Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

I thought Gambir's appeal was going to be successful, going by past instances.

Good to see the decision upheld

Just as we thought the ICC had beaten the BCCI:

India may play banned opener Gautam Gambhir against Australia

India's complaining that the decision was made without a proper hearing and without taking evidence from Gambhir. The judge just used the footage as enough evidence to charge him. Let's hope the ICC stands up to the BCCI.

Yeah, was going to post something about this last night but was more interested in the election.

Seems ridiculous to me, really childish stuff. They should ban him for two matches now

Just as we thought the ICC had beaten the BCCI:

India may play banned opener Gautam Gambhir against Australia

India's complaining that the decision was made without a proper hearing and without taking evidence from Gambhir. The judge just used the footage as enough evidence to charge him. Let's hope the ICC stands up to the BCCI.

Cricket's governing bodies are turning the game into a joke, moreso because they consistently fall prey to the almighty dollar. The Indian Cricket Board appear hell bent on taking over world cricket on their terms. There's only one acceptable outcome for this, and that is for the ICC to stand firm and not let Gambhir play after it has suspended him, if they allow India to play then the game is in danger of suffering a schism that will split the cricketing world in two.

India's stance is both provocative and disturbing similar to their audacious and unsportsmanlike support for the rogue Harbijan.

This does not shy away from the debacle the Australians have made in selecting the Indian tour party and the Test teams chosen. Why they selected Krejza to tour when they weren't going to select him is puzzling? Also the Test selection of Cameron White as a no 8 batsman and a part time spinner is baffling? Where is Beau Casson? Why did they "force" Brad Hogg to retire last season?

Its unbelievable that we could have been undertaking a tour of India without a recognised spinner.

If we are to have any hope in this Test then we need to win the toss, bat and hit 550+ then two or more of the bowlers needs to have a day out. Here's hoping!

i hope they name him to play. i really do. and i hope the ICC comes down hard on them, and makes them forfiet the test leaving the series as a 1-1 draw.

world cricket needs someone to step in and take a hard line. harbajan should not have got off last year, the BCCI thinks it owns the world, and too much power rests with them, and the other sub continental nations they support.

India's stance is both provocative and disturbing similar to their audacious and unsportsmanlike support for the rogue Harbijan.

This does not shy away from the debacle the Australians have made in selecting the Indian tour party and the Test teams chosen. Why they selected Krejza to tour when they weren't going to select him is puzzling? Also the Test selection of Cameron White as a no 8 batsman and a part time spinner is baffling? Where is Beau Casson? Why did they "force" Brad Hogg to retire last season?

Its unbelievable that we could have been undertaking a tour of India without a recognised spinner.

If we are to have any hope in this Test then we need to win the toss, bat and hit 550+ then two or more of the bowlers needs to have a day out. Here's hoping!

Good point about Brad Hogg.

India's stance is ridiculously unbelievable. It's time the ICC made a stand. If Gambhir takes to the crease, Ponting should bring it to the umpires attention first. It the umpire decides to play on and let the ICC deal with it. The ICC needs to be strong here and make the correct decision for the games sake. India's stance is further eveidence of unsportsmanlike behaviour and is definitely not in the spirit of cricket. The decision was handed down by the match referee, they should abide by the rules of the game.

Match is just about to start. Ponting called the toss incorrectly, so Dhoni chose to bat first. That almost automatically rules out an Australian win.

More importantly, though, Krejza is playing! Stuart Clark has been dropped, Cameron White retains his spot. Obviously the selectors want batting down to 8, but know we need another spin bowler. Clark isn't damaging enough, and we already have Lee, Johnson and Watson in the pace department, so I'm fine with Clark out instead of White.

Gambhir isn't playing. Murali Vijay will open with Sehwag.

I'm predicting a draw, considering that India don't need to push for a win.

Match is just about to start. Ponting called the toss incorrectly, so Dhoni chose to bat first. That almost automatically rules out an Australian win.

More importantly, though, Krejza is playing! Stuart Clark has been dropped, Cameron White retains his spot. Obviously the selectors want batting down to 8, but know we need another spin bowler. Clark isn't damaging enough, and we already have Lee, Johnson and Watson in the pace department, so I'm fine with Clark out instead of White.

Gambhir isn't playing. Murali Vijay will open with Sehwag.

I'm predicting a draw, considering that India don't need to push for a win.

Gambhir out, that is a relief.

Good to see Krejza playing. Happy with his selection. We need runs and more runs, and we need one or two bowlers to take a bag full of wickets. Fingers crossed.

Good to see Krejza playing. Happy with his selection. We need runs and more runs, and we need one or two bowlers to take a bag full of wickets. Fingers crossed.

Absolute disaster is Krejza. I was hopeful, but look at this: 3 overs, 32 runs. Sehwag just doesn't respect him at all. Both batsmen are smashing him all over the place, and take singles with ease.

17 overs, India 0/96. Still 30 minutes until lunch.

Edit: How things change. 2 more overs, 2 wickets fall, including Dravid to Krejza. 2/99.

Quite an unbelievable start to this match. At lunch India is 3/122, Krejza having first being belted all over the place, but then the wicket of Dravid seemed to give him confidence, and he then bowled Sehwag.

That's what we needed. Obviously we'd prefer not to have to concede so many runs, but at least Krejza is taking wickets. And we need wickets.

I'd go so far as to say we levelled the session, especially considering where it could have gone. But there's still the small matters of Tendulkar and Laxman, who we couldn't get out in the last test. And also Ganguly and Dhoni.

he didnt bowl poorly at any stage. it appears the indians were intent on hitting him out of the attack.

now that we have them three for we relaly need to push hard and try and have them 5-6 down by the end of the day. if thats the case we are a chance, but if they are 3 for 300 we probably wont win.

he didnt bowl poorly at any stage. it appears the indians were intent on hitting him out of the attack.

now that we have them three for we relaly need to push hard and try and have them 5-6 down by the end of the day. if thats the case we are a chance, but if they are 3 for 300 we probably wont win.

I agree. I'm not a fan of offspin in general, because besides the chuckers in the game, most of them bowl far too flat and are worried about saving runs rather than taking wickets. At lest Krazy is giving the ball flight and he's actually bowling well. It's a pity McGain was injured, but the overall selection of the team reflects the steadfast conservatism of the selectors, at least the kid got one test match. Johnson and Lee bowling together is a worry, both are quick, but bleed runs, we need a paceman to keep it tight. Watson has been a pleasant surprise this tour.

Thankfully the Indian Cricket Board backed down, cricket is the winner, it doesn't matter that you don't like the umpire's call, when you gotta go, you gotta go!

Correct. The indians wanted to unsettle him early, perhaps damage his confidence.

5/311 at stumps. Would of preferred perhaps Dhoni's wicket before stumps were drawn. Tomorrows first session is now critical if the Aussies were to make inroads for a win in this test.

Tendulkar's wicket by Mitchell Johnson was a pearler, Billy Bowden made a good correct decision for lbw. It was taking middle, with height the only issue, but he got it right after all. Hawkeye supported his decision. Good on him. Good umpire. The wicket was very important in the scheme of things, Ponting however would of hoped Brett Lee hadn't dropped him earlier, but it was a tough chance for a catch, running back with the flight. Still, we have seen them take those chances before.

Overall evenly poised it would seem, but India do have the runs on the board with 311. I'd put India in front at this stage. Early wickets tomorrow morning of Ganguly and Dhoni will ensure a swing of the pendulum Australia's way.

Correct. The indians wanted to unsettle him early, perhaps damage his confidence.

5/311 at stumps. Would of preferred perhaps Dhoni's wicket before stumps were drawn. Tomorrows first session is now critical if the Aussies were to make inroads for a win in this test.

Tendulkar's wicket by Mitchell Johnson was a pearler, Billy Bowden made a good correct decision for lbw. It was taking middle, with height the only issue, but he got it right after all. Hawkeye supported his decision. Good on him. Good umpire. The wicket was very important in the scheme of things, Ponting however would of hoped Brett Lee hadn't dropped him earlier, but it was a tough chance for a catch, running back with the flight. Still, we have seen them take those chances before.

Overall evenly poised it would seem, but India do have the runs on the board with 311. I'd put India in front at this stage. Early wickets tomorrow morning of Ganguly and Dhoni will ensure a swing of the pendulum Australia's way.

We absolutely must get them out for less than 400. I have a real fear of how we will handle Harbi on this pitch, unfortunately we don't play offspin very well and the pitch is doing enough already to suggest he'll really trouble our middle order. I'm ambivalent about Lee, his best figures in test cricket are five for and he really is the weak link in the pace attack imo. He seems like a genuinely nice bloke, but he's only bowling in the 130s and isn't troubling any of the batsmen at all. He also takes an eternity to bowl his overs and doesn't really move the ball in the air or off the deck. He'll be safe for a while, because even Merv could come out of retirement and take wickets against New Zealand.

We absolutely must get them out for less than 400. I have a real fear of how we will handle Harbi on this pitch, unfortunately we don't play offspin very well and the pitch is doing enough already to suggest he'll really trouble our middle order. I'm ambivalent about Lee, his best figures in test cricket are five for and he really is the weak link in the pace attack imo. He seems like a genuinely nice bloke, but he's only bowling in the 130s and isn't troubling any of the batsmen at all. He also takes an eternity to bowl his overs and doesn't really move the ball in the air or off the deck. He'll be safe for a while, because even Merv could come out of retirement and take wickets against New Zealand.

Thought the same thing, India out by lunch or under 400. I am not sure from what I have seen that Australian bowlers have it in them. The only bright spark is the Indians seemed to lack proper concentration to the task. Aside from Dravid who IMO is finished at Test level. The retirement of Ganguly, Kumble and the historonics over Gambhir may be taking their toll.

FWIW, I did not think Sharma and Zaheer bowled well in the last test and this pitch aint for them. Sharma should be remembering to that he "lost" the last test with that dropped catches. Is Harbijan fit?

Brett Lee has never risen to level many Australians had hoped for. Has his moments but he has relied on blast them out tactics for too long, is not the smartest quick bowler and lacks the ability to consistently swing the ball. Where is he at now?

Ponting however would of hoped Brett Lee hadn't dropped him earlier, but it was a tough chance for a catch, running back with the flight. Still, we have seen them take those chances before.

Johnson dropped him too, and his catch was much easier and should have been taken. But at least we got him out.

As for the score, I'd put us in front only because they were 0/98 after 17 overs or so. To take 5 for 220 odd from where they were I think is a positive. But the work's not finished yet.

Definitely gotta get them out for less than 400. If we can get Dhoni before he gets going that'll be a good chance of happening.

As for Lee, I think he struggles on these Indian pitches. Hopefully he'll improve in Australia over the summer (but you're right, he's going to take plenty of wickets against NZ regardless of how well he bowls).

Bugger. No early dismissals at 5/367 and Dhoni is amongst the runs. India is definitely in a stronger position now. Dhoni 37 Not Out, Ganguly 49 Not Out.

We need a collapse of wickets; need a miracle really on that deck.

Ganguly and Dhoni having no problem scoring runs off Lee, Johnson and Krejza. Watson's doing better in the runs department, but he's bowling consistently outside off stump and they're leaving him. So, not only are we leaking runs, but we're not at all dangerous. I think we've beaten the bat once in this session. If we don't get a wicket before lunch, it will be 2 wickets in the last 3 sessions.

441. Krezja taking 8!

Look what happens when you play a spinner! 8-215. 3-4 Last 2 overs, 5-19 at the end. Big finish! Game on!

Mind you, doubt we'll bat well on this pitch though

I'm not sure about that. In my opinion the pitch has played alright, a litle up and down occassionally, and it has spun. I don't think the fast bowlers will threaten, and it will come down to Mishra and Harbajan for the indians. sehwag will probably get a good trundle as well.

actually its not a surprise that harbajan has opened the bowling, and that khan has gone for a few runs the first over. It will be interesting to see if we try similar tactics of trying to hit an indian spinner out of the attack.

it will not surprise me if hayden makes a hundred this innings. i havnt watched him bat today, but he is due.

What was Hayden thinking when he took that run? :huh:

Kreja should be congratulated for his perseverence and performance. 8 wickets on debut. However, at 3/195 he was looking out of his depth and despite the two catches dropped offf rash strokes from Tendulkar, he had been dominated by the bats and got three fortuitous wickets through poor batting. Indeed at 5/404, India will lament they could not and did not put the Australias to the sword.

The collapse started by Ganguly and Dhoni was through lazy cricket shots. He may have been pounded at times but was certainly given some lifelines by indiscreet Indian batting.

This will surely beg the question "Why wasn't he picked sooner?" Then again if his figures were 3/200+ the question would then be didnt we have anyone better in Australia? Funny game cricket.

Best Figures on Debut

Best figures in a innings on debut

Player Overs Mdns Runs Wkts Econ Team Opposition Ground Match Date Scorecard

AE Trott 27.0 10 43 8 1.59 Australia v England Adelaide 11 Jan 1895 Test # 44

RAL Massie 27.2 9 53 8 1.93 Australia v England Lord's 22 Jun 1972 Test # 699

ND Hirwani 18.3 3 61 8 3.29 India v West Indies Chennai 11 Jan 1988 Test # 1089

L Klusener 21.3 4 64 8 2.97 South Africa v India Kolkata 27 Nov 1996 Test # 1341

ND Hirwani 15.2 3 75 8 4.89 India v West Indies Chennai 11 Jan 1988 Test # 1089

RAL Massie 32.5 7 84 8 2.55 Australia v England Lord's 22 Jun 1972 Test # 699

AL Valentine 50.0 14 104 8 2.08 West Indies v England Manchester 8 Jun 1950 Test # 323

JJ Krejza 43.5 1 215 8 4.90 Australia v India Nagpur 6 Nov 2008 Test # 1892

cric info stats? lol

cant believe hayden, what a waste, he was looking good too.

i think the fact that he went for so many runs justified him not having a spot up til now. the reason he was successful is because he kept attacking and tossing it up. honestly, i think clark or kattich could have done similar, but they quickly went into trying to contain batsmen when they got hit.

what i have found the most interesting through this series is the way that india have batted. they have lost wickets through arrogant and lazy shots when they looked like being on top, but the most interesting thing has been the old 'where theres one, theres two'. india have dominated for large periods of time and it is as if everyone but the two batting have switched right off, causing a couple of wickets to fall at a time.

contrast that with australias innings in the 3rd test, where everyone made a few runs and contributed...india have often had lots of contributors, but have sometimes even lost the two set batsmen at the same time. very odd...