More insults from the AFL

Blistering

for those of you who cant wait for the draw...... see attachement (assuming it works)

Note: source is email from a friend who has connections with PAFC.

Good on you mate.

12 Games at the G,

Play Richmond, Fremantle, Kangaroos, Geelong, Brisbane, Doggies, Hawthorn twice.

Typical that we'd get stuck with Brisbane twice; just so TJ can have 2 opportunities to tear us to pieces and give the media flogs something to prattle on about.

Not upset with that; I like that the MCG games are reasonably well spread out. Sunday games are a bit of a snooze, but at least it's convenient.

Our fixture probably deserves it's own thread doesn't it Nasher?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks ok, except we only get 1 Friday night game, and we play Geelong in Geelong... AGAIN!

Pretty sure I counted 5 interstate trips not including our sold home game (and f'ing Geelong :rolleyes: ), which is not too bad.

Happy that the majority of our matches are on Sunday as well (Saturday would have been better, but what can you do!).

Overall it doesn't strike me as a bad draw, now lets just hope it's the right one!

I also notice that out of our 6 Interstate games, one is a home game at a neutral venue (manuka), one is an away game at a somewhat neutral venue (Carrara) and we play Subi once. Plus we won't have to travel to Sydney for the first time 8 years.

Not a glowingly positive draw but it seems pretty balanced to me.

Although the trip down does return for us, at least we now have the monkey off the back regarding that trip and unlike other years, it's early in the season!

What about our ANZAC weekend game in Sydney?

It was a bit of a non-event anyway, if you ask me. I'm just glad we don't have to play on that table-tennis table this year. God I hate the SCG.

we only get 1 Friday night game, and we play Geelong in Geelong... AGAIN!

Thats pathetic, one night game for the whole season - both Friday and Saturday nights.

Given the AFL plays 66 games in Friday and Saturday night timeslots we havent fared too well.

Thats pathetic, one night game for the whole season - both Friday and Saturday nights.

Given the AFL plays 66 games in Friday and Saturday night timeslots we havent fared too well.

That's what you get when the founding club of this competition turns 150.

How are we meant to draw big crowds with Sunday games and just one Friday night game?

One bloody night game, that pathetic. Even after the years of 2001 and 2003 we got at least 3 night games, even if we weren't the home side. It's the highest rating time slot and we have one of them, how the F are we meant to attract sponsors?

Bloody AFL!

And for the record, Collingwood get 10 night time slots, Essendon 9.

I thought i'd break down the grounds we're playing at, from that point of view it's pretty good IMO.

MCG: 12 games

TD: 3 games (no home)

AAMI: 2 games

GABBA: 1

Manuka: 1 (home)

Gold Coast: 1 (v Kangas)

Skilled Stadium: 2 (1 NAB)

SUBI: 1 (v Freo)

Days, not so good.

Friday: 1 (only night game)

Saturday: 5

Sunday: 15

Monday: 1

Exactly. I wrote an essay on this about 15 posts up -- I should've just used your one liner. Summed up perfectly.

We still deserve more than 1 night game when Carlton, the tankers, get 9 night games.

Lets put it this way:

Cheating pays off in the AFL! :angry:

Cheating pays off in the AFL! :angry:

I can't see how you would come to that conclusion. Carlton getting 9 home games has nothing to do with their tanking, and everything to do with the fact that people go to watch them play.

I can't see how you would come to that conclusion. Carlton getting 9 home games has nothing to do with their tanking, and everything to do with the fact that people go to watch them play.

No, it has almost everything to do with the fact that they tanked, got the extra picks, and managed to pick up Judd.

They are only getting night games because Judd will attract a lot of attention and the TV ratings will go up.

They should be punished for their blatant cheating, and the fact that they have been consistently rubbish for a number of years.

That's what you get when the founding club of this competition turns 150.

How are we meant to draw big crowds with Sunday games and just one Friday night game?

Big deal.

Jaded, MFC could every game just the way they wanted it and the only time we would get big crowds is when the opposing side (like Collingwood) provides them.

Your question infers that the draw limits us from drawing big crowds. That bollocks. At present we dont draw large crowds on our own. Think about when we have been travelling well and playing Port or Freo at the G. Its empty.

It long term success that brings bums on seat and a generation of supporters.

Richmond benefit from the success in late 60's and 70's despite their poor recent performance over the past decade.

Hawthorn benefit from the success in the 70's and 80's despite their indifferent recent performance.

No, it has almost everything to do with the fact that they tanked, got the extra picks, and managed to pick up Judd.

They are only getting night games because Judd will attract a lot of attention and the TV ratings will go up.

They should be punished for their blatant cheating, and the fact that they have been consistently rubbish for a number of years.

Sorry Jaded you havent a clue about this and your letting your emotion gallop ahead of your common sense.

You've drawn an enormously long bow there. I think Rhino is right, you're speaking from the heart and not the brain.

Sorry Jaded you havent a clue about this and your letting your emotion gallop ahead of your common sense.

Maybe, but it's just so incredibly pathetic that in our 150th year we get ONE night game... ONE!

And it's not even just about crowds, it's about attracting sponors and advertisers.

Richmond get 9 night games, and they are crap to watch, and the Roos get 9 night games and they have less members than us.

Where's the sense in that?

Maybe, but it's just so incredibly pathetic that in our 150th year we get ONE night game... ONE!

And it's not even just about crowds, it's about attracting sponors and advertisers.

Richmond get 9 night games, and they are crap to watch, and the Roos get 9 night games and they have less members than us.

Where's the sense in that?

Richmond pull big crowds and TV stations like them for ratings.

There is undoubtedly a sweet heart deal to get Kangas to the Gold Coast. And I bet they are playing a big drawing club.

Big deal its our 150th year. Where is that talk about in the TV rights contract?

Guest fatty
Richmond pull big crowds and TV stations like them for ratings.

There is undoubtedly a sweet heart deal to get Kangas to the Gold Coast. And I bet they are playing a big drawing club.

Big deal its our 150th year. Where is that talk about in the TV rights contract?

.......and there's no compensation for Melbourne.

I agree with you Jaded. Its crap.

Melbourne’s 150th year is being swept under the carpet on Foxtel, Sunday afternoons. Believe me, Demitriou WILL make a big song and dance about 150 years of football and our opening game will sneak by, unnoticed.

The divide between the richer and poorer clubs gets bigger every year and we rationalise it by accepting a handout.

I don’t buy the argument that unless we win, we won’t get bums on seats and therefore don’t deserve to get the exposure. We just accept being classified as a 2nd rate club to the other teams by the AFL and its biased, money-grubbing draw.

I don’t buy the argument that unless we win, we won’t get bums on seats and therefore don’t deserve to get the exposure.

That's neither here nor there with the AFL.

Its the same draw that drives the TV rights that puts up the bulk of the grubby money that goes into MFC.

Exactly. I wrote an essay on this about 15 posts up -- I should've just used your one liner. Summed up perfectly.

i'm pretty sure my essay which pointed out that the big teams get the good draws and the small teams get the bad draws has nothing to do with how you perform on field. its only about money, not about winning. and for us to get bums on seats we'll need 10-20 years of success...

Guest fatty
Its the same draw that drives the TV rights that puts up the bulk of the grubby money that goes into MFC.

And that’s where it’s wrong.

The AFL become our biggest sponsor and, at every TV rights negotiation the viability of the club is called into question. Do you accept this?

If we get a fairer deal, we get exposure and attract sponsors rather than social welfare.

Conceding to a draw where Melbourne play the majority on Foxtel, with 15 Sunday games and 1 night game is gutless.

I don’t accept the “blockbuster game” concept. Each match in a round is equal in its merits of what timeslot it deserves. Whether Carlton plays Collingwood on a Friday night or a Sunday twilight is meaningless.