Adem Yze's magic set to return

Pinball Wizard

It's funny (and quite sad) how people so quickly forget how much someone has given when they are not having the best of times. You must have overlooked the fact that Adem was an All-Australian in 2002 and Best and Fairest winner in 2001. In 2003-05, Yze finished in the Top 10 for the best and fairest, including a 3rd place in 2004. He is the club's consecutive games record holder and yes, whilst I'll admit that Daniher had a bit to do with this, surely playing 200+ consecutive games is testament to Adem's physical and mental strength.

I think you have also overlooked the fact that the football club AS A WHOLE have performed inconsistently over the past decade. This certainly makes it difficult for outside players like Yze, but I still believe that he has performed admirably during these tough times.

I think it's about time people stand back, and give Adem a chance. I can't believe people call him a "lazy and selfish" player when he has given the Melbourne football club such great service over the past decade.

And even if he was selfish, I wouldn't give a s*** because the Melbourne footy club need more selfish players, players who are not afraid to take on the rest, players who have a touch of arrogance about them.

Thankyou very much

He was very good in 2002 but he started his self serving antics in 2003 and the deterioration commenced on what could have been.

BTW, Jim Stynes is the Club consecutive games record holder. Its a good analysis up to the end of 2005. In an injury riddled team in the EF against Geelong Yze as "Captain" for the injured Neitz struggled to get a game on the bench and when he did come on, would not commit to bending down and taking possession of the contested ball and toe poked the ball in front of him until it went out of bounds. Embarrassing and shallow effort. No wonder they took the leadership away from such a downhill skier.

I fully realise MFC performed inconsistently over the past decade and the soft "me first culture" epitomised by some of our alleged stars and champions is a root cause of this. Our "model of consistency" has been one of the worst offenders.

BTW, you severely mistake self preservation for physical and mental strength. I would back players like Kirk, Mitchell, Hodge and West with those attributes. Not the wallflower in the No 13 jumper.

Also, when I look at the premiers over the past 5 years and I struggle to find selfish players amongst them. Should tell you something.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GIVEN !! ?? last I looked they get paid. If Adem put as much effort into actually 'giving' and contributing to the 'team' as opposed to showponying...then we all prrobably wouldnt be here discussing him in this light .

adem yze could have quite easily left melbourne at the end of his contract years...especially when he was absolutely fuming over the shane woewodin trade to collingwood, yet he stood by and fought hard and played some of his best football in the years following

adem yze could have quite easily left melbourne at the end of his contract years...especially when he was absolutely fuming over the shane woewodin trade to collingwood, yet he stood by and fought hard and played some of his best football in the years following

Correct. He could of. A legacy of ND's time at the Club that we did not seek to trade a player who lives on spasmodic delivery of talent when we could have got real value for him. At least we learnt the lesson with TJ.

Yes he was "fuming" over Woey going so much so that he chose to mop the release of salary cap pressure brought by Woey's departure in his end of season 2002 contract negotiations.

At the end of 2002 he publicly threatened through his manager in the media to go to the PSD if MFC did not acquiensce to his contractual demands. He had a 3 year contract being paid as a marquee player and delivered other than that. He finished the contract period as a highly paid front running benchwarmer in an injury trashed side as a supposed leader.

And to give the "model of consistency" his due he tried similar tactics in his 2005 negotiations. What a club man.

He has never been the player he was in 2002 where he was AA and has delivered less re occurring glimpses of that form in each year since.

Correct. He could of. A legacy of ND's time at the Club that we did not seek to trade a player who lives on spasmodic delivery of talent when we could have got real value for him. At least we learnt the lesson with TJ.

Yes he was "fuming" over Woey going so much so that he chose to mop the release of salary cap pressure brought by Woey's departure in his end of season 2002 contract negotiations.

At the end of 2002 he publicly threatened through his manager in the media to go to the PSD if MFC did not acquiensce to his contractual demands. He had a 3 year contract being paid as a marquee player and delivered other than that. He finished the contract period as a highly paid front running benchwarmer in an injury trashed side as a supposed leader.

And to give the "model of consistency" his due he tried similar tactics in his 2005 negotiations. What a club man.

He has never been the player he was in 2002 where he was AA and has delivered less re occurring glimpses of that form in each year since.

i will give u credit for having good arguments and you should join politics if u have the time...however, what yze did at the end of 2002 is not unusual...he said to the club (through his manager) that if they didnt give him the right deal, he will leave..fair enough and did he leave? no..he still got paid less in those three years than he did in 2000-2001...look at robbo, he said to the club that if they didnt give him a three year deal he would quit, he looked at the doggies and he considered his options then came home settling for a two year contract...robbo is still considered a loyal demon for not leaving and yze deserves that recognition aswell IMO.

Adem Yze - silky skilled left footer.. would not miss a target coming out of defence and led the league in rebounds from defensive 50!! that day in freo and then the tigers when he had the 44 jumper on - there was something special!!

He was one of the first back flankers to be tagged.. he was then moved further up the ground to a wing but what it did not teach him was how to beat a tag.. when he was played tight and close, he struggled...

for me the lowlight was tossing the coin vs geelong in the finals, then proceeding to make his way to the bench.. he then came on and in the wet, tried kicking the ball off the ground in the backline instead of putting his head over the ball... as a leader he had to put his body on the line - heaven knows jeff white did so in the same game..

for me the following must occur -

1. pressure without the ball - his chasing and tackling leave a lot to be desired, taking the opponent out of the play, running without the ball, looking dangerous.. it is a simple thing!!

2. team orientated footy - be a leader of the footy club and be selfless.. the impossible shots at goal need to be shelved, the kicks off the ground used sparingly or out of necessity, the shepherding of team mates, the talk and support of team mates, the body language and signs given off...

3. deadly left boot - the return of the weapon that would hit targets lace up and get the crowd up and going...

come on ooze - a fresh opportunity under a new coach, a club crying out for leadership and for skills...

make a statement!!

i will give u credit for having good arguments and you should join politics if u have the time...however, what yze did at the end of 2002 is not unusual...he said to the club (through his manager) that if they didnt give him the right deal, he will leave..fair enough and did he leave? no..he still got paid less in those three years than he did in 2000-2001...look at robbo, he said to the club that if they didnt give him a three year deal he would quit, he looked at the doggies and he considered his options then came home settling for a two year contract...robbo is still considered a loyal demon for not leaving and yze deserves that recognition aswell IMO.

When the Club and he were negotiating in 2002, his manager waved an offer from Carlton in the air and said through the media that Yze would walk. Its not unusual to negotiate a contract but it is unusual behaviour for a player who obviously loves and bleeds for the Club like Yze to hold a barrel to Club and threaten to walk. What was the Club to do let a current AA player walk into the PSD for nothing? He got paid big dollars that matched the Carlton deal. And what did he deliver over that time? From an AA player to a Captain on the interchange bench in a depleted side toepoking the ball instead of picking it up. MFC paid the price of a porsche and got a temperamental and unrealiable fiat from Yze.

Robbo is another selfish player that epitomises the me too culture amongst the senior players. He is loyal to the point thatit suits Robbo to be loyal. At the end of his current contract, MFC assessed a selfish underperforming 28yo with 2 years of injuries and offered him a lower contract and rightly so. He publicly threatened to quit and sought a contract from the Doggies who were desperately short of forwards. Guess what ....they werent interested in an injury riddled 28yo player. He did consider his options. He had none and like Robbo often looks in the media... a naive fool with a big mouth. He took the two years at a cut rate.

Neither Robbo nor Yze are loyal players in the same class as a Neitz and as they are evolved out of the list by DB and crew some of this selfish soft culture that has blighted this Club will go with it.

I spose he could have. I for one would not have minded; in exactly the same way Trapper has come to leave. A club is built upon not promised potential, but delivered effort. I have nothing persoanl agaisnt any particular player...nor for them. They are players, in a team gettingto do what they love and be hansomely rewarded. Occasionally the payer gets stung by the payee !!

At the risk of cynicism again Adem seems to miraculously find yards when he can milk it !! Dont like it..fine !!

On the Freight train called Melbourne there is no room for passengers!!

id like to take you on a little ride into memory lane..the story of one of our greatest sons, adem yze....please note, this is not about his leadership abilities or accusations of bieng soft because that has already been argued countlessly

on september 21st, 1977, the birth of Adem Yze occured. throughout his childhood, adem tried many sports but excelled at AFL football, shown by melbourne when he was taken at pick 16 in the 1994 national AFL draft.

throughout his career he has achieved many milestones:

-"Yze led the league in kicks in 2001, 2002 and 2004, while coming third behind Scott Camporeale and Nathan Buckley in 2000."

-"His honours as a player include All-Australian selection in 2002, winning the Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy for Melbourne's Best and Fairest player in 2001, representing Australia in the International Rules Series 2002 and playing in the 2000 Grand Final against Essendon."

and to quote paddo " In 2003-05, Yze finished in the Top 10 for the best and fairest, including a 3rd place in 2004. "

"Yze is known for his straight kicks and ability to kick goals from impossible angles"

I would just like people to pause for a minute and think about how much joy and excitement adem yze has brought to this club.....i read comments on this very forum of people that say they wouldnt have been upset if adem left us and comparing if adem moved to that of TJ..Yze has been so much more than Trav

It hasnt been prevelant for a while with the recent (and hopefully temporary) decline of our club, but think back to the whole ground chanting "ooooooooooze" when he gets the ball and how much joy it brought to the fans when he is able to kick crazy goals from the boundry lines and go up to take screamers...what about his match winning goal against kangaroos a couple of years ago...what about the game against freo just this year coming back and getting 38 possies against all odds...one thing that has seperated yze from other players is his ability to be different, to be eccentic on the footy field, to trick players, to bewilder players...many greats of the game admired yze in his best times including our greatest son ron barassi. lets not forget his games against essendon, there have been many outstanding ones..

what i am saying is, maybe he is getting old, maybe he is a little soft and people might not consider him to be a leader

(even though he is) but he is a champion and i think people are forgetting how much joy he brought to the fans...it takes a lot to have a whole crowd of supporters chanting "oooze" togethor...it isnt easy to get things like that started, it just proves what yze is about..."Yze Magic"'s name is Yze Magic for a reason..and people might think the name is out of date but he made that name for a reason...

yze believes he can bounce back and so do i...he has been a great of our club and hopefully he will fill some loose ends in the upcoming seasons! and if he does not bounce back, i hope people take the effort to see that he has been an upsolute character and champ of the MFC and his career should not get a reputation by a bad year in 2007 for the whole club

r85847_252168.jpg

without doubt Ooze is the closest thing to a Macedonian marvel that Melb has had for some time (yes.. I Know hes of Albanian heritage !! ) Its that very fact he is talented that irks many , myself included. In a sense he's like that image of a Big Mac... looks great... then you look inside the box and though its all there it doesnt quite seem to be as good !!

He is sporadic at best, lazy at worst. When on song and in his littel "zone" is a delight to watch. when his antics havent resulted in any effect or worse a sqaunderd oportunity to put in then its terribly terribly frustrating and incredibly hard to get excited about him.

Any talk about loyalty ( above the call ) is rubbish as he was perfetly prepareded to walk on occasions. I dont mind anyone milking a contract... but dont do A and call it B !!

To this observer he waxes and wanes according to some tide thats not related to the predicamant of the season.

Some of his 'tackles' and efforts are emabarassing , bith for ineffectiveness and in some instances sheer bastardry.

Lets just say he should never win a brownlow with some of his indicretions !!

Hes done ok in the past on occasions. He's polled well at times , esp when we were in all honesty crap.

With his ability he ought to be a ridgy didge champion... He ought to be...but the's not !!...as they say he's not the Mesiah but indeed a very naughty boy at times !! He is opportunistic without being a game breaker or a play maker.

The lad can do some things standing on his head... ( at times literally ) but if there were a player of our modern times that failed to deliver oh his true potential..then I nominate one Adem Yze !!

but if there were a player of our modern times that failed to deliver oh his true potential..then I nominate one Adem Yze !!

and not travis johnstone? he has had a bad year ok, i get it, but if you asked people a couple of years ago if adem yze was a champion most people would have said "yes" and then said "oooooooze" (well i would have anyway)...to say that he has not delivered even though he has made the top 10 in our best and fairest numerous times, won a best and fairest, led the AFL kicks numerous times, won matches for the club, been an All Australian, bieng an icon of our club, a former vice captain AND has not walked out after bieng let down by the club (even though his three year contract was agreed upon but not signed, before our seven game losing streak a couple of years ago that made the board change its decisions and infuriate just like when shane woewodin got the boot) is very very harsh

I think people are retroactively asking alot of Yze.

Yze and Green are wingers, forward pockets, and half-back flankers. They get soft footy, no doubt. But for a decade Adem Yze was a fine winger with an equisite kick.

He truly was a quarterback of a kind. (Stand by for a Gridiron analogy, most should be able to follow)

And the quarterbacks are the softest players in the NFL, but they are celebrated for their poise and decision making. Aswell as the execution of their skill.

I think some are asking a quarterback to be judged as a running back. (Running Backs being the bloke who runs straight forward into a line of huge men becasue the quarterback palmed it to him)

Bringing it back to AFL. Yze and Green over their careers have not averaged 2 tackles a game, but their value isn't in the guts. It's on the periphery. McDonald should and will be celebrated more than these two because he gets his own footy and contested ball.

But don't miss the value in Yze and Green as excellent periphery players. (Although Green has that kicking thing that I mentioned earlier)

and not travis johnstone?

I'll happily go oj record as saying what happened to Trapper ought to have occurred to Yze some years back.

On a pound for pound basis Yze is more talented than Johnno. But the two are of a very similar ilk.. one has felt the wrath, one is very very lucky in my view.

But don't miss the value in Yze and Green as excellent periphery players. (Although Green has that kicking thing that I mentioned earlier)

These are very different folk. Green is a thinker ( wonder at times I admit..lol ) but he looks for cracks in the game to exploit..and at times makes them. He thinks more in terms of the game.. Ooze is purely results driven. He likes the look of himself on the scoreboard.. 'nuff said !!

These are very different folk. Green is a thinker ( wonder at times I admit..lol ) but he looks for cracks in the game to exploit..and at times makes them. He thinks more in terms of the game.. Ooze is purely results driven. He likes the look of himself on the scoreboard.. 'nuff said !!

i think that your views are very harsh on yze...the criticism he has received is NOTHING similar to what TJ received. Yze has had a bad year, i am willing to admit defeat in that catagory but you are been a little harsh i reckon...he hasnt been that inconsistent or he wouldnt have achieved all of the things that i mentioned in my previous posts

Nugget,

In 2002 and to an extent 2003, I would have agreed with you. But I started to see on field behaviours from Yze from 2004 onwards. Its now gone on for four years. In that time, as the game has quickened and the need to play for the contested ball has increased, the more Yze resorted to the negative lazy onfield tactics. He is good against weak oppositions or teams that dont man him up. His disapperating acts have increased as his cameo efforts have reduced. In my mind he has been a fringe player since the end of 2005 and his ability to fall back on his talents and not do the hard work have diminished as his skills have diminished.

There is no doubt that he has lost yard in the past 3 to 4 years and his potent kicking skills are not so sharp and silky. In recent years there has been more a habit to have hasty pot shots than consider the team thing of centering the ball. He just cant cut the corners like he used to and get away with it

In 2007, he just started to work harder and actually started to chase an opponent. Unfortunately when he did catch him and throw a tackle, he was merely brushed aside and showed that it is skill after 10 years of senior football he had not learned or applied one of the key skills in the game.

To me Yze has been a disappointment because he never applied his abundant talent in his prime the way a Godfrey work like hell on the limited skill sets he had. Yze really had the ability to be that star but chose not to put in the efforts both with and without the ball that gets you there. He cheated on the delivery and been allowed to do so by the accommodating culture that has been at Melb.

For the record, Yze's contract negotiations in 2005 were put on hold because of the perilous state of form exhibited Yze during that difficult streak for the team. As VC and leading player the continual lack of on field leadership and poor performance put the glowing model of consistency in some uncertainty over his VC and playing duties going forward. His finish to that year summed up his position...struggling for a game. MFC carried Yze during that extended period and had injuries not hit the side, he would not have been in the 2005 EF.

As for TJ....a wasted talent with a lazy and apathetic attitude coupled with a gameboy mentality. Another culture issue. I am glad we acted on TJ and traded him while he has some market value. We should have done likewise with Yze in 2004.

Adem Yze has been a gun for us over a long period, and I suggest that the people bagging him are either complete [censored] or racists that dont like Albanians

Shame on you!

You can be a periphery player and still put your head over the ball when it's your turn. Natural talent doesn't preclude you from doing the team things.

By he way, here is a thread I started back on August 10th

http://demonland.nozzs.org/forum/index.php...966&hl=2008

Once again, Yze_Magic is months ahead of anyone else in terms of his football thinking

By he way, here is a thread I started back on August 10th

http://demonland.nozzs.org/forum/index.php...966&hl=2008

Once again, Yze_Magic is months ahead of anyone else in terms of his football thinking

funny that...i hope u are right yze magic because there are a couple of points i have to prove now (funny how the skeptics were the exact same a couple of months ago)

to rhino richards, yze's manager was very close to settling a three year deal with the club midway through 2005 and then when the club lost the first 4 of 7 games in a row, the board decided that no contracts would be signed until the end of the year which would have been very frustrating and unsettling for the great man yze...your other points are correct to some extent, however, as you admitted RR, in 2004 you would have agreed with me that yze is a great player so even if he has had some bad years he has still been a champion at our club.....i am now waiting for him to respond in 2008...if he does not, i will admit defeat in all of my arguments on this thread and you can call me on that in 12 months time (this is excluding injury)...however, yze has still been a very good player

to rhino richards, yze's manager was very close to settling a three year deal with the club midway through 2005 and then when the club lost the first 4 of 7 games in a row, the board decided that no contracts would be signed until the end of the year which would have been very frustrating and unsettling for the great man yze

My deepest sympathies to the gentle hearted great one. He screwed the club over in 2002, he knows the caper. The ironic thing is that Yze was responsible for the suspension of negotiations. He was deplorable as a player and leader.

...your other points are correct to some extent, however, as you admitted RR, in 2004 you would have agreed with me that yze is a great player so even if he has had some bad years he has still been a champion at our club

No. He could have been a great player. He has won a Bluey and would be labelled a "champion" by some. But in my eyes he has not fully delivered on his considerable talent.

.....i am now waiting for him to respond in 2008...if he does not, i will admit defeat in all of my arguments on this thread and you can call me on that in 12 months time (this is excluding injury)...however, yze has still been a very good player

Whether he does or does not perform in 2008, does not change my determination of him to date. In his final year for the best of the Club I hope he does have a good year. I am not confident he will do it.

whats to say it will be his final year? lol...yeah it probs will be

just to clarrify, are you saying the whole "he has potential but never showed" kinda thing that every1 said about johnno because i still think that everyone is just been harsh on him from a couple of years of bad footy....he is still a champion, AA, best and fairest, leading kicks, hes one us matches, vice captain, consecutive consistent matches, everyone round the club loves him, speckies, ooooooooooooooooooze.....he might not have completely delivered on his potential but he is still a champion.....anyway, we are going around in circles lol, i see where you are coming from but i think ppl here are bieng a little harsh

"Adem Yze is jumping out of his skin, has been very impressive during training, offering advice and showing leadership on and off the track." - Dean Bailey interview 3AW

whats that? leadership deetox? ON and off the track? it cant be....lol-- "very impressive"...."jumping out of his skin" I think we are onto something people...Yze Magic was right on the money in August...keep up the good work yze and prove me right and others wrong lol

Yze Magic was right on the money in August...keep up the good work yze and prove me right and others wrong lol

No probs

I love proving people wrong

I have done so many times with good old Rhino Richards, I think he hates the fact that I get under his skin so easily but when you know as much about footy as me and have the mind of a genius, it would be criminal of me not to use it