My 3 word player analysis V the Loins

joeboy

Bit unfair. I'd prefer you to start with the bloke whose number you wear on your back (I'm assuming you've got 16 on your back?).

McKenzie is immune to criticism is he ?

His kicking was awful, he wasn't the only one, but there were some terrible kicks, with not a lot of pressure. Jack Trengove was another who made some clangers.

His kicking was awful, he wasn't the only one, but there were some terrible kicks, with not a lot of pressure. Jack Trengove was another who made some clangers.

Not immune whatsoever HT, I just prefer my leaders to lead by example, and would expect supporters to share the same view. Hard to kick the workers in the guts when their superiors are making the same mistakes.

I don't think it is unfair at all.

I absolutely love the way Jordie goes about it and he's one of my favourites to watch - which is probably why his atrocious kicking irked me so much. It's not hard to expect a player to be able to kick the thing forwards 30+ metres, especially under minimal pressure.

I'm probably biassed, but I've been pretty happy with the way Grimes has gone about his captaincy since a couple of weeks into the season - he had an off game but I don't knock players overall for one poor game. Especially when there's so much else to worry about on our list. Joel MacDonald is another who goes about it full of intent but can't produce, Spencer hasn't come on as we'd hoped, Bate just can't involve himself consistently in games, Frawley didn't seem himself, I'm not too sure what Magner's role is.

What I really got from yesterday were three things - we desperately, desperately needed Mitch Clark. I think the game would've been very different if he'd played, simply by going by our amount of inside 50s. We also need extra polish in the midfield and a small crumber.

Billy, you're kidding if you think I'll single out Jack Grimes for criticism before mentioning Brent Moloney.

McKensie has a lot of good attributes but he was a liability with ball in hand against the Lions. If he can't give it by hand he struggles. He had 9 clangers aginst the Lions. I would've thought half of them were snaps across his body that went forward 20 -30 metres to an opposition player.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, McKenzie needs to handball more. Once the spread is working properly, and he actually has someone to handball TO, I'd be surprised if he kicks more than 5 times a game.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, McKenzie needs to handball more. Once the spread is working properly, and he actually has someone to handball TO, I'd be surprised if he kicks more than 5 times a game.

I just don't understand why some players can't kick though. It's inexcusable in today's game, and the team shouldn't have to compensate for such players. Just as there's no excuse, IMO, for players kicking off only one foot.

Blease needs to do a lot more than have 10 disposals and 2 tackles per game. He has undoubted talent, but he has a long way to go. He wouldn't be getting a game in most/any top 8 sides.

Watts was exposed by a good key forward. Obviously he has a lot to learn and defending is one of them. We all love the ball in his hands, but he too is a mile off where he needs to be.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Blease need to do a lot more than have 10 disposals and 2 tackles per game. He has undoubted talent, but he has a long way to go. He wouldn't be getting a game in most/any top 8 sides.

Watts was exposed by a good key forward. Obviously he has a lot to learn and defending is one of them. We all love the ball in his hands, but he too is a mile off where he needs to be.

Would be interested to know who you think would...?

Blease needs to do a lot more than have 10 disposals and 2 tackles per game. He has undoubted talent, but he has a long way to go. He wouldn't be getting a game in most/any top 8 sides.

It's a good observation.

I look at someone like Jamie Elliot - great hands, poise, finds a bit of the footy but if he doesn't, he does the hard stuff. Only 9 touches on Saturday but 15 (!) tackles. There's a case to be made, in my mind, that good sides can make young players look a whole lot better.

Blease wasn't our biggest concern from yesterday - 2 goals 1 behind and showed some good attacking instinct (as ever). Certainly has areas of his game to improve though.

How about you do the exercise and I'll see if I agree.

Obviously difficult due to some teams being dominant in some areas where others may be crying out for those areas.

But, in brief, and judging the top 8 teams, I'd only see the following players making a majority of the top teams;

* Frawley

* Clark

* Grimes

That is all.

Trengove - playing on empty

Grimes - gave a damn

Watts - couldn't find rhythm

Bate - second half effort

Frawley - seemingly without passion

Sylvia - started to perform

McKenzie - disposal was amateurish

Dunn - not the worst

Blease - some isolated cameos

Garland - no heroics today

Moloney - no involvement again

McDonald - absence was felt

Rivers - not the answer

Macdonald - our best defender

Sellar - was always solid

Martin - looked totally lost

Tapscott - angry but useless

Howe - classy but absent

Spencer - waste of space

Bail - had little involvement

Nicholson - brave but careless

Magner - is obviously tiring

MARTIN?

Is this a typo? His first game back and was always involved and tried his butt off. Sellar? he's a worry "going forward". Sylvia -"started to perform"..did you go last week? Frawley's is interesting. Apparently knocked on Neeld's door asking for MC gig at FF. Perhaps he was [censored] off.

MARTIN?

Is this a typo? His first game back and was always involved and tried his butt off. Sellar? he's a worry "going forward". Sylvia -"started to perform"..did you go last week? Frawley's is interesting. Apparently knocked on Neeld's door asking for MC gig at FF. Perhaps he was [censored] off.

I keep heearing about Frawley's poor game, and I have to admit, I didn't fully concentrate on the game yesterday, but didn't he keep Brown to 1 goal?

Obviously difficult due to some teams being dominant in some areas where others may be crying out for those areas.

But, in brief, and judging the top 8 teams, I'd only see the following players making a majority of the top teams;

* Frawley

* Clark

* Grimes

That is all.

There are plenty of fringe players in top 8 sides that would struggle to get a game with us. That's just how it tends to work.

Players like Rivers, Garland, Watts, and Tom McDonald, would attract interest from a club like Hawthorn, or Adelaide, because their tall backs are their achilles heel. Even Cheney has played games at Hawthorn. It's far too simplistic to say that we'd only have 3. Most club would love Jeremy Howe just for starters. How would Sylvia look running down the SCG ?

Back to the drawing board, Billy.

There are plenty of fringe players in top 8 sides that would struggle to get a game with us. That's just how it tends to work.

Players like Rivers, Garland, Watts, and Tom McDonald, would attract interest from a club like Hawthorn, or Adelaide, because their tall backs are their achilles heel. Even Cheney has played games at Hawthorn. It's far too simplistic to say that we'd only have 3. Most club would love Jeremy Howe just for starters. How would Sylvia look running down the SCG ?

Back to the drawing board, Billy.

It's not back to the drawing board at all BH. The fact is, and you have proven my point, the value that Sydney would see in Sylvia probably isn't shared amongst the other 7 clubs in the top 8.

I strongly doubt Rivers would be welcomed at Collingwood - they showed how easily he can be exposed last year. But that's not the say Hawthorn wouldn't take him. Same as Howe - I couldn't see him getting a game at Geelong at the moment, they have too many similar players - he would be a fringe player at best.

I think the 3 names I mentioned would be welcomed (ie in the starting 21/22) by most clubs in the top 8. If you did an individual analysis on each top 8 team, sure there would be other names, but the regular performers would be those 3.

Edit - tidying my post up!

Edited by billy2803

Spot on H_T

IF there was the worse kicking award these two would have tied for the honour yesterday.

His poor kicking seriously restricts Mckenzie value.