The cheesy early-90s music thread

Skuit

I love 80s synth pop and New Wave, basically my favourite genre, and pretty much anything by Jim Steinman from the 80s and 90s, but if we're talking 90s cheese, I'm surprised by the lack of awesome that is La Bouche and just generally Euro house.

Then there's anything by ATB...

Sorry.... gotta duck back to Binners' office.

• Clap 1

13 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Just cause... (it was the first time I had noticed the female form as a 10yo)

I was enamored with the woman from Promises who sang " Baby it's you."

Plus Kate Bush.

• Love 2

19 hours ago, Demonstone said:

We never heard the answer to this teaser.  I am curious!

5 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Do share.

Fellahs, I’d be happy to give the answer but I’d first need permission from my good buddy, @Skuit. He might be embarrassed by peeps knowing the answer (as well he should be). And since he’s not exactly Speedy Gonzalos when it comes to reading/replying to texts, the mystery will remain unsolved for the time being. 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:52 AM, Demonstone said:

We never heard the answer to this teaser.  I am curious!

As WCW mentioned - or maybe envisioned - you were in for a hiding for no reason trying to guess. It's a reference to a personal medical issue, in which I was born with the membranes of my tear ducts connected to my vocal chords and can't sing karaoke without involuntarily crying, with the curious exceptions of Skyhook's 'Horror Movie', 'I go to Rio' by Peter Allen, and the Paul Simon classic 'You can call me Al'. My name isn't Al though, or Betty, and neither me nor my baby has ever been to Rio, which adds to the intrigue for the medical professionals currently studying me. 

Edited by Skuit
  • Clap 1

WCW and I met after another Simon, not Paul but Red, put us in contact courtesy of a request from my scientific handlers. Apparently Walking had some involvement with the Skyhooks as well? Still not sure how that song relates to me, except that even singing 'Happy Birthday' is a 'Horror Movie' due to my condition, my salty tears spoiling every frosted cake in the vicinity and upsetting any gathered family members. 

On 8/11/2023 at 11:37 AM, Engorged Onion said:

Just cause... (it was the first time I had noticed the female form as a 10yo)

Snap. Not the awesome German band behind 80s power-tracks 'I've got the Power' and 'Rhythm is a Dancer', but as to my personal life story. Loved Collette a little bit too much. 

Binman's personal assistant floated 'Rhythm is a Dancer' earlier, alongside some La Bouche classics. However, I fear such openness may cost him his current job, and he may have to go back to making films and coaching kids' football, which sounds suspect when written together alongside the promotion of Cher's vocally-distorted abominations. (Please note, I love Adam and this is only a friendly jape). x

3 hours ago, Skuit said:

As WCW mentioned - or maybe envisioned - you were in for a hiding for no reason trying to guess. It's a reference to a personal medical issue, in which I was born with the membranes of my tear ducts connected to my vocal chords and can't sing karaoke without involuntarily crying, with the curious exceptions of Skyhook's 'Horror Movie', 'I go to Rio' by Peter Allen, and the Paul Simon classic 'You can call me Al'. My name isn't Al though, or Betty, and neither me nor my baby has ever been to Rio, which adds to the intrigue for the medical professionals currently studying me. 

3 hours ago, Skuit said:

WCW and I met after another Simon, not Paul but Red, put us in contact courtesy of a request from my scientific handlers. Apparently Walking had some involvement with the Skyhooks as well? Still not sure how that song relates to me, except that even singing 'Happy Birthday' is a 'Horror Movie' due to my condition, my salty tears spoiling every frosted cake in the vicinity and upsetting any gathered family members. 

You’re so full of [censored] it’s not funny. 😁

Oh, you’ve got a medical condition alright, but it ain’t got to do with involuntarily crying while singing. Yeah nah, your medical condition would have even Freud taking down his shingle.

And to refresh your terminally bad memory: I was unknowingly filmed in my school uniform, the footage of which was used in the Skyhooks music clip for their “Women In Uniform” song. (Totes inappropriate since I was prepubescent at the time.) Had the music clip been for “Horror Movie” you might remember this story, since that’s one of only three songs you can (purportedly) sing without crying *huge LOLs* 😁