Certainly nothing to the extent of an Angwin for instance....

Fair call. The issues of his selfishness have been over a number of games that have clearly infuriated the coaching staff. Its interesting that Eagles wanted to keep him but were prepared to fire sell him at pick 35 to Richmond. Talent wise Richmond got a good deal. The issue is the discipline and adherence to team rules. Morton has potential but certainly does not have the runs on the board that Del Santo does and acheived little in his career to date. Talented but selfish and undisciplined players are a dime a dozen. I think players that are not prepared to abide by the team plan and team rules are a negative on the playing group and coaching team. Over time if the player does not address this it can sow the seeds of disunity and disruption at a Club. And it does not have to be a social delinquent like Angwin to be a detriment to Club culture.

Fair call. The issues of his selfishness have been over a number of games that have clearly infuriated the coaching staff. Its interesting that Eagles wanted to keep him but were prepared to fire sell him at pick 35 to Richmond. Talent wise Richmond got a good deal. The issue is the discipline and adherence to team rules. Morton has potential but certainly does not have the runs on the board that Del Santo does and acheived little in his career to date. Talented but selfish and undisciplined players are a dime a dozen. I think players that are not prepared to abide by the team plan and team rules are a negative on the playing group and coaching team. Over time if the player does not address this it can sow the seeds of disunity and disruption at a Club. And it does not have to be a social delinquent like Angwin to be a detriment to Club culture.

I accept that, particularly re Dal Santo. Had genuinely hoped (and I think written on this site) that we would make a serious play to recruit him which unfortunately never eventuated.

I don't agree that Mitch Morton is necessarily a poisonous influence and incorrigible at age 22 however. The silence regarding the negative aspects of his behaviour last year tells us more than a Wallace rant at 1-7 in 2009 in my view.

It would be fair to say, I think, that he has hardly been at the two most stable clubs in the AFL in his formative football years.

Sorry have not read the entire set of posts. But you cannot count Morton's last mistake as costing the tigers the game. How many mistakes would there have been during the game? SCAPEGOAT IS POOR MORTON AT THIS MOMENT. Mitch would be a brilliant pick up by the dees, too any team.

Every team will always use a scapegoat to hide the real problems, who do we use? Newton, Sylvia or the AFL draw.

Sorry have not read the entire set of posts. But you cannot count Morton's last mistake as costing the tigers the game. How many mistakes would there have been during the game? SCAPEGOAT IS POOR MORTON AT THIS MOMENT. Mitch would be a brilliant pick up by the dees, too any team.

Every team will always use a scapegoat to hide the real problems, who do we use? Newton, Sylvia or the AFL draw.

Then why do you post such rubbish!! No one here has scapegoated him at all.

There were only 2 Richmond players that the MFC recroited that were any good.

Laurie Fowler & Ricky Jackson.

(Honourable mention to Mark Jackson-A friutcake but could play)

Laurie Fowler was the only player we got from Richmond that served the demons with distinction

Rest were ordinary (Ben Holland , Craig McKellar , Blair Campbell , Cameron Clayton , Michael Pickering from memory)