Casey player review

Maldonboy38

Quotes from Melbourne website:

"Jordan Gysberts: Jordan had 14 clearances and 30 touches and was outstanding. He was really good around the stoppages and he used the ball well to set up the game. Jordan was the architect behind the game."

Tom McDonald: Tom took six marks and had eight spoils, so he defended really well. He kicked and used the ball well. Tom rebounded strongly.

Austin Wonaeamirri: I played Aussie as a midfielder and he had seven clearances up until three quarter-time. He finished with nine for the match. He showed a different type of fitness, which was good. Aussie is a smart player and it was the best game I’ve seen him play for Casey - from a consistency perspective. It was a really big game from Aussie.

Sam Blease: Sammy started a little bit slow. I had him on Shannon Byrnes, who had five touches in the first 10 minutes. I then moved Sammy off him and spoke to him about my expectations of him and then he was very good. He started to play tighter - defending first and then attacking. Sammy showed plenty of run - some players looked slow around him, which is quite amazing. He got better as the game went on.

Michael Evans: Michael is a very impressive young player. He looks like he’s a real chance in the future. He had 21 disposals and showed composure. Michael’s a good kick and is clean. He knows where to go, so for all Demon supporters, he’s one to watch coming through.

If these players played as well as stated, there is now some serious pressure building on our starting 22.

Gysberts MUST play this week.

Wonna MUST play this week.

The other three need more Casey time but will place pressure on our 22, especially our backline.

Thoughts?

PS. It also rated Newton highly but I can't, I just can't bring myself to ever consider him again. It might be unfair on a player showing form but he has played this trick numerous times before.

Edited by Demonland

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info and I have one of those keyboards that can't write the letters on the left of the M, R, E, Y, P and M keys.

What I would dearly love to see is Blease become our Half Back Flank that we so desperately need. To justify this comment, I would dearly love to see Tapscott become the Half Forward Flank that he was drated as. Tappy is our Chappy right? Chappy kicks goals and Tappy loves to kick goals. Don't turn him in to a defender pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

Any word on Strauss?

CASEY coach Brad Gotch runs through the Melbourne-listed players who played for the Scorpions in round one

Seniors Casey Scorpions 13.14 (92) d Geelong 9.11 (65)

Saturday, April 2, Casey Fields (7pm)

Sam Blease: Sammy started a little bit slow. I had him on Shannon Byrnes, who had five touches in the first 10 minutes. I then moved Sammy off him and spoke to him about my expectations of him and then he was very good. He started to play tighter - defending first and then attacking. Sammy showed plenty of run - some players looked slow around him, which is quite amazing. He got better as the game went on.

Matthew Bate: Bater worked his butt off. It was a usual Bater performance. He had 21 touches as a key forward and was running up on the wing and back inside 50. He didn't get any goals, which was probably the only down part of his day. He deserved to kick some goals.

Lucas Cook: Lucas struggled a little ...

Edited by Demonland

Quotes from Melbourne website:

"Jordan Gysberts: Jordan had 14 clearances and 30 touches and was outstanding. He was really good around the stoppages and he used the ball well to set up the game. Jordan was the architect behind the game."

Tom McDonald: Tom took six marks and had eight spoils, so he defended really well. He kicked and used the ball well. Tom rebounded strongly.

Austin Wonaeamirri: I played Aussie as a midfielder and he had seven clearances up until three quarter-time. He finished with nine for the match. He showed a different type of fitness, which was good. Aussie is a smart player and it was the best game I’ve seen him play for Casey - from a consistency perspective. It was a really big game from Aussie.

Michael Evans: Michael is a very impressive young player. He looks like he’s a real chance in the future. He had 21 disposals and showed composure. Michael’s a good kick and is clean. He knows where to go, so for all Demon supporters, he’s one to watch coming through.

If these players played as well as stated, there is now some serious pressure building on our starting 22.

Gysberts MUST play this week.

Wonna MUST play this week.

The other three need more Casey time but will place pressure on our 22, especially our backline.

Thoughts?

PS. It also rated Newton highly but I can't, I just can't bring myself to ever consider him again. It might be unfair on a player showing form but he has played this trick numerous times before.

There are plenty that these two should replace next sunday!

I would be tempted to go with Juice can he be worse than a few from Sunday?

There are plenty that these two should replace next sunday!

I would be tempted to go with Juice can he be worse than a few from Sunday?

Sorry Old Dee, we're not having a good day you and I - nothing personal!

I think bringing in Juice this week would be a big mistake. I think it's that mentality that has hurt us in the past. The mentality that I'm talking about is rewarding players for 1 good performance in the reserves. I want to see him (especially considering we've seen him before), do it on a regular basis. Do it for 3 games in a row, then you come in.

It would be different if he was in our best 22.

Edited by billy2803

I have dropped down to Casey and watched the last two Casey games. Gysberts has been very good both times and is due for a recall. Warnock has been very good also and will be the one to come in if Garland does not come up. Wonaeamirri was very scratchy in the last practice match against Port, but worked into the game against Geelong, particularly late; he is playing as a full-time midfielder. Blease gets better each time I see him.

The first ten minutes against Geelong was like the third quarter on Sunday; Casey could not get the ball over the centre line and the score was 31-0. Casey worked back into the game from that point, holding Geelong and with Newton kicking a late goal. The second quarter was a real tussle with Casey getting a goal back to trail by three at half-time. A complete change then came over the game and Casey was in total control for the rest of the game; it was a real surprise when Geelong kicked the last goal of the game to get it back to 27 points. Warnock, McDonald, Mohr, Strauss and co were just about impassable and Spencer and Gawn got right on top of Blake, West and Dawson. I can't argue with any of Gotch's comments, although, as usual, they are a touch rosy.

Edited by undeeniable

Sorry Old Dee, we're not having a good day you and I - nothing personal!

I think bringing in Juice this week would be a big mistake. I think it's that mentality that has hurt us in the past. The mentality that I'm talking about is rewarding players for 1 good performance in the reserves. I want to see him (especially considering we've seen him before), do it on a regular basis. Do it for 3 games in a row, then you come in.

It would be different if he was in our best 22.

I agree I was being a bit over the top, performances like last sunday get to me in case you have not guessed.

Re the enquiry about Strauss.

James Strauss: Straussy was good. He was an emergency for round one and didnt play last week. So James was a little bit rusty, but still did a good job.

This kid has obviously got something and the coaches like him. But we can't take too much from this assessment. One Dees fan who went to the game said the backline, including Strauss, was impassable for a good stretch of the 2nd half. I hope he can make it because we need good kicking skills to become an expectation, not a bonus.

Edited by Maldonboy38

Re the enquiry about Strauss.

James Strauss: Straussy was good. He was an emergency for round one and didn’t play last week. So James was a little bit rusty, but still did a good job.

This kid has obviously got something and the coaches like him. But we can't take too much from this assessment. One Dees fan who went to the game said the backline, including Strauss, was impassable for a good stretch of the 2nd half. I hope he can make it because we need good kicking skills to become an expectation, not a bonus.

Cheers mate.

I'm concerned about Strauss. Maybe he'd be better having a run on the wing? I know it's harsh, but I haven't seen anything in his 2 games that would suggest he can make it. And, while they are playing Tappy at HBF, and if Blease continues to play well, he may miss his opportunity.

I hesitate to say this but it's interesting that Michael Newton is named by Gotch as being our best - and this after a very limited last few months. It seems like he has been around forever but he'll turn 24 later this month.

I've seen a fair bit of Juice play in the VFL and he's gone from serviceable to dominant. For those that haven't seen him he smashes VFL games - he's simply too good for the opposition.

I agree he has been terrible at AFL level but I can't help thinking that so was Jamar. And then there is the Pod who admittedly didn't get a go at AFL early (although he did try out with several AFL clubs prior to being picked up by the Cats)as an example of talls making it late.

I reckon we'll see Juice again this year if he keeps his form up and I for one haven't written him off yet. I just can't help thinking of "donuts".

It's a tough one isn't it. Probably shows just how much of a step up it is to that big level, even from the VFL.

I still want to see Juice perform at that level on a regular basis, but while Martin continues to improve, it's hard to see him getting a game.

I hesitate to say this but it's interesting that Michael Newton is named by Gotch as being our best - and this after a very limited last few months. It seems like he has been around forever but he'll turn 24 later this month.

I've seen a fair bit of Juice play in the VFL and he's gone from serviceable to dominant. For those that haven't seen him he smashes VFL games - he's simply too good for the opposition.

I agree he has been terrible at AFL level but I can't help thinking that so was Jamar. And then there is the Pod who admittedly didn't get a go at AFL early (although he did try out with several AFL clubs prior to being picked up by the Cats)as an example of talls making it late.

I reckon we'll see Juice again this year if he keeps his form up and I for one haven't written him off yet. I just can't help thinking of "donuts".

The word and name of Michael Newton, Juice, Newts, Mick, or any other derivative should never ever again be mentioned in the same sentence as the phrase "starting 22". Sorry Snoopy but he is a living, breathing example of the no-grunt malaise that has affected the Dees for far too long. He neverseems to hurt or bleed for the ball or for the jumper.

Next.

It's a tough one isn't it. Probably shows just how much of a step up it is to that big level, even from the VFL.

I still want to see Juice perform at that level on a regular basis, but while Martin continues to improve, it's hard to see him getting a game.

The step up for juice is not the competition so much, but that will effect. But IMO, moreso his belief that he can match it.

You have to believe you fit,,, otr you won't.. He has the game to make it, if he believes in it and takes IT ON.

Edited by dee-luded

No Joel Macdonald on the report? Is he this weeks mystery injury?

He was held over as the emergency for MFC, as was Strauss last week.

i dont have a problem with newton coming in for dunn to play at CHF.

Gysberts for Jones, or maybe jetta or maric depending on whetehr the FD want to bring back Wona just yet

No Joel Macdonald on the report? Is he this weeks mystery injury?

Was the non-playing emergency, aka standby player for the Seniors.

As was Strauss last week.

SNAP! undeeniable beat me to it, and almost word for word the same!

Edited by DemonDave

Thanks for the info and I have one of those keyboards that can't write the letters on the left of the M, R, E, Y, P and M keys.

Good god, it took me almost a whole minute to work out your keyboard riddle! :wacko:

On the Juice front, the FD obviously see something in him that the many of us don't. Personally, I have never seen him perform at the level we need him to, but I like what he does for our forward structure. I don't mind him being looked at to come back in to the side for that reason. I'd be very interested to know why the club has stayed with him for so long. There must be things in his game that they think can be built on.

HaHaHa, just think it.

You don't have to do it, thats the beauty of being a supporter, or a postor on a footy forum.

On the Juice front, the FD obviously see something in him that the many of us don't. Personally, I have never seen him perform at the level we need him to, but I like what he does for our forward structure. I don't mind him being looked at to come back in to the side for that reason. I'd be very interested to know why the club has stayed with him for so long. There must be things in his game that they think can be built on.

yep my thoughts exactly

Plus Dunn, Watts and Jurrah need a kick in the arse. Watts & Jurrah are protected spiecies, neither are likley to be dropped IMO, but we need more from both of them. Dunn is almost in that experienced player catogory, so cant just relax on the back of a decent few games in 2010

We have no one as a forward who presents for the footy as a tall forward. They all play the leadup role. we need some aeriel contesting, even up the field. And at the kickouts.

Their all OS midfielders.

Watts took his first O/head grab this week.

I did take note of that given the number of people commenting on his lack of overhead contest. Another sign of development from the lad.

He's developing, But it's not fair to expect him to do the aerial stuff to make up for the others.

Put Watts onto a wing and sub Bennell, and bring in Newton to the half forward line, or the pocket. But IMO, he's better when he can roam to find space, and lose his opponents somewhat. He just seems to flow bettter roaming.