Gary Ayres Player of the Finals

Redleg

19 minutes ago, picket fence said:

There is also the Gary Rohan WIFA. WORST IN FINALS AWARD. This years winner was................ Gary Rohan

I find it surprising that given his history of finals failure, they have persisted and extended his contract. No wonder young players want out.

Let me be the devil's advocate. The other way of looking at this award is that it rewards consistency over a series recognising that someone might play 4 excellent games yet not win anything for all that effort. What the voting system reflects is that McRae's four games were better than anyone else's in total, whether the others played 1, 2, 3 or 4.

In other words, it's a glorified participation award. And I'm happy with it like that. 

• 11 months later...

I see that the AFL has now changed the voting system for the Gary Ayres Award for 2022. Petracca would have won the 2021 award under the new system - time for Macrae to hand his medal back.

"The AFL Coaches Association has announced a change to the vote weighting for the Gary Ayres Award for this season, with any Grand Final votes issued to receive a 1.5 times loading."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/846941/gary-ayres-award-cats-superstar-s-perfect-10-swans-duo-in-hunt

• Like 1