Tennis Anyone?

45HG

Anyone know what these guys shoes are worth?

Such an important part of the armoury, but never mentioned...

Probably a bit more than my "Dunlop Volleys" .

I think Rod Laver wore the Volleys during his career .

Good match so far hey ?

Edited by Macca

I couldn't stay up and watch it, given I had to be at work very early this morning, but I am devestated that Nadal lost to that arrogant [censored].

But, now that the tennis is over, we are only weeks away from the return of the only sport I truly care about!

Edited by Jaded

I couldn't stay up and watch it, given I had to be at work very early this morning, but I am devestated that Nadal lost to that arrogant [censored].

Overcome your bias and see the match for what it was. It's already being listed on a lot of media as one of the five greatest matches of all time. Better than Ivanisevic v Rafter, which is one other outstanding match I'll always remember. Also get over the Djokovic hate. He is eccentric, funny and just a wierd dude, but now an amazing tennis player.

So don't confuse his passion with arrogance. There's some history to his chest-beating reaction on winning because he has been variously called mentally and physically weak in the past.

He also has breathing difficulties with some asthma-like stuff, allergies that he has overcome, and he got to the championship by beating Ferrer (#5), Murray (#4) and Nadal (#2), the last two in five-set marathons lasting over 10 hours total. It was by no means an easy ride.

I never said anything about the match not being great, or him not being a great player. I just dislike his attitude (and his super annoying girlfriend who needs to just sit the hell down), and I wanted Rafa to win.

Rafa had to overcome a knee injury early on and still made it to the final, so credit to him too.

I just dislike his attitude (and his super annoying girlfriend who needs to just sit the hell down)

That's not Novak's fault. It's Channel 7's for showing it so much. I got sick of them showing that stupid little girl waving the Spanish flag too. And Uncle what's his name. And both player boxes all the time.

When is or was Novak arrogant...Both he & Nadal were absolute Gentlemen last night, and obviously both respect and like each other a lot. Their end of game speeches were gacious and a breath of fresh air TBH.

Novak's Girl is an absolute doll, she can stand up anytime!

Edited by why you little

But, now that the tennis is over, we are only weeks away from the return of the only sport I truly care about!

Absolutely.

That's not Novak's fault. It's Channel 7's for showing it so much. I got sick of them showing that stupid little girl waving the Spanish flag too. And Uncle what's his name. And both player boxes all the time.

Uncle Tony.

Still a little blurry eyed today, but I'm pleased to have witnessed it on the box.

I think many perceive Novak as arrogant. He's different but I don't think arrogant is accurate. Certainly in all his interviews he comes accross as gracious, humbling and polite. I think it's his battle persona on the court that gets misconstrued. Rafa has a similar persona after winning the big points as Djokovic does. They both have gone to ground, fists pumped and all look to their respective boxes for support.

Bit harsh on the stupid little girl, maurie, annoying as she was. She's young and excited and probably a family member.

Me too HT. Nadal has it in the bag I reckon.

The hypochondriac is in trouble right now v Murray, I'm hoping it goes 5 for entertainments sake. I think Rafa has these 2 covered on Sunday though. I hope so anyway.

I was wrong. What a game. Thought he had it in the 5th. Goes to show what a competitor Djokovic really is.

I think Roger is the only one they ever show in a pic without his mouth agape. I didn't know Novak or Rafa could actually open their mouths that wide. Horrible vision.

No problems with the stupid little girl, just the amount of times they showed her, that goes for any WAG or groupie.

Agree with you about Djokovic. I don't know what his 'attitude' is that is so bad. I'd sooner him than Hewitt, and if you were around when McEnroe was playing you'd think Novak is an angel..

Edited by maurie

It was the greatest final ever, that long with that high skill level? There have been none better.

My problem with Djokovic is the way he shows no ill effects whilst winning, as soon as someone is pushing him, suddenly he can't breathe or some other ailment is bringing him down to their level. Just suck it up and get on with it.

I'll admit he won me over a bit last night. That was just an epic event, 2 blokes that refused to give up, and to beat Rafa at that game is really something.

Agree on McEnroe.

How is the head-to-head battles. Federer has won 16 slams, Rafa 10, Djokovic 5. Yet Rafa has the wood on Federer in Grand Slams and Djokovic has the wood over Nadal in finals (something like the last 7 on end). Amazing. Poor Murray ... for now.

Djokovic over Nadal the last three grand slam finals... .

If Australians hope for Tomic to be World #1 in the future then he is a mile off at the moment.

What was presented last night was scary and awesome? i agree the Serbian is not arrogant.

And FWIW, all the fussing over the women screaming/howling, does the mens grunting also qualify?

And FWIW, all the fussing over the women screaming/howling, does the mens grunting also qualify?

Fair point, but at least they don't scream as soon as they hit a first serve.

The men were battling hard out there. If they want to grunt occassionally, so be it. It doesn't really distract me to be honest.

They actually do often grunt and make a loud audible sound when they serve. Its not high pitched. Notwithstanding the extreme quality of the play, many of the rallies with great shots were a case of grunt 1 vs grunt 2.

What I meant was, it's not "I'm about to hit a ball for the first time in two days, and I'm so exhausted I must screetch".

For some reason their grunts seemed in direct correlation to their exhaustion level, as opposed to the women who just always strike me as yelling to distract their opponent from listening to the pace and drop of the ball. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

I've never taken the time to see them hit balls in the warm up or on the practice court. Do they screech then ?

Personally I think it's embarrassing for them that they screech (aar-haaaarrrr !!) when it's the first point of a match.

Regarding the men's grunt, do they really grunt ? I didn't really notice it until the 5th when both players were out on their feet from exhaustion.

Federer is stealth like, cool as a cucumber. I can't imagine him ever grunting with the exception of in the cubicle once in a blue moon.

Federer doesnt make an audible sound, but Nadal and Novak did. While I understand the extreme exertion of the combatants if they ban the screech for the women then dont they have to ban to grunt for the guys?? I am thinking there will be an official with a decibel meter that puts his hand up at any time during a point that a screech or grunt gets above XX dbs. Its a hard law to frame and hard to police.