Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Surely Stuart Broad should be fined after this test for not playing in the spirit of the game, if that's even an option of the match referee?

First the not walking incident, then the blatant slow over approaching lunch to try and get the team off the field so they can re-group. This guy is a dead set [censored]!

... they may have registered a win in the books, but they have given themselves & their countries image a major Black Eye.

its a disgrace & totally spoilt a great contest, & we should have won it, with broads extra runs with the bat & the altering the flow of the game, via not walking & with the ball...

... we on the other hand, maybe should have pushed on a bit with the scoring, with agar & haddin at the wicket,,, putting more pressure on the poms.

I feel disgusted, & disappointed at the proceedings & with that last video ref decision, as the ball already had the hotspot on it, prior to passing the Bat, & the hotspot on the bat was so insignificant, it was to me, too Inconclusive,,,, so I expected benefit of the doubt to the batsmen.. play on your honour.

Could you say, conclusively, that he hit it? It's a bad way to end a great match.

thats exactly what I thought as well... & while the video ref was adjudicating, my video recorder switched channels on me... when I got back onto station, expecting a non decision, Haddin was given.

I immediately switched off & went to sleep.

thats exactly what I thought as well... & while the video ref was adjudicating, my video recorder switched channels on me... when I got back onto station, expecting a non decision, Haddin was given.

I immediately switched off & went to sleep.

Broad is not the only "cheat" to have stood his ground after obviously hitting the ball.. But a cheating pattern is emerging with that guy...he is becoming a bit of a devious sleezy cricketer.. He was also the player who decided to take off his boot and pull the innersole out , then readjust it and proceed to slowly re tie his laces 2 minutes before the belated luncheon break , in order to deliberately waste time when Australia was on an obvious roll, being only 20 runs off winning the game at that stage.. (the weak umpires did nothing to stop this unsportsmanlike act and should be condemned) The luncheon break most assuredly allowed England's no. 1 strike bowler, James Anderson to rest up during the 40 minute lunch interval as he was almost completely " spent" (and cramping) at that vital time in the game.. Result.... out comes Anderson after lunch , refreshed and ready to go again. He then proceeded to take the wicket of Haddin compliments of Hawk eye. I would suggest they dispense with human umpires in future and play matches with electronic only decision makers. All decisions could then be given by the "turd" umpire.. Doesn't matter how long it may take to confirm a no ball etc as the time wasted could not be longer than Broad's boot changing episode from yesterday....

That's it.

England 1st Innings 215

J. Trott 48

P. Siddle 5/50 (14)

Australia 1st Innings 280

A. Agar 98

J. Anderson 5/85 (24)

England 2nd Innings 375

I. Bell 109

M. Starc 3/81 (32)

Australia 2nd Innings 296 (Target 311)

B. Haddin 71

J. Anderson 5/73 (31.4)

What can you say, but it had to end with DRS didn't it! Wouldn't be suprised if Australia opt out of DRS after this match.

Great effort Australia and you've shown more fight then England ever did from 1989 - 2004.

Lords starts on Thursday night nowm and if there's one change I'd make funily enough it wouldn't be any of the batsmen, but Jackson Bird must play at Lords! Bowl him from Glenn McGrath end where he bowled down that slop bowling line and length and wrecked havoc. Bird's our modern day McGrath so I'd take a horses for course approach (not rotation) and bring Bird in for one of Pattinson or Starc.

... what about Cowan for Smith (I'd love Punter back in)...

James Faulkner/Bird? 4 pacemen, + alrounders?

Warner back, into the middle order, after the 2nd test??? get a move on Hughes...

Australia

Shane Watson

Chris Rogers

Ed CowanSteven Smith???

Michael Clarke ©

Philip Hughes

Steven Smith???Brad Haddin (W)

Brad Haddin (W)Ashton Agar

Peter Siddle

James PattinsonJames Faulkner

Mitchell StarcJames Pattinson

Ashton AgarMitchell Starc

??????????????

this is not just about the 2nd test, or this series, but consolidating the team for the back to back Ashes series... we have to get the team settled.

what do you think TD ?

Edited by dee-luded

Broad is not the only "cheat" to have stood his ground after obviously hitting the ball.. But a cheating pattern is emerging with that guy...he is becoming a bit of a devious sleezy cricketer.. He was also the player who decided to take off his boot and pull the innersole out , then readjust it and proceed to slowly re tie his laces 2 minutes before the belated luncheon break , in order to deliberately waste time when Australia was on an obvious roll, being only 20 runs off winning the game at that stage.. (the weak umpires did nothing to stop this unsportsmanlike act and should be condemned) The luncheon break most assuredly allowed England's no. 1 strike bowler, James Anderson to rest up during the 40 minute lunch interval as he was almost completely " spent" (and cramping) at that vital time in the game.. Result.... out comes Anderson after lunch , refreshed and ready to go again. He then proceeded to take the wicket of Haddin compliments of Hawk eye. I would suggest they dispense with human umpires in future and play matches with electronic only decision makers. All decisions could then be given by the "turd" umpire.. Doesn't matter how long it may take to confirm a no ball etc as the time wasted could not be longer than Broad's boot changing episode from yesterday....

I understand standing your ground was common in the past... but since we have this video ref & other moral changes around the world, it looked really blatant & he stood there after a solid nick & watched the keeper glove it cleanly... then just stood... bad for the game...

the video ref IMO, should be keeping tabs on all umpiring decisions 'Live', & if there is one that looks 'OFF',,, the 3rd Ump should immediately put a red light on,,, up in the scoreboard, halting proceedings, whilst he checks it out, live on the scoreboard screen... not up to either team to challenge.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

wondering if anybody knows whether the batsman can ask for the extra half hour tacked onto, a session

and if the answer is yes , then why didn't they

something tells meTD will know the legalities of that

Edited by jazza

... what about Cowan for Smith (I'd love Punter back in)...

James Faulkner/Bird? 4 pacemen, + alrounders?

Warner back, into the middle order, after the 2nd test??? get a move on Hughes...

Australia

Shane Watson

Chris Rogers

Ed CowanSteven Smith???

Michael Clarke ©

Philip Hughes

Steven Smith???Brad Haddin (W)

Brad Haddin (W)Ashton Agar

Peter Siddle

James PattinsonJames Faulkner

Mitchell StarcJames Pattinson

Ashton AgarMitchell Starc

??????????????

this is not just about the 2nd test, or this series, but consolidating the team for the back to back Ashes series... we have to get the team settled.

what do you think TD ?

It is a difficult one deciding what our best line up is going forward for the next 9 tests, especially with our batting line up.

Our bowlers are pretty set, especially with the quicks. Pattinson & Siddle are probably the first two picked at this point in time with the likes of Starc, Harris, Bird and hopefully by the time the Ashes heads down under, Cummins to be puching for the 3rd seamers spot.

Agar will be given every opportunity, as well as he should to cement himself in the team. A lot to work with young Ashton, apart from his great lower order batting the kid has very good control with his bowling and he seems a pretty reasonable fielder also. That leaves Nathan Lyon and Fawad Ahmed waiting in the wings in case of injury or poor form, which could happen with a player so young.

Haddin's will play all of the 10 Ashes test due to his experience. He may well move on after the Sydney test for one of Wade or Paine, but he showed his value last night.

Rogers & Watson looked pretty solid at the top of the order so I reckon you can pencil those two in for now, and we know one of the 4 middle order spots goes to Clarke. Don't expect any changes in the batting department for the 2nd test however as the selectors wont want to bring Khawaja in for one test with the risk of then having to then drop him after one for Warner if Warner makes runs in the interim in Africa with Australia A. For those reasons I'd expect the batting line up to stay the same. The biggest move you may see is Clarke back to 5 with one of Hughes/Smith to bat at 4 and the other at 6.

So for the batsmen going forward you'll have Rogers/Watson at the top. Clarke and Warner will be two of the middle order batsmen with Hughes/Smith/Khawaja to fight out for the other two spots for the last 3 tests (Cowan will get dropped after Lords IMO). One of Hughs or Khawaja will bat at 3 and Smith at 4. I know you listed him at 3 dee-luded, but I've never seen him bat any higher then 4 outsie of T20 while both Hughes & Khawaja bat at the top of the order for their states. By the time the series gets to Australia though, hopefully the likes of Burns and Maddinson may start to put the pressure on with big runs in Shield cricket, but they're both long term projects at this stage I reckon, where as the likes of Alex Doolan, I reckon would just be another Cowan at the top level.

The only player from our squad that I haven't mentioned is Faulkner, who i reckon is there as the emergency all rounder in case Watson misses a test through injury. If that were to happen, expect to see Hughes or Warner open with Rogers, Haddin up to 6 and Faulkner in at 7. First class batting average of 29 and bowling average of 23. He's got a lot of potential Faulkner. If only he could boost his batting average by 5-10 runs, he'd go close to overtaking Watson IMO.

So dee-luded, for mine, my 2nd Test XI would be

Rogers

Watson

Cowan (last chance)

Smith

Clarke*

Hughes

+Haddin

Agar

Siddle

Pattinson

Bird

Starc 12th man (unluckily)

Warners couple of games in Africa with Australia A and Khawaja's tour game with Australia before the 3rd test will determine who comes in for Cowan. You'd have to expect Warner will be given first crack, meaning for the 3rd test Hughes bats at 3, Smith at 4, Clarke 5 and Warner 6.

wondering if anybody knows whether the batsman can ask for the extra half hour tacked onto, a session

and if the answer is yes , then why didn't they

something tells meTD will know the legalities of that

They actually had already gone 30 min over for the session jazza seeing as Australia were 9 down and the umpires though the math could finish in that time.

Can't remeber what the exact rule is, but to my understanding an umpire can't extend a session by anymore then 30min.

It was a shame though that they had to go to lunch when they did, as it certainly robbed us of some of our momentum.

Edited by Tall Defence

thought if bowling team could ask for IT then maybe batting team could also

thought if bowling team could ask for IT then maybe batting team could also

First come first serve kind of basis. If the sessions already been extended for one reason, it can't then be further extended for the same reason even though it's the other side.

What's also of interest is what the make up of Englands team will be for the 2nd test?

Two things are very clear about their XI after that first test. Well three if you include that Broad's a [censored]!

1. Steven Finn gives them nothing, and if you look at the amount of overs he bowled compared to the other bowlers, it's aparant that Cook has no confidence in him.

2. They rely on Anderson with the ball about as much as we do Clarke with the bat and he needs more support.

So apart from the what you'd think would be obvious change of Finn out for another bowler (both Bresnan & Onions were in their squad for the 1st Test). Will they make a 2nd change and bring ina 5th bowling option probably at the expense of Bairstow who's only averaging 30.23 after 9 tests. Those are Ed Cowan type numbers! When you consider that Tim Bresnan has a batting average of 31.28 and both Broad and Swann are handy with the bat, you could see a situation of Finn & Bairstow out with Bresnan & one of either Onions or Panesar (if they want 2 spinners) in.

Would give them an XI of:

Cook*

Root

Trott

Pietersen

Bell

+Prior

Bresnan

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Onions or Panesar

Will be interesting to see....

bat first at lords , forget runs just BAT as long as possible and weaken their bowlers for last 3 tests

just keep getting overs into swan and Anderson.a draw will suit us and get an advantage in tests 3,4,5

personally I don't think we have batsmen capable of batting for 2 days, and theres the difference between the teams

• Like 1

What's also of interest is what the make up of Englands team will be for the 2nd test?

Two things are very clear about their XI after that first test. Well three if you include that Broad's a [censored]!

1. Steven Finn gives them nothing, and if you look at the amount of overs he bowled compared to the other bowlers, it's aparant that Cook has no confidence in him.

2. They rely on Anderson with the ball about as much as we do Clarke with the bat and he needs more support.

So apart from the what you'd think would be obvious change of Finn out for another bowler (both Bresnan & Onions were in their squad for the 1st Test). Will they make a 2nd change and bring ina 5th bowling option probably at the expense of Bairstow who's only averaging 30.23 after 9 tests. Those are Ed Cowan type numbers! When you consider that Tim Bresnan has a batting average of 31.28 and both Broad and Swann are handy with the bat, you could see a situation of Finn & Bairstow out with Bresnan & one of either Onions or Panesar (if they want 2 spinners) in.

Would give them an XI of:

Cook*

Root

Trott

Pietersen

Bell

+Prior

Bresnan

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Onions or Panesar

Will be interesting to see....

Now I understand why you want Bird in.... I'd forgotten that line of thinking, since I'd lost interest in test cricket.... the ability to tie down the opposing batsmen at one end.

Bird may be right...

.. even if we go with 4 x pace, the other swing bowler may be out of starc & faulkner... I'd have Siddle & Pattinson in as the first 2 bowlers picked. add bird....then ?

Is it true that the hotspot missed Jonathon Trott's edge onto his pad in the second innings because they were showing a replay of an earlier hotspot?

I think a positive we can take out of this match is that England's reliability on Anderson has really been exposed. Once he went off last night they couldn't buy a wicket.

Finn has bowled terribly, Broad been up and down and not looking very dangerous for the most part and Swann was fairly ineffective, even on the last day.

Now we just need our batsmen to master Anderson and stop getting themselves out and we'll be apples.

Is it true that the hotspot missed Jonathon Trott's edge onto his pad in the second innings because they were showing a replay of an earlier hotspot?

I hope we prepare some really quick wickets, hard & bouncy for our next home test series. 1970's style wickets for the pace bowlers. pin them back on the stumps.

• Like 1

Not that my thoughts on the matter are of any interest to anybody but myself, but god I hate those Pommy scum. The spirit of Jardine lives on. I'll never forget that 2005 series when they brought in the best fielders from the counties as substitutes, and then kept 'substituting' their bowlers whenever they got a bit puffed. Not to mention that most of them are bloody South Africans.

Only thing I've got out of this Test has been a reassurance that the difference between the teams is not that great, and that the 10 -0 drubbing I'd feared isn't likely to happen. From what I saw in this game, I reckon we'll knock em over when they get out here. Just hope we doctor the pitches the way they do theirs. (ps sorry Deeluded we seem to have crossed in mid air. Same idea as you. Trouble is, of course, that if everybody does that, kind of ruins the game. Only the really great teams will be able to win away from their home turf. Oh well...hard to resist when everybody else does it)

Edited by Jara

We shouldn't be dropping any of our bowlers, I don't think. If we do, Starc is the one to go, but I'm not sure dropping him after one game is going to help much.

Apparently, yes. Pretty disgraceful, really.

• Like 1

Not that my thoughts on the matter are of any interest to anybody but myself, but god I hate those Pommy scum. The spirit of Jardine lives on. I'll never forget that 2005 series when they brought in the best fielders from the counties as substitutes, and then kept 'substituting' their bowlers whenever they got a bit puffed. Not to mention that most of them are bloody South Africans.

Only thing I've got out of this Test has been a reassurance that the difference between the teams is not that great, and that the 10 -0 drubbing I'd feared isn't likely to happen. From what I saw in this game, I reckon we'll knock em over when they get out here. Just hope we doctor the pitches the way they do theirs. (ps sorry Deeluded we seem to have crossed in mid air. Same idea as you. Trouble is, of course, that if everybody does that, kind of ruins the game. Only the really great teams will be able to win away from their home turf. Oh well...hard to resist when everybody else does it)

thats the point, but we are not the games rulers, so we have to do as the others do unto us,, until the powers step in to fix it... like the AFL & the youth policy of List management.

... we must do it & make hard fast pitches & stop worrying about games going 5 days.. It should Not be about TV & sponsor blood'y money... or the bloody TV rights.

it should Just be about 'the game', 'the contest' & 'the fan'... forget about the F*%@k!n sponsors.

• Like 1

A poor decision for sure, but it shouldn't be forgotten the reason we couldn't challenge it.

The referral of the LB earlier in the day was absolutely shocking and completely wasted our last review. Costly. While Pattinson should've known better, I place the blame pretty squarely with Haddin. He should've known the ball was passing leg by a mile and said as much immediately. Could cost us dearly, if it hasn't already.

This I agree with^ , I blame Haddin too in this instance.

Interesting take on 'Hotspot' by Warren Brennan in this BBC 5live podcast. Brennan helped developed hotspot fot TV. The interview begins at about 4.30 in and continues until about 16.30 into the podcast ... Ashes 1st Test review

According to Brennan, the Jonathan Trott 2nd innings dismissal came down to human error rather than hotspot failing. He also talked about hotspot not being foolproof (according to certain conditions and/or circumstances)

The lead into the interview is rather interesting with Michael Vaughan giving his opinion on the Haddin and Clarke dismissals. Even 'The Don' gets a mention.

lets hope our bowlers don't get sucked into bowling trash because of the lords HILL

it normally claims a victim new to the ground

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/ed-cowan-mitchell-starc-axed-for-usman-khawaja-and-ryan-harris-for-second-ashes-test-at-lords/story-fni2usfi-1226681302949

Little paper claiming Cowan & Starc out, Khawaja & Harris in.

Personally I would have left Cowan one more test and waited till Warner was avaialble and brought Bird in instead of Starc, but if there's changes are correct, lets hope they work well.

I almost forgot, double the cricket tonigth with Australia A taking on Zimbabwe in a three day mtach kicking off in two hours featuring David Warner & Pat Cummins.

Can follow it here:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/643351.html

Hopefully with bat in one and bowl in the other!