NFL

Dappa Dan

Rules of the 'Demonland' NFL tipping competition

* You get 3 picks only in any given week (but they must all be 'Away' teams)

* Anyone who correctly tips all 3 winners receives 1 point (so any number of people can win a point in any given week)

* Bonus points are up for grabs in weeks 5, 9 and 13 (2 points to all winners) whilst week 17 carries 3 points to any given winner.

* No margins or correct scores are required - just the straight winners.

* If you miss a week or come into the comp later on, there is no penalty. You just simply miss the chance to win points for that week or weeks.

* Your tips must be in before the start of Monday's games (AEST) ... or before the Friday game if you include that game. All 3 tips must be included in your post (editing your tips is strictly forbidden :) )

* The person with the most points by the end of the season wins (Kudos being the prize!)

If there are any questions or you're unsure, ask away. I think I've covered everything but I've possibly overlooked something. I'll post a 'Ladder' on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. We probably only need 5 or 6 participants to keep it going - if not, no harm done.

For those of you who just read this thread, feel free to join in the comp. It's just a bit of fun and we could do with a few more people on the thread anyway. Definitely need some more fans from the AFC.

Once again, here are the week 1 TV games. Great 1st up game too ... reckon the Broncos will prevail but it could be another close one. Packers are back at San Francisco in a tough opener for my blokes. The Falcons/Saints game should be a beauty but there are a number of other big match-ups.

If I had the time, I'd watch all 7 games that are being broadcasted ^_^

Fri Sept 6

10.30am Baltimore at Denver (OneHD & ESPN)

Mon Sept 9

3.00am Atlanta at New Orleans (Fox1)

3.00am Minnesota at Detroit (OneHD)

6.15am Green Bay at San Francisco (OneHD)

10.30am NY Giants at Dallas (OneHD & ESPN)

Tues Sept 10

9.00am Philadelphia at Washington (ESPN)

12.15pm Houston at San Diego (ESPN)

... here are all the other games in week 1

For those interested in seeing how your team is rated for this season, here's a couple of podcasts from Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal. They discuss the relative merits of each team in an 'overs and unders' format ... AFC (part 1) ... NFC (part 2)

Got 4 for the tipping comp so far ... just a reminder to the following posters that the comp starts this week (if you'd like to participate) Details of the comp can be found at the top of this page ...

Dappa Dan

Cards13

QueenC

Whispering_Jack

DemonDave

45HG

titan_uranus

Norm Smith's Curse

Strafford

DirtyDees DDC

New Age Hipster

daisycutter

rpfc

Striker 475

Adzman

MFC4Life

JT9

the master

Dr Gonzo

belzebub59

Good Times Grimes

old dee

Demon Land 7

biggestred

america de cali

Demon2

jezzzza

Entry is free! Yes, you heard it - FREE entry :)

And what's more, there is no prize for the overall winner! ... just bragging rights.

• Like 3

Just a walk in the park for Peyton ... threw for 462 yards, a 141.1 passer rating and 7 touchdowns with 0 interceptions (the best since 1969) He's all class.

Looks like Denver are heading for another big year. Early doors but The AFC West Divisional title seems to be heading the Bronco's way already. KC with Andy Reid could rack up a number of wins but Denver looked very good.

The Ravens looked to be out of synch. They did score 27 but to give up 49 points is not great by Baltimore's standards. Maybe the call will come for Ray to make a comeback!

• Like 1

Just a walk in the park for Peyton ... threw for 462 yards, a 141.1 passer rating and 7 touchdowns with 0 interceptions (the best since 1969) He's all class.

Looks like Denver are heading for another big year. Early doors but The AFC West Divisional title seems to be heading the Bronco's way already. KC with Andy Reid could rack up a number of wins but Denver looked very good.

The Ravens looked to be out of synch. They did score 27 but to give up 49 points is not great by Baltimore's standards. Maybe the call will come for Ray to make a comeback!

Injuries to the ravens made it hard but they can't just try and out score teams they need to defend as well. It is Round 1 but the defense must be a concern for Baltimore. Peyton oh Peyton what a performance. With his receiving core they are going to be hard to stop. I have tipped them for the superbowl. John Elway must be sitting back stroking a white cat and laughing like a criminal mastermind.

• Like 1

Like to enter the tipping competition but haven't the slightest clue about the teams other than that San Fran will win the Superbowl.

Bring it on.

BTW Does anyone know who Paul Roos supports?

Isn't Mrs Roos from San Diego? I have a clue about other teams and this tipping competition will go horribly wrong like my supercoach team, any bets I put on and AFL tipping. I wouldn't worry too much.

Isn't Mrs Roos from San Diego? I have a clue about other teams and this tipping competition will go horribly wrong like my supercoach team, any bets I put on and AFL tipping. I wouldn't worry too much.

If a Chargers fan suddenly appears on this thread, it may well be the great man! ^_^ I'm guessing he'd be a fan of the NFL.

In other news ... here's a couple of columns from 'Grantland' by Bill Simmons ... AFC Power Poll & NFC Power Poll

THE KARDASHIANS

14. Dallas Cowboys

Who's the best "Overrated, Underrated or Properly Rated?" argument in the entire league? Antonio Ramiro Romo, that's who. You can argue both sides until you're blue in the face.

Then you think about Romo's record those last two years (16-16), his playoff record (1-3), the unfortunate luck that continually undermines him (like Dez Bryant's fingernail landing out of bounds on a game-winning score against the Giants last year), or even that you could say the words "pulling a Romo" and people would know what that means.

The Giants are at Big D for SNF on Monday morning (10.30am our time) Always a good match-up and the game often ends up with a close finish.

Edited by Macca

Watched the game Friday night and as glad o see it back. Broncos looked great, prob with Flacco is he will play average for so long then turn it on for a quarter or 5 minutes, which is ok when your D is the best around or near enough.

Looking forward to tomorrow's games.

With no Ray Lewis, no Ed Reed and no Anquan Boldin, amongst others, I think the Ravens will struggle if they dont get back to their ultra defensive ways.

Flacco also now has to justify that huge new contract he signed..

Losing your opening round to a divisional rival isn't a great start. It's panic stations for Ponder already. Lions defence looks a lot more solid this year. The addition of Reggie Bush gives the Lions a complete offence as well. Peterson, opening play 78 yard TD! But that was about it from my vikings.

Rams with their first round win for 7 years.

48 yarder to win it, J. Cook with 2 TD's in his first game, should have been three.

Good start for the Rams...keeping a lid on it....... Lol

How did Austin go?

Losing your opening round to a divisional rival isn't a great start. It's panic stations for Ponder already. Lions defence looks a lot more solid this year. The addition of Reggie Bush gives the Lions a complete offence as well. Peterson, opening play 78 yard TD! But that was about it from my vikings.

Yeah, watched all of your game as well as the Packers/49ers match. You started off well but Detroit were too good. As you said, Bush makes a big difference. Our division is wide open with Chicago winning as well today.

As for the Packers, we played a very good game and our defence wasn't as bad as what might be indicated by the yardage that the 49ers gained. Kaepernick and Boldin were immense (why on earth did the Ravens let Anquan go?) We just couldn't stop either of them. Whenever San Francisco bring their 'A' game this season, they will beat up on sides. They've got some weapons.

It was a terrific match of high quality and I wasn't disappointed with our effort - could have gone either way in the end. Rodgers was his usual self but it wasn't enough. Lacy had a couple of nice carries but the better team won.

As for the other games, the Jets found a way to win (ya gotta hand it to Rex ... Geno had a good game!) KC had a big win and they could be in for a decent year. Rams, Colts, Seattle and Pats all had close wins. Not sure what is going on with Steelers? (I picked 'em to win that division :wacko: )

The Saints winning today throws that Division wide open - are they back in business? Rob Ryan as the Defensive co-ordinator earned his money today - great finish. Miami won a game they had to win.

SNF was fairly messy for the most part but it livened up in the 4th quarter. Thought Eli was gonna pull it out of the fire for a minute there but not to be. Overall, a mistake riddled game. Bit of a rusty opening week but we've still got a double header tomorrow! Both games could be close and I'll be interested to see how Rivers goes - he's at the crossroads a bit and I hope he comes good. At one stage a few years ago, he was going to be the next big thing.

Edit: I guess the other story was the late tackle on Kaepernick by Clay Matthews - turned out to be quite costly for the Packers. The 'down' ended up being replayed (which led to an immediate touchdown) and then Rodgers copped the 'Evener upper' a couple of plays later! Not only did Green Bay lose out on the deal, we've given the 49ers even more ammunition for our next match ... Egads! :)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Yeah, watched all of your game as well as the Packers/49ers match. You started off well but Detroit were too good. As you said, Bush makes a big difference. Our division is wide open with Chicago winning as well today.

As for the Packers, we played a very good game and our defence wasn't as bad as what might be indicated by the yardage that the 49ers gained. Kaepernick and Boldin were immense (why on earth did the Ravens let Anquan go?) We just couldn't stop either of them. Whenever San Francisco bring their 'A' game this season, they will beat up on sides. They've got some weapons.

It was a terrific match of high quality and I wasn't disappointed with our effort - could have gone either way in the end. Rodgers was his usual self but it wasn't enough. Lacy had a couple of nice carries but the better team won.

As for the other games, the Jets found a way to win (ya gotta hand it to Rex ... Geno had a good game!) KC had a big win and they could be in for a decent year. Rams, Colts, Seattle and Pats all had close wins. Not sure what is going on with Steelers? (I picked 'em to win that division :wacko: )

The Saints winning today throws that Division wide open - are they back in business? Rob Ryan as the Defensive co-ordinator earned his money today - great finish. Miami won a game they had to win.

h

SNF was fairly messy for the most part but it livened up in the 4th quarter. Thought Eli was gonna pull it out of the fire for a minute there but not to be. Overall, a mistake riddled game. Bit of a rusty opening week but we've still got a double header tomorrow! Both games could be close and I'll be interested to see how Rivers goes - he's at the crossroads a bit and I hope he comes good. At one stage a few years ago, he was going to be the next big thing.

Edit: I guess the other story was the late tackle on Kaepernick by Clay Matthews - turned out to be quite costly for the Packers. The 'down' ended up being replayed (which led to an immediate touchdown) and then Rodgers copped the 'Evener upper' a couple of plays later! Not only did Green Bay lose out on the deal, we've given the 49ers even more ammunition for our next match ... Egads! :)

I though Matthews was going to take off Kap's head on the sideline. A massive stuff up by the refs. Pretty good effort by Green Bay though. Why is Boldin in a 49ers uniform? He dominated and i'm sure Flacco is real happy about his departure.

From the looks of it Oakland didn't disgrace themselves and KC and Arizona are on the up as well. The Sean Payton factor is in full swing. Saints look real good. Yes the Jets found a way to win but I bet the Jets organization are having a board meeting trying to figure out how to wedge some more drama into their club as a hard fought win is boring for them.

• Like 1

Big comeback win by the Texans - thought the Chargers had a big enough lead. San Diego just seem to have forgotten how to win.

Chip Kelly and the Eagles hung on as well - the up tempo offense being a feature of their game. McCoy had a big game for Philadelphia. They're another team that could cause a few headaches in the NFC East.

In the tipping comp only 'cfh' and myself tipped 3 winners - strangely enough both our teams lost whilst pantaloons, DemonDave and Gogoroth didn't pick up a point but their teams won. Has the comp got some sort of reverse mozz attached to it already ^_^

The Ladder

1 - cowboy from hell

1 - Macca

and equal 3rd ...

0 - Gorgoroth

0 - pantaloons

0 - DemonDave

0 - 45HG

0 - Norm Smith's Curse

It's not too late to enter - details at the top of this page

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard 45 ... (I've taken the liberty of adding you to the 'Ladder') :)

In other news ... pertaining to Friday's big Divisional clash between the Pats and Jets, I came across this article ... don't ya just love Rex! ...

... LaDainian Tomlinson: Rex Ryan said he was going to punch Bill Belichick (LT tells the story at about 3.30 into the Video which accompanies the article)

"He was motivating his guys and he wanted to jump it off," LT added. " ... Our coach showed confidence that he has in us (and) in himself. He can be joking and lighten the mood at the same time while being serious about the competition."

• Like 1

Sorry I missed this I'll come in this weekend.

I was told that no one goes or admits to supporting the chargers lol. Could be moving back to LA potentially.

Put you on the 'Ladder' NSC. ^_^

Huge game next week on SNF - your blokes are at home to the 49ers. Should be a cracker (the 12th man could break all decibel levels!)

Yeah, the Chargers really should have put that one away. They just needed to get a field goal to almost guarantee the win. Credit to Houston though.