Garry Lyon's six-month rescue mission over

Brayshaws' Helmet

Your sycophatic hoopla on Stynes would make a North Korean propaganda director blush with embarrassment.

We all need our heroes, RR.

Whether you a poor soul suffering under terrible regime after terrible regime without any idea of what it is like to live in any way other than hopelessness, or whether you are North Korean...

Guest Thomo

With all the Lyon love, let's not forget why he had to get involved. He mouthed off from the comfort of his radio chair demanding that Stynes take action regarding Bailey, after Lyon had previously rejected Jimmy's requests for assistance. It was only after Stynes, looking extremely unwell, had to front a media conference as a result of Lyon calling him out, that "Lyon stepped in to save the club."

I wanted Bailey gone, but what Lyon did to Jimmy should not be forgotten.

Edited by Thomo

With all the Lyon love, let's not forget why he had to get involved. He mouthed off from the comfort of his radio chair demanding that Stynes take action regarding Bailey, after Lyon had previously rejected Jimmy's requests for assistance. It was only after Stynes, looking extremely unwell, had to front a media conference as a result of Lyon calling him out, that "Lyon stepped in to save the club."

I wanted Bailey gone, but what Lyon did to Jimmy should not be forgotten.

But forgiven?

Garry said alot of things we were saying.

He did his bit.

We can forgive, forget, and do whatever else we need to do to recapture some optimism as a club.

Soon, a great hero of the club will leave us, and I am happy for us lionise (no pun intended) another.

It's good for the soul.

The reality of the situation is that he is a terminally ill man with advanced secondary cancer throughout his body. He is on borrowed time and is lucky to have got this far.

Your sycophatic hoopla on Stynes would make a North Korean propaganda director blush with embarrassment.

I am well aware of the situation Rhino and i am also happy that jim sits in the chair,even if you are not.

Of course, you're right. We are no doubt witnessing the result of the work of many but we all know where the buck stopped and whose heads were and are on the chopping block if these initiatives were to end in failure. Garry was on a hiding to nothing.

It's now up to others at the club to follow things through to what we all hope is going to be a successful outcome but at this point in time, I marvel at what he and Don (and those others) have achieved whilst filling in the breach for their mate.

I thing it's a great story and could be the (re)making of our club.

I should let this go as I know many won't want to read or hear criticism of the club at this most optimistic time of year. It was the same last year and all turned sour fairly quickly.

I give little credit to the Board because they were primarily responsible for the fiasco that followed the Geelong game and when you compare the way in which Footscray and Adelaide handled their coaching transition and the way we did I can only come to the conclusion that we were amateur hour. As a supporter I was embarrassed. I was embarrassed by the Geelong loss but I was so much more embarrassed by the 48 hours that followed. This was the makings of the Board and G Lyon with McLardy a prominent figure in the post match and a totally inappropriate figure before hand.

That's my interpretation of history pure and simple.

What has happened since is that the MFC has recovered wonderfully. Operational head Cameron Schwab would be front and centre I'd think and he would have had help from Matt Green, Tim Harirington, Todd Viney, Chris Connolly and perhaps many others. Whilst Don McLardy and others on the Board would have been involved in implementing these changes they would not have had the contacts or footy smarts to expedite them. Garry can be the messiah this time round because as rpfc says, we need our heros and I believe Garry has been part of a team that has put us in a good situation. But we appear to be in that "good situation" every January.

For me the hero is probably Cam Schwab who has overseen a major restructure, additional AFL funding, as good a compensation package for Scully as we'd ever get and the generation of optimism in a very short period of time.

• Like 3

I should let this go as I know many won't want to read or hear criticism of the club at this most optimistic time of year. It was the same last year and all turned sour fairly quickly.

I give little credit to the Board because they were primarily responsible for the fiasco that followed the Geelong game and when you compare the way in which Footscray and Adelaide handled their coaching transition and the way we did I can only come to the conclusion that we were amateur hour. As a supporter I was embarrassed. I was embarrassed by the Geelong loss but I was so much more embarrassed by the 48 hours that followed. This was the makings of the Board and G Lyon with McLardy a prominent figure in the post match and a totally inappropriate figure before hand.

That's my interpretation of history pure and simple.

What has happened since is that the MFC has recovered wonderfully. Operational head Cameron Schwab would be front and centre I'd think and he would have had help from Matt Green, Tim Harirington, Todd Viney, Chris Connolly and perhaps many others. Whilst Don McLardy and others on the Board would have been involved in implementing these changes they would not have had the contacts or footy smarts to expedite them. Garry can be the messiah this time round because as rpfc says, we need our heros and I believe Garry has been part of a team that has put us in a good situation. But we appear to be in that "good situation" every January.

For me the hero is probably Cam Schwab who has overseen a major restructure, additional AFL funding, as good a compensation package for Scully as we'd ever get and the generation of optimism in a very short period of time.

I agree with a lot of what you say Fan. What happened last year had to happen, sooner the better. There were problems, they were addressed. We now have a legit Football Dept. i agree on your Cameron Schwab stance even though Caroline Wilson wouldn't!

Guest Jackie

Adelaide and the Bulldogs did not have the rarest luxury of a 186 point hiding. And Bailey was going to get another 2 years on the back of another insipid year. Finally after 4 years of delusion those 48 hours was realisation of a grave mistakes made and being made and of graver mistakes to follow. Gary Lyon was finally shaken off of his backside. People harp on how it was inappropriate that Bailey got the sack via the phone. Might have been ugly but pales into insignificance of the shameful 186 and of a wasted four years. Those 48 hours was the best thing to happen to the club IMO when the club finally cut out all the BS thats been going on and took real action.

Edited by Jackie
  • Like 1

Adelaide and the Bulldogs did not have the rarest luxury of a 186 point hiding. And Bailey was going to get another 2 years. Finally after 4 years of delusion those 48 hours was realisation of a grave mistakes made and being made and of graver mistakes to follow. Gary Lyon was finally shaken off of his backside. People harp on how it was inappropriate that Bailey got the sack via the phone. Might have been ugly but pales into insignificance of the shameful 186 and of a wasted four years. Those 48 hours was the best thing to happen to the club IMO when the club finally cut out all the BS thats been going on and took real action.

Spot On Jackie. 186 started in Western Australia against Wet coke. The Cattery debacle just bought it all to boil.

The MFC has been most efficient ever since. Sure the Football Dept. should have been addressed earlier, but at least it is now revamped. It got done. Onward we go. Thanks again Garry.

Garry was on a hiding to nothing.

FMD, you must be kidding? Breeze in for 6 months, spend more than twice as much as before on the FD, leave the actual work to others prepared to stay the course and leave labelled "the savior".

• Like 1

FMD, you must be kidding? Breeze in for 6 months, spend more than twice as much as before on the FD, leave the actual work to others prepared to stay the course and leave labelled "the savior".

And if he had done nothing you would still be giving him a hard time. As was said above Garry was on a hiding to nothing either way. I am glad he rolled up the sleeves. The club needed a kick up the aisle & got it.

.......... Your sycophatic hoopla on Stynes would make a North Korean propaganda director blush with embarrassment.

Interesting juxtaposition. Stynes and the Kim Jong dynasty?

As for the use of the word "sycophant" such an epithet is very unfair and unwarranted. But hey, RR has a 'docket' as long as your arm.

May I be so bold as to suggest, whatever Jimmy's condition, it is not for us to make "editorial" comment about it. Those closest to him and the big fella himself know best.

Whoever and whatever, we are in a much better place than we were 8 months ago.

• Like 1

Great post old.

I wonder what it says about the board that Gary is seen as having the influence he does? I wonder what it says about Jim that Gary has the influence he does. I wonder if Bailey was white-anted by Gary for about 18/12 until he went and now, lo-and-behold footy expenditure has gone through the roof?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder about the Board. And about how much longer we should accept the role of president being used as pre-palliative care. I wonder if anyone has the guts to get Jimmy to move on? If he were prime minister, he would be forced aside. If he ran policing, or health care - hell if he ran a serious business he would be moved on. If he was your accountant or GP none of you would see him - well, not for anything imporant. I think it says an awful lot that the mood of melboune supports is to canonise a living man and absolve him of his responsibilities...and line up to blame the first poor dolt who mis-fires.

At least Gary sounds like he's been an effective figure-head (at worst).

a North Korean propaganda director blush with embarrassment.

you looking at yourself in the mirror again Rhino?

Must you always put the boot in? I have great respect for Jim Stynes, always have. You should read his "whatever it takes" book. He can be the President until his last breath is taken IMO. Do you not realize that his position at the MFC is helping him to stay alive, giving him focus. I have never said he didn't need assistance, and he will get it.

But do not ever EVER belittle my respect for the big Jimma as you did earlier in this thread.

If Jimma decides to step down that is his decision, otherwise he can sit at the head of the MFC table and be involved for as long as he is able.

And if he had done nothing you would still be giving him a hard time. As was said above Garry was on a hiding to nothing either way. I am glad he rolled up the sleeves. The club needed a kick up the aisle & got it.

I'd take that kind of "hiding to nothing" in my job every year until retirement - it's a consultant's dream assignment. The main thing I admire about Garry is that he realises he's not up to the job.

My mail is that is was McLardy who actually kicked some heads and then pulled out the cheque book to get things moving. Don't underestimate him.

I think he is doing a wonderful job supporting Jimma with the day-to-day admin tasks of President, leaving Jimma free to concentrate on health, family and the broad brushed elements of club direction that are clearly very important to him.

I'd much rather have the Presidential set-up. Spiritual leader (Jimma) + implementer (Don) = Suitable arrangement for MFC

Swooper, as long as Mclardy is doing that, well, good i guess. Rumors about board functioning is all i have to go on and they were very very uncomplementary about the people and the process. Jim was the one who was suppossed to be pres, and monitoring the footy dept and battling cancer...and then sacked the coach....and then oversaw a massive recruitment process?

If he were running a hospital, he would not be chairman of the board. I think it is excusing bad practice. I think we aren't serious.

We don't yet have the full picture on the reporting structure through to the Board.

I would presume that the Executive responsible for sports performance (Neil Craig) would have some sort of reporting line to the CEO (Cameron Schwab) .You would hope that reporting arrangements do not encourage Neil and Cameron to operate independently of one another.

The press have fueled a perception that last year Cameron spent too much time on Football Department matters. We don't want to go the other extreme of removing admin, marketing, community relations from the core football business they support

I'd take that kind of "hiding to nothing" in my job every year until retirement - it's a consultant's dream assignment. The main thing I admire about Garry is that he realises he's not up to the job.

It is what it is, i won't argue that. But he got sh!t moving and for that i thank him, and as Swooper said above McClardy has been a quiet rock doing the hard yards. I have no doubt Garry is up to the job, he just was already committed to other projects.

May I be so bold as to suggest, whatever Jimmy's condition, it is not for us to make "editorial" comment about it. Those closest to him and the big fella himself know best.

What i said has been in the public domain for over two years. I cant see why it cant be referred to in the relevance of the discussion about leading the Club.

Great post old.

I wonder what it says about the board that Gary is seen as having the influence he does? I wonder what it says about Jim that Gary has the influence he does. I wonder if Bailey was white-anted by Gary for about 18/12 until he went and now, lo-and-behold footy expenditure has gone through the roof?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder about the Board. And about how much longer we should accept the role of president being used as pre-palliative care. I wonder if anyone has the guts to get Jimmy to move on? If he were prime minister, he would be forced aside. If he ran policing, or health care - hell if he ran a serious business he would be moved on. If he was your accountant or GP none of you would see him - well, not for anything imporant. I think it says an awful lot that the mood of melboune supports is to canonise a living man and absolve him of his responsibilities...and line up to blame the first poor dolt who mis-fires.

At least Gary sounds like he's been an effective figure-head (at worst).

Valid question timD indeed.

Totally agree. I think Garry has done well in the six months in a job which had significant power without the accountability and ongoing influence.

without the accountability and ongoing influence.

He certainly lacks accountability, after all, he helped select Bailey. I doubt if he lacks ongoing influence as he has a powerful role in the media and some on the Board are seduced by his aura. How else could he have played the role he did in getting Bailey sacked in 48 hours?

Its a tough gig

from the moment garry stepped in until now I can't think of one action he has performed which has raised critical comment.

on the other hand we have seen a complete transformation and enhancement of the fd and other areas of the club

garry said his role was going to be temporary and so it has ensued. he also achieved what he was requesitioned to do

obviously the transformation could not have been all done by one person. many must have contributed but garry was the 'facilitator' or 'manager' and sometimes 'instigator'

the fact that more money was made available was in part due to the demands of his solutions and his ability to sell these requirements internally

i'm not a great hollywood fan normally but credit must be given without reserve for this particular rescue mission

Its a tough gig

from the moment garry stepped in until now I can't think of one action he has performed which has raised critical comment.

on the other hand we have seen a complete transformation and enhancement of the fd and other areas of the club

garry said his role was going to be temporary and so it has ensued. he also achieved what he was requesitioned to do

obviously the transformation could not have been all done by one person. many must have contributed but garry was the 'facilitator' or 'manager' and sometimes 'instigator'

the fact that more money was made available was in part due to the demands of his solutions and his ability to sell these requirements internally

i'm not a great hollywood fan normally but credit must be given without reserve for this particular rescue mission

You haven't read much of this thread have you!! Or alternatively have dismissed much of it without explanation.

He certainly lacks accountability, after all, he helped select Bailey. I doubt if he lacks ongoing influence as he has a powerful role in the media and some on the Board are seduced by his aura. How else could he have played the role he did in getting Bailey sacked in 48 hours?

Do you think Bailey should have stayed on till years end?

I can't see how that would have helped myself. What the board did can be seen as ruthless but i believe it made the right call. I felt very sad for Bails as i think he is a fine man but 186 is what it is.

What was he going to say or implement at training that week? To me that 48 hours was when the club culture actially made a shift, which is still evolving.

Bailey wasn't sacked in 48 hours, I am certain that his position was under very close scrutiny from those who knew football from very early in the season.

Evidence was overwhelming that Bailey was just not working. I am not too sure what could have been done differently.

Lyon was able to do the job without emotion and with only the interests of the club at heart with and no allegiances.

• Like 1

You haven't read much of this thread have you!! Or alternatively have dismissed much of it without explanation.

Perhaps he just forms his own opinion without agenda.

• Like 1