Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

...and who bats at 3?

Morgan isn't a #3, and neither are Collingwood or KP.

Bell has failed there many a time, and England have given up on him ever playing at #3.

If Cook's crapping it up, one of Bell or Morgan will be put in at 3.

Remember, England needs only to draw the series to retain the Ashes. Making changes like that will only happen if the series looks loseable.

AMac is making runs when it counts and has put his name forward with the bat.

I am not sure how AMac adds variety to our attack when he is right arm fast medium with Hilfy and Watson.

Perfect timing from my man McDonald. I still maintain he is good enough for Test cricket. With this batting form he may hopefully put even more pressure on the selectors, and force his way into the top 6. The other option is to return to how we played in South Africa, which was where we played McDonald at 8 and didn't play Hauritz.

Certainly Smith should miss out on the squad now. If we're picking a back up allrounder McDonald's the man. If we want a back up batsman then it's McDonald or an actual batsman. If we're picking a spin bowler it's Doherty, not Smith.

South African wickets are a little different to Australian wickets. I cant see the sense in replacing Hauritz with AMac. You must have a spinner for the fourth innings in Australia.

If AMac plays...its to bat first and foremost possibly at six.

I would pick Doherty ahead of Hauritz. But it not clear cut and the spinning and No 6 spots look far from resolved.

Is Andrew McDonald a good enough to be test batsman in his own right, or is this just Victorian parochialism speaking? (Genuine question, despite the fact that I couldn't resist the backhander ;)) Any time I see his name tossed up my first thought it always "surely this isn't the best we've got?" - however I freely admit I have not been following his recent form.

I don't believe in selecting all-rounders unless they're first rate with one or the other. As well as injury, this was always my concern with Watson, however now there's no doubt whatsoever (over his batting at least - he still chucks a few to many pies with the ball).

Is Andrew McDonald a good enough to be test batsman in his own right, or is this just Victorian parochialism speaking? (Genuine question, despite the fact that I couldn't resist the backhander ;)) Any time I see his name tossed up my first thought it always "surely this isn't the best we've got?" - however I freely admit I have not been following his recent form.

I don't believe in selecting all-rounders unless they're first rate with one or the other. As well as injury, this was always my concern with Watson, however now there's no doubt whatsoever (over his batting at least - he still chucks a few to many pies with the ball).

I believe he is. He's hit 3 centuries so far this Shield season, two of them in the one match against NSW, whose bowling line up was Test standard. He hit a good half century in his most recent Test innings too.

Absolutely. And I dont select all rounders unless they are a perfect fit for the side rather than a nice to have.

Like Watson, McDonald gets selected primarily as a batsman if selected. I have not rated AMac before this but 3 Shield centuries is not to be ignored.

Absolutely. And I dont select all rounders unless they are a perfect fit for the side rather than a nice to have.

Like Watson, McDonald gets selected primarily as a batsman if selected. I have not rated AMac before this but 3 Shield centuries is not to be ignored.

True.

Which should also be why Steve Smith doesn't even make the squad. The argument will be that he's the second spinner, but Doherty's better than him and has done his time in the Shield. Smith's Shielf form isn't good enough.

McDonald can bat at 6, and if he keeps making runs through the Shield, and North doesn't do something about his form, he might get a call up, if not for Brisbane, then for a later Test.

There was a quite bizarre argument put forward comparing Smith to Warne. Smith is not a shield grade bowler yet. Promising but not there yet. I think the fact is we dont have a frontline spinner atm and left field suggestions tend to pop up.

North and Hussey (expecially) must be on their last chance. No runs in Brisbane if they get the chance will spell the end for either or both.

Bloody SA bowlers bowling Cook and Strauss into form. FMD.

My side for the Ashes:

Katich

Watson

Ponting

Clarke

Hussey

McDonald

Paine

Hauritz

Johnson

Hilfenhaus

Bollinger

*McDonald for North. Despite North scoring a century in the last test v India, I think McDonald can provide with the bat where North has failed on more occassions than not. McDonald also provides the Captain a bit with the ball, changes up the speed as a medium pace bowler that can create a bit of swing/drift and keep it tight, whereas I don't think North is anywhere near as potent, nor can he hold up an end like the Captain might want.

Back on 17th October I spruiked my inclusion of McDonald for North for the first Ashes Test. I think (even more so now) McDonald should be included. I know QLD and particularly Brisbane has had alot of rain, and I think a seamer such as McDonald who has performed well in conditions offering a bit of humidity for some swing - should be considered for selection. Importantly, the two centuries against NSW should have his name in neon lights seeing the selectors sat there for the game.

COMMENT: The VICS have had the wood on NSW (even though it was a drawn match on weekend) and have won & performed well against NSW both home & away for a few years. They are big games in their own right, the good players perform and come to the fore. In many cases the VIC players have performed well, ahead of their NSW counterparts. I just find it a tad frustratingly agitating that NSW players are mentioned and considered ahead of VICS and in other cases *TASMANIAN cricketers (thinking of you Nasher) when it comes to National Selection.

* It's my contention that the VICS and TASMANIANS have dominated domestic cricket in the three forms of cricket over the past 3 seasons (overall). I don't have the statistical figures at hand; but I'm pretty confident this is the case recalling finals, etc.

edit:

FURTHER COMMENT: I find it unbelievable that the Australian Test Team for the first Ashes Test is to be selected prior to the Aust XI v England Match. I echo Slater's concerns and read on the weekend when he confronted newly appointed selector Greg Chappell, Chappell said the selectors had no say in it, the selectores were given direction by Cricket Australia to do so. IMO Cricket Australia needs to get some of it's priorities in order and it's also my belief that CA and it's sponsors look after some of the incumbent sponsored players for the summer. (In terms of selection). This was confirmed to me just last weekend by a source of mine dating back to Symonds inclusion for Test selection. And guess what *stop the press*, the skipper also has a big say in proceedings - but I guess that is nothing unusual anyway; you guy's I believe already knew that one.

or White!

Don't agree on White. Even though I understand the hype surrounding the "ra ra ra" for his inclusion. A while back I would have agreed. But it's clear by intentions now that the selectors are going another path.

Very good cricketer, but he's no big bowling sensation, he's a part timer. If you want him for his batting, he has plenty of opposition. What he does have in his favour is a good cricket brain. But is it enough ? I'm not so sure anymore.

Don't agree on White. ....

Very good cricketer, but he's no big bowling sensation, he's a part timer. If you want him for his batting, he has plenty of opposition. What he does have in his favour is a good cricket brain. But is it enough ? I'm not so sure anymore.

Has not done enough.

Now if he had hit 3 centuries....

AMac is an interesting one. Not in the 17. Selectors dont rate him for No 6.

I would not necessarily pick AMac for bowling in Bris.

Neither would I...it's more the complete package for me. Plus, I think he is a darn sight better in terms of offering more for the skipper than North is for bowling. The other plus is, he is more than handy with the bat. Reasons:

1/ Decent bowler: Provides change of pace, still nippy. Takes wickets, ties up an end.

2/ Handy batsman - as already highlighted, performs in games, big games.

3/ Already has Test Match experience ie. Sth Africa.

4/ Better option than North, Aussies can still play a spinner and have quicks. Is durable - can bowl decent spells if required.

Dream period for cricket fanatics (like me): three Tests are on right now, and the Ashes are a week and a half away. NZ is competing against India (despite Harbhajan hitting another century, wtf...), the Windies haven't been bowled out yet vs SL (yes, it's only been 20 overs, but still, it's the Windies), and Pakistan is doing OK vs RSA. Brilliant way to procrastinate from study...

Now, onto our squad. Predictable selections IMO, except for Doherty and Ferguson over Hughes. I'd have had Hughes simply because Katich is possibly not 100% fit, but I think maybe they're worried about Hughes going up against England again.

But the big one I disagree with is McDonald not being selected. Especially given Smith was. Smith adds nothing. There is someone who is better than him at everything. Doherty's selection implies we rate him as another spinner, else he wouldn't have been picked. Khawaja and Ferguson are the next batsmen in line. So IMO he's there as an all-rounder. But McDonald's a better all rounder than he is. He bats better, he bowls better, and he's got the Shield (and arguably Test) form to back it up.

None of that changes the 11 for Brisbane though. It's all down to how North, Hussey, Hauritz and Bollinger/Siddle/Johnson go.

Has not done enough.

Now if he had hit 3 centuries....

I would have thought Brisbane would suit him.

Nonetheless he would be a better addition to the squad than the prodigal son, Smith. Deserves it more, too.

I would have thought Brisbane would suit him.

I'm of the same opinion. When I think of Brisbane especially after a great deal of rain (record falls, low pressure troughs etc...no I'm not Rob Gell or David Brown either..haha), I think Day 1 and 2 a tinge of green; movement of the seam and swing if there is humidity around - usually is in Qld.

That said, there is still more than a week before the first test.

Now that they've looked to have ruled him (McDonald) out for now, it will be interesting to see who comes up. I've noticed they (selectors) have ordered Siddle not to play this week. Harris is a wait and see, Bollinger is being monitored.

Great innings by McCullum (225), Alma (118), Kallis (135) and Gayle (333) yesterday. Younis Khan and Harbajan also scored centuries. Vettori another 5-for. Some good cricket being played ATM.

Pakistan's effort yesterday against South Africa...Kind of sums it all up for international cricket really doesn't it.

"Let's not go for the runs in case we get Bowled out & then everybody will think we were on the take-Lets just walk off with 13 overs to go & take the draw"

Not worth playing the game with that attitude me thinks.... B)

Pakistan's effort yesterday against South Africa...Kind of sums it all up for international cricket really doesn't it.

"Let's not go for the runs in case we get Bowled out & then everybody will think we were on the take-Lets just walk off with 13 overs to go & take the draw"

not a good start for austraila in hobart against pommies !

hughes - 2 causght

khawaja - 13 caught behind

ferguson - 8 caught behind

watson out for 6 against tassie in sydney/

Edited by Grimes to Watts

not a good start for austraila in hobart against pommies !

hughes - 2 causght

khawaja - 13 caught behind

ferguson - 8 caught behind

watson out for 6 against tassie in sydney/

Here is bigger news:

Mike Hussey out for a duck against the VICS. WA 2/44

Andrew McDonald has 1/7 off 9 overs claiming the scalp of Hussey. Caught by his brother David. :blink:

Marcus North 2* (notout)

Chris Gayle is a legend. Pure and simple.

World cricket is on the improve. West Indies are at least competing with Sri Lanka (yes, they collapsed, losing 5 for about 20, and yes, the pitch is a road, but Sri Lanka usually get results at home and WI have been a basket case recently), Pakistan didn't lose to South Africa, and New Zealand haven't lost to India in two attempts yet. You'd have picked the top three teams to beat the bottom three teams pretty easily.

Here is bigger news:

Mike Hussey out for a duck against the VICS. WA 2/44

Andrew McDonald has 1/7 off 9 overs claiming the scalp of Hussey. Caught by his brother David. :blink:

Marcus North 2* (notout)

HUN says that the selectors are going to drop Hussey if he doesn't make a ton. Literally down to his last chance now.

But Khawaja and Ferguson failed to take their chances for Australia A. Mind you, the conditions were terrible for batting and the bowling was pretty good, but the chance to finalise the decision was missed. Second innings is going to be massive.

Meanwhile McDonald keeps on keeping on.

Edited by titan_uranus

HUN says that the selectors are going to drop Hussey if he doesn't make a ton. Literally down to his last chance now.

Not if the one's who are knocking don't stand up. They need to make runs too.

Btw, when was the last time you heard or read anyone refer to Mike Hussey as "Mr.Cricket" of late ?

It's been a while IMO. Interesting.

Great innings by McCullum (225), Alma (118), Kallis (135) and Gayle (333) yesterday. Younis Khan and Harbajan also scored centuries. Vettori another 5-for. Some good cricket being played ATM.

Great effort by NZ in India. I dont think the gap between No 1 and No 6 has been as close as this in 40 years. Is Jacques Kallis the greatest all rounder since Gary Sobers? I cant think of a player with a more imposing one day record.

The only thing that detracts from Gayle's wonderful achievement is the likelihood the Sri Lankas have produced another South Asian pancake pitch. The other thought is that with Murali gone they dont have any bowlers.

How many years did you say you have been watching cricket? :wacko:

Pakistan were chasing 450 on a 4th innings pitch where there was turn and bounce and the Springboks dropped 4 crucial catches which flattered the scoreboard.

On an uneven wicket where they had scored at 3.4 an over, they should suddenly start swinging the bat at around 8.5 an over to go an win. It would be exactly that sort of behaviour that would suggest they were on take.

Here is what Cricinfo wrote in their Bulletin (and yes what would they know as they were actually there?? :rolleyes: )

It soon became clear that a draw would be regarded as a victory in itself, however, as both Younis and Misbah settled into stubborn defence. With the match meandering towards a draw, Younis helped himself to two more sixes off Botha before both captains decided to call the game off minutes into the final hour.

So given the herculean effort to survive for 100+ overs on a difficult 5 day pitch and that both Captain called the game a draw, its the Pakistanis who are at fault.

As always you are entitled to your opinion WYL. But FMD you do say thoroughly ridiculous comments that reflect neither an understanding of the matter or even a basic awareness of the facts you comment on. And like always you get exposed for the empty noise you repeatedly type. This long thread almost contains enough of your blinding gaffes to put out a double CD of hits (or was that misses :lol: ).

Great effort by NZ in India. I dont think the gap between No 1 and No 6 has been as close as this in 40 years. Is Jacques Kallis the greatest all rounder since Gary Sobers? I cant think of a player with a more imposing one day record.

The only thing that detracts from Gayle's wonderful achievement is the likelihood the Sri Lankas have produced another South Asian pancake pitch. The other thought is that with Murali gone they dont have any bowlers.

How many years did you say you have been watching cricket? :wacko:

Pakistan were chasing 450 on a 4th innings pitch where there was turn and bounce and the Springboks dropped 4 crucial catches which flattered the scoreboard.

On an uneven wicket where they had scored at 3.4 an over, they should suddenly start swinging the bat at around 8.5 an over to go an win. It would be exactly that sort of behaviour that would suggest they were on take.

Here is what Cricinfo wrote in their Bulletin (and yes what would they know as they were actually there?? :rolleyes: )

It soon became clear that a draw would be regarded as a victory in itself, however, as both Younis and Misbah settled into stubborn defence. With the match meandering towards a draw, Younis helped himself to two more sixes off Botha before both captains decided to call the game off minutes into the final hour.

So given the herculean effort to survive for 100+ overs on a difficult 5 day pitch and that both Captain called the game a draw, its the Pakistanis who are at fault.

As always you are entitled to your opinion WYL. But FMD you do say thoroughly ridiculous comments that reflect neither an understanding of the matter or even a basic awareness of the facts you comment on. And like always you get exposed for the empty noise you repeatedly type. This long thread almost contains enough of your blinding gaffes to put out a double CD of hits (or was that misses :lol: ).

They should have gone for the win....They had enough overs. Imagine what it would have done for cricket if they had pulled it off-as is said in the report. 2 sixes were hit before they walked. So the pitch could not have been that bad. Poor Form IMO

They should have gone for the win....They had enough overs. Imagine what it would have done for cricket if they had pulled it off-as is said in the report. 2 sixes were hit before they walked. So the pitch could not have been that bad. Poor Form IMO

Its not 20/20 cricket. They had to score at over 8 an over. The two sixes reflect that the sting had gone out of the game from both sides late in the piece. And again the facts elude you as both captains agreed to call a draw.

The Pakistanis are susceptible to be called "cheats" for any change of behaviour. And had they gone kamakazi at the end talkback "know alls" like you would be at them for tossing a game.

You really dont have much to back up some really naive comments do you Basil?